Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Ehh I did mine in the ESB in Lwr. Fitzwilliam street, Dublin. You?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

yea i done mine there too, wasn't bad other than the mechanical comprehension part!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kapb77

anybody on this thread heard from esb about the interviews yet?

Nothing yet but late May is what they said as far as i know. Maybe give it another week and then ring them if nothing comes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Anybody hear anything yet?

• Advertisement

Nothing here anyway, can't be much longer to wait though, interviews are supposed to be at the end of the month...

I rang them up yesterday and HR told me that they will be letting everyone know in the 3rd week of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kapb77

thanks for posting this info rockagusroll. much obliged to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Got letter this morining to go for interview on 9th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Got my letter there for the 22nd July :):)

Delighted.

• Advertisement

Got mine for the 2nd July in Portlaoise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Johnlad10

I also got my interview but i was wondering does any1 know. That when u are finished the apprenticeship is it the same qualification as every other electrician??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Johnlad10 wrote: »
    I also got my interview but i was wondering does any1 know. That when u are finished the apprenticeship is it the same qualification as every other electrician??

Yes, you do the same courses and exams in Fás/college as every other training electrician. You will also other things that are just esb related like, pole climbing, working with higher voltages etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Johnlad10

Does any1 know what will be asked in the interview??

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Same crap as at any interview really, what do you know about the company, when have you been part of a team, when have you been in a situation that you could have handled better, what made you wanna be an electrician, oh and how do you wire a plug.

Just go on about team work and safety, if you've ever been on a construction site before go on about all the safety aspects of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tcrolwey

hi, can anyone let me know what was asked after the interviews on July 2nd have taken place please have mine later in July and am keen to find out what the likely questions are.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Outburst

THE MONEY:

I started when there was an agreement that gave us 360 per week for the first 3 yrs, then 550 per week in 4th yr. It is now the standard industrial wage. whatever that is 200 or something per week. But if u work outside dub, u get Eating on site allowance... which is at least another 50 euro... inside dublin, they pay bus fares... about 30 per week or something. When u go to fas in phase 2 4 and 6, they give u an extra 200 per week. (called subsistance) ((Was great for me in phase 6.. 800 per week! :) )). Theres also 50% off ESB bill and some other stuff, like free clother and tools etc.

For the interview, wear a suit and bring ur qualifications. Preach safety and team work. And i guarantee u will get in... I'm an expert at interviews, I turned down a job for the fire brigade.

Any more questions, pm me or email or whatever u do on this thing!

Hey Spark,

Not sure if I'm reading this right - for starting off is it 200 a week they are paying?

Thanks!

Your basic pay will be about 190 a week

Thanks for the reply Bassey

Do you know when it would go up (and by how much) and if I would be stationed in dublin for the whole apprenticeship?

Much appreciated!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It would go up every 12 months, roughly €80-€100. So if you start in sept 2010, it will be each sept after that.

You could be sent anywhere, their is depots all over the country.

• Advertisement

Thanks Davy

As Davy says it goes up every year roughly it's this

1st year - 9900
    2nd year - 16000
    3rd year - 21000
    4th year - 24000

Those are rough figures.

There are 4 depots in Dublin, you'll most likely be based in one of these, but depending on which section you're working in you could be sent anywhere.

Pretty slim pickings at first. If I get the job can anyone tell me where you can buy rice wholesale : )

Hold on! Is it true that the ESB is taking on 100 apprentices, but will only keep 20 of them? So even if I get the interview I'm not guaranteed work?

I seriously hope it's not at the end of 4 years you find out...

Can someone help?

You seriously expect them to take on 100 full time techincians at the end of every 4 years? Get real, no company keeps on all their apprentices when they qualify. You're guaranteed a 4 year apprenticeship with the best company in country for serving your time with, provided you pass your exams.

And yes it's not much money at first, how much money would you make in your first year of college? And also the opportunity to go on to do electrical engineering and get money for it is incredible.

At the end of your time you go for another interview to try and get kept on and if you've shown good ability, done well in your exams and have a good personality you may just get kept on.

Thanks for helping me to 'get real' dude. Far out!

And for the 80% who don't get kept on? Is their training of any use outside the promised land?

Outburst wrote: »
    And for the 80% who don't get kept on? Is their training of any use outside the promised land?

You are trained as an electrician in fas and college. You do all the same exams and tests as a apprentice electrician in any other company, so you should know what do to. Being as quick as other with conduit and the likes is up to you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 alaun

Have just been called for interview - does anyone know how many they are interviewing or how many they are taking on. Any idea of what the interviews are like.

I've my interview on friday so i'll post on here afterwards and let you's know the crack!

• Advertisement

To whoever's interested...Had my interview today. Was in a room with 2 people, both nice. It was a pretty straight forward interview but just pay attention to the points it says on the letter we received. Best of luck to everyone.

Advertisement