Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

In Sligo, got letter Monday week last for test on Saturday in ESB HQ Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

ah balls there goes my hope ! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ash10

had mine 2day in DIT......only girl in the entire hall......about 100 lads den me!!! talk about awkward!!

What was test like? How long did it last?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

is this for 1st yr apprentices or are they taking on apprentices out of work?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

aflib wrote: »
    is this for 1st yr apprentices or are they taking on apprentices out of work?

You have to start as a first year regardless of some training or not. A qualified sparks wouldn't be experience with esb's networks so it wouldn't make sense

Davy wrote: »
    You have to start as a first year regardless of some training or not. A qualified sparks wouldn't be experience with esb's networks so it wouldn't make sense

funny you sholud say that as i know of 2 lads that were layed off just as they were going into thier 2nd yr and got a job with the esb

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

aflib wrote: »
    funny you should say that as i know of 2 lads that were layed off just as they were going into thier 2nd yr and got a job with the esb

Well they either started again as a first year, and would have to do phase 2 again, or they were taken on temporarily as part of the fas scheme with esb to help people finish their apprenticeship. This was people on phase 5 and 7.

Well they either started again as a first year, and would have to do phase 2 again, or they were taken on temporarily as part of the fas scheme with esb to help people finish their apprenticeship. This was people on phase 5 and 7.

ahh i see.are the esb still doing that with apprentices in phase 5 and 7

Im not sure, it hasn't been mentioned on here in awhile. To get to do it, you have to go through fás. You have to be on the list that your not in work.

• Advertisement

Im not sure, it hasn't been mentioned on here in awhile. To get to do it, you have to go through fás. You have to be on the list that your not in work.

oh im on that list a long time.ha.

Test started at like half 9 and we were finished about 11.10 . . . . .its just the verbal one, picking the right words and stuff then the maths kinda one then the mechanical one and the visual one where ya have to estimate which two objects are the same. Just tests 1-4 as it said in the letters that came in the post

4500 applied.
    About 1000 went forward to aptitude tests
    About 500 go forward for interview on last week of june, first two weeks of July.

gipo2 wrote: »
    4500 applied.
    About 1000 went forward to aptitude tests
    About 500 go forward for interview on last week of june, first two weeks of July.

I thought more would have applied. Doesn't that number normally apply each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

That's just the amount of applications they actually look at, regardless of how many apply. That's what I was told anyway

Thats from the horses mouth at the tests on saturday.

lol were u the dude that asked how many applied!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

Gipo: So they actually cut down the number of applications to 1000 for aptitudes?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deano_rich

mozil wrote: »
    Well got through the aptitude tests and got an interview now for july also have one for the DAA. But still woundering is the training you get with the ESB alot different to what you would get in the private sector. Meaning if I did serve my time with the ESB, and then went into the private sector would it be all totally new to me or does what you do in the off the job phases cover everything?

Hi Can you tell me where you apply for an apprenticeship in the DAA?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Where will the degree be held and will we be paid during that time.
    I was in DIT Kevin Street talking to staff during the week. They told me that the ESB had block booked places on to 2 electrical engineering degree courses there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I think that's the norm :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think that's the norm
    No, not for either of these two courses for well over 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Really? Interesting move from the training gurus in ESB, in that case!

RoundyMooney
    Really? Interesting move from the training gurus in ESB, in that case!
    Yes. PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 forureyesonly

deano_rich wrote: »
    Hi Can you tell me where you apply for an apprenticeship in the DAA?

Hey if you find out anything about this apprenticeship will you please let me know, as im in search of an apprenticeship and would love to work in the airport.
    Does anyone know what they do up there? I know its a huge place and effectively its a small town but do the electricians look after everything or would it just mainly be runways. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tommyperkins17

Great company to work for,look after you really well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tommyperkins17

When we get our offers this week, will we be told who has been chosen to do the engineering degree in two years time? Where will the degree be held and will we be paid during that time. Will the college fees be paid by ESB?
    You won't find out till you've done some exams and they see how you're progressing.Also but not the decider are leaving results.Fees are paid and you get some sort of income but not sure of the scale of the salary.Great opportunity if you're young/only leaving school.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

Hey all! Anyone heard anything since the aptitude tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Nope, not yet. They said mid May didn't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

Yup as far as i know... Just makin sure! where'd you do your aptitude?

Advertisement