Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

So that must mean Shane coleman is being let go so!

about the only good thing to come from this.

im sure shane will be knocking about somewhere else like a does of crabs ya just cant get shot of.

but im still out on the new teams. in fact ive an awfull feeling its been deliberatly set up as they need "some wimmin" ala the whole PC womens quotas bollocksology were getting in politics now, which leads me thinking we could be heading back to the god awfull claire byrnes period of programming.

still nora was OK on vinny b as a stand in so maybe if she takes it seriously she'll be ok.

though it does seem to be yet ANOTHER insider compeltly on side with establishment ireland telling us what to do again.

some how ive no fear that if it came down to her to blow the whistle on the IMF coming in again we'd find out last - just like with RTE- as she's desperatly pulling on several green jersesy worth of denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Listened for about 5 minutes this morning and then switched stations to listen to Dublin City Radio and the traffic reports.
    Once she said "strategic planning - that's my thing. I have a background in this", I vomited quietly in my handkerchief and switched stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cant stand Nora Casey. Full of her own self importance and inflated ego. Her magazine business and dragons den investments must be fcuked if shes double jobbing. Hope she doesnt last to long

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mike65 wrote: »
    I dunno who is she but if she can speak proper I approve! :p

Properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2300751-bb56d372_Thats_the_joke.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭robbe

I wonder what people made of this morning's show...couldn't bring myself to listen to more than a few mins myself....heard a snippet of Nora going on about the time she was running the Irish Post and another clip of Chris failing to get to the point while asking a question to (I think) Richard Bruton.....anyone else listen in? I somehow think Chris will behave like a kid when a new teacher takes over the class, on best behaviour trying to impress.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

That's truly shocking that they've given Nora Casey that job. I can't listen to her silly put-on accent and starting every sentence with "as a business person" for more than five minutes. Like a poster above said, Newstalk won't even be on my dial anymore in the mornings. Surely they could've done better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How can you run a magazine empire when you have to be up at 4 in the morning to start another job?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

How can you run a magazine empire when you have to be up at 4 in the morning to start another job?:confused:

or how can you run a chain of coffee shops...

i've only heard Casey a few times and didnt find her too bad (that may change though!)

at the very least she is articulate and can pronounce her words...that's a step up.

As for Chris's awards nomination, you can nominate yourself for these...i've a friend who does this each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Kurz wrote: »
    That's truly shocking that they've given Nora Casey that job. I can't listen to her silly put-on accent and starting every sentence with "as a business person" for more than five minutes. Like a poster above said, Newstalk won't even be on my dial anymore in the mornings. Surely they could've done better than this.
    Silly put-on accents are de rigeur in the Irish broadcast media - Miriam O'Callaghan, Helen Curran (weather), Ray Darcy's sidekick, most female ad voice-overs.

Our own version of the awful 'Estuary English' phenomenon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

McDave wrote: »
    Ray Darcy's sidekick.

Curious as to which one you mean?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Curious as to which one you mean?
    The one on his radio show that I think he ended up marrying.

(Clue: neither Zig nor Zag!)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

McDave wrote: »
    The one on his radio show that I think he ended up marrying.

(Clue: neither Zig nor Zag!)

Ah! Now that you mention it... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

bamboozle wrote: »
    or how can you run a chain of coffee shops...

It says more about Irish Dragon's Den than Newstalk really...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Ah I don't know, about her taking over, not sure if I like it.Then Chris like a a little Jack Russell terrier jumping up and down been too formal.Then again MI is drab, nearly put you back to sleep, so I dont know which now:(.

Ah! Now that you mention it... ;)
    I did some research on the internet. Her name is, like, Jenny. Totally.

Can you believe both Ray and Jenny have their own wikipedia pages?

- His: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_D'Arcy
    - Hers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's actually quite depressing to think just how standards have fallen since the days of David McWilliams presenting the breakfast show.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's actually quite depressing to think just how standards have fallen since the days of David McWilliams presenting the breakfast show.

It's gotten to the stage where the only times I'd consider listening to NT now are Moncrieff and OTB, maybe Sunday Sport for the commentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's gotten to the stage where the only times I'd consider listening to NT now are Moncrieff and OTB, maybe Sunday Sport for the commentaries.
    It's not really on my radar apart from those myself anymore, and I don't really get to listen to Moncrieff too much due to work. However, even OTB can get a bit preoccupied with the in jokes, and then run out of time on features/ interviews which is quite irritating. I do enjoy Saturday and Sunday Sport - I think Gilroy does better at getting the balance between jokey and serious than OTB.

I've probably said this on this megathread somewhere before, but I really think Communicorp is spreading itself too thin, and should bit the bullet and go to the BAI with a proposal to formally merge Today FM and Newstalk into two complementary channels - one music, one talk. There's the guts of an alright talk channel between the two - Breakfast tbc, Darcy Mid Morning, Lunchtime (with some improvement), Moncrieff, Cooper/ Last Word, OTB. The BAI would have to be strong on the regulation of the resulting station though, insisting on the talk side being balanced, which is severely lacking in Newstalk imo, and one of the main issues I have with it's Current Affairs output (I don't need the presenters opinion, I need both sides to get a fair crack of the whip and make up my own mind).

Is it me or is Jonathan Healey getting more stridently annoying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

If they need to boost their daily female quota (which I think is ridonculous btw) then Sile Seoige would be a good contender, I always find her to be very listenable. Would she be 'serious' enough for breakfast, Chris does the news and she does the interviews maybe.

My local stations are better in the morning anyway. It's lunchtime or Moncrieff before I usually switch on Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"Damo" and "Jono" having an oul chat again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

mike65 wrote: »
    Is it me or is Jonathan Healey getting more stridently annoying?

Everything is an outrage on Lunchtime. I think they once ran out of tea bags and it was a national disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i miss damien TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

God, Amanda Brunker just annoys me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

I think the Breakfast Time has improved somewhat. Chris is no longer a puppy dog and she can present but my problem is and its in no way confined to Newstalk is that they are more interested in trying to get politions for interviews and then analizing how the interview is percieved in the public rather then researching and getting to route problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

If they need to boost their daily female quota (which I think is ridonculous btw) then Sile Seoige would be a good contender, I always find her to be very listenable. Would she be 'serious' enough for breakfast, Chris does the news and she does the interviews maybe.

You have to be joking surely? I can't listen to her show on Saturday mornings. It would actually be hilarious if they did put her and Chris together.

Why did they take so long to replace Ivan?

He was kind of annoying at times but he was far better.

I think him and Coleman would be the best combination of the recent line ups they've had.

Sile Seoige is barely in control of a sleepy Saturday morning show, Lord alone knows how she'd cope with the relative pace of Breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I think the Breakfast Time has improved somewhat. Chris is no longer a puppy dog and she can present but my problem is and its in no way confined to Newstalk is that they are more interested in trying to get politions for interviews and then analizing how the interview is percieved in the public rather then researching and getting to route problems.

I wish he would just stick the boot in every now and again to whoever he gets to interview. This morning was a perfect chance to stick it to the unions but he chickens out even though he was ranting first thing about the 3 mins extra work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 allucinator

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's not really on my radar apart from those myself anymore, and I don't really get to listen to Moncrieff too much due to work. However, even OTB can get a bit preoccupied with the in jokes, and then run out of time on features/ interviews which is quite irritating. I do enjoy Saturday and Sunday Sport - I think Gilroy does better at getting the balance between jokey and serious than OTB.

I've probably said this on this megathread somewhere before, but I really think Communicorp is spreading itself too thin, and should bit the bullet and go to the BAI with a proposal to formally merge Today FM and Newstalk into two complementary channels - one music, one talk. There's the guts of an alright talk channel between the two - Breakfast tbc, Darcy Mid Morning, Lunchtime (with some improvement), Moncrieff, Cooper/ Last Word, OTB. The BAI would have to be strong on the regulation of the resulting station though, insisting on the talk side being balanced, which is severely lacking in Newstalk imo, and one of the main issues I have with it's Current Affairs output (I don't need the presenters opinion, I need both sides to get a fair crack of the whip and make up my own mind).

Ah bless! Do you really think a media outlet owned by one of the wealthiest men in the country is going to give "both sides a fair crack of the whip"?

(Also VERY relevant to print media - Independent News in particular).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement