Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Thanks Digs, love hearing good news stories especially on the first IVF try, hoping that's me too!!

Good Luck TyperMonkey, give it another few days, hopefully you good a positive outcome x

MeganMay that is fantastic, huge congrats to you, hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months xx

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

MM that is fantastic news, Im so happy for you. Hoping all goes smoothly for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

That is the most fantastic news Megan, absolutely delighted for ye both!!! Happy and healthy nine months mammy to be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Oh my gosh Megan biggest congrats. That's absolutely amazing news! Especially after everything you've been through recently.
    I've heard this so many times that the month people don't 'try' it happens. I always find it amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MeganMay

Thanks a million everyone!

Dreamstar - we actually had a really targeted month using the ovulation sticks for the first time and properly using the preseed (sorry if this is TMI but we hadn't been using the applicator before). I'd ovulated before the 'bad news' appointment and after that stopped tracking the cycle and tried to put it all out of my head. It was actually really nice not counting down the cycle!

• Advertisement

Thanks MeganMay. This was my first month using the Pressed too. Here's hoping I'm as lucky as you were! Still have a week to go in the 2 week wait so I know next week will drag! Have the odd moment of sore boobs and have felt crampy on and off but no period yet! Hopefully it won't come at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Dream star, I think you and are are in sync. These TWW is no fun :(

I have a big birthday next month, so of this isn't the month then I think we will skip next month. I would like a couple of glasses of bubbles which is a big no no I know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I have a big birthday next month, so of this isn't the month then I think we will skip next month. I would like a couple of glasses of bubbles which is a big no no I know

We decided to skip March so we wouldn't be expecting a December baby ... Guess when I'm due!

Congrats Megan, such wonderful news!!

I guess we can't really control these things

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Well I'm out this month. On the positive side I now have a cycle length..28 days. I had a 32 day cycle for natural periods all my life thus far so not sure what to read into the shortening. Probably means nothing and I'm still settling down after the miscarriage.

I think I'll continue to use the ovulation tests until I know for sure there's consistency to my cycle.

Good luck to everyone still in the TWW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Hope it happens for you next month TP. Maybe it's the cycle still regulating.

has anyone experienced a longer cycle post baby after having regular cycles beforehand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Just so you know, a few drinks around conception won't harm a baby at all. An embryo only starts receiving nutrients from the mothers placenta after about 6 weeks. A lot of women with unplanned pregnancies freak out because they'd been drinking unknowingly, but there's no need :)

It definitely is not fun. I'm just trying to distract myself but every time I go to the bathroom I have the fear! :D It's terrible.
    My cycles are usually 28 - 32 days. Today is day 32 but I did ovulate late this month/ My fertility friend app is telling me I'm due Sunday so we'll see how it goes! :P

TyperMonkey - I'm sorry this wasn't your month! Hope you're feeling ok. That day you get your period is so hard! I STILL find it really difficult. :(

I'm grand thanks dreamstar, little bit disappointed but fine really. Feels like the first month trying so still optimistic :-)

It's good timing for my period to arrive because we're going on holidays on Monday so we can have relaxed fun times rather than TTC fun times next week!

It's good timing for my period to arrive because we're going on holidays on Monday so we can have relaxed fun times rather than TTC fun times next week!

Aw FAB! Very jelous. Nothing like a holiday to take your mind off things. Enjoy! :D

Dolbert wrote: »
    Just so you know, a few drinks around conception won't harm a baby at all. An embryo only starts receiving nutrients from the mothers placenta after about 6 weeks. A lot of women with unplanned pregnancies freak out because they'd been drinking unknowingly, but there's no need :)

Thanks for this, I have being avoiding alcohol totally apart from 2 drinks last month during AF. Good to know I don't need to be so strict

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks for this, I have being avoiding alcohol totally apart from 2 drinks last month during AF. Good to know I don't need to be so strict

Being so strict with it when you don't need to might prove more stressful in the long run - you might not be actively stressed but when you are avoiding things while TTC, it keeps it at the forefront of your mind. If having a couple of glasses of wine on your TWW weekends help take your mind off the intensity and stress of TTC, its probably more beneficial to you to do that than abstain.

The fertilised egg gets its nutrients from the sac for the first few weeks, so no nutrients cross through the bloodstream until the placenta is forming. So, eat and drink what you like in moderation. Plenty of time to be good when you get that positive result.

Neyite wrote: »
    Being so strict with it when you don't need to might prove more stressful in the long run - you might not be actively stressed but when you are avoiding things while TTC, it keeps it at the forefront of your mind. If having a couple of glasses of wine on your TWW weekends help take your mind off the intensity and stress of TTC, its probably more beneficial to you to do that than abstain
    Sorry I probably sound like an alcoholic! I'm not a big drink but over the last few weekends we have been to bbq's and family gathering and a glass of wine would have been nice.
    Thanks for your advice

Congrats ShaShabear!

Keeping everything crossed for you Dreamstar, not long to go now! It gets harder the linger it goes on I know but hopefully you'll be celebrating on Sunday!

My IVF appointment is on Tuesday, so looking forward to getting started! This will be my first round of IVF, has anyone any advice on what I need to be asking during the first appointment??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Congrats ShaShabear!

Keeping everything crossed for you Dreamstar, not long to go now! It gets harder the linger it goes on I know but hopefully you'll be celebrating on Sunday!

My IVF appointment is on Tuesday, so looking forward to getting started! This will be my first round of IVF, has anyone any advice on what I need to be asking during the first appointment??

Hollywood we have ours tomorrow! We had am initial meeting to talk through our options a couple of weeks ago (we are going with ICSI). We are meeting the nurses and doctors tomorrow to go through and questions / concerns and also having our blood test (Mandatory HIV screenings).

I am getting to nervous, it is starting to become real

• Advertisement

Next Tuesday for us is the 'IVF Info Talk' StickyBean then we have our History Review appointment straight after, I take it this process for you is complete? I thought that after that appointment, the first day of my next cycle is when all will start, is that correct? We haven't been abstaining this month, although we haven't had much time to ttc due to OH working crazy hours. I had those bloods done last year but I suppose they'll have to be done again. I know I don't have to have the AMH test done again so it's one less expense. I don't actually know if we'll be going with ICSI I've a feeling we won't because the motility was good, but again I apparently won't know until the day.

I know how you feel, I am dying to get there next Tuesday but again I am feeling pretty nervous, heres hoping we'll both come out the other end smiling. Nice to have a buddy in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

We had our history completed and this was considered the next step. As mobility wasn't great, we have picked ICSI. As far as I recall and there was a lot of information to take in, all tests (bloods) are valid for 12 months and HIV must be done every 3 months...

I will give you a better update tomorrow xxx

Perfect Sticky, well hope everything goes well for you tomorrow and I'm looking forward to hearing how you got on xx

What do you guys do to take your mind off waiting??? :confused:
    I'm driving myself mad here - and I know I should relax but I'm too scared / excited. So I have been getting the odd cramp as if my period is going to come. Also got a massive spot on my chin :mad: which is always a sign it's on the way. Every time I feel crampy or........ icky (if you know what I mean) I'm going to the bathroom and preparing myself for the let down. BUT so far I'm still in the race! :eek: Have to wait until Sunday morning to test and it can't come quick enough.
    Phew.........needed to vent and get that out. I hate discussing these details with my hubby because I don't want him to get too excited over nothing. :D

Oh also meant to say - GOOD LUCK STICKYBEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed Dreamstar..not long to go now til Sunday. We seem to spend our whole life wishing the days away when TTC eh?

Good luck Hollywood and Stickybean with your appointments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Huge congrats Megan. Hope you’re feeling good and enjoying it 

I had my follow-up appt in the coombe yest. So I definitely have endo and even though they removed it during the last lap, the fact that I have a history of it now means it will reoccur. They think that I am not ovulating so next month I’ll start a 3month cycle of clomid from days 2-6 and will have my bloods done on day 21 to see if hormone levels indicate ovulation. Really hopeful this time around.

Fingers crossed Dreamstar..not long to go now til Sunday.

So literally straight after writing my comment went to the bathroom........and it's arrived. :( Mother nature reared her very ugly head.
    Am so gutted!
    Guess I'll have to order some more ovulation sticks. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

dreamstar wrote: »
    So literally straight after writing my comment went to the bathroom........and it's arrived. :( Mother nature reared her very ugly head.
    Am so gutted!
    Guess I'll have to order some more ovulation sticks. :mad:

The wait is a killer but at least you won't drive yourself crazy until Sunday now and you're beginning a fresh new cycle :)

I can't speak for everyone but for myself the three times I fell pregnant I didn't have to wonder or symptom spot, there was a definite difference for me anyways. I felt different, I just knew my period wasn't going to arrive :)

Treat yourself to a nice weekend and maybe as others have done abandon the sticks and pressure for one cycle, if for nothing else but just to allow you to focus on yourself for one full cycle :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Sittingpretty,
    It's definitely good advice. I know loads of people say the month they ease off tracking is the month it happens - I just can't seem to keep it to the back of my mind. Maybe you're right and not using the sticks etc would help.
    Hubby is treating me to dinner tonight - well needed treat!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement