Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Heard the breakfast show this morning for the first time since Nora 40 Jobs was announced as Ivan 40 pensions' permanent replacement. OH DEAR GOD!! The two of them haven't a clue. There is no depth to the show at all. Every 30 minutes they run through the same routine of Chris asking Nora her opinion on X as if she was an expert on the subject. I tuned over to Morning Ireland and Aine Lalor (I think) was ripping into Eamon Gilmore. Is there no newspaper journalist that could have been appointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I only heard the post 9 am slot - the panel finally got to speak at 12 minutes past the hour. It was notable just how much filler, fluff and repetitious waffle there was. Its been apparent for a long time on Breakfast but seems to be getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Listening to the lunch time show Rurai Quinn just justified Labour going to the five star Carton House by saying "Nothing is too good for the working man". The only people working in that hotel this week are the staff serving the Ministeral dinner and turning out the ministeral beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

mike65 wrote: »
    Sile Seoige is barely in control of a sleepy Saturday morning show, Lord alone knows how she'd cope with the relative pace of Breakfast.

agreed, herself and her sister struggle when they have to go off-script.

i just find myself switching off the radio on the way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

bamboozle wrote: »

I tried to give the Breakfast Show a go this morning and just had to turn off when Norah asked people to text in if drivers alongside them were on their phones while driving. FFS... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Heroditas wrote: »
    bamboozle wrote: »

I tried to give the Breakfast Show a go this morning and just had to turn off when Norah asked people to text in if drivers alongside them were on their phones while driving. FFS... :rolleyes:

I just had to turn off Norah. Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

She does sound a bit amateurish to be fair.She did a lot better the first time around,I wouldn't be too critical I suppose,give her a chance to warm her seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

touts wrote: »
    Listening to the lunch time show Rurai Quinn just justified Labour going to the five star Carton House by saying "Nothing is too good for the working man". The only people working in that hotel this week are the staff serving the Ministeral dinner and turning out the ministeral beds.
    I'd say the barmen are working quite hard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Looks like im back to 104 for the 9-10am slot as i cant suffer that katherine thomas on radio1. Hope shes just covering for someone?.
    jimmyw wrote: »
    But this is a newstalk thread.

Sorry i meant to type 106. I just insta switched over now when she came on and read back my post just to see if it somehow got post of the day!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Norah Casey this morning on:

- 3 students pictured in the paper "Sure they're all girls cos women are smarter"
    - Texting and driving "They must be women cos men can't multitask"
    - Amanda Brunker posing for playboy "She's a very smart business woman"
    - Domestic violence "snigger snigger "She asked for it" snigger again"

Oops - that last bit is my mistake. It was Roger Moore who was the domestic violence bit, so should read "He asked for it, snigger snigger."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yesterday they also wanted people to text in when they saw someone on the phone while driving. Cutting edge current affairs right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

- 3 students pictured in the paper "Sure they're all girls cos women are smarter"

Oops - that last bit is my mistake. It was Roger Moore who was the domestic violence bit, so should read "He asked for it, snigger snigger."
    Are you serious on the last bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

More or less. I think she backtracked furiously saying her comment had been based on an interview with Roger Moore - I think he said he had been the subject of domestic violence in his first two marriages and was not sure whether it was because he was difficult to live with or the his wives were "fiesty".

I was utterly appalled at her flippant attitude. If Roger Moore wants to make light of it in an interview that's entirely his prerogative - it is not appropriate for someone on the national airwaves to snigger there way through such a story and she did apologise following a few texts they received in.

Sounds like she deserves a slap! :pac:

EDIT: also, was it not Rosanna Davison who posed for Playboy. Bar being a "model", what sort of businesses has she dabbled in?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭robbe

Didn't hear that but was amused to catch her saying that she'd never heard of the phrase 'coping classes'.....she can't have listened to NT much then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I find it odd that NT insists on hiring RADIO presenters who are not natural/comfortable speakers. Bobby Kerr, Chris Donoghue, Mick Clifford...

There is a lot to be said for the RTE/BBC school of radio announcers.

I will say this much for Tom Dunne, he seems 100% natural and comfortable on the radio. Most of NT these days seems to be non-presenters struggling through each and every sentence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

i'm not sure what the craic is with all of ivan's successors trying to keep up with the whole slaggin match with chris thing...its pathetic. "banter" me hole. chris donoghue said something like good morning to her the other day and she goes "the stink of aftershave in here"...not sure where it fit in to the banter side of things. just seemed like a beeeeeeatch.

anyway, nora whatever her name is, i've been fortunate enough to have avoided her til now on the airwaves...i really dont know how else to put it or be more articulate, she just comes across as being a complete c*nt of a person, sorry but dunno how else to put it.

nail in coffin for newstalk for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

By having a swipe at males she's only exposing insecurities about her own standing in the corporate world. She may think its only a bit of craic but can you imagine if Chris started to list off female stereotypes. Sexism can swing both ways Norah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

They should give Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain a run with CD during mid-term - then we'd see how he copes with pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

By having a swipe at males she's only exposing insecurities about her own standing in the corporate world. She may think its only a bit of craic but can you imagine if Chris started to list off female stereotypes. Sexism can swing both ways Norah.

Lol, have you already forgotten what Yates got up to during his tenure? Sure, this is all he did every morning.

Between slagging the wife and women drivers, he had driven the female listenership mad including my wife who refused to listen while he was on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

I was just listening to OTB and heard an ad where someone was declaring that Newstalk is a "business focused station", wtf is that supposed to mean. It's just some meaningless bull**** the CEO dreamt up, as a result Norah Casey and Bobby Kerr has been inflicted on us just because they were on Dragon's Den.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

EchoO wrote: »
    I was just listening to OTB and heard an ad where someone was declaring that Newstalk is a "business focused station", wtf is that supposed to mean. It's just some meaningless bull**** the CEO dreamt up, as a result Norah Casey and Bobby Kerr has been inflicted on us just because they were on Dragon's Den.

There's a little more to it than that ... Denis O'Brien and a Sean Gallagher-esque business men are the real national heroes thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

I hate this double jobbing crap on Newstalk and TV3 (and RTE where it is endemic)

I don't want to listen to Bobby Kerr or Norak Casey. I'd rather hear some up and coming talent instead of bloated fat cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

EchoO wrote: »

I don't think it's meaningless bullsh*t. Sure they're always are having business jerks presenting their shows and ISME f*ckers on being interviewed.

They love a bit of small and medium enterprises up in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

There's a little more to it than that ... Denis O'Brien and a Sean Gallagher-esque business men are the real national heroes thing.

I suspect it is largely about the CEO trying to ingratiate himself with the stations largest shareholder.
    I don't think it's meaningless bullsh*t. Sure they're always are having business jerks presenting their shows and ISME f*ckers on being interviewed.

They love a bit of small and medium enterprises up in there.

But to what end? Newstalk's goal is to increase market share to a point where it can finally make a profit. Does hiring some token business people as presenters and a pretty rubbish slogan help in anyway to achieve this? I can't see how. In fact, I predict that Norah Casey is not going to be a big hit JNLR wise and I doubt Bobby Kerr's listenership figure's are that great either. So it's all a bit counterproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It's gone very bad now will not be listening to this station again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Tuned into Norah Casey this morning. She seemed mainly interested in the rubbish tat celeb stories. Is this a woman thing or what?

Bobby Kerr probably the worst thing I've ever heard on radio, even worse than Ray Foley. He tries to talk about marketing as if it's relevant or exciting.

seachto7 wrote: »

Bobby Kerr probably the worst thing I've ever heard on radio, even worse than Ray Foley. He tries to talk about marketing as if it's relevant or exciting.

His attempts to justify not passing on the VAT drop last year were a disgrace and he should have been slung out on the street for using his Newstalk show as a soapbox for that argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

telekon wrote: »
    Lol, have you already forgotten what Yates got up to during his tenure? Sure, this is all he did every morning.

Between slagging the wife and women drivers, he had driven the female listenership mad including my wife who refused to listen while he was on.
    Unfortunately, Yates got worse as time went on. Half the time he was on slagging autopilot. The other half reading out newspaper headlines. He hardly got stuck in at all. Which is where you might have expected him to really score.

But since Yates, the BB has got worse too. And now since Casey it's absolutely unlistenable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement