Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow (showers and longer spells) Sunday evening - Tuesday morning, possibly longer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yep, but it looks like the west will get a fair dumping of snow in early hours and through tomorrow!;)

Okay i've seen enough, we now must up the anti:D

Ramp mode will set in.

I am beginning to suspect this could be some event!!

500hpa temperatures are going to be the lowest i think i have ever experienced over Ireland, down to -42c/43c, this will only aid the development of this polar origin secondary low preessure.

Tonight snow showers are going to really pack into the west and northwest and readily fall as snow.

Overnight and through tomorrow snow will ly in the west and pack up through the day with drifting and disruption, more organised snow will arrive in the west with strong westerly winds veering northwesterly. The snow will spread east during the day with nationwide snowfall. Dewpoints look marginal in the south of the country but for areas north of say....... Kildare they look good, 0/-1c.

The low crosses the country dropping widespread accums of 5cm's, then as the low heads into the Irish sea it will invigorate slightly and push a band of snow showers into the east coast from tomorrow evening.

Reminds me alot of the Feb 27th event, the synoptics are very similar. Granted the conditions provided a better base for a longterm cold spell.

Feb27th

Rrea00120010226.gif

Tomorrow

Rtavn241.png

850hpa temps were broadly similar between -6/-8c

whats the best and worst case scenarios for snow lovers !
    Whats the longest this will last? Tuesday is looking like nearly 10C on some forecasts :(

Dunno if the synoptics are as similar as you'd like them.
    Look at that feed around the high.
    Theres a lot of mid atlantic air (some of which originated in the carribean) flowing up around the west of that high and entering the NW flow.

In the 2001 chart you show,that flow is cut off due to the highs position being mid atlantic and ridging to greenland.
    2001 had an un mixed flow.
    Tomorrow has a contaminated warm cold mix unfortunately which will be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Weathercheck - I was waiting for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Woot, sleet shower in malin head already;http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    EDIT: Netweather precip-type radar is showing a good few of the showers in the west and nw as snow now but I'd say that's pretty wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Yeah who doesnt remember that Matty.
    It was during the foot and mouth crisis.
    It snowed all day down here from morning to night.We used have to put disinfectant on the mats at the front of the drive and were wondering what was the point as you couldnt see the mat...

you're not going to have a repeat of that tomorrow though I think.

I remember that February, but all I remember here in Carlow is some bitterly cold days, overcast, murky, freezing fog, sub zero temps and not a flake of snow to be seen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The conditions for this are a lot less ideal than they were for 27/2/01, at least for where I live.

Even in the west, I still only expect at most 2 inches in areas below 100m asl.

These polar maritime airmasses which have been tampered with will always have sections of warmer atlantic air, and while that's good for convection, when that convection is mainly coming from the west, it's usually more rainy than snowy.

I think Met Eireann have called this correctly. Just because they have a habit of underestimating, doesn't mean that the current trends of this event should be interpreted optimistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The likes of Smashy up in Donegal could do well out of this, uk met going for up to 10cm of snow in the northwest - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Met Office alert now issued for much of NI for tonight:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Dunno if the synoptics are as similar as you'd like them.
    Look at that feed around the high.
    Theres a lot of mid atlantic air (some of which originated in the carribean) flowing up around the west of that high and entering the NW flow.
    On a positive note also aiding in convection then. Showers could be a lot heavier.On the downside it will have an affect on DPs. Mixed air would have a slightly more increased in DP temps, which basically means showers turning wintry as cold air is dragged down. Crappy really.
    In the 2001 chart you show,that flow is cut off due to the highs position being mid atlantic and ridging to greenland.
    2001 had an un mixed flow.
    Why the PL formation to our north in very favourable conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Good to see that the heavy showers are already making the East coast. Have just come back through a very heavy one in Kilmacanogue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So its a go then?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Already snow falling in donegal according to my landlady. Will be in the north west tomorrow. Should be good crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Snow shower now being reported in malin head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone see the weather forecast after the News? Forecast for snow countrywide tomorrow.

Anyone see the weather forecast after the News? Forecast for snow countrywide tomorrow.

We all could see a few snow showers , better in the west but not nesscessarly.

So much talk of "Polar Low" from Irish Met and the Beeb:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

The whole western horizon has now gone black here in north Galway. Very strange light over the landscape. As I write hail has just begun. Temp falling big time now 3.3c.

Edit. Big gusts just started!!! :)

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    The whole western horizon has now gone black here in north Galway. Very strange light over the landscape. As I write hail has just begun. Temp falling big time now 3.3c.

Edit. Big gusts just started!!! :)

Class stuff mate.

• Advertisement

Kippure wrote: »
    Class stuff mate.

Even more class now, snow mixed in with the rain!! but see a clearence to the west again. 2.9c.

For Gods sake people - charge your batteries and have your digital cameras and camcorders at the ready :D

:D:D::D

Eagle just mentioned Polar Low on the forecast just there.:confused:
    He was the one also done the forecast for the PL in 2001 too.

BBC rain graph up grading snow potential for Ireland tomorrow noon.
    uk_rain_08030312.jpg

Hoping for further upgrades...:)

Edit. Not sure I like that blob of rain over me while everywhre is snow, but ah well.

Looks like the snow blobs are over higher elevations from that map

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Was I dreaming or did Met Eireann say 'drifts' where possible during this snow period.

Sleet more widespread in the west now. Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Saw this posted in TWO - http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=homepage
    Just look at those showers packing in to the northwest, ohh to be in Donegal tonight!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote: »
    Saw this posted in TWO - http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=homepage
    Just look at those showers packing in to the northwest, ohh to be in Donegal tonight!

Thats a pretty impressive polar low. Look at the close up of it, Immense showers going to pack in. Think the whole country is in for a real pasting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

hmmmm this looks very interesting for ireland, look at that eye to the north west of our country starting to feed in showers:D:D Donegal/Sligo/Leitrim look as if they're going to be the first to feed on the snow fest, but much of Ireland should follow cause I can't really see those showers dying out-they're bloody slamming into the north western coast like i don't know wht;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement