Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q + A with El Stuntman

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

Whats your proudest poker moment ???

Who would win in a fight...Strewelpedro OR The one legged romanian at newlands cross ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

The Al Lad wrote: »
    Whats your proudest poker moment ???

at the start of this thread, when I realised I'm in the Hendon Mob database. Now, whenever a potential employer googles my name, that's the first thing that will pop up at them. Brilliant....:cool:
    The Al Lad wrote: »
    Who would win in a fight...Strewelpedro OR The one legged romanian at newlands cross ???

hmmm, Romanians are tricky characters if the ones on the DART are anything to go by. You think you're in a good honest fight against a single one-legged beggar and suddenly her extire extended family have materialised out of nowhere....

I was talking to Strewelpeter at the weekend though and he looks well able to handle himself.

tricky one indeed, I think I'd have to call in my boxing expert (rounders123) to work out the handicap and would base my call on the results of his deliberations.

Lazare wrote: »
    Oh, and 'Bengal Lancer' is rhyming slang for a chancer, although I thought it was 'Bengal Dancer'.

Thanks Conor, you learn something new every day!

Dunphy is an idiot who knows nothing about football. Anyone who respects his opinion is crazy.

he's a rebel and a class act imo

in all seriousness, the RTE crew are the only football analysts that are worth listening to

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

at the start of this thread, when I realised I'm in the Hendon Mob database. Now, whenever a potential employer googles my name, that's the first thing that will pop up at them. Brilliant....:cool:

What do you think about the whole poker on the CV or if it somehow crops up in an interview? Good/Bad thing? Dependent on the job/industry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

he's a rebel and a class act imo

in all seriousness, the RTE crew are the only football analysts that are worth listening to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h15xIoVwWw
    GIles an Dunphy

fobster wrote: »
    What do you think about the whole poker on the CV or if it somehow crops up in an interview? Good/Bad thing? Dependent on the job/industry?

Good question. I work in an industry where the ability to make fast decisions under pressure based on an accurate pricing of risk is the most highly prized characteristic of any employee.
    Poker basically.

Would I ever bring up the fact that I play poker in an interview? No way, unless it was brought up by the interviewer and even then I would greatly play down my interest in it. It's just a question of perceptions; most non-poker players perceive us as being equally as bad as the bedraggled aul' fellas who hang around the bookies all day, blowing their social welfare on the horses. In some cases this perception is correct! I'm not going to argue with an interviewer about whether this perception is right or wrong. In fact if I was going for a job interview, I'd make every effort to cleanse my internet profile of any poker links first. I think anyone going for a job outside the poker industry would be mad to bring up poker at interview.

I interview people for positions occasionally and would be shocked if anyone ever brought up poker in an interview and I almost certainly would not consider them for the job. Reason being that I know that a high proportion (~50% imo) of poker players are degenerate gamblers and therefore are not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I was talking to Strewelpeter at the weekend though and he looks well able to handle himself.

tricky one indeed, I think I'd have to call in my boxing expert (rounders123) to work out the handicap and would base my call on the results of his deliberations.

Outright
    1/10 Strewelpeter - Romanian one-legged beggar 4/1

3/1 Strewelpeter - Romanian one-legged beggar 11/2

KO or TKO
    1/7 Strewelpeter - Romanian one-legged beggar 7/1

Imo. Carry on

wow, why do you make the beggar such a big dog?

surely he's learned a thing or two having to survive in the mean streets with his disability? plus them Romanians always do well in the weightlifting and other such disciplines at the Olympics, who's not to say he doesn't have a superbly well-developed torso to compensate for his one-leggedness?

shoutman wrote: »
    Reveal something about yourself that you think might shock or surprise people on this forum.

sorry Shoutman, I forgot to do this one.....hmmm, not particularly shocking but I am quite superstitious when it comes to playing (live) poker.

I always follow the same routine before I go out to play. Most regs in the SE must think I am very poor as I almost always wear one of my few lucky tops! I always park in the same place. I always buy a packet of polos and a pack of gum on my way in.

I always like to sit in the 2/3 or 8/9 seats (at a 10-handed table) and can get quite antsy if these are all taken. I nearly always drink the same drink.

There's one other thing which I do before every session which I am not going to divulge but it involves a positive flow of poker karma towards me.

all pretty stupid but hey, whatever floats your boat....:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

surely he's learned a thing or two having to survive in the mean streets with his disability? plus them Romanians always do well in the weightlifting and other such disciplines at the Olympics, who's not to say he doesn't have a superbly well-developed torso to compensate for his one-leggedness?

Actually the one legged Romanian begger is a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Ive never seen the one legged guy so my liability wouldnt be a lot!. If he was built like a sh!t brick house the prices would change though. But you know by just looking Strewelpeter that to beat him you'd probably have to kill him.

Also i would imagine begging over a long spell would weaken the spirit somewhat so this alone would negate his learning a few tricks on the mean streets. How much this one legged guy wants to win would be very questionable. Finally mobility is the key and with only one leg its such a huge disadvantage especially against Strewelpeter who you just know by the cut of him is a grapler and would keep the guy on the move as not to fall for a karate kid move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

1 did you do yer bolix in the SE last night??

2 detail the hand you fked up the most

3 detail the hand you luckboxed the most

4 detail the hand (if any) that you played like me (ie brilliant)

5 are the dealers in the SE with the big boobies good or bad for the game? explain in vivid detail ty

and a long one:

i would be in a similar situ to you with respect to mrs bops...

i had planned on going to cork tonight, but last night i got itchy feet and went to play local...

now there's no way i'm getting to cork today since i arrived home at 5.30am...

please gimme plan of action ty (i really wanna play in cork coz they are v retarded)

ty in advance

bops wrote: »
    1 did you do yer bolix in the SE last night??

I ended up €70 for the night and it felt like winning 2 grand. I was majorly card dead which was a pain in the hole given that The Chief was on the table with a 2k+ stack. Was down 600 at one stage and ground it back up again to levels. It was a painful evening though!

example: I have AT in position on The Chief and make a standard raise pre-flop.
    flop comes T82 rainbow, he checks, I bet, he calls
    turn is a seven, he checks, I bet, he calls
    river is a nine, he donks a PSB out there with no hesitation and I make a teeth-grinding fold, only to be shown Q8 :rolleyes:
    2 detail the hand you fked up the most

lol, it's in the HH forum!
    3 detail the hand you luckboxed the most

I didn't get lucky in any hand for the entire night apart from rivering trip 7s in a pot with The Chief, I think I was ahead anyway! That was my best hand of the evening :eek:
    4 detail the hand (if any) that you played like me (ie brilliant)

err none, I played ****e. kpnuts will confirm....:mad: (mind you he won a 1500+ pot with 93s :pac:)
    5 are the dealers in the SE with the big boobies good or bad for the game? explain in vivid detail ty

they're good for the game as they hypnotise some of the sadder degens with their womanly charms and it's thus easier to relieve them of their cash, fixated as they by the ample cleavage on display.....
    and a long one:

i would be in a similar situ to you with respect to mrs bops...

i had planned on going to cork tonight, but last night i got itchy feet and went to play local...

now there's no way i'm getting to cork today since i arrived home at 5.30am...

please gimme plan of action ty (i really wanna play in cork coz they are v retarded)

ty in advance

have you got kids? if yes, I'm sure some kind of compromise arrangement can be worked out whereby you pop mrs bops off to a spa for the day tomorrow while you look after the mini-bops in return for being 'allowed' to go to Cork. Then drop the brats around to their grandparents who can load them up on sugary snacks and aged affection while you catch up on your sleep. Everyone's a winner, no?

lol, they are retarded alright, good job they can't read otherwise you might be in for a batin' later!

But you know by just looking Strewelpeter that to beat him you'd probably have to kill him.

true, a bit like Scarface really

or anyone from Limerick

they're good for the game as they hypnotise some of the sadder degens with their womanly charms and it's thus easier to relieve them of their cash, fixated as they by the ample cleavage on display.....

!

Guilty, one of many leaks..(pardon the pun)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

sorry to re-ask the question, ignore if you want, it's just that it's a question that always interests me

Braclet in a WSOP event with a prize of $500,000 or bubble before final table of main event for $600,000?

Clareman wrote: »
    sorry to re-ask the question, ignore if you want, it's just that it's a question that always interests me

Braclet in a WSOP event with a prize of $500,000 or bubble before final table of main event for $600,000?
    I'll take the extra 100k tyvm

male jewellery is gay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

d'oh, my utmost apologies, thanks for that.

Great read by the way

YULETIRED wrote: »
    Guilty, one of many leaks..(pardon the pun)

lolling at your new location and looking nervously over my shoulder

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

El Stuntman - This is your life!!!!

5starpool wrote: »
    El Stuntman - This is your life!!!!

poor old Eamonn Andrews, them was the days when they had real TV on Saturday evenings - The Generation Game, The A Team, The Krankies etc

where did we lose our way people? (shakes head sadly)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Great Read - I was going to post some irrelevant questions but thought better of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Blip

Great Read - I was going to post some irrelevant questions but thought better of it.

are you feeling OK? :pac::pac::pac:

yeah Joe, crank up that sardonic brain of your and toss the stuntman a few Qs, so you should. so you should....thats what his well is for.
    or at least get indignant that Daniel wasn't mentioned in his top 5 albums... so he wasn't....yes I will ,so I will , no he isn't .

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thread added to the big list of good threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Great Read El Stuntman
    big fan of the blog and its Dr. Gonzo type stories.

one or two questions

You mentioned you were €600 down the other night and grinded back....at what stage would you say enough is enough?

What are your feelings towards the 4 main clubs in the city center? Do you feel there is enough market for all to co-exist successfully?

Do you feel media today is getting dumber and subsequently so are the population?
    I cite, reality tv, the Generic Movie Type Movie franchise and Now/Heat type magazines.

Do you play Omaha? What do you think?

Understandably about 80% of live poker players have no concept of bankroll and just want to blow €200 on entertainment with the opportunity of a spinup.
    What would the optimal live pl 1/2 bankroll be?

Which of the below would most fit your sense of humour?
    Bill Hicks
    Monty Python
    Brendan Grace
    Jimmy Carr

AA UTG or KK on the button?

Have you ever felt bad busting someone who obviously couldn't afford to lose?

Do you hate the phrase SHIP IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Nothing to ask really, just want to say great Q+A, really enjoyed it.
    Also, thanks for introducing me to property pin!

• Advertisement

DeadParrot wrote: »
    You mentioned you were €600 down the other night and grinded back....at what stage would you say enough is enough?

€900, i.e. 3 * 300 buy-ins, that's my limit for a single night
    What are your feelings towards the 4 main clubs in the city center? Do you feel there is enough market for all to co-exist successfully?

The SE is my own personal favourite, I think Alex and John do a great job in there, most of the dealers are good (and also friendly). Their tournament structures are not great in general (The Fitz is better) and their food is horrible. Also, poker players are clearly very much a second priority for the management. I am a creature of habit though and I recognise the silliness of playing in the same place all the time - logic suggests there must be better games elsewhere most of the time. If I was a pro, I have no doubt I'd be moving around much more often.

I've never particularly liked the Fitz or the Jackpot, this is just my personal preference though and they are obviously doing most things right. The Fitz's refurb is very nice and a big improvement.

The one time I went into CHLs, there was no-one there!

I don't think there's room for 4 major cardrooms within a square kilometre of each other and will be surprised if one doesn't close in 2008.
    Do you feel media today is getting dumber and subsequently so are the population?
    I cite, reality tv, the Generic Movie Type Movie franchise and Now/Heat type magazines.

oh jesus yes. I read the IT every day - it's about the only reliable newspaper in the country.

TV is a joke now and I rarely watch it - listening to some of the younger girls in the office going on about the latest edition of Celebrity Arsebiscuits or similar clearly proves to me that too much tv atrophies your brain

on the other hand the internet gives you instant info on pretty much any topic nowadays - you have to filter out a lot of crap first but it is invaluable
    Do you play Omaha? What do you think?

No apart from a little bit online at maybe 0.50/1 or 1/2. I keep meaning to learn and will some day
    Understandably about 80% of live poker players have no concept of bankroll and just want to blow €200 on entertainment with the opportunity of a spinup.
    What would the optimal live pl 1/2 bankroll be?

I don't know about PLO but given the way the HE games are going vis a vis deep stacks, probably 15-20k
    Which of the below would most fit your sense of humour?
    Bill Hicks
    Monty Python
    Brendan Grace
    Jimmy Carr

Bill Hicks
    AA UTG or KK on the button?

I'll take the rockets please
    Have you ever felt bad busting someone who obviously couldn't afford to lose?

Yes, quite a few times in the past but like I said to ollyk, some other gangster is only going to get the loot anyway! So not anymore....
    Do you hate the phrase SHIP IT?

not as much as I hate the phrase 'soooooooo sick'

The phrase 'I have a big hand' is getting a bit overdone now too! It's become a running joke in the SE

Advertisement