Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Lucyfur I couldn't find concrete info online about whether it was safe to continue it after ovulation.
    I think to err on the side of caution they say you're better off not to take it after ovulation.

That said, I did take it up til I confirmed my positive with my gp. He told me to stop taking it then, but that's only because they don't recommend taking anything other than folic acid when pregnant.
    Best of luck with it :)

Detectiv, sorry you're out this month also :( With the meds you're going on, I'd definitely check with your Doc to see if the Maca is safe to take with it.
    They call Maca 'Natures Clomid' on some of the American ttc sites, so I'd be worried you could end up with over stimulation or other issues.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Baby 74, Grawns, Lucyfur, Detective
    So sorry to hear you guys are back to CD1 :(. hopefully this cycle is the lucky one for you all..and you are synchronising.... yis might all end up with the same due date! wouldnt that be something? :D

Detective, what was the IVF seminar like? If you are on clomid still, then you shouldnt take the maca. If not, you are waiting till Thursday to find out what drugs you are on? best wait and google the brand name +maca.

Lucyfur, tell him he will be as horny as he was when he was a teenager, he will soon chomp them down. Though my fella had to take them in the morning instead of evening because he was too awake going to bed. Of course he started them after I ovulated last month :rolleyes:

Iguana, one of my nurses told me that the twinges in the ovaries are pre-ovulation pains (had them the day before my scan and was worried I ovulated too) that it was the follicles stretching that caused the pain.. but when she scanned me, we did the trigger shot and 36 hrs later I ovulated . But without the trigger it would have been a day or two after the pains that I ovulated. No harm having a shag anyway if he is up to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Cheers Cap...:)

Am having a google, some sites say it's great for keeping progesterone levels up...other sites say there's not enough research done on its use during pregnancy...one site says it's perfectly safe as it's a food, not a chemical. Tis confusing....

Neyite, he's as horny as a teenager anyway hahahaa:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I take a low dose (3 caps a day) of it all month. I'll drop lower if I get a positive. There have been very few studies on whether it is safe to take during pregnancy or not, so you might find people telling you to err on the side of caution and avoid it. It's relatively common to eat it throughout pregnancy in the Peruvian region and is associated with reduced occurrence of miscarriage and higher birth weights. It also keeps progesterone levels high which could be of benefit for people who have a history of miscarriage as low progesterone levels are a common cause of pregnancy loss.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/269730/the_side_effects_of_maca_root_during.html

http://thehealthybelly.com/nutrition_101.php?article_id=274&sub_tab_id=53

http://www.totalityofbeing.com/FramelessPages/Articles/IncFertility.htm

http://healthybellyessentials.com/importance_supplementation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Neyite wrote: »

Detective, what was the IVF seminar like? If you are on clomid still, then you shouldnt take the maca. If not, you are waiting till Thursday to find out what drugs you are on? best wait and google the brand name +maca.

ah it was grand. He gave a couple of speeches, went through a lot of data and stats on Powerpoint, then a dvd. None of it was news to me really, but the OH found it interesting. You have to attend this seminar before you can consent to IVF.
    There was a piece at the start about confidentiality (I'm sure they do it at the start of every seminar), at this session it turned out that 2 neighbouring couples were both there!
    I think I'll hold off on the maca, don't want to overload my body as the stims could be potent.
    How are you feeling? Any symptoms yet?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ah it was grand. He gave a couple of speeches, went through a lot of data and stats on Powerpoint, then a dvd. None of it was news to me really, but the OH found it interesting. You have to attend this seminar before you can consent to IVF.
    There was a piece at the start about confidentiality (I'm sure they do it at the start of every seminar), at this session it turned out that 2 neighbouring couples were both there!
    I think I'll hold off on the maca, don't want to overload my body as the stims could be potent.
    How are you feeling? Any symptoms yet?

Sounds interesting, but you are one of the most knowledgable people I know when it comes to TTC I daresay you could give the seminar :pac:.

We met people we knew too, in the clinic. One was a girl from my fellas home town and he went to school with her, and the other was a nurse in the clinic that was in my class. The latter was all friendly and chatty the former, I think they kind of did the "eh...howeyh" embarassed nod. :D

No symptoms that I could put my finger on and say "thats a pregnancy symptom" but I am quite tired - I sleep great as far as I know, but am yawning far more than my usual dopey self at work. I had a nap after work which was nice. Little twinges in my belly, but not sore, just there. Sore boobs, but had those pre pregnancy and pre Parlodel so I'm used to that, and while I'm not nauseous, I'm hungry at times I shouldnt be and not hungry when its mealtimes :confused:. I dont feel pregnant, I just feel slightly off my game, as if I'm not sure if I'm coming down with something or not, strange really and all new and not a little bit terrifying :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Joanie37

Hi New to this.. I have been trying to concieve now with over a year and im so frustrated. I was put on clomid for 1 month and this stopped me ovulating altogether so they have now put me on menopur. Im on day 10 today went in for a scan and was told foliciles are not big enough so I have to go back on Thursday........Any one else with any simular stories Im so upset and it seems that Im so caught up on taking injections that Im forgetting about the sex bit:eek: which is kind of important.

Im so mean to my other half it feels like he doesnt understand when in fact he is so good..... How can I get myself out of this bad mood I seem tobe constantly in

Joanie37 wrote: »
    How can I get myself out of this bad mood I seem tobe constantly in

Vent here :D.

Welcome Joanie! :) I posted a longer reply on your other thread for ya. :)

I just seem to be so angry and I cant talk to anyone. I go up home to see my sister and all I ever hear out of her is Well you dont like kids anyway so I havent bothered telling her what im doing so it feels I have no one to talk to. My sister and one of my sister in laws keep going on about my hatred of kids They think there funny but its me they get when they need someone to look after theirs....... The other half goes mad and says I shouldnt help them out... I just feel so alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi Joanie, you shouldn't go through this journey alone. We are all here and so is your hubbie, and of course you are angry. It's the most natural thing in the world to get pregnant but for some reason those of us on here find it a lot harder.
    When I see kids not being minded properly, or hear of them being abused, or left with adicts I want to scream.
    Your sisters and sister in laws don't know what's happening and they are assuming you don't want them, or are delaying starting to try. Perhaps the next time they make a smart remark maybe have a smart alec answer prepared like "well some of us don't fall at the first sight of a willy" or "my sex life is my business, but if you want to tell me about yours go right ahead" It might just shut them up, but also make them see how insensitive them are being. Of course only you know if they would be supportive or not.
    I made the decision not to hide our journey from our friends and my family, he chose to limit what we tell his. I believe that life comes in all shapes and sizes and this is mine. I shouldn't be judged for it. In fairness to say they are all supportive is an understatement.
    Big big hugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Joanie37 wrote: »
    I just seem to be so angry and I cant talk to anyone. I go up home to see my sister and all I ever hear out of her is Well you dont like kids anyway so I havent bothered telling her what im doing so it feels I have no one to talk to. My sister and one of my sister in laws keep going on about my hatred of kids They think there funny but its me they get when they need someone to look after theirs....... The other half goes mad and says I shouldnt help them out... I just feel so alone

Wagons!

You should def start hanging out in this thread, I find it great, very very positive but also a great place to vent all the stuff you pent up.

Thanks its great to know im not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Joanie, take what they say with a pinch of salt cos they mightn`t know all the facts. The ladies on here have been fantastic and even writing a post helps.
    My own 2 sisters seems to think it would`ve been sacrilege if I had a girl cos I`m not a girly girl. I`d take any amount of pink princess dresses any day! Family eh!
    As for myself and my week so far sun mon tues and this morning`s HPT all negative. I`m in good form while I have some hope!
    I`m well aware though that I`m half setting myself up for a let down but feck it we`re nearly all sychronised on here....:rolleyes:

Joanie,

We have all vented here about some insensitive ass that has said something hurtful. My eldest sister was terrible for banging on about my dying ovaries :rolleyes:. On my 35th birthday she said "happy birthday, you do know your fertility is halved now, dont you?" Way to go sis!

Then she has the rather sneaky habit of telling the mother stuff (like "advice" above) because she knows the mother will talk to me about it, and give her the feedback. If she asked me directly she knows she would be told to mind her own business, but I cant get cheeky or angry with the mother and she uses that to her advantage.

I plan to have her be the very last family member to hear my good news. Just because I know it will wreck her head. :p

I have been 'given out' to about providing cousins, being told I'm lazy and selfish, that 'I better get a move on' you name it. Been told that I'm too old and too irresponsible. I could go on.

Well if I say anything about kids and mind you I work with them but Im told what would you know..... its so frustrating. She thinks shes the only one that has problems. I didnt ring her for her anivesary and she hasnt spoken to me in 3 weeks.....:D
    Well thats what you get from her and thats her biggest worry...
    Well I did a ovulation test this morning and it seems Im ovulating so Im back in for internal scan tomorrow so fingers crossed they give me the other injection....
    I still have the injection that comes with the clomid in my fridge ...what a waste..
    The menopur is over the 120 euro so its very expensive compared to the clomid so lets hope it worked. I talked to my partner this morning and said how sorry I am.....Would you believe I told him last night his sperm were probarly overweight and couldn't make it to the egg:eek:.... Jeez Christ I don't know how he disn't beat me or kick me out...... Ya went totally mad considering his sperm is fine and we have unexplained fertility.........
    What am I like

Cheered myself up today by buying a ClearBlue Fertility Monitor. I figure I've probably upped my chances of being pregnant after all as sod's law dictates that if you spend €72 on a conception aid during the two week wait it will be a waste of money as you are already pregnant!;) And if sod's law doesn't work out for me at least I have a new toy for next month.

I also bought more powdered maca as my husband felt it was more effective for him than the capsules and I ordered a kilo of Black Maca from America as that's supposed to be even better for sperm. Going to hit the ground running come cycle day 6.:D

Iguana where do you get Maca as we want to try next month if we're not there this month. On two week wait too, but we're not obsessing this month as have first appointment with Miscarriage Clinic next Wednesday. By the way does anyone know whether it's usual for hubbie to come to this too, as we're unsure.

Joanie 37 time to make a big effort for your hubbie to make-up. This puts a strain on all our relationships, and the hormones make us crazy, but we need our hubbies for their love and support and for us to love and support them.
    The boys are rarely as vocal as the girls but they can feel this just as much and cross words can really hurt.
    As to your sister she sounds dreadfully immature or jealous or both. Don't allow her to get you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Hey girls, regular reader of thus thread but don't contribute but this has really rattled my cage today!

I cannot get my head around how other people including in joanies case can be so cruel and inconsiderate whether they are aware or not of your difficulties ttc. Honestly, I thought people had moved on and become much more sensitive!

Grr :mad:

First time around I got it in Nourish on Wicklow St and today I got it in Nature's Way in Tallaght. It's a bit odd as Holland and Barrett don't seem to stock it, but Nature's Way - which belongs to Holland and Barrett, do. The stuff in Nature's Way is cheaper for a bigger pouch. €10.57 for 300g.

Sorry sittingpretty they are just the same as they ever were.

I do think that the whole fertility issue is kept so private many don't know how wide spread it is, so assumptions are made, off the cuff comments made etc. I don't see myself as less of a woman because we have issues, or someone needing pity. It's not something I hide but also not something I advertise. It doesn't define who I am. I'm not embarrassed and I think that being open in the right environment helps socienty as a whole understand the issues and supports others when they encounter them.

My aunt have issues in the 60's and 70's and it was never hidden in the family, we all knew how special our cousin was because they had her after 15 years of trying. My grandmother has issues until her appendix was removed, as it has attached itself to her womb. My aunt and mum had miscarriages, another aunt post natal depression. Perhaps it is growing up knowing it is not easy for everyone that has me this way.

Then the other side of the coin is once they do become aware, every set ot twins is questioned as to whether they are clomid twins, obviously not to there faces. I even find myself thinking that.

People comment to comment. Are interested for no reason. People are people. Unfortunately some are nasty.

• Advertisement

Joanie, Barbiegirl is spot on about our menfolk.

Mine was so upbeat and positive and always gave the 'next month is our month' spiel, and would just hold me when I wanted a good cry but I really didnt know the full extent of his feelings.

But he let slip one night only a few months ago after a good few beers that he felt really sad sometimes and he was only putting up the brave front for me. I had absolutly no idea. He told me he so badly wanted us to have a family that it scared him thinking we might not be able to.

Our TTC failures were hurting him for so long and he just never let on because he worried about my stress levels. All along I was thinking this Pollyanna attitude was him not understanding what I was going through, but he really did understand, and was helping me the only way he could. By being my cheerleader all the way at the expense of his own emotions.

Last weekend when we were trying to get our head around our positive test, he told me that he felt so calm all of a sudden and hadn't realised how the TTC issue is hanging over your head the whole time -only when it was gone he noticed the difference.

Joanie, this weekend, try to put TTC out of the picture if you can and have some couple time - candles, movie, wine, whatever floats your boat. He sounds awesome, and he's got your back. :) ... now your sister on the other hand....:rolleyes:.

The other thing that occured to me, can you get a refund from the pharmacist for the injection? surely if its still sealed or whatever they would take it back.

Barbuegirl, I understand the people will be people point but I would have thought people would be more sensitive.

I mean difficulty ttc is a very real issue for a LOT of couples. I'm 34 and in my own group of friends and their friends there are a handful of people in difficulty. Don't people think before they speak that there just MIGHT be a problem and what seems like a "funny" off the cuff remark can actually really hurt?

Anyways sorry for going off topic, just couldn't not comment.

I understand the hurtful comments and off the cuff remarks. I truely think a lot of people don't know how prevalent it is, some don't think and others are just nasty.

As with everything it's only through education and information that people become aware of the affects of their actions.

I find having a battery of smart comments to shoot back helps as it shows up their comment in the light in which you have taken it. Of course if it's a kindly concerned aunt I'd perhaps gently explain.

Anyways sorry for going off topic, just couldn't not comment.

I don't think there is an off topic on this thread :D Unless you start discussing video games, and your pets poos that is ;)

Im a bit nervous about tomorrow morning and prob wont sleep tonight :( but positive mental attitude im going with......... So hopefully it will be hammer and tongs tomorrow and Friday and I have the weekend off so all good..

Does everyone feel like there cracking up when there waiting?

Welcome Joanie37 and SittingPretty, ye are in good company.;)

Yay for symptoms Neyite! That's how I felt, exactly how you put it - off my game and v tired.
    I have to say, on the IVF front, it's something I've sort of avoided knowing too much about, didn't want it to be real for me, mad I know, but I could be heading down that road now afterall....
    I got my DPS card in the door today thank god, that was a stroke of luck. I'll probably be buying meds tomorrow at the hospital They told me I have to purchase them at Rotunda, maybe they don't sell them in regualr chemists :confused: ). Is there much of a discount when you use the card? Dare I ask - are the drugs free?

Hi
    The DPS card is that you dont pay over 120 euros any month if you are going on a drug it might be worth your while asking the doctor to write you a prescription for 2 months if there expensive. I got caught this month. My menopur was 196 euro but because i had the DPS card I only paid 120 but my doctor only wrote me a prescription for 10 days so when I went back to see if the folicles were big she said I needed more so I had to pay another 120 because I purchased the other ones at the end of last month. It was a real kick in the teeth but this month if I have to get it again if my period (Hopefully Not)comes this month... I will make sure they write me a big enough prescription...Best of luck tomorrow

Welcome Joanie37 and SittingPretty, ye are in good company.;)

Yay for symptoms Neyite! That's how I felt, exactly how you put it - off my game and v tired.
    I have to say, on the IVF front, it's something I've sort of avoided knowing too much about, didn't want it to be real for me, mad I know, but I could be heading down that road now afterall....
    I got my DPS card in the door today thank god, that was a stroke of luck. I'll probably be buying meds tomorrow at the hospital They told me I have to purchase them at Rotunda, maybe they don't sell them in regualr chemists :confused: ). Is there much of a discount when you use the card? Dare I ask - are the drugs free?

Free? Everything baby-related costs a bomb. :( But because of the DPS card I think that its capped at €120. Its a pity that you dont know what drugs they are - you could have a good google about them. You never know, you may not have to do IVF if the jabs work. :)

I like being pregnant. I got the last bag of taytos just now. pulled the :eek: you would deny your own child the last bag of Taytos???:eek: on the OH. All he could do was laugh. As I devoured said Taytos. Hmmm...cant see me getting away with this for long :pac:

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    I like being pregnant. I got the last bag of taytos just now. pulled the :eek: you would deny your own child the last bag of Taytos???:eek: on the OH. All he could do was laugh. As I devoured said Taytos. Hmmm...cant see me getting away with this for long :pac:

The only issue I see with the above is that you're eating Tayto and not King.:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement