Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Gaspode wrote: »
    Any of those peeps you Rashers? :)

Yeah... they held me by the hand and made me walk.... I had a deprived childhood. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The guy working O'Connell St. near the Savoy was still there in the 80s. I remember him snapping me a few times, but I never bought any from him. Not sure when he finished up - you'd probably have to have half a dozen licences, public liability insurance, and drop a few brown envelopes to the right people to run a simple street business like that nowadays.

Gaspode wrote: »
    The guy working O'Connell St. near the Savoy was still there in the 80s. I remember him snapping me a few times, but I never bought any from him. Not sure when he finished up - you'd probably have to have half a dozen licences, public liability insurance, and drop a few brown envelopes to the right people to run a simple street business like that nowadays.

I think modern digital cameras have killed off that piece of old dublin.

Speaking of old.....

Anyone who ever read of the 1916 Rising will have come across the part where the Lancers galloped from Parnell St down O'Connell St towards the GPO. They almost immediately came under fire from the GPO garrison.

One of the casualties....

1916AttackonGPO.jpg

I was just studying the photo above, and then the one below.... and it seems that the people who gathered to look on didn't have a grasp of the seriousness of the situation.... or else flying bullets didn't bother them.

1916203.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rashers wrote: »
    I was just studying the photo above, and then the one below.... and it seems that the people who gathered to look on didn't have a grasp of the seriousness of the situation.... or else flying bullets didn't bother them.

1916203.jpg

More to the point, whose the monument in the foreground on O'Connell bridge dedicated to?.

I've never noticed it before.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    More to the point, whose the monument in the foreground on O'Connell bridge dedicated to?.

I've never noticed it before.

That was William Smith O'Brien who was tried by the British for high treason and was sentenced to be hanged, drawn, and quartered. Long story about how he didn't die (the sentence was commuted to transportation for life to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania)) and came back to Ireland.... but there's a bit about him here.

The monument was moved and is now in O'Connell Street.

That was William Smith O'Brien who was tried by the British for high treason and was sentenced to be hanged, drawn, and quartered. Long story about how he didn't die (the sentence was commuted to transportation for life to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania)) and came back to Ireland.... but there's a bit about him here.

The monument was moved and is now in O'Connell Street.

Mmmm, The peculiar case of Willian Smith O'Brian!.

/Grabs coat..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

More to the point, whose the monument in the foreground on O'Connell bridge dedicated to?
    That was William Smith O'Brien .....

............The monument was moved and is now in O'Connell Street.

Here it is (taken April '08).

MonumentWilliamSmithOBrien-1.jpg

Thanks for the pic Wish. I wasn't sure where in the street exactly his monument was.

Ever come across the old Q&A;

Q. How many statues are there in O'Connell St?

A.
    One (at the taxi rank), all the rest are monuments.

...exits stage left....

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

I think modern digital cameras have killed off that piece of old dublin.

Speaking of old.....

Anyone who ever read of the 1916 Rising will have come across the part where the Lancers galloped from Parnell St down O'Connell St towards the GPO. They almost immediately came under fire from the GPO garrison.

One of the casualties....

1916AttackonGPO.jpg

Looks like a casualty from an earlier skirmish.
    Notice the horse has no saddle on, or is it any early attempt at the Shergar scam?

• Advertisement

ajc100 wrote: »
    Looks like a casualty from an earlier skirmish.
    Notice the horse has no saddle on, or is it any early attempt at the Shergar scam?

The Lancers only charged the GPO once. But judging by the soldiers in the picture they're taking a break, perhaps after a skirmish -- they're having a smoke.

I'd say the horse's tack would have been removed almost immediately after it was shot.

Or perhaps looters saw an opportunity for something to bring to the pawnshop. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Obviously, they didnt get the memo - "Please remember there will be a rising this weekend. Citizens are advised to avoid the following streets......"

Strikes me that it demonstrates that most Dublin people had little or no interest in a rising (other than as a spectator sport), but perhaps that's one for the politics forum.

Photo taken during the attack on the Custom House, May 1921.

customhouse.jpg

A New York Times account of the attack can be read in PDF format here.

Ever come across the old Q&A;

Q. How many statues are there in O'Connell St?
    Yes, I heard that one many years ago from a work colleague.

His other one used to be:

How many squares are there in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If youre being pedantic i believe there is only one truly 'square' square - mountjoy if I recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

within the city limits wish?

If youre being pedantic i believe there is only one truly 'square' square - mountjoy if I recall
    Yes, it's exactly 600 feet by 600 feet.

The other "squares" are rectangles/quadrangles.

And isn't Brighton Square a triangle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Is the trivia question "How many Georgian Squares in Dublin?"
    Mountpleasant, Parnell, Mountjoy, Fitzwilliam and Merrion. Mountjoy being the only true square.

Very good slide show of Sheriff St here.

Not sure of the year, could be '80s.

Here's one photo from the slide show.

sheriffst.jpg

Have a read of the story below the slide show too.

• Advertisement

sheriffst.jpg
    It's changed beyond recognition. The only feature that links both pics is the large wall in the distance on Commons Street.

SheriffStreetLowerC-1.jpg

Great comparison photo Wish. Thanks for that.

Now a question for someone. Did that wall ever go by the name of the boundary wall?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The kids I know from the area call it that.

Dating the photos - they would be late 80s judging by the kids I can identify. Sadly a number of them no longer with us.

Great comparison photo Wish. Thanks for that.

Now a question for someone. Did that wall ever go by the name of the boundary wall?

For as long as I remember its been called The Boundary Wall.

It's changed beyond recognition. The only feature that links both pics is the large wall in the distance on Commons Street.

And Noctors pub!.

The old block was Laurences Mansions, and the shuttered shop was a butchers and veg shop but I can't remember the name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

And Noctors pub!.

The old block was Laurences Mansions, and the shuttered shop was a butchers and veg shop but I can't remember the name.

Is the chinese takaway thats on the right of the street there, not an original building? I was pretty young when they were knocking the old flats down bit i think i remember that being the case. was a chipper at the time no?

Masada wrote: »
    Is the chinese takaway thats on the right of the street there, not an original building?
    Yes, it appears to be older than the others. Here's another image looking eastwards with the chinese take-away on the left. Noctor's pub is just out of picture on the right.

SheriffStreetLowerCCEastwards-1.jpg

Masada wrote: »
    Is the chinese takaway thats on the right of the street there, not an original building? I was pretty young when they were knocking the old flats down bit i think i remember that being the case. was a chipper at the time no?

Yes there was a chipper there - horrible chipper it was too!.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Isn't it only called 'Boundary Wall'? There and the other part that remains on Amien St.? (Rumoured to have been built by French prisoners of war). It went up after the 2cd lock went in as a snitchy letter arrived on the desk of someone in charge of that part of the docks saying that there was collusion between the watch gaurds and robbers so they popped up a big boundary wall.

• Advertisement

The wall was supposed to be removed under the CHDDA 1987 Master Plan but instead its height was increased with poles and netting.

CommonsStreetWide-1.jpg

Advertisement