Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday evening/Monday - Very Severe Storm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Windows just bent in for the first time, quite squally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

DMC wrote: »
    There is the difference.... RTÉ will look out the window and/or rely on Met Éireann, Sky News have hours to fill :)

Sky "News" like to put the worst angle on every story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Way too much hype in the media about this, they'll be embarassed tomorrow when people are wondering where the storm is. They could at least say the worst winds will only be confined to the SW.

Good webcam now showing a more churned up sea;http://www.oceanscene.ie/blog/?cat=2
    Some of those waves already look to be getting up to the sea wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If dewpoints stay the way they are, things could get VERY interesting in hilly areas as the precipitation moves eastward.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Winds turned to be a strong easterly for some unknown reason. Anyone confirm this near me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote: »
    If dewpoints stay the way they are, things could get VERY interesting in hilly areas as the precipitation moves eastward.

Yes, this could be very interesting. Temp here has dropped to 2.8c and DP is -3.3c. Some points:

1) Another drop of 1c and we are in serious snow territory.
    2) This front is arriving at exactly the right time, unlike last Monday where the snow was forecast around midday and temps here were around 4.5c
    3) There is some serious precip in that front according to the radar. Slim chance of it petering out by the time it reaches here.
    4) You can be sure that this forum would be going mental if these conditions were showing at sea level!

I wonder if the arriving front will rise the temperatures though??

Will be an interesting next few hours!!

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Fursey

Hi Folks

19.16 hours

West Dublin calling - zilch so far...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

arctictree wrote: »
    Yes, this could be very interesting. Temp here has dropped to 2.8c and DP is -3.3c. Some points:

1) Another drop of 1c and we are in serious snow territory.
    2) This front is arriving at exactly the right time, unlike last Monday where the snow was forecast around midday and temps here were around 4.5c
    3) There is some serious precip in that front according to the radar. Slim chance of it petering out by the time it reaches here.
    4) You can be sure that this forum would be going mental if these conditions were showing at sea level!

A

Yep, it would be heading for meltdown for sure!
    I was just checking out some dewpoint charts from the 12z and I reckon we probably will see snow, but will be pretty shortlived as dewpoints are set to rise about 4 degrees in the precip. I'd guess we could have about 1 hour of pretty much whiteout conditions , which will be fun if it happens :)

Around 22:00'ish should be when the games commence on the east coast .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

My dp has dropped to -0.5 since 7. Temp is 5C. That should be enough for snow shouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

A
    When the wind picks up soon, the temps and Dp(more dp) should rise before the rain arrives. It might be just on borderline if it falls as wet snow for you up there.Keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Damomanye wrote: »
    i remember it (Phenomenal) being mentioned in early December during the last event like this. December 6th was it?. That event was declared a storm in a tea cup.

Yeah i remember the last hyped up storm in here and exactly as you said turned out to be a storm in a tea cup. So i'm not getting too excited about this storm yet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Snowbie wrote: »
    When the wind picks up soon, the temps and Dp(more dp) should rise before the rain arrives. It might be just on borderline if it falls as wet snow for you up there.Keep us posted.

Yes - up to 3.1c here now! Damn - Dew point now -0.6c !!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

tis getting fairly windy here in galway (we're on the coast). hope the power stays!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

some heavier stuff starting to appear off the west coast http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

getting a bit gusty now here too. Heavy rain on the doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

Simple question really. What conditions do we need here in Dublin for transitional snow? My temp is 4.9C and dp is -1.1 at the moment. I think that'd be enough but I'd expect the temps and dp to rise a few degrees once the rain arrives. If conditions stayed as they are now we'd get snow for a while wouldn't we?

Still getting a strong wind from the E, at most ESE. Moderate rain now, quite gusty (25-30 at a guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ch750536 wrote: »
    Still getting a strong wind from the E, at most ESE. Moderate rain now, quite gusty (25-30 at a guess)

The wind will be S perhaps SE before the cold front pushes through alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Funny listening to the radio news the past couple of hours, INN or whoever does it. At 7pm they had a story about a 'severe storm' and the 'worst storm of the winter' was to develop over the next couple of hours with gusts up to 90mph!

Now, on the 8pm news it was just a 'severe storm' with gusts of up to 70mph :rolleyes:

Given that trend I reckon it'll be down to 30mph by midnight and I'll have to get out my 'storm in a teacup' picture tomorrow :p

• Advertisement

Deserves keeping for prosperity.

1930RainRadar.png

http://www.eyeball-surfcheck.co.uk/westwardho-live.shtml
    Hope they don't leave their cars their overnight!

Yes - up to 3.1c here now! Damn - Dew point now -0.6c !!
    To be honest I had my doubts about snow in Roundwood or annamoe.
    Dewpoints here at sea level to your south never got below freezing at all.
    Allied to that,the wind is sout or southeast as the precip approaches which will lift your dp and air temp further.

It will be interesting(understatement) at the top of lugnaquilla though-but being up there at midnight tonight would be wrecklessness to the nth degree.
    squonk wrote:
    My temp is 4.9C and dp is -1.1
    From experience-not a hope of snow for you I'd say.That dp will continue to rise but worse,your surface air feed will be in off the sea initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

amazing really..... we've had no weather in kerry for years , and since i stumbled on this forum we've had weather almost every week ,:D just booked tomorrow off as a sickie (cough splutter )

well the batteries are charged , the camera's are ready to roll , where's the best place to capture this beast , beach or mountain........any suggestions .

(and no , i will not go jump in a lake)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

kerry1960 wrote: »
    amazing really..... we've had no weather in kerry for years , and since i stumbled on this forum we've had weather almost every week ,:D just booked tomorrow off as a sickie (cough splutter )

well the batteries are charged , the camera's are ready to roll , where's the best place to capture this beast , beach or mountain........any suggestions .

(and no , i will not go jump in a lake)

It could be dangerous out there but if I was there(wish I could be:() I'd head for the beach, or somewhere safe with a view of the beach or coastline. The waves down there tomorrow are going to be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i live on hanover quay in dublin, how fun will the next 72 hours be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Dew point of minus 2 and a tempeture of 5c. What are the chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Here in Clare, wind has picked up considerably gusting 27mph, temp 5.7, dew point of -5, pressure dropping off to 976mb (dropped 5 in the last hour). No rain yet!!

Reg

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

slayer91 wrote: »
    Here in Clare, wind has picked up considerably gusting 27mph, temp 5.7, dew point of -5, pressure dropping off to 976mb (dropped 5 in the last hour). No rain yet!!

Reg

Liam

We could very well get snow out of this

• Advertisement

Kippure wrote: »
    We could very well get snow out of this

lets say it does! Lets say we get LOADS! Would it stick and would we be able to get out and enjoy it with the wind over the next few days?!
    Wind is really picking up here! In West Dublin atm. I have a pressure of 978 - I just calibrated it! Im near Lucan would this be correct ?Anyone nearby to confirm?

Advertisement