Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

McDave wrote: »
    Ex-NewsTalk presenter Claire Byrne is being touted in the Sindo for Morning Ireland: http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/claire-byrne-lined-up-for-morning-ireland-role-3203556.html

I think NewsTalk really dropped the ball on CB. NewsTalk foisted Ivan Yates on her, and I didn't much care for the way Yates behaved towards her. No class. She left NewsTalk in fairly short order for RTE, and after some supporting gigs, it looks like her time has come.

Good luck Claire. If you're on MI, I'll be tuning in from Lyric - having long ago given up the ghost on the Breakfast Show.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Claire Byrne was completely out of her depth and Yates only showed her up for the complete lightweight she is. Reading the news is about her level,however somebody in RTE likes her.
    Newstalk didn't drop any ball in relation to some great talent, getting on to the gravy train that is RTE is the holy grail for those involved in the media in Ireland. Newstalk don't pay very well and are not likely to eithe,r when they have yet to turn a profit.
    I suggest you listen to her when she is interviewing someone.As somone said earlier, she reads the question on the card, she just doesn't have the political or cultural awareness or depth of knowledge that she really should have. Then again,that's not unusual these days.
    I genuinely despair that she seems to have been promoted way way way beyond her ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Ex-NewsTalk presenter Claire Byrne is being touted in the Sindo for Morning Ireland: http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/claire-byrne-lined-up-for-morning-ireland-role-3203556.html

I think NewsTalk really dropped the ball on CB. NewsTalk foisted Ivan Yates on her, and I didn't much care for the way Yates behaved towards her. No class. She left NewsTalk in fairly short order for RTE, and after some supporting gigs, it looks like her time has come.

Good luck Claire. If you're on MI, I'll be tuning in from Lyric - having long ago given up the ghost on the Breakfast Show.

The Breakfast Show with Claire Byrne had 70,000 listenerships, after she left they gained 63,000 - hardly a coincidence,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I couldn't disagree with you more. Claire Byrne was completely out of her depth and Yates only showed her up for the complete lightweight she is. Reading the news is about her level,however somebody in RTE likes her.
    Newstalk didn't drop any ball in relation to some great talent, getting on to the gravy train that is RTE is the holy grail for those involved in the media in Ireland. Newstalk don't pay very well and are not likely to eithe,r when they have yet to turn a profit.
    I suggest you listen to her when she is interviewing someone.As somone said earlier, she reads the question on the card, she just doesn't have the political or cultural awareness or depth of knowledge that she really should have. Then again,that's not unusual these days.
    I genuinely despair that she seems to have been promoted way way way beyond her ability.
    Just giving my POV Yosser.

I gave Yates the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but he was an awful smart ass in the end. And all despite his considerable experience, which should have made him a serious broadcasting heavyweight.

Claire Byrne was fine in her NewsTalk role. Obviously she will never be a John Bowman. But she's head and shoulders above phoneys like Miriam O'Callaghan. If you look at the current crew on Boring Ireland, which I can't really listen to, IMO she'll be an asset.

EchoO wrote: »
    The Breakfast Show with Claire Byrne had 70,000 listenerships, after she left they gained 63,000 - hardly a coincidence,
    Chris and Claire didn't do so well. Yates increased the listenership. He has an obvious profile. But even the current crew is holding up well after Yates' departure. So there are must be other factors at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Anybody who thinks Clair Byrne is a talented presenter is either on drugs or her brother or sister. I'm sorry, but she is shockingly bad and I'm genuinely baffled that someone actually rates her.

• Advertisement

Chris and Claire didn't do so well. Yates increased the listenership. He has an obvious profile. But even the current crew is holding up well after Yates' departure. So there are must be other factors at work.

There's a bit of a time lag with the JNLR figures so the current crews ratings aren't know yet, I fully expect them to nose dive. Ivan's obvious profile only started to have an affect after she left. For me, the reason why Ger and Claire, or Ivan and Claire, didn't do so well is down to her not having a particularly likeable radio persona. I really can't understand why has been given the breaks she has in RTE, her talent definitely doesn't merit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

Byrne is too lightweight for current affairs and too stuffy for light entertainment - she'll be perfect for RTE.

Yates had his faults but he was excellent at calling it when it came to Irish politics and at asking the probing questions in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

There's something quite unlikeable about Claire Byrne, can't put my finger on it.
    She seemed very out of her dept on Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its the 6 month numbers published in late Oct/early November that will tell us much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

There's something quite unlikeable about Claire Byrne, can't put my finger on it.
    She seemed very out of her dept on Newstalk.

Shes not very spontaneous. Comes across as very head girl jolly hockey sticks type. Would struggle with banter if it wasnt pre-scripted.

• Advertisement

Technique wrote: »
    Byrne is too lightweight for current affairs and too stuffy for light entertainment - she'll be perfect for RTE.

Yates had his faults but he was excellent at calling it when it came to Irish politics and at asking the probing questions in interviews.
    I really wanted to like Yates. He could have potentially brought a lot to the show. But in the end I think he had what seemed like a lazy attitude, riffing on slagging Chris, and not getting stuck into the serious politicos when they needed to be taken down a peg or two. In the heel of the hunt, he didn't go for the big game on the Breakfast Show.

I'm not arguing CB had more political nous than Yates. But she's undoubtedly a good presenter. And I think she'll do a better (and hopefully less patronising) job than Aine Lawlor.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Would rate Ivan far higher than CB.
    Ivans slagging of Chris I felt was un-needed and pointless.

Is the Fionn/Mary double act working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

the Fionn/Mary double act working?

They are on now and it's excruciating.

Talking about rape. Apparently its bad mmmmkay ?

I would never have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭td1

they're still employing sarah carey :( and now they've decided that mike soden is just the economics guru we need :(:( - could you pick 2 people more representative of what was/is rotten with this country

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Biddie from Glenroe presenting a national radio show has just got me thinking about something.

Does anyone remember about two years ago comedian PG Gallagher was due to fill in for Tom during his summer break. I think he did two days before being pulled and Sile Seoige was parachuted in (pardon the pun).

Did anyone hear PG for those two days, and if so just how bad was it?

Biddie from Glenroe presenting a national radio show has just got me thinking about something.

Does anyone remember about two years ago comedian PG Gallagher was due to fill in for Tom during his summer break. I think he did two days before being pulled and Sile Seoige was parachuted in (pardon the pun).

Did anyone hear PG for those two days, and if so just how bad was it?

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/comic-not-laughing-as-radio-axe-falls-2315232.html
    Station insiders claim Newstalk's decision was prompted by fears of a ratings meltdown with the arrival of Ryan Tubridy in the same slot on 2fm.
    :pac:

It wasn't great now, but being replaced by Sile Seoige was adding insult to injury - she was awful. I remember thinking Newstalk's claim that "Sile got a particularly good reaction from listeners" was very suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Jesus Tom Dunne has had some ratings meltdown since he took over 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think I vaguely remember it being a bit mad but not that bad in fairness,paticularly as he said himself on the second day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Irish talk radio is really in the dumps at the moment. Pity I used to really like Newstalk. Morning Ireland taking on Claire Byrne, one of the reasons I stopped with NT, disappoints me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

The food guy on Moncrieff today was pretty entertaining.He's probably the only chef they've had on that I wouldn't mind listening to instead of Paolo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

every time I tune into Newstalk that Micheal O'Mucketty is droning on and I turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Who is the muppet who runs the sports dept? If he/she thought having Phil Thompson as a summariser for a Liverpool match was a good idea, then Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Whoever thought it was a good idea to allow Mick Clifford 'speak' on live radio really needs their head read, he's worse than Tom Dunne and I don't say that lightly :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

pm1977x wrote: »
    Whoever thought it was a good idea to allow Mick Clifford 'speak' on live radio really needs their head read, he's worse than Tom Dunne and I don't say that lightly :mad:

I remember on one of the Friday Pat Kenny panels a few years ago, he pronounced the word hyperbole as 'hyper bole', several times. Kenny didn't even butt in to correct him. Real face palm stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I remember on one of the Friday Pat Kenny panels a few years ago, he pronounced the word hyperbole as 'hyper bole', several times. Real face palm stuff.

Doesn't surprise me, he can barely get a sentence out, despite it sounding like he's reading every word off a page

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I remember on one of the Friday Pat Kenny panels a few years ago, he pronounced the word hyperbole as 'hyper bole', several times. Kenny didn't even butt in to correct him. Real face palm stuff.

I can't think of any way Pat could have corrected his pronunciation without coming across as a condescending prick.

I'm surprised he didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Truly fascinating discussion with Richie Sadler on OTB. Great insight and a great listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Truly fascinating discussion with Richie Sadler on OTB. Great insight and a great listen.

Great to have Ken Early back in his usual slot again after 9 o'clock. The man's a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Who is the muppet who runs the sports dept? If he/she thought having Phil Thompson as a summariser for a Liverpool match was a good idea, then Christ.

Done very, very intentionally. I personally think it's hilarious. Hope he's on for the Merseyside derby if it's on NT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Anyone know what people get paid at Newtalk?

Sean, Eoin McD and Hook already have other jobs but what's their NT salary? Even an appearance by Paulo or Richie S, or Henry McK. Any information would be appreciated.

I'd love to get an idea of the money involved. NT are making a loss aren't they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement