Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

I have seen this photograph before too, but this is a very good copy of it! Many thanks!

The Walsh Road services were operated by a couple of pirate operators, but eventually came under domination of the North City Services, who operated ten vehicles, three Bedford, three Ford and four Chevrolet, mostly fourteen seaters similar to the one pictured here, which is most likely a Chevrolet, identifiable by it's very large headlamps. The livery was stated to be maroon, although the colour looks brighter in this picture, if it is a North City Services vehicle.

The Walsh Road services were of particular interest between 1929 and 1930, when a couple of old London style AEC NS type double deckers ran the route, although they did not last long, and were returned to the UK.

The Walsh Road route became route 71 after the takeover by the Dublin United Tramways, but was withdrawn in 1941 as a wartime economy, and there were no more services via Walsh Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Hi All
    A query for Wishbone in particular with his D 8 connections........

Anybody have any old photos of the Kevin St tenements? My mother was brought up there, I think it may have been cross Kevin St where the tech is now, or else around (not too sure exactly)

I know she talked about living over either some kind of garage or it might have been a haystore, I know they were both connected with her particular tenement, one underneath and one either beside or behind the house in Kevin St - ring any bells with anybody.

(I remember this because she always had a terrible fear of fire throughout her life due to the garage and haystore being so close together)

Sadly my mother died in 1999, at the time I was trying to encourage her to take part in a project in the Liberties that was collecting oral narratives from old residents of D 8.
    Unfortunately she never got the chance but she had wonderful stories about growing up in the area, Lugs Brannigan and the Animal Gang etc.

Would love to locate exactly where the tenements were and what is there today.

carol

Also my Dad was from Pearse St flats, they owned the shop beneath the flats, it's still there today in Townsend St and still has the family name Montgomery though don't think there's any connection anymore.

Anybody got any photos from this area would also welcome them, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Another Albion bus of the General Omnibus Company, early 1930s...

[IMG]http://gofree.indigo.ie/~nigelo/DUTC 625.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Hi Rashers

Those photos you keep posting of old Dublin scenes are superb.I grew up in Kevin Street and have spent weeks looking at the Kevin Street photo on post 198 .I am baffled,do you have any other info on that pic.

Keep up the great work.Your post are a breadth of fresh air in these gloomy times.

Phoenix3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

carolmon wrote: »
    Hi All
    A query for Wishbone in particular with his D 8 connections........
    I've no Dublin 8 connections!!! :)
    carolmon wrote:
    Anybody have any old photos of the Kevin St tenements? My mother was brought up there, I think it may have been cross Kevin St where the tech is now, or else around (not too sure exactly)
    The only ones I've found are of Hackett's Court which was off Kevin Street Upper taken circa. 1913.

HackettsCourt.jpg

HackettsCourt2.jpg

HackettsCourt3.jpg

HydeRoad wrote: »
    I suppose it is too much to hope that, among the wonderful collections of historical photographs appearing here, that someone might have photographs of PRE-war buses in Dublin, or indeed elsewhere in Ireland?
    The only two I have (apart from the ones already posted) are these two taken in Broadstone in 1911 and 1940.

Broadstone1911.jpg

Broadstone1940.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Hi Rashers

Those photos you keep posting of old Dublin scenes are superb.I grew up in Kevin Street and have spent weeks looking at the Kevin Street photo on post 198 .I am baffled,do you have any other info on that pic.

Keep up the great work.Your post are a breadth of fresh air in these gloomy times.

Phoenix3

Thanks Phoenix3. I don't have any info about that pic apart from the fact it was taken in Kevin St. It caught my eye mainly because my grandmother was born in Kevin St in 1879.

Why not print it out and show it to some of the older folk in the area? Apart from making them happy to see a little bit of their old area they might be able to pinpoint where the photo was taken.

G Locfk wrote: »
    [Hi Rashers, you mention that you might have a photo of Gings of Dame Street? I'd be really interested in seeing it as that shop was owned and run by my great uncles and my grandfather also worked there. Any chance you could post it? Best regards, DG]

Sorry it's taken me so long but this is the best view of Gings that I can come up with. It's the third shop down where the brickwork is painted yellow.

Not sure of the year (early '60s?) but I bet the reg numbers and models of the cars will help date it.

CorkHill60s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Rashers wrote: »
    Thanks Phoenix3. I don't have any info about that pic apart from the fact it was taken in Kevin St. It caught my eye mainly because my grandmother was born in Kevin St in 1879.
    My grandmother and grandaunts are from the area too one of whom ran the vegetable shop on Kevin Street.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Jeez... those pics of Hackett's Court are (slightly) less than 100 years old & look at the squalor & deprived nature of them... this is Dublin city, not some backwater... unbelieveable.

