Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (UK) 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Irish girl is really staying under the radar so far.
    Not necessarily. As has been pointed out already in the thread, in the edit they only tend to show the bits that will correspond with which ever team is in the firing line in the boardroom. They must shoot hours upon hours of footage so there's no point in showing clips of people just getting stuck in and getting the task done without any bother.
    The people that tend to get shown a lot and people that have fcuked up or who "characters"
    So far I don't think the Irish is either of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Gekko wrote: »

Wondering if the Irish Jenny could be winner material...

The irish one is being watched and will soon be labeled at this years "Slow Starter". Rememer yer one from last year who hung back in the group and Sir Alan Booted her....after she admitted herself she was a slow starter!
    Well, Jenny need€s to show her Braun soon, or she'll be out on her ear.......

Sir Alan will not be fooled me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Simon was that rare thing on The Apprentice - a sound hardworking guy who took responsibilty for his actions instead of blaming someone else. Still, he wasn't going to win, his temperament wasn't right. Claire will get the boot too, don't worry. You could nearly take a stab at naming the final five/four now.

Men:
    Alex - too slimy and looking to pass the buck. Plus Margaret's on to him!
    Kevin - not a chance.
    Other guy (something Sophocles) - always there with a negative comment but doesn't ever seem to do anything.
    Raef - actually seems quite fair, from what we've seen of him. They say Sugar doesn't like the posh boys, but Simon from last year was hardly working class.
    Lee McQueen - in with a chance, if only for the name.

Women:
    Claire - wagon.
    Lucinda - can hardly dress herself.
    Red Head (Jill?) - a bitch in the first ep. Unlikely to win it, but she appears to be calming down.
    Sugababe - too young, doesn't seem to have any brains either.
    Helene - poor this week despite winning but I wouldn't rule her out.
    Sara - seems good, handled the Bollywood pub grub okay. Has a chance.
    Irish girl (Jenny?) - as has been said, she's fairly quiet so far and hasn't done anything wrong. She needs to step up to PM within the next two weeks though.

Overall I would agree that this years group are weaker than other years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I agree with everyone who said it -

The Group are weak this year., it always goes this way in Reality TV shows like this a few years in - the contestants calibre goes to pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I agree with everyone who said it -

The Group are weak this year., it always goes this way in Reality TV shows like this a few years in - the contestants calibre goes to pot!

Maybe so but I followed last years threads aswell and it kept coming up, time and time again that this years group wasn't as good as last years:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bond-007 wrote: »
    That's how you win the show. Hang back for long enough and then make your move.

Possibly but have to say at the moment hope she does not win.

Huggles wrote: »
    I am liking Irish Jenny so far, keeping quiet in background out of all the drama, hopefully when shes called up she will do well.

Don't like the way she is hanging in the backgrond and as a result don't know how anyone can have any real solid opinion of her yet,looking forward to seeing her as team leader to see what she can do, but at the moment can't really make any comment.

LOL did you see Nick and the Britney Spears lookalike the look he gave her was priceless :D the show on bbc 2 showed it again

Have to say I really love the bbc 2 show when they interview the fired apprentice, Adrian Chiles does a great job on it imo

Agree the candidates don't appear strong this year but still great tv.

Still the first series of The Apprentice was the best, anyone remember it? Tim the London Underground worker won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

womoma wrote: »
    Sir Alans assistants were great this week, especially the aul one with the grey hair. She tore into both Claire and Alex, which they deserved.

Margaret? Yeah, she's great, and she really showed this week why she works for Alan Sugar. I had a really strong female boss when I worked in England and she reminds me very much of her. No strident feminist bullsh*t or luvvy-duvviness, just extremely clever and incisive.

Who will win? Raef, I think. It's rare that you see a posh boy that gathers everyone around him as a team rather than p*ssing them off with his hoity-toity talk! And he's really good-looking too... like it or not, looks and charm are an advantage in business.

Though having said that, the Irish girl Jenny and the Bollywood girl Sara both come across as very bright and effective, and seem to have a good bit of common sense. And yes, this is shallow, but Sara has to be the best looking Apprentice candidate ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

What do ppl think of the editing? It's really p!ssing me off that we see so much of some people one week and not a sign of them the next week. For instance, we didn't see what Raef, Jenny or Jennifer were doing last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

What do ppl think of the editing? It's really p!ssing me off that we see so much of some people one week and not a sign of them the next week. For instance, we didn't see what Raef, Jenny or Jennifer were doing last night...

Last task took 2 days, there was 13 people and BBC had just 1 hour to show it. I know what you mean, but I understand that they have to focus on people who are key to the task, which means that most of the time they will be showing 3 people who later end up in the boardroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

That's true alright I suppose. My OH and I were wondering what they get up to in between tasks earlier. Presumably a little shopping or maybe Raef had that marvellous pink jumper in his suitcase just in case :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no time between tasks. They give the impression that it is one task per week but it is filmed over 2 months.
    Owing to the twelve-week broadcast schedule, the audience is given the impression that the candidates stay for 12 weeks in the house and that there are breaks between tasks. The series is actually filmed in about two months, and the filming schedule means that the tasks are generally performed one after the other.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Have to say I really love the bbc 2 show when they interview the fired apprentice, Adrian Chiles does a great job on it imo

+ 1. It's interesting and it's funny. I love the clips they make, like the lads celebrating for example, high fiving and hugging each other.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There is no time between tasks. They give the impression that it is one task per week but it is filmed over 2 months.

Another piece of trivia: the show is filmed in autumn, and aired in spring. In orderd not to reveal who won, the actually film two endings, with Sir Alan hiring one of the finalists in each ending. Finalists themsleves find out who actually won the night before the final is aired. In between the shooting and airing, they both work in one of the Sir Alan's companies as temps. I'd say that's a headwrecking few months for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Clare was a right wagon towards Simon, questioning every call he tried to make. But maybe he should have sent her off doing the sales where she would have had little to do with him. I'm basing this on the fact that we hardly saw a clip of either sales team in action. Alex was hardly much better than Clare either. I was glad that Margaret stuck her oar in (we should see more of her in future, I think), and her comment to Alex was spot on. Overall, Simon lost money, and did not prove himself able to lead his (admittedly poorer than the other) team, so he failed to meet his commitment from Week 3 and deserved to go.

However I was far more fascinated by the going ons on Helene's team. I marked her card during the laundry task when she laid the blame at Shazia's feet for their task failure, sowing the seed that lead to Shazia being fired. And this week she was an utter bitch towards Lucinda. Now, I think Lucinda is incompetent and tries, but fails, to manipulate those around her each week. But it was as if Helene set out her stall to make Lucinda look useless, and get her fired. In other words, she was trying to manage her out of the competition. Maybe Sir Alan would appreciate that tactic, but it was a high risk strategy. Otherwise on this team, I was impressed with Lee's ability to deal with babies, but hardly a management trait that the boss is looking for. And Nick's face at the Britney lookalike - priceless!

Next week looks like Loopy Lucinda is the other team captain - I cannot wait to see her trying to manage Helene and Raef!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Agree that it was great to see Margaret give Alex what for!

Nick has some very spot-on valid opinions too. He was educated at Clongowes apparently.

They both seem very sound people - I can see why SirAlan values them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

If only we could have one episode with nick and margaret as project managers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would love to see that.

Can you imagine the boardroom? "Now tell me Margarget why I shouldn't fire you?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It would be a great idea as a charity special. They could get top business people with Nick and Margaret heading up each team.

Show them how it's really done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FYI there is a special episode on tonight at 9 on BBC2 - The Apprentice: Motor Mouths (paying homage to contestants who just couldn't shut the f**k up) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Next week looks like Loopy Lucinda is the other team captain - I cannot wait to see her trying to manage Helene and Raef!:D
    Raef should be no bother....he gets on with "prince or pauper"!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

However I was far more fascinated by the going ons on Helene's team. I marked her card during the laundry task when she laid the blame at Shazia's feet for their task failure, sowing the seed that lead to Shazia being fired. And this week she was an utter bitch towards Lucinda. Now, I think Lucinda is incompetent and tries, but fails, to manipulate those around her each week. But it was as if Helene set out her stall to make Lucinda look useless, and get her fired. In other words, she was trying to manage her out of the competition. Maybe Sir Alan would appreciate that tactic, but it was a high risk strategy.

I can't understand why she did this - she was the PM, so if they'd lost the task she would've been favourite for the chop. Trying to get rid of a rival like this would be a very high risk strategy at the best of times, but Lucinda is a rival to no-one - she's useless and more than capable of getting herself fired.

Bring on tonight.

They will be making new ice cream flavours - apparently a lot of conflict within the teams. Boardroom should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lindi fired.

Probably should have been Jennifer after "the best salesperson in Europe" made a complete hames of her sales.

The rest of them looked gutted to see Jennifer coming back. They really don't like her.:D

Yeah, that just shows how misleading can be what they are actually showing.

She seemed like a nice girl before.

I think he got it right this week.

"I'm just overwhelmed by how good we are" by Irish Jenny was my favourite quote of the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I'm sorry to see Lindi and her sultry good looks gone... at least there's Sara and, to a certain extent Irish Jennifer, from the totty point of view.

If they go, all we'll have to look at will be no-mirrors-in-the-house Lucinda, the chin from hell - scary Jenny, mingy Helene and loudmouth Claire.

Pure shallow... I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

It's very infrequently that I don't feel anyone deserved to be fired, but this week was one of those.

Both teams made great sales, and if it hadn't been for the last minute deal, the other team would have been on the chopping block, and presumably Clare would have gone.

I am glad that Lindi is gone - I didn't think she had any talent other than selling and asking people for tips.

Irish Jennifer really came across badly tonight. I suspect she will be made PM next week to see how she controls a team. Maybe she will surprise again just like Lucinda did. She was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah supersales person Jenny came across badly this week, she made a bad business decision in the exclusivity deal with the cinemas, I wonder if they had got more sales then the other team would Sugar have allowed them to stand, as he said he would have cancelled the cinema & bar sales if he had known it earlier.
    I don't think Jenny is project manager from the clips I've seen for next week, after her cold reception at the house I think she wouldn't take it on, unless Sugar makes her.
    In the end Lindi went this week, which is the right decision as she brought nothing to the teams she was on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Worked with Jenny before. Was wondering what was going on with The Apprentice for a while there. Was surprised when she actually came accross as good up to now. I Was waiting to see if she was focused on by the editors and i have to say she now looks like the real Jenny.

Overconfident and useless person who everyone hates and cant get away from quickly enough. But somehow she is a legend in her own mind.

She is not liked by anyone that i know of. I was thinking there must be something wrong the way she was portrayed up til last night. But now its spot on.

And that is typical of her. She never misses an oppertunity to make others look bad. Did anyone notice that when she layed into Lucinda, that at that point there was no reason or need for it, bar that it was just an chance to stick the knife into someone else when she thought she herself was safe, so that she would get the credit for winning the task (which she was cock sure she had done).

Advertisement