Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

7.30am still no sign of Ivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Tuned in briefly to Tom Dunne.The voice of the unctuous,lightweight narcissus turned my stomach and I had a mental gawk:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

In my opinion NT have been piggy backing on the back of Celebrities even though home grown talents work, look at George Hook and Eamon Dunphy, they are terrible presenters in theroy, the have no real cohesion and make frequent mistakes, Tom Dunne who i do like seems to be taking a beating on this, Sean Moncrieff is an exception really who is a good presenter but has been around for a long time.

Off The Ball should be the stations flagship show at this stage, its well run, interesting and beats off competition and it is hosted by a person who has worked his way up through the company and is a talented presenter who can communicate with listeners and multi task on air, Hook struggles to read texts without shouting about them, if they sign sile seoige up its another cop-out, they need to start producing people who are actual radio presenters and not celebs, they need capable people who understand the subjects but who are preseters and have talent but more importantly training!

The breakfast show can stay as it is now, give it some time.
    Tom Dunne should be kept on his 2 hour slot.
    Johnaton Healy was ideal for the lunchtime slot because he knew what he was talking about and had a good on air persona.
    Moncrieff is a must to keep.
    Hook should think about giving it up now, he does pull in massive listnership but is dull, yates looks likely to replace him when he does leave meaning they should be training someone new in for breakfast.
    Off the ball should be installed as the stations most valueable asset ahead of the right hook.

Nighttime shows are fine as they are, Coleman's show is a good idea but i dont think he should be on the radio, Culture shock is a good idea aswell, Fionn has show promise as a presenter and could be moved to a day time slot instead of tom dunne or moncrieff if he leaves. Motormouth and splanc are fine too.

Rant over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

soc160 wrote: »
    Nighttime shows are fine as they are, Coleman's show is a good idea but i dont think he should be on the radio, Culture shock is a good idea aswell, Fionn has show promise as a presenter and could be moved to a day time slot instead of tom dunne or moncrieff if he leaves. Motormouth and splanc are fine too.

Agree with most of what you said... Coleman is THE worst presenter on any channel, god only knows why they persist with him.. And it could be a good show like you said... Why isnt Motormouth podcasted..?

Agree with most of what you said... Coleman is THE worst presenter on any channel, god only knows why they persist with him.. And it could be a good show like you said... Why isnt Motormouth podcasted..?

Agreed, i dont listen to him often enough but his lack of cohesion is shocking, The producer Ross o donovan or something like that is far better then him, he worked on 98fm's last night time talk show and had a large speaking roll and was good, deserves his own show, the nighttime could be exploited by hosting a regular talk show, something light hearted like Moncrieffs show bu with phone in's, featuring guests etc... its an open market with only aidrean kennedy as massive competition, although most people would listen to someone else ahead of him but theres no choice becauce stations are afraid of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Agree with most of that, I think the new breakfast show is very good, it was badly needed in the 9-10 hour.
    Don't mind Dunne when I listen, he can be quite funny, I'm usually on PK at that time anyway.

Moncreiff - best show on radio.

I think Hook was better a few years ago, he seems to have mellowed since he sold out to sky/aviva etc. He still has his moments though.

I travel alot at night, any late night discussion/debate show is preferable to listening to pop or art shows.
    Overall, I think Newstalk is a great station. I would like to hear less repeats though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Why isnt Motormouth podcasted..?

I still think a weekly motor show is overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I love Ivan, Conor Brophy, Chris, Jonathan H, Claire B, Sean M and Hook.

Out of them all George is my absolute favourite - I love him!!! I think he's brill.

Actually hang on ... I have two favs, George and Michael Graham!!!! I love it when Michael's on the show properly with George - they go really good together I think on the show!

Ivan then is in third position after George and Michael!

I am not keen on Coleman, the whole "Coleman at large" name just really irritates me. Tom Dunne annoys me, I'm not a fan of the sport shows because I'm not that into sport so everything they talk about I know nothing about. However I completely understand that they are great sport shows for those who are into sports, just no interest to me.

I don't listen to Motormouth that often, maybe a few mins every Monday evening when getting ready for bed, but tell me .... all they ever talk about is "boards.ie" (quote), "and this is from boards.ie", "oh and this is from boards.ie", "oh and here we have something else from boards.ie".

What is up with that?! They talk about nothing but boards!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

tinkerbell wrote: »

Out of them all George is my absolute favourite - I love him!!! I think he's brill.

Actually hang on ... I have two favs, George and Michael Graham!!!! I love it when Michael's on the show properly with George - they go really good together I think on the show!

Ivan then is in third position after George and Michael!

I am not keen on Coleman, the whole "Coleman at large" name just really irritates me. Tom Dunne annoys me, I'm not a fan of the sport shows because I'm not that into sport so everything they talk about I know nothing about. However I completely understand that they are great sport shows for those who are into sports, just no interest to me.

I don't listen to Motormouth that often, maybe a few mins every Monday evening when getting ready for bed, but tell me .... all they ever talk about is "boards.ie" (quote), "and this is from boards.ie", "oh and this is from boards.ie", "oh and here we have something else from boards.ie".

What is up with that?! They talk about nothing but boards!!! lol

Well, there ye go! Pure untrammelled love.

tinkerbell wrote: »

Conor Brophy and Johnaton Healy are two of the better people they have on their books, they both know alot about current affairs and are confident on air,Brophy was holding the breafast show together recently. Im suprised Ivan Yates is still there to be honest, he was signed for 6 months when Gilroy quit the show, now a year or so on hes managed to get the main role on the show.

• Advertisement

delaad wrote: »

Who doesnt love boards....There watching us.....

Who doesnt love boards....There watching us.....

Well I was kinda refering to Tinkerbell's love of - I take it - her favourite Newstalk presenters, but sure enough she did express amazement at how much Splonc mentioned boards alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Conor Brophy and Johnaton Healy are two of the better people they have on their books, they both know alot about current affairs and are confident on air,Brophy was holding the breafast show together recently. Im suprised Ivan Yates is still there to be honest, he was signed for 6 months when Gilroy quit the show, now a year or so on hes managed to get the main role on the show.

Gilroy was sacked from Breakfast show no 'gravitas' apparently.

Conor Brophy is leaving Newstalk for RTE soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is it just me or does anyone find the ads for the Tom Dunne show really irritating. Theres 1 ad for his september thingy thats meant to be in a classroom and the teacher speaking and another about his show starting at ten. Voice overs are rubbish on them

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

neris wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone find the ads for the Tom Dunne show really irritating. Theres 1 ad for his september thingy thats meant to be in a classroom and the teacher speaking and another about his show starting at ten. Voice overs are rubbish on them

They're a bit sh**te to be honest.I think it's his producer joe who does them.Personally three hours was a bit long for his show-2 is just about right.
    Didnt rate Ivan at the start but he's really grown into that role.Hookie is just too fond of his own voice-prefer Matt Cooper on Today FM.
    Off the Ball is a great show- the jewel in the crown as far as I'm concerned.Early & McDevitt are a great double act.They don't take themselves too seriously but they get interesting interviewees.
    I'm surprised RTE hasn't tried to poach them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

Badabing wrote: »

damn right gilroy was turfed out - he was a complete embarrassment on the morning show unless talking to graham hunter or some gaa correspondence.
    the fact that NT gave him the gig in the first place tells you a lot about the station - its basically a tabloid station if there is such a thing
    teaming up gilroy with clare byrne was just laughable - two clueless idiots who couldn't interview to save their lives

yates is actually alright in my book - fine for NT anyways
    that young fella on the breakfast show sounds like he should be in school, no credibility whatsoever
    brophy has improved dramatically in last few months but still would not be able to carry his own show

dunne is a gerry ryan wannabe - cringe, but he does secure the listenership amongst 40-60 year old auld wans

thankfully that kerry bogger is gone for the hills
    another amateur

moncrief is well decent - still has a very entertaining show

hook is just a muppet, stopped listening to him years ago.
    even those commercials drive me round the bend

usually i'm a big OTB fan but i think its going stale
    needs to be freshened up
    maybe a new presenter and some different features

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Yeah, Hook has just lost the plot this past 6 months or so. Used to like his program, but these days he's incapable of going for more than a few minutes without reverting back to talking about himself.

Nor, and I'm not being facetious here, can anybody expect to be taken seriously as a broadcaster if they go around making statements like 'Sky care that you are getting the best televisual experience'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

gotta admit .

the new lad on the breakfast show is alright. in fact the whole flow of the show is much better than it was.

about the only thing i dont like is yet MORE bleeding sports coverage at 9.30 but at least now i have a tollerable option to listen to right up to pat kenny.

have to give newstalk credit for that at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

the new lad on the breakfast show is alright. in fact the whole flow of the show is much better than it was.

Just shows how much the show was being dragged down by Claire Byrne over the past couple of years.

Its a pity her move to RTE meant she didn't get to present Tonight with Vincent Brown, I was looking forward to watching some car crash TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Well I was kinda refering to Tinkerbell's love of - I take it - her favourite Newstalk presenters, but sure enough she did express amazement at how much Splonc mentioned boards alright.

Huh? I actually don't get what you're saying here!?
    Badabing wrote: »

No way!! He can't leave!!!! :(:(

Oh and the reason I liked Claire on the breakfast show was because of the banter going on between her and Ivan - Ivan was always ripping the piss into her. Other than that, she's completely clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Could someone please tell me why Newstalk are persisting with Damien Kiberd, Tom Dunne, Brendan O'Brien and George Hook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

kiberd only fills in for them..
    haven't a clue who that o'brien bloke is that ur referring to

dunne is grand for the gerry ryan audience..
    hook is an idiot yes - the sooner they pull the plug on him the better but i suspect that'll be a little down the road
    he still has a respectable listenership - which is truly amazing

conno16 wrote: »
    kiberd only fills in for them..
    haven't a clue who that o'brien bloke is that ur referring to

dunne is grand for the gerry ryan audience..
    hook is an idiot yes - the sooner they pull the plug on him the better but i suspect that'll be a little down the road
    he still has a respectable listenership - which is truly amazing

Kiberd seems to have the Lunchtime show nailed down since Eamon Keane thankfully departed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i have no problem with that.

damien is alright in my book. isnt annoying and knows when to shut up and let the guest hang himself.

i miss eamon but of all the replacements kiberd is the one i like the most. just wish they could find something permenant for him to do. really have no idea how the dragons den guy will work out.

i have no problem with that.

damien is alright in my book. isnt annoying and knows when to shut up and let the guest hang himself.

i miss eamon but of all the replacements kiberd is the one i like the most. just wish they could find something permenant for him to do. really have no idea how the dragons den guy will work out.

Kiberd is absolutely awful. Seems to push his own agenda much of the time. An agenda that smacks of sensationalism. Add to that a very poor general knowledge of sport culture and technology. All vital in my opinion to carry this show.

Dara O'Brien almost had the deal until he pissed off Kevin Myers. Jonathon Healy was much better than Kiberd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Kiberd is absolutely awful. Seems to push his own agenda much of the time. An agenda that smacks of sensationalism. Add to that a very poor general knowledge of sport culture and technology. All vital in my opinion to carry this show.

Dara O'Brien almost had the deal until he pissed off Kevin Myers. Jonathon Healy was much better than Kiberd.

He was far better, Kilbert is just a watered down Eamon Keane.

Can anyone recall why Kiberd left Lunchtime last time round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

conno16 wrote: »
    damn right gilroy was turfed out - he was a complete embarrassment on the morning show unless talking to graham hunter or some gaa correspondence.
    the fact that NT gave him the gig in the first place tells you a lot about the station - its basically a tabloid station if there is such a thing
    teaming up gilroy with clare byrne was just laughable - two clueless idiots who couldn't interview to save their lives

yates is actually alright in my book - fine for NT anyways
    that young fella on the breakfast show sounds like he should be in school, no credibility whatsoever
    brophy has improved dramatically in last few months but still would not be able to carry his own show

dunne is a gerry ryan wannabe - cringe, but he does secure the listenership amongst 40-60 year old auld wans

thankfully that kerry bogger is gone for the hills
    another amateur

moncrief is well decent - still has a very entertaining show

hook is just a muppet, stopped listening to him years ago.
    even those commercials drive me round the bend

usually i'm a big OTB fan but i think its going stale
    needs to be freshened up
    maybe a new presenter and some different features

Absolute nail on head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Without getting into personal details Damien was not well and that why he left first time round. He's a true pro. Another success story from St Pauls college Raheny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I heard dunphy having a go at George hook on his show this morning but I didn't really hear the details. Can anyone fill me in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement