Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

hi girls, ive being ttc the past couple of mths now i concived my dd in no time i was surprised actually how quick it happened , i did a test this morning one of those strip tests/like the opk tests, anyway i went away and kinda forgot about it for id say over an hour if even, when i came back there was a faint 2nd line, so did another and left it a little while not even 20mins and another faint line, now however i had period cramps yest today im grand in that dept, boobs are okish so not sure, i think my AF is due on tue, kinda different days since coming off the pill in june...dunno what to be thinking whats ur thoughts? gonna test again in the morning, im not getting exited as i dont think im preg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

So I got the maca yesterday for himself in capsule form. It states 1-6 caps a day so he's going to go with 3. Sound right? How soon til effects kick in (in particular increased libido)?

That's what I was using & found it did the trick. I found it a bit irritating that they don't stipulate on the packaging how much you should take, 1-6 a day is a bit random!

Applesock I have to +1 on having no symptoms til I was 6 weeks gone, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet x fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Play Bunny wrote: »
    hi girls, ive being ttc the past couple of mths now i concived my dd in no time i was surprised actually how quick it happened , i did a test this morning one of those strip tests/like the opk tests, anyway i went away and kinda forgot about it for id say over an hour if even, when i came back there was a faint 2nd line, so did another and left it a little while not even 20mins and another faint line, now however i had period cramps yest today im grand in that dept, boobs are okish so not sure, i think my AF is due on tue, kinda different days since coming off the pill in june...dunno what to be thinking whats ur thoughts? gonna test again in the morning, im not getting exited as i dont think im preg?

Sounds like a positive to me! Congrats!!!!
    To give yourself peace of mind, take your first morning sample, go out & buy yourself a digital pregnancy test (if you don't have one already) as the opk's I found only give a good strong second line if the HCG levels are quite high. Whereas the digital one's go dark even at low levels of hcg.
    I preferred one of the ones that says 'pregnant' or 'not pregnant', no confusion there then!

Best of luck :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Fri.Day wrote: »
    The power or positive thinking eh ladies?
    :p
    So I`ve done a hpt 8 days in a row now and all negative . :o
    Half the time I`m thinking I`ve cramps and my period is on the way, then I`m fully convinced I`m pregnant, but no symptoms at all.
    Last time I was pregnant I gat a BFP at 11 days after ovulation and I`m at 14 days this time and nothing..
    Trying to be practical ain`t working - blind panic more like!!
    I had 2 glasses of wine while out to dinner last night so hopefully ill be regretting those soon...:)
    How do I distract myself or become less obsessive?

I dunno if you can, I couldnt distract myself at all, and when I did get the BFP it just gave me a whole new set of brand new things to obsess about :D. Hopefully its a lucky cycle for you !

A line is a line! I got the cramps too, I was fully convinced AF was on the way, then the test was very faint on the cheapie, so I repeated it with a First Response and definatly a line. Did two Clearblue digital the following mornings and they confirmed it. Congrats.
    Ps. I am currently 22 dpo (5weeks, 2 days pregnant) and still dont feel pregant!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Joanie37 wrote: »
    Guys
    How do ye work out all those dates I had a trigger shot of Menopur on the 8th of September. My next period is due on the 24th of September. What do I do when do I test or when is the date I can test....So confused

You will be 16 days past the trigger on the 24th so its ok to test on your period due date. My nurse said it takes 14 days to clear from your body from when you inject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Ladies, I'm using OPK for the first time this month. Normally I know exactly where I am on my cycle but I think my body has taken a bit of a battering lately as symptoms are all over the place.

Anyway....today is day 7 and I got a faint positive...Is that normal this early? It's a definite line but nowhere near as dark as the control line...

oh girls fingers crossed i know i havent been trying all that long but u know urself when u want it so much and its a no, well i did another one this morn with my first pee, dd decided to get narky /cry so brought her down and got her btl etc went up after 20mins and a faint line, so said feck it ill do another and left it the 10mins and another v.faint line, so we shall see i feel fine cramp wise , boobs dont feel overally sore (keep checking lol), so gonna buy a test /digi 2mrw, unfortunately i dont have one to hand altho the chemist aint to far either but wanna see if flo arrives in the mean time, then again ive no patience either, mite do another test using the stick 2mrw again just to see as the line is faint but it says on the instructions a faint line is a positive now it said dont read after 10mins (found the instructions after my post last nite) so to be sure ill do another in teh morn, god stressful eh:)
    meant to say congrats to the ladies that are preg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

We couldn't find alot of the supplements recommended for men in the local health shop and still want to keep ttc relaxed (that's why we didn't look further afield) so we've been using Spirulina. It says to take 6 per day but we thought this was a bit much so he's taking two and it seems to really be making a difference! Never really got our rhythm back after a stint at long distance a couple of years ago so fingers crossed :).

Thought it would take a while to kick in so hope it doesn't happen until after the honeymoon but we'll be delighted regardless.

Hope everyone else is having good luck and everything else ;)

Congrats Play Bunny:D:D:D:D

A line's a line!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Baby dust to everyone.

What OPK can people recommend?

I haven't been ovulating for nearly a year now despite meds, AF wasnt even coming unless i took provera but.....

I had the HSG scan done 13 days again (i was on cycle day 6 then) but then on Friday AF came - ON HER OWN!!!! so it freaked me out a bit. wasn't expecting it or anything and thought maybe it was just from the scan cos they did internal and that too. but 3 days on and its still here so surely it may be AF???

Does this mean maybe the HSG done something and that there is a possibility that i might start to ovulate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey all

havent posted in ages but i have kept reading and i just wanted to say congrats to all those have got postivies lately esp nevitte you have given me some good advice wit the scan.
    congrats to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

hey all

id taken a break from ttc ive been planning our wedding instead but i have kept reading and i have to say congrats to all esp nevitte well done im so happy for all of you who have got ur positives :D
    good luck to anyone waiting i couldnt keep reading and not pass on my congrats to everyone :D

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Ladies, I'm using OPK for the first time this month. Normally I know exactly where I am on my cycle but I think my body has taken a bit of a battering lately as symptoms are all over the place.

Anyway....today is day 7 and I got a faint positive...Is that normal this early? It's a definite line but nowhere near as dark as the control line...
    Usually they say it has to be as dark if not darker than the control line, but that never happened me. Its possible that you have a strong LH surge that registers lightly a few days earlier. I would take it that you are ovulating and behave accordingly for the next few days ;)
    Nicky987 wrote: »
    Baby dust to everyone.

What OPK can people recommend?

I haven't been ovulating for nearly a year now despite meds, AF wasnt even coming unless i took provera but.....

I had the HSG scan done 13 days again (i was on cycle day 6 then) but then on Friday AF came - ON HER OWN!!!! so it freaked me out a bit. wasn't expecting it or anything and thought maybe it was just from the scan cos they did internal and that too. but 3 days on and its still here so surely it may be AF???

Does this mean maybe the HSG done something and that there is a possibility that i might start to ovulate?
    Congrats on the AF! The HSG can sometimes 'clean' the uterus of minor blockages so might be able to help a wonky cycle back on track. If you are testing a lot, then the best OPK are the cheap ones. Detective Foxtrot posted an ebay link a few pages back on the thread, and they are for pennies. I got mine from Access Diagnostics.co.uk and they were not quite as cheap but still far cheaper than anything in the chemists here.

carlyam2 wrote: »
    hey all

id taken a break from ttc ive been planning our wedding instead but i have kept reading and i have to say congrats to all esp nevitte well done im so happy for all of you who have got ur positives :D
    good luck to anyone waiting i couldnt keep reading and not pass on my congrats to everyone :D

Thankyou. Enjoy the wedding planning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

dublinlady wrote: »
    Good luck mink, it could be that you ovulated twice? Happened to me randomly so you'd never know, best to keep your bases covered anyway as they say ;)

I didn't know that! Maybe I have ovulated twice?

I was doing the tesco brand OPK's from about day 9 and did 7 of them in a row but got mainly lighter lines even on the days that I was supposedly about to ovulate.

Well I have to crack up now waiting til next Mon to see if I get a positive. If not I'll definitely be ordering the bunch of cheap OPK's online so I can track it better.

Bought some baby-gro's the other day for the craic, no harm!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

GDit! I've only gone and gotten my hopes up.:rolleyes:

I swore I wouldn't do it this month, figured I'd missed the window and should just forget about it for the rest of the month in order to avoid disappointment. I was focussing on next month with my chocolates and fertility monitor already for day 1. But somehow over the weekend I've undone all my good work.

I think it started on Saturday morning when my husband tried to tickle me on the stomach and I told him to stop as we didn't know what might be in there. Then we went our for lunch and I ate all my food and quite a bit of his and he was teasing me for being a glutton and I countered that for all we knew I was eating for two.

Then yesterday I was unbelievably hormonal, being all giddy and happy one minute and starting crying the next, so we started getting suspicious that there might be a good reason for it. We were laughing about it while making dinner last night and I said to my husband that he better hope I'm not pregnant because 37 more weeks of my hormonal mood swings would be hell for him. And he looked at me with great big eyes and said, "I don't care." I burst out crying.:o

Symptom wise I have sore boobs since Saturday and vague abdominal cramping since this morning. But last month while I was on a month off I had the exact same feelings by now, day 25. Whenever I mention a symptom to my husband he always says, "is that good or bad?" And I have to explain that it either means I'm pregnant or have pms. What a design flaw.:rolleyes: Roll on the weekend when I can test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Lucyfur I doubt you're ovulating this early. LH is present in the urine at all times, so you will always register a weak positive on an OPK (and maybe a stronger weak positive if your tests are very sensitive or if your urine is very concentrated). It has to be as dark as, if not darker, than the control line. 'Almost' as dark as is a sign that the surge has begun :)
    p.s. I'd still get busy tho :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

I use the cheapies that DFT gave us a link to before but in almost 8months I have NEVER gotten a postive :( I've used the clearblue ones when i was getting my strongest faint line on the cheapies but they were negative too. It's so frustrating. I dont even know if I am ovulating. Was taking Agnus Castus this month so really had high hopes. Am just ppppppeeeeeeeed off right now.

rant over :o

Thanks ladies:) I was hoping a faint line didn't mean a positive as it's far too early to be ovulating.

Newbie, I'm using the cheapies, my days of piddling on a fortune every month are over :rolleyes: I do find I have to dip them for a lot longer than the ten seconds recommended on the pack.

Iguana, everything (well...almost everything;):o) crossed for you!!

Really hoping we all get our positives this month:D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

newbie, its so frustration isnt it??

I went through a stage of weeing on OPK sticks daily but then found out that im not ovulating and with that missing there is no hope for me until they get me going again

Nicky987 wrote: »
    newbie, its so frustration isnt it??

I went through a stage of weeing on OPK sticks daily but then found out that im not ovulating and with that missing there is no hope for me until they get me going again

It's actually so depressing. Got very down this evening about it all. I want is so much right now that I'm afraid to say it out loud as the minute I acknowledge it, I get upset. CD20 now so have idea if i ovulated or not..:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

woke up like a bear with a sore head today beyond narky but passed pretty soon after. could scream at someone ( obviously my OH:D)i was adding up my days etc just trying to see. Anyway said to OH that i was gonna do test today as I'm late would have expected AF the end of the month anyway he was like leave it a few more days after last time, the last time was when my period was on the missing list for three months & i was convinced i was pregnant and when i got a negative it was because i tested to early & then oh wasn't my first pee of today, and then maybe more hormones aren't showing up yet, was crazy really. So gonna hold out for a few more and see :o

Hey applesock, so what cycle day are you actually on now? Do you know what day you ovulated on? I think you have incredible restraint to hold out so long? I'd have emptied Boots off all their tests by now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Marz wishes X

Oooopsy think I replied wrong sorry. Not really sure how to use this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Oooopsy think I replied wrong sorry. Not really sure how to use this.

You actually reported a post instead of replying to it.

Your post was:
    Has anyone ever done ivf?? I had my hsg done in April nd still not preg. So down that I don't know what to do anymore. How much is ivf??

Has anyone ever done ivf?? I had my hsg done in April nd still not preg. So down that I don't know what to do anymore. How much is ivf??

Marz

There are so many other things that they can try beforehand that are far less expensive and have a decent success rate.

I am assuming that if they told you the next 3 months look good, then your HSG gave you promising results that your tubes are not blocked. So thats very good news. My HSG didnt result in a pregnancy either, but there were no obstacles in the tubes.

Now, the blood tests for yourself and your partner – If you were referred for HSG then I take it that they checked your bloods and that you are ovulating ok? If not, get your bloods done by your GP/Surgery nurse. You would need to go in between days 3-7 of your cycle, then also a second draw after you ovulate – usually this is any time after day 21 but before your next period. They also test other hormone levels to ensure that they are as they should be.

They will also check out your partner – he needs a blood test too, and a semen analysis. Bloods can be done by your GP, however the SA needs to be done in the lab. Your GP can advise you on this.

Now, if the bloods show a hormone imbalance, its pretty easy to fix with medication, depending on the problem. If they show that you are not ovulating, or have weak ovulation then you would probably be prescribed Clomid. (wonderful tablet, I was successful on it) Sometimes called Ovulation Induction /Timed Sexual Intercourse (OI/TSI) it means that they stimulate your follicles, give you an injection maybe around day 12 (called the trigger shot) and you are told to go home and “get busy”

They generally try the least expensive, least invasive way of getting you pregnant first. OI for me in Galway cost €300 per cycle, and I got pregnant on my second cycle. If that hadnt worked, I would have moved on to IUI (intra uterine insemination) (€600) which is exactly like the TSI, except instead of going home to concieve naturally, they insert your partners sperm directly into you so it has a better chance of getting to the egg. If this was unsuccessful for a few rounds, they would move you onto IVF.

The only time they would move you onto IVF /ISCI directly skipping the above is if there is an obvious cause - eg poor ovarian reserve, or low sperm count. IVF is roughly about €4000 -€6000 depending on where you go, and whether you go for IVF or ISCI.

hi girls, just want to say it was a positive on my clearblue bought one this morning, so happy :) it says 1-2 so thats 3-4wks?, really happy and im home alone well bar dd who is asleep ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

hi girls, just want to say it was a positive on my clearblue bought one this morning, so happy :) it says 1-2 so thats 3-4wks?, really happy and im home alone well bar dd who is asleep ;)
    WELL DONE AND CONGRATS to you both, bet your in shock !!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Congrats Play Bunny :D

I'm so angry. I had my first appointment today with the Miscarriage clinic in the Coombe for 1.30. I know how it works, a whole go of us given the same appointment and then they call you off. All good, I was early so I bought a paper and sat in for the wait. At 1.45 the nurse came down, lovely woman, and did all the checking of charts etc. and so then we waited, and waited, and waited. The doctor never came. Well she walked by at about 1.50 and then never came back.
    Now I was on my lunch break, an extended one, and I did not tell my boss where I was going, he's an ass and I didn't want him to know as it would only damage an already fragile situation. I knew I had to be back by 3pm. I've often waited for ages in the Early Pregnancy Unit but not minded as there was a doctor getting through things, just under pressure.
    Eventually at 2.35 I had to leave or face the prospect of no job when I got back to the office.
    When pregnant work allows you plenty of time to wait in the hospital 9they have to it's law), the EPU I am very familiar with and having to as I said sometimes wait, and I managed this with work usually with an early lunch break, and getting back then when my boss was on his, so couldn't check exact time. But work doesn't have to give you any leaway for a miscarriage clinic and I just couldn't wait any longer.
    I'm very disappointed as I thought I'd be on the way to getting some answers today :(

Barbiegirl,
    I don’t blame you for being annoyed at that. I think I would be so upset, were you on the waiting list long? Could you ring them and ask for a reschedule? Is there any way that you can do a half day the next time? Its so disappointing knowing you have to wait some more for answers.

I am pretty lucky that I was nearly always able to get 8am appointments for my clinic, so if I was in just after 9 the occasional time it was no big deal. I found that the earlier the appointments were in the day, the more likely they were to be on time – later in the day you have more chance of previous appointments being overran and it has a knock on effect.

Like you, I don’t want work to know anything until I’m basically giving notice of maternity. There have been an awful lot of redundancies and I want to keep my head below the parapet. I have the rarest type of boss ever. She thinks medical stuff should be private, so telling her I have a doctors appointment is sufficient – she only wants to know what work needs to be handed over, and how long for, but even so, I didn’t want to have loads of appointments or they would start to ask why, hence getting up at the crack of dawn to go in before work twice a month for the whole summer and they are none the wiser.

Playbunny!!! Congrats!!!! My clearblue said 2-3 when I tested, but thats only guesstimate based on levels of HCG. Best to go buy Day 1 of your last period. I was actually exactly 4 weeks the day I tested for example. What date did last months period start for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

bunnygirl congrats thats great news.

barbiegirl so sorry to hear about your day.

newbie my last day of calculated ovulation would have been the 17th Aug if that makes sense. Im new to the who charting thing so have been using calculators and obvious signs for ovulation. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement