Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q + A with El Stuntman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

are you feeling OK? :pac::pac::pac:

Would you rather win the Irish Open main event for €1m, or a massive session in cash for €2m, but on the premise that you couldnt tell anyone about the cash pot, including family and friends.

If you could sleep with Jessica Alba on the condition that you could only do to her what you did to Mary Harney, how far would you go/what would you do?

Of all the people you know who dont post here who would you most like to see start?

Naming names, who annoys you the most on the forum?

Where is that restaurant you alluded to earlier in the thread the french one?

Who is a better player in your opinion Lloyd or Rob Taylor?

If you have eleven apples and take away 5 apples, how many apples do you have?

What side of the chicken has the most feathers?

What is the hardest part of Rollerskating?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Rob is better imo.

I didn't know it was your Q&A lloyd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Would you rather win the Irish Open main event for €1m, or a massive session in cash for €2m, but on the premise that you couldnt tell anyone about the cash pot, including family and friends.

you need to try harder, the €2m obviously - the fact that it's anonymous makes it even better imo. Being known as being rich (I'm not) is not a good thing imo plus if I won the IO I'd imagine I'd have to look at threads called "I can't believe that donkey won the IO" on here for the rest of my life
    If you could sleep with Jessica Alba on the condition that you could only do to her what you did to Mary Harney, how far would you go/what would you do?

what - promote her to Taoiseach?

Harney is the most capable politican in the Dail imo - she's currently on a suicide mission in Health though. Can't fault her courage in taking it on - look at what Cowen and Martin did there i.e. nothing except commission reports and try to get out as fast as possible.
    Of all the people you know who dont post here who would you most like to see start?

John Swarbrigg from the SE and, er, that's it
    Naming names, who annoys you the most on the forum?

Nicky O'D's threads where he slags off famous pros are annoying. Having said that, most of his posts are normal and sensible. A few of other regs who will defend their corners to the death (especially when they are wrong) can be annoying too but also funny. Most idiots who try to post here are swiftly chased away by the monster of reasoned argument...
    Where is that restaurant you alluded to earlier in the thread the french one?

It's on Fade Street, opposite the entrance to the Market Bar. Get there early if you want a table - they don't take bookings
    Who is a better player in your opinion Lloyd or Rob Taylor?

well Lloyd said Rob so that's good enough for me. I owe Rob a bottle of rum btw!
    If you have eleven apples and take away 5 apples, how many apples do you have?

Not enough to last the week
    What side of the chicken has the most feathers?

looking at Dustin, he has a mohican so is this a trick question?
    What is the hardest part of Rollerskating?

getting my pink leggings on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Recommend a book, a CD, a film.
    Who will win the US Masters?
    Which horse will win the English Derby?
    Are you sympathetic to Tibet or do you think China should wade in?
    Will Mugabe win the Zimbabwe election (and lose power :rolleyes:)?
    Will Ireland win anything in the Olympics?
    Should Bertie Aherne fold up his tent and move off?
    Who cuts the grass in your household?
    Are you under pressure to quit poker, and behave sensibly?
    If two players go all-in before you are in a tourney and you hold QQ will you call (early with similar stacks)?
    My sister invited me to lunch . Afterwards I found I didn't close out a position in a golf tourney, and failed to win an easy €500. Would you be upset if it was you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

good read although i'm inexplicably disappointed that you're not a stuntman for some reason.

no questions really, your game seems spookily similiar to mine, hope you win the wsop some time.

i guess i do have one question: i should have tried harder to have done something more interesting with my life, been a marine biologist or a wildlife photographer, instead i make a living flogging motors. here i see many intelligent lads honestly thinking playing cards could be a rewarding life. I don't see it that way, i see it as ridiculous hobby and as awful waste if done full time. I wish i had have remained a losing player half a dozen years ago. Do you agree with my view or see it as overly morose and unnecessarily self-pitying?

Secondly, having said that, I have no plan to stop. Does this make me a hypocrite, greedy, vicious and vulgar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Great thread.

With regard to the economy, I think that one of the major problems we face at the moment is that politicians dont really understand economics, and even if they do they are forced to take the most politically acceptable solution, even if it isn't sensible economically. So we can agree we need to ditch democracy. So should our new system of government be Communist or Fascist? Or do you have a better idea?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

4 posts deleted.

Lads, don't turn this thread into crap please. You have been warned.

kincsem wrote: »
    Recommend a book, a CD, a film.

I'll just recommend the last three that I liked:

the last book I read was 'Put me back on my bike' by William Fotheringham. It's a biography of the cyclist Tom Simpson who died going up the Mont Ventoux during the 1967 Tour de France, he was pumped full of speed and half a bottle of brandy at the time :eek: Gives you an idea of the culture around pro cycling that leads on to today's drugs scandals.

Listened to the latest Bruce Spingsteen offering in the car at the weekend, if I'm still going like that at his age I'll be happy!

Last film I saw was 'In Bruges' last week, it's no masterpiece but it did have some very funny dialogue. I like Martin McDonagh's plays (the Leenane triology) and the film is in the same vein so hopefully he'll make some more. Plus a very good friend of mine lives in Belgium so it was interesting to see Bruges on the big screen.
    Who will win the US Masters?

haven't a clue, I detest golf
    Which horse will win the English Derby?

no idea, you're much better qualified on that score than anyone here. I've given up betting on horses anyway.
    Are you sympathetic to Tibet or do you think China should wade in?

I'm sympathetic but let's face it, China will do what it wants - the only thing holding them back right now is the Olympics. I think we'll see a much more belligerent China in the decades to come and the weakening US will be in no position to stop them. You can already see them extending their influence in Africa.
    Will Mugabe win the Zimbabwe election (and lose power :rolleyes:)?

It looks as though he may be gone, I wouldn't hold my breath though. It'll take a generation to build Zim back up to anywhere close to it's former self (and they will need the whites back again to do this)
    Will Ireland win anything in the Olympics?

that hammerthrower girl might have a shout of a medal. I'm sure we can dope up a horse to jump over some fences too. Is women's boxing an Olympic sport yet? If yes, Katie Taylor would win every weight division!
    Should Bertie Aherne fold up his tent and move off?

No, he should be put in Mountjoy to share a cell with a large tattooed gentleman.
    Who cuts the grass in your household?

Mainly me but El Stuntdog does her part by digging up most of the lawn anyway
    Are you under pressure to quit poker, and behave sensibly?

Not currently but then I don't play all that much - once or twice week only.

behaving sensibly is the sign of a sick mind, once I start doing that I'll know it's time to quit everything
    If two players go all-in before you are in a tourney and you hold QQ will you call (early with similar stacks)?

it depends on the players but probably not. I would die a little inside.
    My sister invited me to lunch . Afterwards I found I didn't close out a position in a golf tourney, and failed to win an easy €500. Would you be upset if it was you?

it would depend on how good a cook your sister is; probably

good read although i'm inexplicably disappointed that you're not a stuntman for some reason.

A lot of people who meet me express similar feelings
    i guess i do have one question: i should have tried harder to have done something more interesting with my life, been a marine biologist or a wildlife photographer, instead i make a living flogging motors. here i see many intelligent lads honestly thinking playing cards could be a rewarding life. I don't see it that way, i see it as ridiculous hobby and as awful waste if done full time. I wish i had have remained a losing player half a dozen years ago. Do you agree with my view or see it as overly morose and unnecessarily self-pitying?

I think you are being way too harsh on yourself

Flogging dodgy motors is a great way of life, why just look at old Arfur and his trusty sidekick Terry. Always down the pub avoiding 'er indoors and pulling scams while avoiding Inspector Chisholm and his men. Wot larks!

On the poker side of things; I would agree to a certain extent. Playing poker for a living is a lonely existence in my opinion, in order to do it properly you do become somewhat of a societal outcast;
    - in the hours you keep (not conducive to a normal life)
    - in the company you keep
    - you pay no taxes and make no contribution to society that could remotely be classified as 'useful'
    - your way of life is looked upon with suspicion by the vast majority of the population and it's quite likely you will alienate some friends and family because of this

On the plus side, you are your own boss (who of the office jockeys does not dream of this?), you pay no taxes and you get to live exactly as you please. This is a form of freedom afforded to very few of us. I don't really see that I can honestly criticise anyone for making this choice. I know I couldn't do it (mainly because of lack of talent).

I do feel uncomfortable sometimes when I read about younger forumites planning to drop out of college and 'turn pro'. At the very least, you must have a degree behind you before doing this - God knows when this poker boom is going to end but end it will. When that happens, a lot of people are going to find themselves very, very unemployable. It makes sense to have some sort of backup plan for when this happens.

I think the happiest players by far are the successful amateurs; guys with a good career and a good track record at poker. That's what I would aspire to.
    Secondly, having said that, I have no plan to stop. Does this make me a hypocrite, greedy, vicious and vulgar?

oh yes, welcome to the club!

• Advertisement

With regard to the economy, I think that one of the major problems we face at the moment is that politicians dont really understand economics, and even if they do they are forced to take the most politically acceptable solution, even if it isn't sensible economically. So we can agree we need to ditch democracy. So should our new system of government be Communist or Fascist? Or do you have a better idea?

Communism and fascism are not really all that different; one makes an accomodation with private capital and the other doesn't. Their methods are pretty similar and would be unpleasant to live under. Why, they might even ban poker!

My solution would not be ditching democracy but rather reorganising it. TDs would no longer be elected by local constituencies but rather on the basis of a national list system. This would mean that they would have to operate on the basis of national priorities when making decisions, rather than the current parish pump system.
    Local democracy could be better upheld by giving local councils some tax-raising powers i.e. some form of property tax. It works everywhere else in the civilised world so why not here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

that's no basis for a system of government....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o76WQzVJ434

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

1.) You’re the victim of mistaken identity for murder and you can be grilled for 36 hours. Who would you prefer to be the interrogator to be Chief insp Chisolm or Chief insp Slater?. Who would be more likely to give you the hardest time?.

2.) On a scale of 1-10 how crazy do you think the average independent tournament organiser is?. What do you think drives them to work so hard for so little $$ and thanks?. Why do they do it?

3.) Do you think that Stephen Roach was the best sportsman ever to win the tour de france and the giro in the same year despite virtually everyone else taking performance enhancing substances or do you think he must have been up to the same himself?.

4.) Same question as above for Carl Lewis?.

5.) Does your doorbell have a buzz or a chime?. If the house came with a buzz doorbell would you just leave it be or go out of your way to get a chime door bell?.

apparently, read today's Irish Times, looks like Makoni has it in the bag. I'm sure a deal has been done already to allow Mugabe to leave the country and keep his assets.

lol, I got it half right anyway

hopefully the MDC get this through without any bloodshed

1.) You’re the victim of mistaken identity for murder and you can be grilled for 36 hours. Who would you prefer to be the interrogator to be Chief insp Chisolm or Chief insp Slater?. Who would be more likely to give you the hardest time?.

Slater always struck me as being a lot more competent than Chisholm so I'd have to go with Chisholm as my interrogator. He never managed to stick one on Arfur and Terry anyway so I'd be pretty confident of outwitting him.

He might give me a hard time though
    2.) On a scale of 1-10 how crazy do you think the average independent tournament organiser is?. What do you think drives them to work so hard for so little $$ and thanks?. Why do they do it?

I don't think they're crazy at all, they provide a service and take a cut. If it wasn't worthwhile, they wouldn't do it.
    3.) Do you think that Stephen Roach was the best sportsman ever to win the tour de france and the giro in the same year despite virtually everyone else taking performance enhancing substances or do you think he must have been up to the same himself?.

I'm sure he was on the little blue pills as well. If he wasn't then he was some kind of superman (remember him collapsing in the Alps, having chased down Delgado?). In our innocence at the time though, it was great TV and really gave the whole country a boost. I remember cycling down to the old Dundrum Shopping Centre with my friends to see his triumphant return. I also remember CJH pulling a great stroke and materialising on the podium on the Champs Elysee - you have to hand it to him, he had an eye for the main chance!

There have always been rumours around Sean Kelly as well.
    Read Paul Kimmage's book; it's really good.
    4.) Same question as above for Carl Lewis?.

same answer
    5.) Does your doorbell have a buzz or a chime?. If the house came with a buzz doorbell would you just leave it be or go out of your way to get a chime door bell?.

a chime but nothing wierd. Having a buzzer would be a bit uncomfortable and I'd probably have to sell the house

looks as though yer well is drying up now, so before you return to your blogtastic self a few questions to wind up the well...(.well really it's to entertain us with your answers)

1. How did you find being in the well?
    2 What question that wasn't asked were you dying to be asked (apart from this one)
    3. What do you think of the common troll?
    4. If Doc Farrell sold you a motor and you found 5k in the glove compartment, .............what would you spend it on..
    5. If you could turn back time.......................discuss the 1st 3 things you would do......(sht now I can't get that song out of my head)
    6. How long was the best mans speech at your wedding and did you have a degenerate bet on it yourself. (did you cry at any of the speeches)
    7. There was a very funny post by big slick comparing Nicky Power to the baby in family guy........pick 5 boardies you know and pick their relevent cartoon/puppet likeness...............I will do one for you as an example.....El Stuntman = 'Parsley' the lion in 'the herbs' (or snagglepuss---yikes exit stage left)

YULETIRED wrote: »
    looks as though yer well is drying up now, so before you return to your blogtastic self a few questions to wind up the well...(.well really it's to entertain us with your answers)

thanks, I'm currently writing a new blog story for your delectation and it'll be up in the next day or so
    1. How did you find being in the well?

Like Lloyd said, I like a soapbox :pac:
    2 What question that wasn't asked were you dying to be asked (apart from this one)

wow El Stuntman, what makes you so totally awesome?

I'm very suprised this question wasn't asked
    3. What do you think of the common troll?

it's an annoying pest but it's hard to know how to deal with it. Those stupid Australians tried to deal with an annoying pest (some sort of beetle I think) by introducing cane toads intotheir sugar fields. Now they're even bigger pests than the original pests. So I suppose....

what was I talking about again?
    4. If Doc Farrell sold you a motor and you found 5k in the glove compartment, .............what would you spend it on..

a trip to Vegas for the BIG SPIN baby!

I'd probably have to spend a couple of hundred getting the sawdust removed from the gearbox first :pac:
    5. If you could turn back time.......................discuss the 1st 3 things you would do......(sht now I can't get that song out of my head)

I'd fold that AK on the bubble of that IO qualifier

I'd go back to college and do something interesting instead of Commerce (History and Politics maybe or else English)

The day that my friend asked me in the schoolyard 'what football team do you support?', I wouldn't have asked my Dad who was top of the league and been told 'Ipswich'. I'd have said Liverpool or Man U like everyone else!
    6. How long was the best mans speech at your wedding and did you have a degenerate bet on it yourself. (did you cry at any of the speeches)

It was only about 12 minutes, I had no bet on it due to insider trading regulations but most of the lads did

No crying at the speeches, my mother's was pretty funny though
    7. There was a very funny post by big slick comparing Nicky Power to the baby in family guy........pick 5 boardies you know and pick their relevent cartoon/puppet likeness...............I will do one for you as an example.....El Stuntman = 'Parsley' the lion in 'the herbs' (or snagglepuss---yikes exit stage left)

I'm no good on cartoons so I'll just do any old characters

you = Groucho Marx
    rounders123 = Renee from 'Allo 'Allo
    jbravado = the guy who goes nuts playing Russian Roulette in The Deerhunter
    Lucky Lloyd - unoriginal but he's the King from Blackadder for sure
    primewise - kinda reminds me of the young mafioso learning his trade in Goodfellas. I don't know why :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭BuChan

great read glyn. lol at all the governmental/economic policy stuff. (lol i thought everyone on internet forums knew the the whole thing was a total fallacy at best?! :pac:) anyway my question is not poker related either. as a man who lead a somewhat alternative lifestyle, aware of the more colourful side of life let's say, will you be raising little elstuntgirl with a "do as i say not as i do" type attitude?

BuChan wrote: »
    anyway my question is not poker related either. as a man who lead a somewhat alternative lifestyle, aware of the more colourful side of life let's say, will you be raising little el stuntgirl with a "do as i say not as i do" type attitude?

let's just say that I suspect Mrs S will be the disciplinarian in the house!

I remember my own father buying me pints when I was like 13/14 and hanging out with him in the bookies etc - obviously this is not particularly healthy but as long as kids know where the limits are, 'liberal' parenting is probably the way that I'll go

the first boyfriend will probably be the acid test....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Great read, if only I could put a face to the name. Never being in the Emporium might be a problem there.

ok, well, a few q's from Theresa.

Who was your childhood hero? You know the way everyone had one, be it a sports star, cartoon character etc. btw Captain Planet FTW

Trevor Sargent....opinions?

Commerce, I am studying this atm. I find it quite bull****ty, was it the same in your day and what was your favourite subject?

I have to pick a specialisation for next year, was gonna do banking and Finance but now am not so sure, given your propensity to dispense good solid advice, which way should I go?

Sue Barker? Would you?

Oh one more, I think this one defines the exact type of person you are more than any other.

Cheryl Tweedy or Jessica Alba?

• Advertisement

Who was your childhood hero? You know the way everyone had one, be it a sports star, cartoon character etc. btw Captain Planet FTW

the blonde motorbike cop from Chips probably. Either him or Murdoch from the A Team
    Trevor Sargent....opinions?

very wierd the way he stepped down as leader of the Green party in order to allow them go into coalition with FF. I mean, come on, a politican following through on a pre-election promise, what's next?

keep a close eye on him ;)
    Commerce, I am studying this atm. I find it quite bull****ty, was it the same in your day and what was your favourite subject?

It was taught by rote, the exams were utterly predictable (thankfully for me, lol) and only the complete nerds could stick actually going to lectures and doing the coursework. I didn't have a favourite subject, used to sneak into the odd history lecture to listen to Hugh Goff give his!

I got onto the AIB Capital markets graduate programme and the first day I was in there, they told us to 'forget everything you learned in college'. Says it all really....
    I have to pick a specialisation for next year, was gonna do banking and Finance but now am not so sure, given your propensity to dispense good solid advice, which way should I go?

heh, that's what I 'did'. Probably a solid choice in terms of securing a job
    Sue Barker? Would you?

No
    Oh one more, I think this one defines the exact type of person you are more than any other.

Cheryl Tweedy or Jessica Alba?

Jessica obviously, what sort of choice is that?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

the first boyfriend will probably be the acid test....:eek:

Or girlfriend - you said you were liberal!!!!

5starpool wrote: »
    Or girlfriend - you said you were liberal!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭HalfBaked

wow El Stuntman, what makes you so totally awesome?

Really enjoyable well Glynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

El Stunty….couple of questions to keep you going….

1. You’re playing €800 in the SE NL and Tadgh has you covered. You raise to €35 with AA and Tadgh calls. Flop is AK10..You bet €65, he raises to €200 and you ship the loot. He calls and said “I put you on a set”, flips over KJo and spikes a Q to scoop the pot.
    Do you …

A) Say nice hand sir, tap the table and go for a stroll
    B) Say good call….where can I buy your book?
    C) Count slowly to 10 to try stop yourself reaching across the table at him
    D) Unleash a tirade of abuse?

2. You’re given the job of picking the food for the SE’s next €500 game. You only have a small budget so what cheap and quick to cook foods do you put out for Dublins finest degens?

3. Whats the square root of 4761 and did you need a calculator to work it out?

4. Sapphire from the SE is dealing your table and you notice her nipple has slipped out. Do you try to draw her attention and let her know?

5. Which 2 local poker players game have you changed your opinion about tenfold since you first played with them i.e you thought he has very good and now you know he is a complete fish and vice versa?

6. Do you have a lucky/unlucky dealer..Derek seems to be the cooler king for everyone so there must be someone out there that reaps the rewards..Is it you huh?

7. You get granted 3 wishes but each one must be a selfless deed that you don’t directly get the benefit from..What would you choose?

8. As a punishment for inflicting a bad bead, you must spent 4 hours strapped to a chair in a room with one of the following scenarios….your captor allows you to choose from..

A) Ronan Keating singing his greatest hits back to back, over and over
    B) Lily Savage performing a continuous lap dance, only stopping to adjust his balls
    C) Watch re-runs of Prisoner Cell Block H
    D) Dealer Dave from the SE tickling your feet

9. What do you think of body modification. E.g. the lizard man who has his body tattooed in scales, implants under his skin, his tongue split in 2 plus numerous other things

10. Who’s the best/worst speech play tactician that you’ve ever played with?

Good well Glyn and a great read….keep up the good work ;-)

Flushdraw wrote: »
    4. Sapphire from the SE is dealing your table and you notice her nipple has slipped out. Do you try to draw her attention and let her know?

be realistic Tony, she already knows...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

be realistic Tony, she already knows...:D
    So THATS why all the lads go to the SE! ;)

any decent looking male dealers? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Cheryl Tweedy is SO much hotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

So THATS why all the lads go to the SE! ;)

any decent looking male dealers? :D

Italian Stallion Jack, Dishy Derek, Don't-Touch-My-Button David ... take your pick!

Sapphire pwns though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

kpnuts wrote: »
    Italian Stallion Jack, Dishy Derek, Don't-Touch-My-Button David ... take your pick!

Sapphire pwns though.

Be down in a few weeks then ;)

Back on topic.. sorry El Stuntman!

Advertisement