Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Are they closing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

madmaggie wrote: »
    Are they closing?

I'm not sure. Was in Carlow today and they have sale plastered all over the windows. On a separate note was in the new food hall on Dublin Street. Beautiful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Flyer in the door today for a local watering hole; unusual as in no other establishments locally advertise this way.

Normally it's just the usual fast food joints & electronic retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bramleys closing ???

One of the absolute rock solid Carlow institutions

Yer man the son meant to be a great sales man

I will not believe it.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Flyer in the door today for a local watering hole; unusual as in no other establishments locally advertise this way.

Which out of interest was it

• Advertisement

Which out of interest was it

I'll Pm ya; don't want to advertise!

So TK Maxx & Home Sense're on hold for Hanover Retail Pk. due to an appeal by Fairgreen owners > https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/property-companys-in-carlow-embroiled-in-planning-row-959822.html

This bit made me laugh > "The Fairgreen reserves the right to comment on proposals which put forward unsustainable development proposals which will have detrimental impacts on Carlow town centre.”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So TK Maxx & Home Sense're on hold for Hanover Retail Pk. due to an appeal by Fairgreen owners > https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/property-companys-in-carlow-embroiled-in-planning-row-959822.html

This bit made me laugh > "The Fairgreen reserves the right to comment on proposals which put forward unsustainable development proposals which will have detrimental impacts on Carlow town centre.”

The irony....seen as their own Shopping centre tore the heart out of Carlow town centre! Protectionism at its finest, using entirely legal mechanisms to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

road_high wrote: »
    The irony....seen as their own Shopping centre tore the heart out of Carlow town centre! Protectionism at its finest, using entirely legal mechanisms to do so.

Yeah the town centre is pretty shattered. Walked up Tullow St yesterday. Sad to see. Remember it a pretty busy when I was in the RTC in Carlow back in the mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paulrice1976

holyhead wrote: »
    I see that Bramleys is for sale. Noticed it on daft.ie

I had a look on daft cant find it

• Advertisement

So TK Maxx & Home Sense're on hold for Hanover Retail Pk. due to an appeal by Fairgreen owners >

arnt they the one taking the life blood away from the town fgs

who?

I had a look on daft cant find it

Thomas M. Byrnes on Dublin St.'re handling sale of Bramleys on Dublin St.; here's the DAFT posting & it's P.O.A.; thanks > https://www.daft.ie/carlow/commercial-property-for-sale/retail-units-for-sale/62-64-dublin-street-carlow-town-carlow-905642/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I went into town this afternoon and couldn't believe how quiet it was. Being a bank holiday weekend I was expecting plenty of traffic, especially around Fairgreen. It was like a quiet Tuesday. Where was everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Anyone know where the Wooden Tavern Pub in Tomard used to be? I can't see it anywhere on Google Street View, or any specific address online.

Went for a drive up around Bilboa today. It's the absolute boonies up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Anyone know where the Wooden Tavern Pub in Tomard used to be? I can't see it anywhere on Google Street View, or any specific address online.

https://goo.gl/maps/1VbkUWucyNDXMuAC7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

When the M9 was built ten years ago the road was realigned and the layout changed- it got its own little bypass then!

Perrys Cash & Carry Warehouse is owned by Carlow Co. Co.

It was due to be used by Trib Fest & the Scarefest Finale (Trib Fest was a Scarefest event) with plans for food & drink stalls at Trib Fest too.

Trib Fest was pulled belatedly to Seven Oaks instead; was this down to ticket sales numbers or is a different reason behind it?

Witch burning due to occur in Perrys is also cancelled; 5 Euro ticket price due to be refunded; this is now being held on grounds of Carlow Courthouse.

Scarefest probably can't say why both events're moved for legal/commercial reasons......but I wonder if it's not to do with ticket sales for both events then why would they be moved so belatedly in both circumstances?

Is there a H&S reason involving the council and/or public liability insurance, lack of volunteer stewards etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I see the Barry Fitzgerald thing tonight in Ducketts Grove has been cancelled too. Is Scarefest a bit of a farce?

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    I see the Barry Fitzgerald thing tonight in Ducketts Grove has been cancelled too. Is Scarefest a bit of a farce?

I can't see it on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I can't see it on their site

https://www.yourdaysout.ie/events-on-in-county-carlow-ireland/paranormal-night-scarefest-carlow-4421

they cancelled wednesday night. their facebook says it was cancelled due to the weather last night.

Their site is gone already. ive attached a screenshot from the facebook event

""Unfortunately, despite active engagement by Carlow County Council, an event management and safety plan suitable for the proposed activities of Scarefest was not provided to the standard required for the proposed activities therefore in the interest of public safety access was not granted.""

That and more on the Witch Trial finale of Scarefest being hastily moved from Perrys to steps of Courthouse here via Carlow Live > https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/490584/access-not-granted-to-perry-s-for-scarefest-events-due-to-lack-of-suitable-safety-plan.html?fbclid=IwAR3Eg08WdjnS5rl7vSSI_xPjHffEA4jXf8nPFPGBcQ-inFogtsWSp8SOYHU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

There is talk that the council want to put women in the mens hostel to ease the pressure on them about not having a womens refuse. Also talk that the SVP want out of the homeless business and are trying to off load there hostels around the Country including the Carlow mens one to other charities and if the Carlow is not took takeover it may close and Carlow won't have anywhere for men or women.

There is talk that the council want to put women in the mens hostel to ease the pressure on them about not having a womens refuse. Also talk that the SVP want out of the homeless business and are trying to off load there hostels around the Country including the Carlow mens one to other charities and if the Carlow is not took takeover it may close and Carlow won't have anywhere for men or women.

Don’t worry plenty more out there wanting to jump in the “charity” gravy train all competing for the same taxpayers money and donations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Don’t worry plenty more out there wanting to jump in the “charity” gravy train all competing for the same taxpayers money and donations

Not really worried that is why i called it a homeless business just more that council trying to find quick fixes will end up with no hostel in the end that is just typical of the Carlow council.

Spot on; between quangos & reg'd charities and pseudo charities & charitable organisations there's no way anyone should be going cold or hungry or sleeping on the street; the queues that're put out on social media do one thing; generate funds for that particular soup run.

Remember if it's not a reg'd charity the volunteers don't have to be Gda. Vetted or have any checks in place regarding auditing of income/expenditure etc.

Am shocked here in Carlow town to see 4 SVDP Conferences; things aren't that bad surely?

Without saying how I know, there was a situation a few years back that wasn't corrected whereby an individual was given a SV voucher and the amount was written out in pen; think it was for 60 Euro; the individual tried to doctor it for 160 but it was caught at the till; was he arrested for attempted fraud? Was he ****!

Another scenario locally; an annual A/W call to various houses on a list to see do they still need the weekly or fortnightly bag of coal and/or bale of briquettes from a local fuel supplier.

Leading question; what individual's going to say no to a free bag of coal worth 16 Euro & a bale of briquettes worth about 4 Euro per week or fortnight.

One particular local estate where calls were made to houses had most of their properties on GFCH so those in receipt of the fuel (and many were also receiving the annual 20 Fuel Allowance per week for the Oct.-April period) were then flogging 'em on!!!

As for St. Clares Hospitality Kitchen I often wonder why adults can't pay 1 Euro a day to it and children 50 Cents; surely that's not a lot to ask?

While they're a reg'd charity, there's no audits being done on who comes in so it's free for all at expense of those who are genuinely deserving.

Think Graiguecullen/Killeshin Parish also donate food parcels; think figure's about 80 or 90 bags a week!!

Am sure there's other examples locally such as those who're enabling the beggars who still hit up Circle K/Deerpark Service Stn., Maxol/Mace on O'Brien Rd,, Askea Church, Carlow Cathedral, Hanover Retail Pk. (Woodies & Homestore in particular seem to be quite popular lucrative), ALDI @ Hanover Retail Pk., Shamrock Plaza; the convicted armed robber & burglar who used tap @ Dealz for 2 or more years was in the paper last week for begging again; 22 convictions now and nothing more than a 100 Euro Fine.

Homelessness is an industry; it's a business and if it was ever resolved even from the current 10,000 or so down to 1,000 or less nationwide there'd be a lot of stakeholders who'd be quite unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

^^^ Add addiction, mental health, cancer services etc etc if a solution was found to any of them there would be thousands upon thousands out of work!!!

Interesting take on CW-KK for GE 2020 with this contributor going 3 FF & 2 FG but not ruling out GP which he reckons would endanger CW FG seat > https://kilkennynow.ie/paidi-manning-how-kilkennys-general-election-candidates-are-shaping-up/

While many say we need 2 TDs in Carlow I'd be more concerned about quality than quantity; am quite an admirer of Cllr. Noonan (GP) and he secured a seat at expense of Sen. Murnane O'Connor I wouldn't be too disappointed at all.

• Advertisement

Met my buddy from Carlow earlier for a coffee in bray.

Rumors in town that wetherspoons might be closing down due to lack of business?

Advertisement