Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (UK) 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Ivicia

I was LOLing at the £5000 for the laundry ($6600 btw), the hotline and doing a tonne of someones laundry for a tenner and thinking they charged too much - when Sir Alna had a go at them I had tears in my eyes.

The PM was kept because she will be good tv , think the blond should have gone for not getting up in the morning.

Raif is my favorite so far - how does he think of so many words???

It really is must see tv - think its repeated on bbc about 7pm on tuesday but not worth watching as you get a pain in your head with the amount of 'beeps' they have to put in - .......

The "you're fired" is really good also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Does anyone else think that ginger PM looks like the witch from the Wizrad of Oz what with being so chin-tastic 'n all? She should have gone, her one-hour "how to sell" lecture at the onset of the task was pathetic.

Incidentally, did anyone see that vile Miss Piggy slut Katie Hopkins on Tubridy earlier pontificating about how she would always choose men over women in business? Cock sucker.....literally. She really does abuse the right to be ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

She reminds me of a nasty version of the gooch (The kerry gaa fella).

Someone stick up a picture of both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As requested:
    gooch.jpgjenny.jpg

One is a contestant in a BBC series and the other is a Kerry GAA player. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Bond-007 wrote: »
    As requested:
    jenny.jpg

One is a contestant in a BBC series and the other is a Kerry GAA player. :)
    katieapprentice460.jpg

Ahh but Katie is still uglier.....

• Advertisement

Quality wrote: »
    katieapprentice460.jpg

Ahh but Katie is still uglier.....

Christ what a mingbag.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Marlar

How can you say she is ugly??? That is the face she uses on the men to get what she wants!

Thats her best foot forward :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

On Friday - i think it was at 8 p.m. - they were showing American Apprentice, I think it was on Dave. Just noticed it few minutes before it ended, so I didn't actually watch it. I'm not sure which season it is, but in the description it said it was a first episode of the season, and Martha Stewart is the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah that Apprentice: Martha Stewart was on a few years ago in the States. Absolutely tanked (she wasn't tough at all, and she used it as a platform to promote her own brands), but the series was fairly entertaining. Trump publicly said he hated it.

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah that Apprentice: Martha Stewart was on a few years ago in the States. Absolutely tanked (she wasn't tough at all, and she used it as a platform to promote her own brands), but the series was fairly entertaining. Trump publicly said he hated it.

Did she do just one season?

I remember reading about it - i think she wouldn't even say "You are fired" but "We going to have to let you go", bacause she didn't want to be mean.

I'm gonna give it a go anyway, see what it's like, for some reason I', expecting US contestants to be even more deluded than UK ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

ojewriej wrote: »
    On Friday - i think it was at 8 p.m. - they were showing American Apprentice, I think it was on Dave. Just noticed it few minutes before it ended, so I didn't actually watch it. I'm not sure which season it is, but in the description it said it was a first episode of the season, and Martha Stewart is the boss.

That was done around the same time as the Trump version in season two or three. It's excellent apart from her annoying way of firing them - "It was very nice to meet you... (shakes hands, writes them a letter of recommendation)" No killer "You're Fired!". Martha does have a reputation as America's Darling to protect. Good show though. The Trump version has just finished Season 7 (Celebrity Apprentice).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Trump's Celebrity Apprentice was the best season since 1 & 2. Because there was something tangeable to be gained from each task (up to $50k for Project Manager's charity), the contestants were pretty ruthless to each other. Plus it was a pretty likeable (and hateable) group of people. I think NBC have already commissioned a second series of the Celebrity format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

So who do you think is going to get fired this week?

Solely based on the trailer at the end of the previous show, I would hazard a guess at Kevin (the only gay in the village) on the basis that the boys seems to make (literally) a dog's dinner of the task and he seemed to be barking orders at some of the others. If I am completely wrong, then I will concede that they do not edit these trailers really badly. ;)

I am also looking forward to the ongoing feud between Jenny-the-Chin and Lucinda-the-Hamster. :)

They do seem to edit those clips rather poorly. It is easy enough to guess who will be fired from where he points.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They do seem to edit those clips rather poorly. It is easy enough to guess who will be fired from where he points.

It seems to be easy to predict which team will loose al right, but I'm not so sure about guessing who will be fired. Sir Alan often surprises - just look at lastweek's episode, it looked like the red headed one will go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Best show on TV by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They're doing some gig now where they dress up like bollywood stars and serve indian food in a pub. One of em is priding herself on the idea of how they're gonna get "personal" with the punters in order to get bigger tips.

I'll tell ya, if some waitress in a restaurant tried to shake my hand and ask me my name she'd be getting an earful from me.

Smile, take the order, serve the food and fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

What a disaster.

My personal highlight in terms of entertainment value; halving the pizzas, throwing on some lettuce and hoping customers wouldn't notice! Jesus.

Sir Alan got it right this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Ian???? :eek:

Huggles wrote: »
    My personal highlight in terms of entertainment value; halving the pizzas,

Cringe!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Hilarious stuff tonight. The chin shouldn't smile. That Kevin one is a right tool.

Best quote of the evening was on the You're Fired programmes. Ian said, "There wasn't an opening for a gay Welsh comedian, otherwise Kevin could have been Daffyd."

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

does anyone else feel like sir alan will never fire the more interesting people at the stake of the good ones?

last week was a perfect example,ginger one was crazy and couldn't organise her team at all but the other one got fired because she was a less interesting character??

kinda makes the experience more artificial...

Another good episode.

Sir Alan got it right, Ian was shying away from any responsibility, making sure that he will have people to blame. Kevin messed it up big time, but Ian should have spotted it when they were talking about the menu. It was clear Kevin didn't have a clue. And wasn't Simon a chef in the army?

Halving the pizzas was classic, and your man who brought it to the table (don't remember his name) was brutal explaining it to the customer.

I think Simon and that Irish girl will do well. Especially her, she had some good ideas, and she stays out of the fighting.

Don't like this Kevin bastard, wouldn't trust him a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

zuchum wrote: »
    does anyone else feel like sir alan will never fire the more interesting people at the stake of the good ones?

last week was a perfect example,ginger one was crazy and couldn't organise her team at all but the other one got fired because she was a less interesting character??

kinda makes the experience more artificial...

I thought so last week as well. It seemed to me that he kept the ginger and the other one she was argueing with because they'd make better tv than the woman that was fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think the UK Apprentice with 'sir' east-end Alan is wearing thin as entertainment. It is repetitive and Sugar more often than not selects the wrong person to fire based on the 10% he knows about who did what in the task. He usually ends up with a winner at the end of the series who is not suitable to him or his businesses. He usually finds this out at the interview stage of the last 3 contestants - which is too late to be doing interviews. But at the end of the day he doesnt care. I dont know the finances of the show but he must be getting something from it which is enough to offset any expenses he has.

This week the project leader did make a mistake by opting for a head chef position and then by staying with him all the time in the kitchen as his 'helper'. He either shouldnt have selected a head chef, equivalent to 'sub-project manager', or else selected one but gone into the other half of the team split. He might have made an okay apprentice, who knows, but he is not a project manager type. Few of them are!

And yeah, getting rid of that woman in the previous week was a clear mistake. She took it upon herself to help organise the work they were doing, and when part of that failed, she got all the whack, whereas the two squabblers were pretty pathetic and the group as a whole were mindless. The project manager in that week should have gone too.

The apprentice has little to do with real business and is closer to an MTV reality show for entertainment purposes.

By the way, in terms of gender discrimination, it would be against the law to split teams based on gender alone, but these people are not employees. Its a false work environment and its a poor method of selecting an employee. Its also juvenile and aimed at schoolyard infant mentality - boys against the girls. Pathetic.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

redspider wrote: »
    The apprentice has little to do with real business and is closer to an MTV reality show for entertainment purposes.

+1
    That's why it's so successful!
    I think it gives the viewer the impression they are watching (and talking about to their friends) something smart and intellegent.
    It's getting more like Big Brother tasks each time tbh...
    That said, I still rather enjoy it, although they are almost 'stressing' the entertainment factor on it recently.

Dragons Den... now there's a proper business / entertainment show!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Oh where do I start.

Well so long Ian, I will miss looking at you cause you were really hot!!! But to be honest you deserved to go!! You and your hair straighteners!!

Another hilarious episode, The boys really make me laugh. Your man Michael is a right gob ****e... "The Meat Feast" "It will fill a hole" and the eye brow thing. And his singing and that terrible explanation for the Pizza, If he worked for me, he would be fired.

Kevin is terrible, Terrible to look at, and listen to, Looking forward to seeing him next week though!

The girls are great at using their female strengths in order to get what they want, But what in the name of god were they thinking hiring that bollywood dancer, I thought I was going to fall off the chair laughing.

I really like Simon, He nearly died when he called sir Alan, Alan...

Cant wait for next week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Quality wrote: »
    I really like Simon, He nearly died when he called sir Alan, Alan...

Is it only British people who have to call him "Sir" Alan? Would the Irish girl get away with calling him Alan (or "Al" perhaps if she's into the whole brevity thing).

redspider wrote: »
    This week the project leader did make a mistake by opting for a head chef position and then by staying with him all the time in the kitchen as his 'helper'. He either shouldnt have selected a head chef, equivalent to 'sub-project manager', or else selected one but gone into the other half of the team split. He might have made an okay apprentice, who knows, but he is not a project manager type. Few of them are!

And yeah, getting rid of that woman in the previous week was a clear mistake. She took it upon herself to help organise the work they were doing, and when part of that failed, she got all the whack, whereas the two squabblers were pretty pathetic and the group as a whole were mindless. The project manager in that week should have gone too.

By the way, in terms of gender discrimination, it would be against the law to split teams based on gender alone, but these people are not employees. Its a false work environment and its a poor method of selecting an employee. Its also juvenile and aimed at schoolyard infant mentality - boys against the girls. Pathetic.
    Redspider

You think it's pathetic, and yet you watch it.

I don't think anyone is looking for any business tips in this show, it is a reality show made for entertainment purposes. Obviously some decisons are made with ratings in mind. So what? It's far better than most of the stuff you see on telly these days.

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote: »
    Is it only British people who have to call him "Sir" Alan? Would the Irish girl get away with calling him Alan (or "Al" perhaps if she's into the whole brevity thing).
    Nope. All persons regardless of nationality must call him Sir.

Knights that are not UK nationals are not called sir. Bob Geldof KBE is not entitled to be called sir but the British media often give him this title incorrectly.

Advertisement