Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (UK) 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

WTF...

That was a disgraceful decision..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Well dont think anyone can say they saw that coming, Raef was nearly everyones banker to win the show. Michael again gets through by the skin of his teeth. Really hard to know whos gonna be hired now because personally i dont think any of them stand out as being amazing so someone is really going to have to shine in the next task or two and do something out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Poor old Raef. It was actually quite a good ad only for his pretentiousness getting the better of him.

Michael has more lives than a cat. Can't believe he's survived until now.

Looking like Claire will win to me. Dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Absolutely the right decision the man's a complete idiot. Both of them should have been fired IMO. They made the most obvious mistake you could possibly make in advertising and one that's been pointed out in previous seasons when this task comes up PUT THE BLOODY PRODUCT IN THE AD!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You know when people say 'my jaw dropped' and you think 'ha, ya, but it didn't actually drop'?

Well tonight my jaw dropped.

I was fully convinced that Raef would win the whole thing.

It was nice to see the love-in on 'You're Fired' though. The audience really liked him! And himself and Michael were funny together, although I still think Michael is a tool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

An absolutely diabolical decision by Sir Alan. He clearly didn't like Raef on a personal level and I think he was looking for any excuse to fire him. You could see it last week when he asked about the risks taken in selecting the wedding dresses and again at the start of the show last night when he selected Raef for PM.

How could Sir Alan say that Raef has been lucky to win most of the challenges that were conducted in previous weeks? As far as I could see Raef played a major role in the card challenge, the restaurant challenge (PM) and the trip to Morocco. Sir Alan reasons for firing him were certainly dubious to say the least.

I thought Raef had every right to be angry about the decision but there was no one onze bitterness towards Sir Alan and the other contestants. The sign of a classy guy. I'm sure he'll prove a big success in whatever area of business he goes into. Sir Alan made an absolute howler IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Notice how SAS came to his decision very quickly. Michael didn't get a hard time from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Notice how SAS came to his decision very quickly. Michael didn't get a hard time from him.

That's true and altough I think Raef didn't do very well, Surallan has let others off with far worse, he obviously didn't like him, too much charm and ability to work with people for the apprentice me thinks, it's no good if you can't shout at people and throw tantrums every episode :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

too much charm and ability to work with people for the apprentice me thinks,

Excellent point

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Raef was excellent on the Your Fired show, they did a nice montage of him preparing himself every morning with James Blunt's Your Beautiful playing at the same time :)
    Sugar obviously didn't like him and I thought Nick was a bit of a dick with his parting comment after Raef had left the room!
    They seriously need to look at replacing Sugar for next year they should get one of the Dragons Den guys in either Duncan Bannatyne or Peter Jones in. I'm even fed up of Nick and Margeret they are getting to big for their boots and have to come out with some smart quip every show.

I think Tre from last year summed it up pretty well in his BBC column
    I've been quite harsh on Sir Alan lately because I feel he's made some bad decisions in the boardroom. I'm sad to say my opinion hasn't changed this week. It's true that Raef's leadership was disappointing, but surely by this stage contenders shouldn't be judged on their performance on any given week, but on the amalgam of task results over the series as a whole.

Raef's record over the period is generally good; he's certainly made a greater contribution than either Claire or Michael. Don't forget, he came up with the singles day concept that gave his team a win, bought the best bargain - the cowhide - in Marrakesh, and last week made the bold decision to get the all-important high-value wedding dresses; ultimately, that move led to the big prize. Oddly, none of that mattered this week.

Sharing the blame once more this week were Claire - is Nick Hewer in her fan club or what? - and the infamous Michael. Surely he's more of an actor than anything else? He played up to Sir Alan in the boardroom, managed to take the credit - for a losing task! - and managed to convince Sir Alan that he was more than a useless piece of *****. Amazing!

So, this week brought us another dubious result in the boardroom. Who is to say it's not Sir Alan who is no more than just hot air? With all the madness around, I'm starting to wonder - exactly what kind of apprentice does he want this year?
    out of the people who are left I'm actually hoping Lucinda wins as I can't stand the rest of them.

• Advertisement

I agree, I would like to see Lucinda win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

here's the Raef clip that I mentioned above from the Your Fired show :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

What a shock it was. I can't believe the slimeball Michael survived again.

"Everything of any value in this task was contributed by me". What an asshole. For a moment there I was sure he will be sacked ginger Jenny style.

It looks more and more like there is some agenda there. I understand that on this stage is the decision is being made based on something more than just current task. That's why it's so hard to understand why Raef went. As someone said above - Raef did contribute to his teams.

Anyway, I'm done guessing who will win, there is absolutely no point.

I just can't wait for Michael in the you are fired. I hope they will rip him apart.

Same as others, I hope Lucinda will win. Even though she is very whiny, she is the best of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I cannot believe that that slimey numpty Michael is still in the running. Not impressed with last nights decision at all!

It wouln't surprise me at all if he is in the last 2.
    Last night it was personal.

Suralun fancies himself as a bit of a working class hero despite his wealth so I think posh old Raef was always battling uphill with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Gutted that Michael survived. Raef has performed so well in so many tasks - the wedding dresses, the gift cards, the laundry and the market tasks. Whereas Sophocles has been disaster after disaster. Why is he still there? At this stage I think SAS wants him to go into the final 4 interview process so his henchmen can tear him to shreds. Well I can but hope.

I thought that Alex was a desperately poor PM. While he had obviously viewed the previous ad tasks, and knew to position the brand with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, he did not manage his team, and left if to Lee to argue with and placate Lucinda, who was as stroppy a cow tonight as Ginger Jenny ever was. But she did look fab in that dress in Harvey Nicks, so I forgive her a few strops from tonight:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    An absolutely diabolical decision by Sir Alan. He clearly didn't like Raef on a personal level and I think he was looking for any excuse to fire him.

Why was Sugar on Jonathon Ross last week saying how much he liked Raef? I think he made the right choice if he was basing his decision on this task alone. Raef didn't use any business acumen at all in the film project. What was with obsession with the Welsh weather girl? WTF was that all about?

He was a real disappointment after some great performances in earlier shows. Ultimately I think he was too nice and maybe lacks the killer instinct Sugar might be looking for. At this stage looks like Claire has it won, although I'm sure Sugar isn't too impressed that he has to give any of this lot 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Ivicia

I was sure Raef woudl win since week 2 but I have given it more thought.

BTW Raefs comment about why girls are size 16-32 is the quote of the show for me.

Here is my summary now:

ALEX
    Sir Alan seems to have a set on Alex - see how he asked him to be team leader. If Ales was a bit less prickley he'd win - if he had a more Simon, Tim and the blond girl (previous winners) as otherwise he 'fits' with previous choices.

LEE
    He was very dissapointed with Lee presentation (which was crap) and if you have a meltdown like that you're not getting hired.

CLAIRE
    I think Claire shoudl win but as well as annoying him, he doesn't like overly confident people IMO its more of an 'sureness of oneself that he likes - which I say in a very Raef way.

ALANE
    a bit all gong and no dinner for me...too confidant also

LUCINDA
    I think Lucinda now - she is 'sure' of herself without being too - "I'm the best / I never lose ....

MICHAEL

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

So shocked after last night.poor raef...he was the best contestant by far..after him...the only person I think is any use is Lucinda.

Sophocles: useless,snivelling.
    Alex: has been incredibly lucky;contributes nothing
    Claire: mouthy,irritating,conniving
    Lee: he has enthusiasm,but that's it
    Helene: solid enough,been trying t stay out of the limelight,not really winner potential IMO

they got rid of the only one with any morals last night,so its all downhill from here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Yeah I think it's very slim pickings as regards trying to pick a winner. My money's on Claire or Lee. Best of a bad lot this year I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

zuchum wrote: »
    So shocked after last night.poor raef...he was the best contestant by far..after him...the only person I think is any use is Lucinda.

Sophocles: useless,snivelling.
    Alex: has been incredibly lucky;contributes nothing
    Claire: mouthy,irritating,conniving
    Lee: he has enthusiasm,but that's it
    Helene: solid enough,been trying t stay out of the limelight,not really winner potential IMO

they got rid of the only one with any morals last night,so its all downhill from here

Completely agree with you, I think that Alan Sugar had it in for Raef on a personal level, I mean there was such a contrast between the way that the two of them were brought up and I'd say that Sugar resents him for that, thats the only logical conclusion that I can draw.

Raef could sell anything, presented meticulously, had (possibley too much) confience, could manage people and was a team player so in essence he had absolutely everything Sugar wanted in an apprentice. He also appeared to be the only one to have dignity and honesty.He also drew a big crowd watching the programme, I wont be so eager to watch it now that hes gone.

I can see Claire winning now, but as Raef's gone. I'd like to see Lee win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Sir Alan has made so many bad decisions this series: Raef joins my list of people who shouldn't have been fired, along with Shazia, Simon, Lindi and Sara.
    Of the contestants left, I really can't stand Alex. He's an absolute snake, ducks out of as much responsibility as possible and yet uses his "charm" to get out of trouble.
    Sophocles - meh! He hasn't a hope of winning so it doesn't really matter when he goes.
    Helene - still a complete non-event.
    Lucinda - she's improved a lot throughout the show, but she's probably still too eccentric and batty for Sir Alan's taste.
    Lee - could make the final, has talent.
    Claire - I've always thought Claire looked like the winner and I still would guess at her winning. She's able to stand up for herself and always works really hard. Even though Sir Alan moans about her big gob, it's obvious he likes her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Suralun fancies himself as a bit of a working class hero despite his wealth so I think posh old Raef was always battling uphill with him.
    That's nonsense, Michael was hardly dragged up in a working class council estate yet he keeps surviving the boardroom each week.

farva wrote: »
    I think that Alan Sugar had it in for Raef on a personal level, I mean there was such a contrast between the way that the two of them were brought up and I'd say that Sugar resents him for that, thats the only logical conclusion that I can draw...
    See above.

farva wrote: »
    Raef could sell anything, presented meticulously, had (possibley too much) confience, could manage people and was a team player so in essence he had absolutely everything Sugar wanted in an apprentice. He also appeared to be the only one to have dignity and honesty.He also drew a big crowd watching the programme, I wont be so eager to watch it now that hes gone..
    I think you’re confusing “being entertaining” with being good at your job. Sugar obviously seen through all the niceties and pleasantries and just thought Raef wasn’t up for the job.

Why was Sugar on Jonathon Ross last week saying how much he liked Raef?.
    You can still like someone and not want them to work for you. And Ross just put Sugar on the spot, he was hardly gonna slate a contestant that was still in the running.

I think he made the right choice if he was basing his decision on this task alone. Raef didn't use any business acumen at all in the film project. What was with obsession with the Welsh weather girl? WTF was that all about?

He was a real disappointment after some great performances in earlier shows. Ultimately I think he was too nice and maybe lacks the killer instinct Sugar might be looking for.
    Totally agree. Raef was virtually a passenger in the last two tasks. He’s a bit like the advert he produced, all style and no substance.

Sir Alan has made so many bad decisions this series: Raef joins my list of people who shouldn't have been fired, along with Shazia, Simon, Lindi and Sara.
    Of the contestants left, I really can't stand Alex. He's an absolute snake, ducks out of as much responsibility as possible and yet uses his "charm" to get out of trouble.
    Sophocles - meh! He hasn't a hope of winning so it doesn't really matter when he goes.
    Helene - still a complete non-event.
    Lucinda - she's improved a lot throughout the show, but she's probably still too eccentric and batty for Sir Alan's taste.
    Lee - could make the final, has talent.
    Claire - I've always thought Claire looked like the winner and I still would guess at her winning. She's able to stand up for herself and always works really hard. Even though Sir Alan moans about her big gob, it's obvious he likes her.
    God, your choice of people that should’ve of stayed is so off the mark, and Lucinda you think is too eccentric yet Raef isn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

with respect to the above, michael still deserved to go, he was as much at fault as raef and then that nonsense about everything good was due to him :eek:

god know how her survived

and wtf is a telesales executive, is it what i think it is?

how did he even get on in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

why do they always say thank you when he fires them :confused:

if it was me id say "what? hold on... you're firing me?? ME, instead of any of these FUKING *TWITS* SITTING HERE??? YOU'RE A STUPID OUL BOLLIX SUGAR. DO YE HEAR ME? YOU'RE FUKCING PASSED IT. GO FUKC YOURSELF YE CNUT" then slam that glass door so hard that it shatters and then grope frances' tit on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cyrus wrote: »
    with respect to the above, michael still deserved to go, he was as much at fault as raef and then that nonsense about everything good was due to him :eek:

god know how her survived

and wtf is a telesales executive, is it what i think it is?

how did he even get on in the first place
    Don't get me wrong, I still think Michaels should've went weeks ago and every week since, I just think that that aside Raef kinda deserved to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

In his own way Raef probably did deserve to go, although I think Helene, Alex and Michael, probably in a different order, will be next in the firing line.

Having said that I think in her own particular way, Lucinda is probably a bit too good to be The Apprentice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

BaZmO* wrote: »
    God, your choice of people that should’ve of stayed is so off the mark
    I'm not necissarily saying they would still be here now, but they should not have been fired when they were.
    Laundry Task: Ginger Jenny should have been fired instead of Shazia.
    Photography Task: Alex should have gone because he completely dodged any responsibiltiy. Simon wasn't terrific on that task but he deserved another chance.
    Ice-Cream Task: Irish Jenny should have gone. Lindi was a hard worker who got on with everyone and always maintained a positive attitude.. Jennifer was just a negative influence.
    Marrakesh / Wedding / Tissue tasks - How Michael has survived through these tasks is beyond me. Sara and Raef should both still be there.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's nonsense, Michael was hardly dragged up in a working class council estate yet he keeps surviving the boardroom each week

Michael is hardly even in the same ballpark as Raef as far as extravagant poshness goes so I call "nonsense". I think Raef just grated on Sugar and you could see it even in the first couple of episodes.

Advertisement