Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MYTOTE

Re the man with the beret looking through the books. Is he the one who sold books on Henry st. outside Roches, or was he on the corner of Moore st. had a funny wooden display board?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm almost certain Degsy posted this earlier in the thread - YOUR BANNED FOR A MONTH :P

And the way we dressed back in 1983 - no hoodies here!.

Any of the older Ballymun members might know some of these heads (I took the photo so I'm not in it) and who can name the concert? (Dalymount Park).

attachment.php?attachmentid=77582&stc=1&d=1239973259

Guy in the middle looks like a fella called martin, used to work in the fish shop, who oddly enough i walked past today on grafton street. Might be too young to be him though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Someone put together a music video featuring Quackser Fortune Has A Cousin In The Bronx

Some other clips - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_playlists&search_query=quackser+fortune&uni=1

I have this on DVD, must pull it out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 limejuice

I've done no work since about 4 o'clock yesterday when I stumbled on this thread. Absolutely fantastic stuff. Now I have finally made it to the end of 50 pages ... I had to register in order to say thanks everyone.

Someone asked a while back about Anderson, Stanford & Ridgeway. I think I am right in saying they used to be at the bottom of Dawson Street, the building that is now Waterstones. It was Laura Ashley before that & used to have an amazing staircase which was also part of it as A, S & R.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Latchy wrote: »
    Some recent historical Dublin vids from my you tube page .

Latchy just when I think someone has set the standard in this thread, someone goes and posts an absolute cracker and raise's the bar further - brilliant, thanks.

iMax wrote: »
    Someone put together a music video featuring Quackser Fortune Has A Cousin In The Bronx

Some other clips - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_playlists&search_query=quackser+fortune&uni=1

I have this on DVD, must pull it out again

Brilliant, I've just purchased the DVD on ebay now!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Brilliant, I've just purchased the DVD on ebay now!.

You won't be disapointed. I've seen it several times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Latchy just when I think someone has set the standard in this thread, someone goes and posts an absolute cracker and raise's the bar further - brilliant, thanks.
    Thanks Javon Tasty Manger , much appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

A couple more photos from the North side, sorry about quality of these, looks like someone was eating their tea off them!

Cuffe St. 1959.
    Cuffest.jpg

2 from Georges Pocket (Place), possibly in the early 60s. Still had horse drawn milk floats.

GeorgesPocket1.jpg

GeorgesPocket2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Great photos Gaspode, thank you.

If you have any more northside pics I'm sure many of us here would love to see them. I definitely would anyway.

I love that photo of George's Pocket where you can see the old milk float.... and that could well be me on my old nifty fifty in the background.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks Rashers, I'll have to do a raid an my mums boxes of photos one of these days. Mind you I think my siblings have been doing that for years so I'll be lucky if there's any left!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In for the kill at "The National" (National Ballroom, Parnell Square) circa. 1976.

(The 'interested' looking girl in the red coat is holding a pack of Player's No. 6, a very popular cigarette at the time.)

NationalBallroomParnellSquare.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A few pics of strikes/protests from the 1980s.

H-Block hunger strike supporters - 1981.

HungerStrikeProtest1981.jpg

SPUC Protest - 1983

SPUCProtest.jpg

The long running UCD cleaners' strike - 1985.

UCDCleanersStrike1985.jpg

Dublin Fire Brigade - 1988.

FiremensPicketTaraStreet1988.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Carter12

Bambi wrote: »
    Guy in the middle looks like a fella called martin, used to work in the fish shop, who oddly enough i walked past today on grafton street. Might be too young to be him though...

The fella second from right is one of the Dalys. Pat or Deco.

I must know you :)

In for the kill at "The National" (National Ballroom, Parnell Square) circa. 1976.

(The 'interested' looking girl in the red coat is holding a pack of Player's No. 6, a very popular cigarette at the time.)

NationalBallroomParnellSquare.jpg
    Great picture wishbone and very much my generation .I use to go to the national now and again and picture bring back memories of that time .Look at the clothes style ? ;) Would love to see any more from same era if you have any .

Great picture wishbone and very much my generation .I use to go to the national now and again and picture bring back memories of that time .Look at the clothes style ? ;) Would love to see any more from same era if you have any .

Ahhh do you remember the dove grey tights ? :):)

Brilliant picture x

Carter12 wrote: »
    Ahhh do you remember the dove grey tights ? :):)

Brilliant picture x
    Emmm ...not quite sure tbh ,the name of tights doesn't ring a bell but then I am fellah :):)

Emmm ...not quite sure tbh ,the name of tights doesn't ring a bell but then I am fellah :):)

OOOps sorry :) We used to wear dove grey or silver grey tights. Very popular colour back in the day.

Cant get them anymore :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Heh, that Hunger Strike protest pic has an Orange Bus in the background.

I used to hate getting on an Orange 27A.

• Advertisement

OOOps sorry :) We used to wear dove grey or silver grey tights. Very popular colour back in the day.

Cant get them anymore :)
    Polyester or cotten ? :D

I know in the winter the women of all ages ,schoolchildren ,teens ,older all wore wollen tights .They still do but they are probably called ' Retro tights' now or something :)

Polyester or cotten ? :D

ha.. it was the 70,s polyester id say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gaygaf

that is fantastic idea...
    well done

I'm almost certain Degsy posted this earlier in the thread - YOUR BANNED FOR A MONTH :P

And the way we dressed back in 1983 - no hoodies here!.

Any of the older Ballymun members might know some of these heads (I took the photo so I'm not in it) and who can name the concert? (Dalymount Park).

attachment.php?attachmentid=77582&stc=1&d=1239973259

Ambone Geragty, Pat Daly, John Hughes, Ian Marshall, Hedgy :):)

Now... who are you hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm LOL

Ambone Geragty, Pat Daly, John Hughes, Ian Marshall, Hedgy :):)

Now... who are you hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm LOL

Well if you know all those lads, you know me.

And most likely I know you too!.

I haven't seen any of the lads in years!... And had a soft spot for one of their sister's when we were teens.

How some of us made it through Ballymun in the 80's beats the crap out of me!.

Anyway 'Hi', lets continue with the thread.

Well if you know all those lads, you know me.

And most likely I know you too!.

I haven't seen any of the lads in years!... And had a soft spot for one of their sister's when we were teens.

How some of us made it through Ballymun in the 80's beats the crap out of me!.

Anyway 'Hi', lets continue with the thread.

Oh I know... and some of those lads have been through the mill since. Anyway hi to you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1047775

There's some lovely footage of the Dublin city in this piece about Liberty Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ian_m wrote: »

There's some lovely footage of the Dublin city in this piece about Liberty Hall.

damn just about to post that,
    the original form,without the reflective glass cover was brill, its a pity theyre knocking it

liberty_hall_grab.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

ian_m wrote: »

Is that on YouTube by any chance? Stoopid Geoblock IP filter is not allowing the Irish abroad to use the service :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

They should have left liberty hall like that, it looked a million times better than it does now.

Advertisement