Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q + A with El Stuntman

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You'll find a girl, settle down, if you want to, you'll get married. Look at me, I am old but I am happy.....

Shocking..... I don't know what's worse, the fact that you said that or the fact that I know where it comes from

Interesting read. I don't really have questions to ask you, except for the following.

Where did you get your taste for fancy cuisine, fine wine, obscure books etc? You are making me feel ashamed of my uncouth ways and simple tastes.

What would you rather, a win in the main event of the world series or an extra year onto the end of your life (without knowing when that end was)? Yes, I know, a weird question.

Actually, would you like to win the world series at all? Would the whole fame thing make it not worth it or would the money make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Very interesting read El S! I visit the property pin on a daily basis as well, as well as checking in on those interesting posters not banned over at AAM.

Thanks for doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Is Mrs Ste05 about to be made an honest woman?;)
    Yep and she agreed the silly woman. Don't really know what I meant I suppose it was just a run in to my second Q, i.e. the financial cost is savage for a one day "party". I reckon we bring back the good old days where the womans parents pay for it!! :rolleyes:
    The financial cost is shocking for one day (~25k or so), especially in Ireland. It's like people see the $$$$ signs flashing when they hear the word 'wedding' but I think this applies to most services in this country now. I'd still prefer the big local wedding though....
    Interesting, you're a local man too, I'm trying to convince her to elope to Vegas, as yet, she has spurned my subtle hints... :(

Also, it's so true about people seeing $$$ signs flashing, everything goes up in price once they hear the big "W" word. And they won't give prices until they hear what the "Party" is... :mad:

Nice well Glyn, continue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

I used to want Hillary to win but I was blown away by Obama's race speech last week and now hope he wins. I think he has the potential to be a great leader and a unifying force, not just in America but the world.
    Youtube link?? It's your well, so technically you're obliged to do my donkey work here.... :D

Congrats Ste, or condolances, whichever is more apt :)

Er, back on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Ste05 wrote: »
    Youtube link?? It's your well, so technically you're obliged to do my donkey work here.... :D

Since i had already searched to watch it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrp-v2tHaDo

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Enjoying the read.
    A lot of good questions are already asked but for some reason people forgot to ask these....

1.)Would you ever go game hunting in Africa if offered(White hunter black heart style) or if not to actively participate to go along just for the spectacle?.

2.)Do you drive?.

3.)Didnt know you used to play hockey at such a high level, fair play. I took up hockey late in life as an 8th division hacker. I once got a belt of the ball in the face that left the dimple imprint for weeks. That was my worst injury in my short career. Whats the worst injury you ever recieved on the pitch in all your years playing?.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Also seing as your a man of culture with the wine, books, food and bad taste in music(for including springsteen). Are you into art at all ? Particular modern but not contemporary and is there any Irish artists that do anything for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

hiya elStunto!

interesting read...just afew pointers:
    hockey is for girls??
    black sole SHOULD be pan fried/baked

And a note to Ste: it doesn't matter how much the wedding costs, they get it all in the end anyways (my wedding cost €50 inc. tip and was married by a woman? btw)

i've no questions, i'm like God, i know everything, what's that word??

...Q1: what's that word ^^??

Q2: Is MrsStunt fine?? I bet so >> link to img ty

Q3: Would you rather win an online tourney worth $20k for a $100 or €10k in a decent (say €300) tourney in the SE :confused: and why?

ty carry on, excellent, love your work etc...

The word you are looking for is 'omnipotent' I believe Bops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

opr wrote: »
    How did you first get into poker ?

it was me Da's fault. Read this

Do you think playing poker has warped your value for money ?

oh yes. It's quite funny; I'm relatively frugal in a lot of ways (don't spend much on clothes or gadgets) and am regularly shocked by the ways in which people blow their money. But that old chestnut about poker is very true; you have to inure yourself to the financial value of your chips in order to play optimally.

Recent example of a conversation with Mrs S to illustrate this point:

Mrs S: (flicking her hair around) "so....notice anything new?"

El S: "wha'?"

Mrs S: "my hair you idiot, what do you think?"

El S: "oh yeah, very nice I suppose. How much did that cost?"

Mrs S: "€150. Plus tip".

El S: (goes boggle-eyed in amazement and is then reminded that he lost 4 times as much playing poker the night before)
    If you could have dinner with anyone in the world alive or living , who would it be and why?

anyone alive or living? :confused:

I'd like to have dinner with Kinky Friedman, he's one of my heroes (see my sig.). Anyone who calls his band 'Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys' has got to be pretty cool.
    Favourite film and why ?

The Big Lebowski by the Coen Brothers, I must have watched it 25/30 times and it never fails to crack me up

anything with de Niro in it (before he sold out) as well

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Just a note from a mainly-lurker these days.

Great well! Thanks for doing it!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol, I'm humming this in my head now you twat.

come on LL, we all know you had the posters above your bed....:pac:

ionapaul wrote: »
    Very interesting read El S! I visit the property pin on a daily basis as well, as well as checking in on those interesting posters not banned over at AAM.

I cannot stress enough how good that site is; it's a real antidote to the bullsh!t being pumped out by the real estate industry, politicans and journalists

I hardly post there as the level of knowledge is so high that it's somewhat intimidating but it's an invaluable read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭coillcam

5starpool wrote: »
    The word you are looking for is 'omnipotent' I believe Bops.

Omnipotent is all powerful - unlimited power

Omniscience is attribute of knowing everything

Omnipresence is the ability to be everywhere at all times

Where did you get your taste for fancy cuisine, fine wine, obscure books etc?

I always have been a reader ever since I was a kid, I don't like 'popular' literature as such (like the kind of stuff you buy in airport bookshops) but I do like well-written interesting stuff. I read an awful lot of travel writing and history as well as novels, bit of a literary omnivore really.

I think I'll blame Mrs S for the interest in fine food and wine, she is a really good cook so, when we go out, we want to eat something that we wouldn't make at home i.e. something special.
    What would you rather, a win in the main event of the world series or an extra year onto the end of your life (without knowing when that end was)? Yes, I know, a weird question.

that is a weird question, win the WSOP obviously. I'm actually of the opinion that most people's lives (in the rich Western world anyway) are unneccessarily prolonged (but not enriched) by medical science these days so I doubt I'd be missing out on much...
    Actually, would you like to win the world series at all? Would the whole fame thing make it not worth it or would the money make up for it.

I think I'd manage to salve the pain with all those millions of dollars! Let's face it, there's no obligation on a WSOP champ to become famous after the event - ever hear of Varkonyi these days? Gold by contrast clearly enjoys the limelight. I think I'd keep a lower profile myself but it's hardly a dilemna that I wouldn't enjoy wrestling with!

1.)Would you ever go game hunting in Africa if offered(White hunter black heart style) or if not to actively participate to go along just for the spectacle?.

Jesus yes, I have no problems killing other animals for my own amusement. I went to a bullfight in Seville once and was blown away by it.
    Many of my South African colleagues hunt, you go to their houses and they have trophies on the wall of animals they killed, I feel like a wiener when they ask me 'do you hunt?'

So I lie and say yes, I go hand-to-hand with Great White Sharks off the Wexford coast (with bops). That usually buys me a few minutes to change the conversation...
    2.)Do you drive?.

Yes but luckily we live on the DART line so I commute to work that way.
    3.)Didnt know you used to play hockey at such a high level, fair play. I took up hockey late in life as an 8th division hacker. I once got a belt of the ball in the face that left the dimple imprint for weeks. That was my worst injury in my short career. Whats the worst injury you ever recieved on the pitch in all your years playing?.

I was pretty lucky, never had any appalling injuries (saw some disgusting ones though). Broke all of my fingers, some multiple times and cracked a few cheekbones, only chipped a couple of teeth (which was lucky given that I stupidly played without a mouthguard). I did get knocked unconscious once in TRR and woke up in the bar. One of my friends was a student doctor and told me to "have a few pints, sure you'll be grand". That was a hangover I don't want to repeat :eek:

bops wrote: »
    hockey is for girls??

of course it is, I would have thought a man of your abilities would have worked this out by now; where do you meet girls? that's right....
    black sole SHOULD be pan fried/baked

I used to think that and then I had a meal in the Sichuan in Stillorgan one night that changed my mind - steamed black sole with ginger
    i've no questions, i'm like God, i know everything, what's that word??

...Q1: what's that word ^^??[/QUOTE]

depends which God we're talking about, the Hindus claim to have 10 million of them....
    Q2: Is MrsStunt fine?? I bet so >> link to img ty

I think she is anyway and no you perv!
    Q3: Would you rather win an online tourney worth $20k for a $100 or €10k in a decent (say €300) tourney in the SE :confused: and why?...

I'd rather win the live one. The way the $$$ is going, it soon won't matter!

I would get far more enjoyment out of winning the live one, I'm starting to think of live poker and online almost as two totally different disciplines - almost like rugby union and league.

What would be the earliest De Niro "sell out" movie that you can remember? I'm thinking the signs were there since "The Fan" with Wesley Snipes but I'm open to correction. I guess "The Score" is his last decent film?

I was thinking of those ones with Billy Crystal (puke) where he plays the mobster being psychoanalysed?

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Also seing as your a man of culture with the wine, books, food and bad taste in music(for including springsteen). Are you into art at all ? Particular modern but not contemporary and is there any Irish artists that do anything for you.

no I'm not really into art much - don't think the artistic side of my brain is really wired up. The Guggenheim in Bilbao is amazing but as a building, not for the art contained within.

Springsteen is the man btw, listen to his early stuff again

7) How much of the year do you spend in Africa on average? Have you traveled the dark continent much? Can we have any idea how different it is without actually going there?

here's a thread from the politics forum on SA

if you want to read about the development of Africa since the end of the colonial era, you should read 'The State of Africa' by Martin Meredith

very good and quite depressing to see how the early hope has turned into despair, it is wildly un-PC to say it but most Africans were better off under colonial administrations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

My final Qs before I go off and work my butt off for 10 hours solid are , this is where I ask you one or two 'proper' Qs

1. Do you have any phobias ?
    2. Do you play a musical instrument of any kind? If so favourite piece to play?
    3. There are some who reckon a black president would be assasinated (for obvious racial reasons) What would that do to America? IYO
    4. You seem pretty downbeat on the economy (I'm one of the fools who don't see it quite so bad) Name a country that is in a healtier state than us in the event of a recession and explain why that is ?
    5. How good a comogie player where you.
    6. If trees could scream , would there be more of them or less of them?
    7 I think your top 5 albums are more or less in a lot of people collections.
    List 5 of your CDs that you reckon would not be in many peoples collection

8. Do you think its barbaric behaviour to pour 4 bottles of red wine (mixed) into a big platic container and swalley the lot with 5 hot dogs at a music festival eg Glastonbury ....

good stuff on the well so far, I can't believe you are not gay reading your hobbies and interests....:-) Culinary cavorting with Steo ? Camogie? wtf?

you would murder animals?.....booo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Oh god yes. "Analyse this" and "Analyse that". *Shudder. Awful, awful films. He finished "Heat" a year or so before these. I guess he finally got in a scene with Pacino (tense, tense I tell ya) and decided that he had done everything pretty much; and could now just put the feet up and make a few bob. And who are us lowly mortals to argue?

Cheers for the African links. Will give them a good read when I am idle from Monday on.

DI Nero - never meet your heros.

A highly regarded jazz guitar friend of mine was playing with his jazz band in the Budweiser tent at the Irish Derby a few years ago.
    [SIZE=+0]Di Nero was in the tent, the lads reckoned it would be great to get a photo of Di Nero with the band, so they drew lots to see who would ask, [/SIZE][SIZE=+0] so Tony[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0][/SIZE]went up to request the photo, before he even opened his mouth, DI Nero told him to Fk Off.

Never meet you heros....IMO

YULETIRED wrote: »
    1. Do you have any phobias ?

yes, I live in fear of putting in a big raise against Mick Stevens and him giving me 'the look'
    2. Do you play a musical instrument of any kind? If so favourite piece to play?

no, I have less musical talent than anyone I know
    3. There are some who reckon a black president would be assasinated (for obvious racial reasons) What would that do to America? IYO

dunno, but I will buy your screenplay and cut you in for 25%
    4. You seem pretty downbeat on the economy (I'm one of the fools who don't see it quite so bad) Name a country that is in a healtier state than us in the event of a recession and explain why that is ?

em, pretty much all countries are better positioned than us, here's why in a nutshell;

we have experienced unprecedented growth over the last 15 years. why? well up to 2001 or so, it was export-led growth, driven by foreign direct investment, attracted here by our high productivity and low taxes.
    (good growth apart from the fact that the capital is not Irish and highly sensitive to flight)

since 2001, the growth has been domestic (i.e. consumer) driven on the back of an insane housing bubble which created false feelings of wealth in the population. Our productivity dropped, our cost base mushroomed, our public finances were only held up by extra-curricular windfall tax receipts from the building boom. We then decided to mortgage away our future by making our public servants by far the best-paid in the world (i.e. benchmarking)

now, 2007/8; there is a serious recession in the USA, our housing bubble is burst,we are saddled with massive levels of private debt, unemployment is rising rapidly, bank are tightening the screw on borrowers, the idiotic public sector unions are screaming for more money and the government is the least effective in living memory (consumed by the last days of the Bert).

In summary:

your house's value is going down
    your pension's value is going down
    your savings are being eroded by inflation
    your debt burden is going up
    your job security is lessening (unless you are public sector)
    your savings are being eroded by inflation
    the public sector finances are looking horrible this year and much worse next

remember the 80s??? at least we had good music. oh wait...
    5. How good a comogie player where you.

that's Smurph you're thinking of there
    6. If trees could scream , would there be more of them or less of them?

less obviously, who wants to hang around in a screaming forest? I'd rather be turned into a nice coffee table
    7 I think your top 5 albums are more or less in a lot of people collections. List 5 of your CDs that you reckon would not be in many peoples collection [/SIZE][/FONT]

OK

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
    Cheap Thrills - Janis Joplin
    Apostrophe - Frank Zappa
    Tanto Tempo - Bebel Gilberto
    Hot Buttered Soul - Isaac Hayes
    8. Do you think its barbaric behaviour to pour 4 bottles of red wine (mixed) into a big platic container and swalley the lot with 5 hot dogs at a music festival eg Glastonbury ....

I think it's perfectly normal behaviour, it would be more shocking if you didn't do it
    good stuff on the well so far, I can't believe you are not gay reading your hobbies and interests....:-) Culinary cavorting with Steo ? Camogie? wtf?

clearly I am gay
    you would murder animals?.....booo

it's either them or me

Never meet you heros....IMO

I took a piss beside Bono once