OldGoat wrote: »
    My grandmother and grandaunts are from the area too one of whom ran the vegetable shop on Kevin Street.

Old Goat.

Would that be Nellie, Essie and Maggie? I knew them all very well. As a kid in Primary school I used to collect Essie's groceries every day at lunchtime.I got sixpence which was a nice little earner in those days.

Have to go to work will talk again.

Phoenix3

Thanks Wish
    i always thought you were from D 8, must be because of all the photos you posted from around there........

and yeah the squalor seen in the photos is shocking, but i knew all about the living conditions from my mam, Dublin in the twenties was slum territory for many.

And Rashers....another Kevin St connection, would love any more info you have on the area.
    carol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Old Goat.

Would that be Nellie, Essie and Maggie? I knew them all very well. As a kid in Primary school I used to collect Essie's groceries every day at lunchtime.I got sixpence which was a nice little earner in those days.

Have to go to work will talk again.

Phoenix3
    Yep, thats the 3 oul witches alright :). There was a whole slew of them in the Deveroux family, Anne who was my grandmother and then Mary, Maggie, Essie, Nelly & Lilly, and a couple of brothers Pat & Pierce.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Old Goat.

Thats very funny because I wasnt sure of the third name,It was Lily I was thinking of.Maggie was almost a guess and there was a Maggie.I even rang my mother this morning to ask the name and she agreed it was Maggie but obviously she was aware that there was a Maggie.

I also spent the odd summer doing Nellies deliveries around the flats.

There was also a girl used to come visit them very frequently,she was probably a niece of one of the sisters,she was an absolute stunner,and I don't use that word very often.

Old Goat.

Thats very funny because I wasnt sure of the third name,It was Lily I was thinking of.Maggie was almost a guess and there was a Maggie.I even rang my mother this morning to ask the name and she agreed it was Maggie but obviously she was aware that there was a Maggie.

I also spent the odd summer doing Nellies deliveries around the flats.

There was also a girl used to come visit them very frequently,she was probably a niece of one of the sisters,she was an absolute stunner,and I don't use that word very often.

I assume they have all passed on at this time.

Great Memories

Not sure of the year (early '60s?) but I bet the reg numbers and models of the cars will help date it.

CorkHill60s.jpg
    1961. ;)

1961. ;)

Don't tell me you can see the date on yer man's newspaper at Roche's. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Gaspode wrote: »
    (The pic was taken on O'Connell bridge by the 'The Irish Walking Film Company' who just took your picture at random and gave you a number. If you wanted you could collect it later from their o'Connell St. studio.)

I have a picture of my grandfather walking across O'Connell Bridge and I always wondered why somebody (assuming it was a family member) took a random picture like that. Well, now I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

1961. ;)
    Dame St looking twd Trinity w/ City Hall on the far right???
    :-O

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

is that gings shop on the right? (canopy)

stanley1 wrote: »
    is that gings shop on the right? (canopy)

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Some great pictures, just went through the whole thread. Summerhill looks unbelievably bad back in the day! Never knew it looked like that:eek:

Quint wrote: »
    Summerhill looks unbelievably bad back in the day! Never knew it looked like that:eek:

The Summerhill where I was born was a living vibrant close-knit community. Maybe it didn't look so great but it was home.

As it looked when I lived there as a kid......

Summerhill_0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

Just been looking at pictures from the Cushman collection I know some of them have been posted in this thread but there's many more great snaps in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The Summerhill where I was born was a living vibrant close-knit community. Maybe it didn't look so great but it was home.

As it looked when I lived there as a kid......

Summerhill_0.jpg

I can't view photo bucket from here.

Anyway, I have a few photos of dublin from the 70's at home, I'll upload some at the weekend.

Quint wrote: »
    Anyway, I have a few photos of dublin from the 70's at home, I'll upload some at the weekend.

Looking forward to that. Give photobucket another go, it's very good for storing pics.

sagat wrote: »
    Just been looking at pictures from the Cushman collection I know some of them have been posted in this thread but there's many more great snaps in there.

Nice find. Thanks for sharing. :)

Gaspode wrote: »
    The pic was taken on O'Connell bridge by the 'The Irish Walking Film Company' who just took your picture at random and gave you a number. If you wanted you could collect it later from their o'Connell St. studio.

They worked up further in O'Connell St too. I remember one who worked near the Savoy, another a bit further down towards the bridge took this one sometime about 1947 or so. That's Burton's that's a bit obscured: (Gawd... anyone remember the old bus-stops?)

dama.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Any of those peeps you Rashers? :)

Advertisement