Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Jaysus Alex white just got trashed by Chris just now on the allowances issue .

Complete car crash and he's still one step away from losing it again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Jaysus Alex white just got trashed by Chris just now on the allowances issue .

Complete car crash and he's still one step away from losing it again :D

Thats what happens when a young dymamic presenter meets a young dymamic politican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I enjoyed that, Chris O'D earning his beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

mike65 wrote: »
    I enjoyed that, Chris O'D earning his beans!

You know what I learnt only this morning, mike? Its plain Chris Donoghue, not an "O" in sight. Been making the same mistake myself all this time...

Was also impressed by his performance this morning, he really went off on one. I'd say he pissed off plenty of public sector workers this morning with those numerous rants. :D

Less impressive is his persistence in saying "we have a lot to get through today..." at 7am every morning, no matter if its a slow news day or not.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

kneemos wrote: »
    Thats what happens when a young dymamic presenter meets a young dymamic politican.

Alex White is 53, neither young nor dynamic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 allucinator

Hootanany wrote: »
    It's gone very bad now will not be listening to this station again.

I'm with you - I've got rid of Newstalk on my car, bedside and kitchen radios plus my Android & desktop. So one sided, amateurish and up-their-own asses.
    Not very entertaining to me so - as one of their presenters might say - I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I listened to Dublin City FM and Spin 103.8 in the car today.
    Good God!!!! That's how bad it is. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Since I've stopped listening to breakfast I find myself not tuning in at all until OTB in the evening. Just goes to show how important the early morning slot is, if its turning people away in their droves they might not listen again for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Heard some of that Doctor after the 9am news talking bout the labour party and Roisin "all mouth & no guts" shortall. Breakfast seems to be getting a bit in to "telling it like it is" the last 2 days. About time they stop pussy footing round the pen pushers and labour party

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah, if there's something newstalk really needs, it's less balance and more opinions disguised as facts.

Speaking of facts, another fine example from Early last night when interviewing Gary Pallister re galatasaray in 1993. Going on about how hard United found it to adjust after the English clubs heysel ban and this being the prime example. United won the Cup Winners Cup 1st season after the ban ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Yeah, if there's something newstalk really needs, it's less balance and more opinions disguised as facts.

Speaking of facts, another fine example from Early last night when interviewing Gary Pallister re galatasaray in 1993. Going on about how hard United found it to adjust after the English clubs heysel ban and this being the prime example. United won the Cup Winners Cup 1st season after the ban ffs.

I think his point was more related to winning the european cup proper. At the time, the cup winners cup was the lesser of the european cups. For example, to get to the final of the cup winners cup United had to beat the sum total of 4 teams (Pécsi Mecsek, Wrexham, Montpellier and Legia Warsaw).

oh FFS.

ANOTHER alco bashing item on newstalk.

i'd love to ask these media and medical heads one question.

do we really have a problem with alcohol or do YOU ?

cause last time i checked the majority of us are quite happy with our relationship with alcohol, whilst the main moaners are the professional classes.

im fecking pissed off with this lecturing shyte now and im turning off.half this country wouldnt BE here if it wasnt for alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Many Irish have dangerous relationship to alcohol as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Healy has developed a "holier than thou" attitude lately which is becoming unbearable....

mike65 wrote: »
    Many Irish have dangerous relationship to alcohol as far as I can see.

This is absolutely true. The problem as far as I can see is that people in positions of power seem to think we can prohibit our way to a solution. I'm certain the answer lies in education, a change in culture and attitude towards drink. Every major life event is associated with alcohol in this country from the christening, to the confirmation, birthdays, junior cert, leaving cert, Debs, Graduation and beyond. Everything seems to be an excuse for drinking. Is it any wonder people have an attachment to alcohol by the time they are adults if thats all they have seen from a young age? Until the culture changes, people who want to drink to excess will find a way to.

and thats NOT going to happen because drinking is a major part of our culture

TBH Im starting to think this stuff is bordering on the anti irish now as its demonising a lifestyle the vast majority of us happily choose from a hectoring minority of busybodies and vested intersts.

once again the ONLY solution put forward is price fixing.

and the ONLY guy to say it wouldnt work was the alcoholic !

mark my words if through some miracle they actually got alcohol banned or restricted the feckers will be going on about how many burgers we eat now , or choclolate consumption and its relationship to diabetes.

and the only real winners ?

smugglers.

just like with the ciggies.

ive been hearing this crap for 40yrs now and i fully expect to hear it again in 40 years time (if im still knocking about)

OH FFS !

NOW , on cue, theyre on about fat bastards !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Im fed up with the publicans more then the doctors. Yeah we drink a good bit but the fact that pubs are so expensive and unsocial has a lot to do with it. Go on a night out 5 quid for a pint and you cant have a proper conversation with your mates coz theres either football on the tv or music blaring out so your shouting into each others ears. The vinters have a massive lobby to get at the government to close off license and shop sales at 10pm and now pushing through minimum pricing so why cant they turn that onto the drinks companies for cheaper kegs, bottles, spirits and soft drinks. Minimum pricing isnt going to have people running to the pubs coz they cant get a can of booze for a euro they,ll just 12 cans for 24 euro rather then 24 for 24 euro. The nanny state is really getting above its station. agree they,ll ban booze then it,ll be burgers and other food to protect the farmers then they,ll probably ban us breathing coz of the unhealthy air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Newstalk commentator: " The problem is we have normalised drinking in this country."

Ah, so that's it.
    I see you have a nice tan Mr. commentator............ been on holidays to Italy or Spain recently.............. see any local families dining.........

Sorry, where was I........ oh yes, more prohibition...... that works.......... oh, and penalise the responsible drinkers as well by raising the price for all.

and thats NOT going to happen because drinking is a major part of our culture

TBH Im starting to think this stuff is bordering on the anti irish now as its demonising a lifestyle the vast majority of us happily choose from a hectoring minority of busybodies and vested intersts.

once again the ONLY solution put forward is price fixing.

and the ONLY guy to say it wouldnt work was the alcoholic !

mark my words if through some miracle they actually got alcohol banned or restricted the feckers will be going on about how many burgers we eat now , or choclolate consumption and its relationship to diabetes.

and the only real winners ?

smugglers.

just like with the ciggies.

ive been hearing this crap for 40yrs now and i fully expect to hear it again in 40 years time (if im still knocking about)

So you think that just because drinking (to excess) is part of our culture, we shouldnt try to change our habits and adopt a more sensible relationship with alcohol? To put your example into context, are you suggesting that just because "it was part of our culture" we should have just continued to accept that gardai pretty much ignored that people had a few and drove home? To make it clear, I am not for one minute suggesting alcohol should be outlawed or opening hours for pubs/clubs to be cut back, I'm simply suggesting that many peoples relationship with alcohol, cultural or otherwise, is unhealthy and in many cases dangerous.

• Advertisement

and whos "We"

cause all im hearing is the ususal suspects

the rest of us outside of the D-Furr trinity/UCD set are perfectly happy with our relationship with alcohol.

hence why despite all the nonsense its never changes, generation after generation. TBH at this stage i just wish the minority would just feck off to Utah and leave the rest of us alone.

and whos "We"

cause all im hearing is the ususal suspects

the rest of us outside of the D-Furr trinity/UCD set are perfectly happy with our relationship with alcohol.

hence why despite all the nonsense its never changes, generation after generation. TBH at this stage i just wish the minority would just feck off to Utah and leave the rest of us alone.

I can't possibly argue with this well thought out and balanced argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looks like George is abandoning all attempts at news coverage in favour of pontification,it's fast becoming the church of George.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Why is Mick Clifford now on at night, why is he on the radio in the first place, why won't he go away, for good!? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

pm1977x wrote: »
    Why is Mick Clifford now on at night, why is he on the radio in the first place, why won't he go away, for good!? :mad:

is he doing the sex talk on davenport after dark?:pac:

is he doing the sex talk on davenport after dark?:pac:

oh dear god! :eek: currently 'sitting in' for the bloke who has some problem with his throat and is constantly bashing (probably correctly) university lecturers, Coleman???

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Y'know... it's gotten to the stage where Coleman's is probably the only hard news based show on NT that I can stomach listening to these days.

What's the relationship between him and Bill, the FG bloke - they tear strips off each other at times

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭robbe

Tuned in this morning for the 1st time in a while, Mary O'Rourke being interviewed by Nora Casey....sweet jesus, couldn't reach for the dial quick enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

oh dear god! :eek: currently 'sitting in' for the bloke who has some problem with his throat and is constantly bashing (probably correctly) university lecturers, Coleman???

That'll be the bare 2.2.
    What's the relationship between him and Bill, the FG bloke - they tear strips off each other at times

There were rumours he was expelled from Young FG.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement