Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

bbc 6music ;)

Once I get a stable internet connection again. :)

NRJ Finland is better than any Irish radio at that time and I can't understand a word of what they're saying! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Pinko Lonergan whining about facilities on with Moncrieff

Will Lonergan hand back his payoff and bumper pension to fund same?

He should, he failed as a Governor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

really?? i think mornings on 5live to be the worst radio, just like joe duffy (albeit not so trivial) with people ringing in to complain for the sake of it.

That's why I wrote "or World Service" :D

It depends whether the subject being complained about is of interest to me or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

my friend wrote: »
    Pinko Lonergan whining about facilities on with Moncrieff

Will Lonergan hand back his payoff and bumper pension to fund same?

He should, he failed as a Governor
    He made a lot of sense to me. Are the facilities adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I hope the Dallas segments are finished at this point. Talk about freedom of the press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

George Hook wants the National Anthem brought back on RTE but nobody told him that RTE doesn't close down at night anymore. :rolleyes:
    What a feckin waste of airtime. It almost makes me wish for Tweedledum and Tweedledee (McIntyre and Glennon) to be back with him on Friday evenings again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

George Hook wants the National Anthem brought back on RTE but nobody told him that RTE doesn't close down at night anymore. :rolleyes:
    What a feckin waste of airtime. It almost makes me wish for Tweedledum and Tweedledee (McIntyre and Glennon) to be back with him on Friday evenings again.

Friday's are dire.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume there is fewer staff working research for the Friday show?

Hence more waffle time from George.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

He's fairly O.K. when he's talking to somebody,the 4.30 to 5.00 slot is pointless,it's just Georges opinion on everything,is it not supposed to be a news programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

kneemos wrote: »
    It's just Georges opinion on everything,

That's what his show is like every night.

Listening to the science show on the 6.00_7.00 slot seems like an excellent programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

SBP confirming that Norah Casey has been signed as Ivan's replacement on breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Chris Donoghue has been nominated for News broadcaster of year and Tom Dunne for Speech Broadcaster of year in the 2012 PPI Radio Awards. It has to said - strange choices.

http://www.ppiradioawards.com/2012/shortlist_2012.php

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jesus wept...

At both of the above posts.

GSF wrote: »
    SBP confirming that Norah Casey has been signed as Ivan's replacement on breakfast.

It's so blatantly obvious that this will not work, I'm shocked someone would even come up with the idea - never mind implementing it.

Ah ****!! I just realised that Norah Casey is going to be on one side and Claire Byrne is going to be in the rotation on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

EchoO wrote: »
    Chris Donoghue has been nominated for News broadcaster of year and Tom Dunne for Speech Broadcaster of year in the 2012 PPI Radio Awards. It has to said - strange choices.

Do stations get to pick their own nominees?

Isn't it the PPI's that are the joke awards for radio? Everyone in the industry gets a nice slap on the back. IIRC, the year Ray Foley won the "Best Comedy Inserts" award, Mario Rosenstock was given the "Lifetime Achievement Award". :rolleyes:

How to enter ... http://www.ppiradioawards.com/howtoenter.php

Awards committee...

Sean Ashmore Dublin's Country Mix 106.8fm Tom Hardy TODAY fm Kieran McGeary Cork’s 96fm Nessa McGann Spin South West Susan Murphy Clare FM Rónán Mac Con Iomaire RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta John McMahon RTÉ 2FM Sinead Wylde RTÉ lyric fm Garrett Harte newstalk 106 -108 Jim Jennings RTÉ Radio 1 Jackie Neill BBC Northern Ireland John Rosborough Independent Radio Consultant Mary Menton Event Director

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You must have altered the link some way. Please tell me you did, this has got to be some sort of sick joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

And the link: http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Former+dragon+Casey+gets+Newstalk+breakfast+role/id/933e2378-d13d-4ce7-85e7-16f211646414

O.M.G. Serious yuk.

I haven't listened to NewsTalk on Saturdays and Sundays since the fiasco of Dunphy fizzling out.

Casey on Breakfast *completely* wipes out NewsTalk mornings for me on a *permanent* basis. A total game-changer on dial setting. There's always Matt Cooper in the evenings, but over a 12 hour window that's a serious overall dearth for a news channel. For all intents and purposes, NewsTalk is dead air to me.

You must have altered the link some way. Please tell me you did.

No, there is actually a group of judges out there who seem to think that Chris and Tom are in the top 5 of their field.

• Advertisement

No, there is actually a group of judges out there who seem to think that Chris and Tom are in the top 5 of their field.

I'd be a big fan of Tom Dunne,don't know about Chris being the best of the bunch though.The awards have to do the rounds I suppose,can't give it to the same people every year.

kneemos wrote: »
    I'd be a big fan of Tom Dunne,don't know about Chris being the best of the bunch though.The awards have to do the rounds I suppose,can't give it to the same people every year.

You have a point, they are just industry awards and not to be taken too seriously. I suspect there is a large political element to who gets what award. It's a night out for everyone involved and the winners get to use some new jingles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Newstalk have definitely lost a listener for the breakfast show.
    I though Norah was brutal - incredibly "matronly" and patronising.
    No idea what I'll listen to now. Can't stand Claire Byrne so Radio 1 is not an option.
    Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Heroditas wrote: »
    No idea what I'll listen to now. Can't stand Claire Byrne so Radio 1 is not an option.
    Very disappointing.

There's always Hector ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So that must mean Shane coleman is being let go so!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Heroditas wrote: »
    Very disappointing.

Tend to agree - not quite as bad as when she was on the morning panel on some newstalk show a while ago talking about male dress sense during the summer and the need for eye candy - still get shivers from the vaguely sinister Monty Burns way she said it! Have given up on Bfast shows recently and this will make it even more unlikely that I'll tune in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno who is she but if she can speak proper I approve! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Did my ears deceive me, or did Chris encourage people to "blow the roof off Terminal 1" when the Para Olympics team fly back here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pity he didn't say that in Britain! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Carry_on_Matron_01.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement