Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Nearly everyone in my year was straight out of school. They actually rather taking on fresh people who haven't worked in the industry before so as they can be completely trained by the ESB and not have any bad habits from other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

M cebee wrote: »
    it's not always a plus-previous experience
    if you have picked up a lot of bad habits

some guys can't make the tea properly

and go back to work during the 1st morning break

You've obviously not worked there if that's your perception of the place.
    bassey wrote: »
    Nearly everyone in my year was straight out of school. They actually rather taking on fresh people who haven't worked in the industry before so as they can be completely trained by the ESB and not have any bad habits from other places.

I think it's a case of doctors differ-it's all about who the three sitting across from you on the day are.

A year served may not be a plus, as you'll be starting from scratch-but it's not a thing that will go against you either. What someone needs to do in the interview is convey interest, if you have a background, and get that across, that will stand to you-but you'll be starting from scratch anyway so it's all good.

I remember back in the day, I used to repair tellies, a chap who I subsequently got to know very well (now retired), asked me to expand on it. I remember giving a spiel for about twenty minutes on chrominance, luminance, line delay and quadrature modulation. I didn't know what I was talking about myself by the time I was finished, but the point was made that I had a technical interest-which was all they wanted to know.

Interviews have changed now, it's all competency based, but the principles are the same. If I was applying now, and had a background in the trade, however tenuous, I'd play on it in an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

Not everyone but as far as i know, everyone got the option for it. A guy i know said he wasn't interested in the engineering side so i'm not sure if this will affect his chances although we were told at the aptitude that our scores would count towards our overall application!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sean Duffy

Well lads .. Just wondering did any one hear anything back from the esb interviews 2010..?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kevin warren

Did the engineering aptitude after the interviews. Heard nothing yet.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Duffman_2010

Anyone here anything for a medical yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Got email about six to say I didnt get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 walsh120

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Got email about six to say I didnt get through.
    are you serious?? does that mean that we got through if we didnt get email?? sorry if you didnt get it

Sean Duffy wrote: »
    Well lads .. Just wondering did any one hear anything back from the esb interviews 2010..?
    :)
    well.. no i heard nothing yet anyway .. should hear something next week if we get it id say?? will you let me no on this if you get called so ill no if there calling , thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sean Duffy

walsh120 wrote: »
    well.. no i heard nothing yet anyway .. should hear something next week if we get it id say?? will you let me no on this if you get called so ill no if there calling , thanks :)

got an email there firday saying didnt get it .. PISSED :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

does anyone who got e-mail on Friday stating they did not get apprentice job feel annoyed as some people were given chance to sit a second aptitude and marks were added to their overall total. I feel an injustice has been done here and ESB should be notified by as many people as possible who went for interview and were not offered this second aptitude. How do other people feel about this?

Sean Duffy wrote: »
    got an email there firday saying didnt get it .. PISSED :L
    sorry to hear it man:confused: did you do the second aptitude test? did anyone else you know get that email?? any plans for what to do now??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Munster1985

august12 wrote: »
    does anyone who got e-mail on Friday stating they did not get apprentice job feel annoyed as some people were given chance to sit a second aptitude and marks were added to their overall total. I feel an injustice has been done here and ESB should be notified by as many people as possible who went for interview and were not offered this second aptitude. How do other people feel about this?

you were only asked to do the second aptitude test if you stated you wanted to study engineering while completing your apprenticeship. This was an option you could select on the original application for the apprenticeships. i dont think it would have added marks to anyones total it was only to see if someone is suitable for studying at a degree level.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

The Second aptitude test had nothin to do with the 1st one! No matter how u done in it! If u showed an interest in engineering in the interview they offer it to you! but it has nothin to do with the 1st one!

I still didnt hear anything but fingers crossed il hear good news in a few days!

TheBully wrote: »
    The Second aptitude test had nothin to do with the 1st one! No matter how u done in it! If u showed an interest in engineering in the interview they offer it to you! but it has nothin to do with the 1st one!

I still didnt hear anything but fingers crossed il hear good news in a few days!
    ya your right there.. i dont tink dey even look at d second aptitudes results until there deciding in 2years for the engineering ?? i didnt hear anything either, i dont no is that a good thing or what?? what do you think??:confused::confused:

I dunno if its a good thing or bad thing either! Suppose its better than hearing that u didnt get it!
    One of my buddies got the email on friday sayin he didnt get it! wonder how many others got it so far!

Taught they might ring!

I dunno if its a good thing or bad thing either! Suppose its better than hearing that u didnt get it!
    One of my buddies got the email on friday sayin he didnt get it! wonder how many others got it so far!

Taught they might ring!
    ya iv heard of a few dat got dat email :eek: i dont even like chekn d emails no more just in case :P i suppose there just cutting us down, we should be hearing from them now in a day r 2 hopefuly ?? it would be a fair sweet phone call 2get ;)

ya iv heard of a few dat got dat email :eek: i dont even like chekn d emails no more just in case :P i suppose there just cutting us down, we should be hearing from them now in a day r 2 hopefuly ?? it would be a fair sweet phone call 2get ;)

yea would be nice phone call alright, would love to get it .is it stupid to think we have it just because we didnt get the e-mail?

yea would be nice phone call alright, would love to get it .is it stupid to think we have it just because we didnt get the e-mail?
    haha im kinda feeling like dat aswel :rolleyes: i no that wer not guaranteed it yet, but theres a fair chance that we have it jano? :confused: i still dont wana jinx it tho , will u let me no on dis if u hear from dem, r i can give u my email address and u cud email me, and il do d same for u, i dont wana be waitn , if ders no point jano??:)

haha im kinda feeling like dat aswel :rolleyes: i no that wer not guaranteed it yet, but theres a fair chance that we have it jano? :confused: i still dont wana jinx it tho , will u let me no on dis if u hear from dem, r i can give u my email address and u cud email me, and il do d same for u, i dont wana be waitn , if ders no point jano??:)

sent ya a private message there lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Munster1985

Im in the same boat as ye lads still havnt heard anything. youd think if they had narrowed it down friday they would have sent out the email to tell the rest of us to come for the medical on the same day....:confused:

Im in the same boat as ye lads still havnt heard anything. youd think if they had narrowed it down friday they would have sent out the email to tell the rest of us to come for the medical on the same day....:confused:
    ya man, i was tinkn d same, i **** myself evry time i check my emails anyway :p i was sure wed hear sumting 2day, but itl surely be in the next day r 2?:confused:

ya man, i was tinkn d same, i **** myself evry time i check my emails anyway :p i was sure wed hear sumting 2day, but itl surely be in the next day r 2?:confused:
    Has to be in the next day or 2! hopefully we will all be down in tullamore come september!!

Has to be in the next day or 2! hopefully we will all be down in tullamore come september!!
    hopefuly anyway man :D i sent u private msg der ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Just out of interest guys - when you went for interview were you interviewed by 2 guys or the other pair?

theg81der wrote: »
    Just out of interest guys - when you went for interview were you interviewed by 2 guys or the other pair?
    i was interviewd by d man and woman :) they were grand, u?? did u hear wnyting back yet?

i was interviewd by d man and woman :) they were grand, u?? did u hear wnyting back yet?

i had a man and a woman, Up in dublin! They were sound!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hello walsh120.

Please read the fourm charter and give the English language the best shot you can. Perfect is a difficult place to get to but posts written in the style of text messages make for poor reading. Thank you. Best of luck with the job application.

Regards

Stoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

If it's any help to yis when I got offered the contract it was the morning of the Leaving Cert results, just to give a time frame for when ya can expect it if ya get through the medical alright.

• Advertisement

gipo2 wrote: »
    4500 applied.
    About 1000 went forward to aptitude tests
    About 500 go forward for interview on last week of june, first two weeks of July.
    someone i no in the esb said they got over 40000 applications :eek:

Advertisement