Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Joanie37

Oh congrats on your good news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

196 euros for the Menopur? ffs!

Ya the Clomid is way cheaper about 44 euros. I nearly had a stroke but thats a small price compaired to IVF.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The only issue I see with the above is that you're eating Tayto and not King.:eek:

Havent had King crisps in ages. Tayto are yum. But then I am a bit of a hoor for crisps, but could take or leave chocolate. Yep. I am wierd. Guarantee that it will be the first thing I go off - tayters.
    Joanie37 wrote: »
    Oh congrats on your good news

Thankyou very much. Only tested on friday so still in awe a bit. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hugs for Joanie :)

I have given up on smiling politely at underhand comments. It's not worth the hurt so I usually ask about their sex life to make myself feel better:)

I have a son who is almost 9. I am constantly told of how lucky I am to have him and what harm if we can't have another. It wrecks my head. I know I'm so lucky to be blessed with my young man but I would very much like him to have a brother or sister. I'm also told, so frequently, that ''at least I know I can get pregnant''. People have NO IDEA how much that one hurts. Yes, it's wonderful that I know I'm ovulating and can get pregnant but the 2 miscarriages and 1 ectopic have taken the ''buzz'' of pregnancy away for me. So no, knowing I can get pregnant does not make the hurt of 3 lost babies go away.

• Advertisement

Lucyfur chin up

I know how that feels and my sympathy goes out to you people just dont think..... hopefully it will happen soon. Positive Mental Attitude ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Husband just reading my bottle of pharmaton this evening and apparently you shouldnt take them if you are trying to get pregnant :eek:

Any idea why? I need the energy to keep up with my sperm meets egg plan :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Neyite wrote: »
    Havent had King crisps in ages. Tayto are yum. But then I am a bit of a hoor for crisps, but could take or leave chocolate. Yep. I am wierd. Guarantee that it will be the first thing I go off - tayters.

My mum is a Tayto fiend but she had to go off them when she was pregnant as the heartburn was unbearable. She swapped them for peanuts and ice-cream (not together).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Joanie, big hugs and a huge welcome, I cannot imagine the stress you are under at the moment.

I have went and dyed my hair and ate my own weight in cream cheese because I am convinced I am not after succeeding this month, so why not. Naturally like Iguana, I will probably get the plus sign in about a week for my sins!

And families can be the worst for stressing you out at this time! I have had more than my share, though it can be funny

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Hugs for Joanie :)
    I have given up on smiling politely at underhand comments. It's not worth the hurt so I usually ask about their sex life to make myself feel better:)

My top comebacks:
    • If I were any more relaxed, I'd be COMATOSE!
    • We already are a family, it just has two people in it.
    • So, when are you planning on minding your own business?
    • ASAP. When are you going to have liposuction/plastic surgery
    • It IS God's will that we have a baby. The bible says: Go forth and multiply.
    and my personal favourite....
    • We had it down to an art years ago. Now it has become a science.
    iguana wrote: »
    My mum is a Tayto fiend but she had to go off them when she was pregnant as the heartburn was unbearable. She swapped them for peanuts and ice-cream (not together).

Nyom...Ice cream....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I like being pregnant. I got the last bag of taytos just now. pulled the :eek: you would deny your own child the last bag of Taytos???:eek: on the OH. All he could do was laugh. As I devoured said Taytos. Hmmm...cant see me getting away with this for long :pac:
    Milk it sister.......for as long as you can :D

Joannie & Neyite, I'm genuinely shocked at how cruel family members can be with the ttc comments:(I hope you're both ok after them and not taking them to heart.
    Some people (women in particular) can be cruel bitches.

A friend had a loss recently. A girl she works with was told about this in her absence so she would know not to put her foot in it when she returned back to work. Cue the girl who had the loss' first day back at work, the other girl kept saying things like 'I'd love to have a baby', 'oh wouldn't it be lovely to be pregnant' :eek::eek::eek:

I would never dream of saying something so hurtful as the comments ye have received, I can't understand the mentality of people that think its ok to say stuff like that too :(

Iguana that's an odd one with H&B/Naturesway & the maca. H&B do it mixed with another supplement & the product name is 'horny goat weed'.
    Must be to make it more appealing to the men!

Joanie & Detectiv fingers crossed for you both with your respective treatments this month. I'm utterly shocked at the price of the treatment :eek:
    Brill advice from Joanie though on getting 2+ months prescription if possible & pay only the DPS max charge.

Lucyfur I also find that comment of 'at least you can get pregnant' particularly irksome. I think it is one of those things people say when they don't know what else to say.
    I also got the 'at least you already have a child' after my miss, but that doesn't take away from the all consuming urge/need to have another child, a sibling for your child and certainly didn't make the fact I'd had a loss any easier.
    Sorry, rant over!

Guys how do I thank someone on here

Guys how do I thank someone on here

I think you need a minimum post count -25 as far as i remember, then you should see a thumbs up button beside the quote buttons on everyones posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

barbiegirl wrote: »
    My aunt have issues in the 60's and 70's and it was never hidden in the family, we all knew how special our cousin was because they had her after 15 years of trying. My grandmother has issues until her appendix was removed, as it has attached itself to her womb. My aunt and mum had miscarriages, another aunt post natal depression. Perhaps it is growing up knowing it is not easy for everyone that has me this way.

It's a good point re our mums, aunts & grannies etc.

My granny was RH O- but when she was having kids in the 30's & 40's, no one had a notion about the blood incompatibility. She had my uncle (who was a different blood type) and then over 12 years had a stillborn nearly every other year as well as miscarriages in between. Finally my dad came along & lo and behold he was RH O- and so she could carry him. She was always nervous around babies later on, I can't even imagine what she went through.

Even my dad was very premature (for the 40's) & she had to send expressed breast milk in bottles on the tram with a neighbour everyday into the Rotunda for 6 mths!

My uncle, who is now 70 odd didn't know any of this until I told him a few weeks ago, it explained so much to him because he must have witnessed a lot of this when he was a little boy.

I'm blessed that there's the anti-d injections to sort this out now as I'm RH O- too!
    Joanie, Barbiegirl is spot on about our menfolk.

Mine was so upbeat and positive and always gave the 'next month is our month' spiel, and would just hold me when I wanted a good cry but I really didnt know the full extent of his feelings.

But he let slip one night only a few months ago after a good few beers that he felt really sad sometimes and he was only putting up the brave front for me. I had absolutly no idea. He told me he so badly wanted us to have a family that it scared him thinking we might not be able to.

Our TTC failures were hurting him for so long and he just never let on because he worried about my stress levels. All along I was thinking this Pollyanna attitude was him not understanding what I was going through, but he really did understand, and was helping me the only way he could. By being my cheerleader all the way at the expense of his own emotions.

Last weekend when we were trying to get our head around our positive test, he told me that he felt so calm all of a sudden and hadn't realised how the TTC issue is hanging over your head the whole time -only when it was gone he noticed the difference.

You've a great man there!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Hey girls I picked up some maca in holland and Barrett in the uk so they do have it. Not for himself as hes like a teenager, its just procreational sex that he finds unsexy. Me too!!! Lots of sad stories here over the last few days. People can be so inconsiderate of others feelings and privacy. Haven't been in that boat myself but I know I have made stupid insensitive comments in the past before I learnt better.

Grawns wrote: »
    Not for himself as hes like a teenager, its just procreational sex that he finds unsexy.

It does improve sperm quantity, motility and health (including the not generally tested for; sperm dna fragmentation, which is a huge cause of infertility and miscarriage) so even if he doesn't need the libido boost it may still be very helpful to him.

:DWell I went in and they said there were folicles 1 big one and loads of small ones so they gave me the injection so hopefully it will work . I did an ovulaton test today that said i was'nt ovulating but did the dirty anyway. Do you think every 2 days is the way to go. Or should I go at it everynight.
    The doctor said if it didnt work this month that they would higher my does of meopur next month and if that does'nt work that my next step is IVF with the sims clinic.
    I was delighted that they gave me the injection today but they kinda put a downer on it when the started talking IVF. But finger crossed that this month will be my month

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

some people can be so insensitive about their comments :mad:

ok so i still haven't tested i just can't bring myself to do it still. Ive been under a lot of stress lately so i reckon this is causing the delay as I've no other sign, boobs still fine. My cycle abit messy, very short cycle last month (25 days) longest was 42 at the beginning of the year so now I'm on 38 days, so thinking il give a couple of extra days, if that makes sense. Plus I'm very hormonal today I'm having my angry day :D

:DWell I went in and they said there were folicles 1 big one and loads of small ones so they gave me the injection so hopefully it will work . I did an ovulaton test today that said i was'nt ovulating but did the dirty anyway. Do you think every 2 days is the way to go. Or should I go at it everynight.
    The doctor said if it didnt work this month that they would higher my does of meopur next month and if that does'nt work that my next step is IVF with the sims clinic.
    I was delighted that they gave me the injection today but they kinda put a downer on it when the started talking IVF. But finger crossed that this month will be my month

Congrats on your follicles! I would do the deed daily rather than every 2 days.
    If you google the med it should tell you when you will ovulate on it based on what time you injected. With the Pregnyl it was between 34-36 hrs later ovulation occurs. We did the deed once before and once afterwards which seemed to work out for us. :)

Day 21 now and definitely no sign of a late ovulation for me, so I've accepted that I'm officially 1 foot in the 2 week wait. In a bid to be proactive about the fact that my odds are slim this month I have just bought myself a giant box of Thorntons that I'll crack open when day 1 rolls back around.

185551.jpg?ts=634499286355

This one.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

bleugh, well today was a total anti-climax. I'm not actually starting treatment til next month, my doc misinformed me last month - he told me to come in day 2/3 for a scan and we'll kick off from there. However the doc I saw today (first time seeing a different consultant) he said I need a pre-period scan (like about 7 days before period is due) and then we kick it off. Bummer.
    Plus I'm really pissed off about the cost of today. He was going through our charts and noted our hormone tests and semen analysis are coming up on being a year old, so guess what we had to do them all again today, which is ridiculous as we're going ahead with artificial treatment anyway so it doesn't really matter what the outcome of these tests are. Also, a new EU regulation requiring us to be tested for HEP C, HIV etc before you can commence this type of treatment and IVF, meant another €250 (€125 each)! On top of that I purchased the drugs I'll need (Puregon 900iu is the stim and Ovitrelle is the HCG trigger) and they were circa €200, although I only paid €120 thanks to DPS card. So I walked away €550 lighter in my pocket:( We were there 3 hours all in all, as there was no way we were coming back to get all these re-tests done at a later date, my job would freak, I'm going to be missing work enough with the regular scans during the course of treatment. Poor OH was not psychologically prepared to do a SA but he battled on nonetheless, and again was left waiting outside the receptionists office, cup-o-sperm in hand whilst receptionist sees to another patient, they really need a better system in there!
    Agggghhhhh. AND - another month of clomid for me (11th cycle), yipee :rolleyes: what god did I piss off, seriously!
    Iguana I'm having some of your choccie's, feck the diet!

bleugh, well today was a total anti-climax. I'm not actually starting treatment til next month, my doc misinformed me last month - he told me to come in day 2/3 for a scan and we'll kick off from there. However the doc I saw today (first time seeing a different consultant) he said I need a pre-period scan (like about 7 days before period is due) and then we kick it off. Bummer.
    Plus I'm really pissed off about the cost of today. He was going through our charts and noted our hormone tests and semen analysis are coming up on being a year old, so guess what we had to do them all again today, which is ridiculous as we're going ahead with artificial treatment anyway so it doesn't really matter what the outcome of these tests are. Also, a new EU regulation requiring us to be tested for HEP C, HIV etc before you can commence this type of treatment and IVF, meant another €250 (€125 each)! On top of that I purchased the drugs I'll need (Puregon 900iu is the stim and Ovitrelle is the HCG trigger) and they were circa €200, although I only paid €120 thanks to DPS card. So I walked away €550 lighter in my pocket:( We were there 3 hours all in all, as there was no way we were coming back to get all these re-tests done at a later date, my job would freak, I'm going to be missing work enough with the regular scans during the course of treatment. Poor OH was not psychologically prepared to do a SA but he battled on nonetheless, and again was left waiting outside the receptionists office, cup-o-sperm in hand whilst receptionist sees to another patient, they really need a better system in there!
    Agggghhhhh. AND - another month of clomid for me (11th cycle), yipee :rolleyes: what god did I piss off, seriously!
    Iguana I'm having some of your choccie's, feck the diet!

Chocolates? I'd need a stiff drink after a day like that. :eek: Its some money racket all the repeat tests and scans. Why would they want to do a pre-period scan? That sounds kinda unnecessary. I knew the drugs were expensive all right, as our nurse had warned us. Those were what I was moving onto. Poor you. Thats horrible to be all psyched up for it only for it to be cancelled for the month. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

DFT so sorry you had such a crappy day :( Neyite is right about the stiff drink! I really an truly hope the Clonmid works for you this month hun & you won't need to go back! Hope you feel better soon xx

Jeez bad day ya its all about the money......
    Has anyone here tried alternative treatments and no I dont mean picking up a young fellow lol:eek:.... Accupunture or hynosisis...just wondering

Ah DFT, that's sh1te :( hope you're ok and you know we're all here if you need a rant xxx

Joanie, I had acupuncture....erm, I think it was between the miss and the ectopic...was nice and relaxing but, I don't know, it just didn't feel right. I went for reiki after the ectopic and it did wonders for my mood and my head:)

I was talking to a mate of mine today now she doesnt know that Im doing this but she knows I lost my job last week and I was worried about getting another job...She told me Im too hyperactive and stressed and I need to calm down or ill just burn myself out....so im trying to find a way to destress and maybe calm down........All ideas welcome

Well, if money is tight, a walk is free and a great way to de-stress:) I love being beside water so a walk on the beach always sorts me out:)

If you have a few quid to spare, you can't go wrong with a massage or a facial:D

I love swimming too, chills me out and helps me sleep.

I was talking to a mate of mine today now she doesnt know that Im doing this but she knows I lost my job last week and I was worried about getting another job...She told me Im too hyperactive and stressed and I need to calm down or ill just burn myself out....so im trying to find a way to destress and maybe calm down........All ideas welcome

I enjoy yoga. (Geek alert) studies show that it increases the activity of our GABA receptors, which is the receptor for the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter of our central nervous system, so there is a reason why it is so relaxing.

I try squeeze in a few sessions of Yoga 4 Fertility each week so, which I do from the dvd. There is no scientific proof that it helps with fertility but it is relaxing and can't hurt. It's also safe to do during the 2 week wait so I don't have to worry about accidentally dislodging anything that might be trying to implant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Detectiv I'm so sorry you didn't start the new meds as planned. I'm gutted for you, I know you were looking forward to starting something new :(
    That was bad form of them to rub salt in the would charging that much more for tests. Its disgusting what they charge, very unfair :(

Joanie, I tried acupuncture but found it left me full of holes & more stressed than relaxed! (acupuncturist left me waiting ages then left me late going back to work after lunch :o) so I wouldn't be its biggest fan!
    I definitely think if you're wound up and up to 90 a massage or facial would be the business. Then again I think that's been because I've been fantasising about going to a spa recently for some nice chillaxing. I'll be waiting :rolleyes:

Iguana you have me drooling on my keyboard with that pic :D sorry you're out this month, on the upside at least you're almost at the start of a new cycle x

Applesock fair play to you for holding out so long without testing. I really hope its a positive after being so late x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

This TTC is really putting us through the mill, emotionally as well as financially isn`t it.
    €125 each for those sti tests is mad when you get them done for free in any clinic.
    And at 36yrs I myself am running out of patience, negative tests y/.day and this morning. Ive a few twinges so think AF is on the way...
    I`m actually quite terrified of getting AF, firstly cos it`ll mean I`m not pregnant and secondly I hear it can be quite heavy and painful being the first one after my m/c.
    While I haven`t got AF since last June I`m still somewhat in pregnant mode :o
    A not-too-close friend of mine has recently announced she`s pregnant and would have been due around my due date, I`m sad for myself but so damned pleased for her cos she`s been trying for 2 years and this was a successful IVF after a few failed attempts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement