Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q + A with El Stuntman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Hot Buttered Soul - Isaac Hayes

+12 points for El Stunterini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

+12 points for El Stunterini.

merci, now I feel like Dustin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Fantastic read El S, thanks for doing this? You blog is excellent by the way.

Have you ever read a poker book?

Do you or have you ever played Omaha?

If you could kill one person alive today, who would you kill and what method would you use?

If you could kill one historical figure, who would you kill and what method would you use?

What effect do you think the Celtic tiger has had on Irish literature?

If you were forced to chose between reading a Celia Ahern/Marian Keyes book and having you back, crack and sack waxed, what would you choose?

Have you ever read any of John Connolly's books?

Have you ever had Boer meat? Whats the best South African butchers in Dublin?

Do you know what a boerbull is? Big fckers eh?

Who would you recommend to replace Bertie?

What is the first change you would make if you were Taoiseach?

Killme00 wrote: »
    Have you ever read a poker book?

yes, I must have about 25 of them.

pimpage of linkage 1, 2 & 3
    Do you or have you ever played Omaha?

yes, I've played a bit online at .50/1 and 1/2. I'm really bad at it though.

I played a round of each tournament live once, found it really hard to look at all 4 cards

teach me!
    If you could kill one person alive today, who would you kill and what method would you use?

good question. I'd kill the man who invented reality TV, live on TV. I'd let the viewers phone in how they wanted him to die and have a text-poll to select the best method.
    If you could kill one historical figure, who would you kill and what method would you use?

Peig Sayers, responsible for an awful lot of pain and suffering. I'd make her eat turf until she expired.
    What effect do you think the Celtic tiger has had on Irish literature?

I don't read much contemporary Irish literature but looking at the bookshelves groaning with inane chick-lit, it can't have been good...
    If you were forced to chose between reading a Celia Ahern/Marian Keyes book and having you back, crack and sack waxed, what would you choose?

no contest, wax me up!
    Have you ever read any of John Connolly's books?

no
    Have you ever had Boer meat? Whats the best South African butchers in Dublin?

I think you mean Boerwors? like their sausage, seriously good

I didn't know there were South African butchers in Dublin
    Do you know what a boerbull is? Big fckers eh?

nearly as big as your average South African prop forward
    Who would you recommend to replace Bertie?

Cowen, let's see what that Biffo is made of. Let's face it, there's not many inspiring leaders waiting to spring forward from the ranks...
    What is the first change you would make if you were Taoiseach?

I'd privatise Irish Rail, Dublin Bus and the ESB. Then I'd make Ugg boots illegal.

found it really hard to look at all 4 cards

teach me!

Just pick the best two cards and play like holdem, ignore the other two until the river, declare two pair and then say "i have these two aswell" and slow roll the nuts.
    Then I'd make Ugg boots illegal.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    *shakes head.

and then I'd quit and make Michael O'Leary Taoiseach....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Excellent read. Don't thinkI've met you yet, hopefully will one day.

With the economy on the way down, how bad do you think it will get? Is there any way out of it at this stage? ill interest rates rocket?

Early pos in live cash game, limp or raise small pairs?

Has the boards forum helped your game in any particular way?

What poster do you most enjoy reading?

WP

Connie

connie147 wrote: »
    With the economy on the way down, how bad do you think it will get? Is there any way out of it at this stage? ill interest rates rocket?

I think it'll get pretty bad. At least 40% of the people in construction and related services are going to be out of work (I'm sure you can see this trend starting already - this is going to be worse in rural areas, sometimes I feel like everyone I meet in the country is 'in property'). Lots more people are losing their jobs - manufacturing is on its last legs with factory closures every other day. Dell etc will be gone soon. It just doesn't make any sense to make stuff in this country anymore.
    Financial services are also taking a hit due to the credit crunch.
    I think you'll eventually see the retail jobs starting to be trimmed back as well when people start yanking in their discretionary spending (imo this may not be a bad thing culturally).

So we have increasing unemployment (confirmed by the horrendous Jan and Feb numbers). We have falling tax revenue and pressure on Govt spending. We have mutinous public sector unions (check out the noises the teachers have been making this week). We have very poor delivery of public services. We have stubbornly high inflation. Our stock market bubble has burst and our housing bubble is going the same way. We have an incompetent Government who are totally preoccupied with the shenanigans of their corrupt leader. We have no local industry worth speaking of apart from tourism. We are natural resource poor.

phew, rant over.

on interest rates, I still think they are abnormally low. It really makes my teeth grind when I hear idiot bank 'economists' like Desperate Dan McLaughlin (Bank of Ireland) or Comical Austin Power (IIB) blithely predicting rate cuts that will bail us out. People need to get into their heads that the ECB couldn't give two ****s about Ireland, it's Germany that is the key and they are still doing very nicely and in need of reining back their inflation (given that they culturally value their savers far more than debtholders - unlike us gombeen paddies with our '08 Mercs and apartments on the Costas). They'll never go to the levels they went to in the 70s/80s though.

Early pos in live cash game, limp or raise small pairs?

it depends, mainly raise with them and build a pot if I hit
    Has the boards forum helped your game in any particular way?

I've gone from being a total fish to being a slightly above average player, that's good enough for me!
    What poster do you most enjoy reading?

YULETIRED cracks me up continuously and The_Rigger's posts are also frequently hilarious.

For strategy, Hectorjelly is the best poster by far with Lucky Lloyd also very good. Fuzzbox seems to be on sabbatical. Ozpoker is very good on the maths side. BCB is great for stirring things up.

Hotspur is the one whose posts (infrequent though they are) I actually most look forward to reading

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm really enjoying this, thanks for your time

As you work in the financial sector and are a poker player, if you had a spare 10k that you wanted to make money from in, say 12 months, but didn't want to risk your initial investment, where would you put your money

Clareman wrote: »
    As you work in the financial sector and are a poker player, if you had a spare 10k that you wanted to make money from in, say 12 months, but didn't want to risk your initial investment, where would you put your money

just put it in a high-yield deposit account if you want zero risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

HOTSPUR got my vote for poster of the year but alas he is reclusively Howard Hughesy at times, which is a shame, I've a few Qs I wish to throw at the fellow. mainly about his reading material.... I already asked him was he Stephen Fry? but he didn't reply. I think it IS him.....no?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

I think it'll get pretty bad. At least 40% of the people in construction and related services are going to be out of work (I'm sure you can see this trend starting already - this is going to be worse in rural areas, sometimes I feel like everyone I meet in the country is 'in property'). Lots more people are losing their jobs - manufacturing is on its last legs with factory closures every other day. Dell etc will be gone soon. It just doesn't make any sense to make stuff in this country anymore.
    Financial services are also taking a hit due to the credit crunch.
    I think you'll eventually see the retail jobs starting to be trimmed back as well when people start yanking in their discretionary spending (imo this may not be a bad thing culturally).

When referring to Dell, are you talking about manufacturing jobs or Dell in general? Can't see a complete pullout, they far too embedded here for it make any sense. Manufacturing going yes, but they'll maintain some presence here. Same goes for Intel and other major tech companies.

Do you believe the US actually landed on the moon in 1969?

YULETIRED wrote: »
    HOTSPUR got my vote for poster of the year but alas he is reclusively Howard Hughesy at times, which is a shame, I've a few Qs I wish to throw at the fellow. mainly about his reading material.... I already asked him was he Stephen Fry? but he didn't reply. I think it IS him.....no?

El Stuntman, Hotspur and El Stuntdog go for a drive in the country:

jeeves_wooster.gif

fobster wrote: »
    When referring to Dell, are you talking about manufacturing jobs or Dell in general? Can't see a complete pullout, they far too embedded here for it make any sense. Manufacturing going yes, but they'll maintain some presence here. Same goes for Intel and other major tech companies.

believe whatever you want, these industries are not 'embedded' here and they will move if and when it makes financial sense for them to do so - their shareholders will accept no less
    fobster wrote: »
    Do you believe the US actually landed on the moon in 1969?

no, they cooked the whole thing up in a hanger at Cape Canaveral, everyone knows that!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

believe whatever you want, these industries are not 'embedded' here and they will move if and when it makes financial sense for them to do so - their shareholders will accept no less

That's my point about Dell and Intel, they've invested so much here, when would it make financial sense for them? But in general I agree when it doesn't make sense to stay they'll be out the door. Profit is king not pleasing the local community.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What high yield account would you recommend? What would you do with the 10k (non poker)?

believe whatever you want, these industries are not 'embedded' here and they will move if and when it makes financial sense for them to do so - their shareholders will accept no less!

What about the large US banks? State Street, Citigroup, BONY, BOA..do you think they may pullout too and moved the financial services to Poland?

What high yield account would you recommend?

I don't know, rabobank or one of those (haven't done any research). I'm sure if you go to askaboutmoney.ie, you'll find a thread or two
    What would you do with the 10k (non poker)?

probably buy Ryanair shares - they're about to have a tough year but will come through it in shape to really dominate their sector

• Advertisement

What about the large US banks? State Street, Citigroup, BONY, BOA..do you think they may pullout too and moved the financial services to Poland?

I think there would need to be some kind of major tax event for that to happen

with things being tight in the US, I'd be surprised if their lawmakers don't start examining this option

lol at all the finance questions btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm starting a new job with PayPal on Monday looking after accounts, am I fecked?

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm starting a new job with PayPal on Monday looking after accounts, am I fecked?

sure, working as a suit sucks (I should know)

I think there would need to be some kind of major tax event for that to happen

with things being tight in the US, I'd be surprised if their lawmakers don't start examining this option

Thats a lotta jobs...will An Taoiseach Michael O Leary and Minister for Finance Dermot Desmond be able to find jobs for them all?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You are quite the advice hound.......

My wife left me and kicked me out of the house. Where is a nice warm doorway to sleep in (I'd use the one outside the Fitz, but it's already taken) and can you recommend a good divorce lawyer?

Also, What recipe do you use for Chocolate Chip cookies?

Also, What do you think are the next steps for the Madagascan economy?

Also, would you be tempted to exchange €1 for Zimbabwean dollars, just to feel rich? This one is a semi serious question.

Thats a lotta jobs...will An Taoiseach Michael O Leary and Minister for Finance Dermot Desmond be able to find jobs for them all?

yes of course, they are the MEN!!!!

of course your job will be 100k from where you live and you will be charged numerous 'surcharges' for the privilege of working that means you actually owe them money after a week's work...

5starpool wrote: »
    My wife left me and kicked me out of the house. Where is a nice warm doorway to sleep in (I'd use the one outside the Fitz, but it's already taken) and can you recommend a good divorce lawyer?

so sorry to hear that, tell her at least she can change her surname back from Hoor now :)

all lawyers are bastards, steer well clear
    Also, What recipe do you use for Chocolate Chip cookies?

I just skip the assembly and manufacture stages and eat the chocolate
    Also, What do you think are the next steps for the Madagascan economy?

I think exports of ring-tailed lemurs will taper off slowly but this will be more than offset by a boom in the market for mature babobab trees
    Also, would you be tempted to exchange €1 for Zimbabwean dollars, just to feel rich? This one is a semi serious question.

of course, it'd be pretty cool to have a loaf-sized lump of cash!

Mugabe will be out after the weekend anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Nice read. Don't think I've played with you yet either. Anyway Lloyd hogged all the questions so I'll pull some random crap out of somewhere

Do you follow football? If not ignore the next few questions:

Did you play as a youth whenever you could drag yourself away from your hockey skirt? If so what club/level?

Premiership club?

Most overrated premiership player?

Underrated?

Will Liverpool win the title within the next 5 seasons?

Strategy for a multi rebuy tourny: Gambool or nit it up and stack the gamblers? Assuming 25e rebuys

Do you read or are a member of twoplustwo?

Irish women or Polish women?

Was there any event during your twenties which totally changed your outlook on life?

One word answer, whats the difference between a duck?

Are there any specific goals you would like to achieve before you're 40?

You're stuck on a desert island, how much of yourself could you eat before you died?

Advertisement