Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk About Your Relationships Here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Well i finally got in contact with him.
    He said things had got on top of him, he doesnt have a job, his ex is pregnant, we were moving too fast etc and needed some time out.
    He wants a couple more days to clear his head apparantly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

His ex is pregnant by him? That seems like a lot of complication down the line for you. Especially if he deals with stuff like he has of late. Now it could be a one off shock and thats grand we all have them but I'd be treading carefully. Good luck with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

No the ex is pregnant by someone else, he's just annoyed about it, as he wanted kids.
    Theres no way id be going there if she was pregnant by him

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Babypanda

Every fella i seem to go for has a child, or has done some time in prison, :eek: nd i mean every fella! why can't i just find one tat doesn't have anything in common with the rest of them.
    Do girls attract ceartin types of fellas to them, and that just happens to be the type i attract??:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Babypanda wrote: »
    Every fella i seem to go for has a child, or has done some time in prison, :eek: nd i mean every fella! why can't i just find one tat doesn't have anything in common with the rest of them.
    Do girls attract ceartin types of fellas to them, and that just happens to be the type i attract??:(

I went though a phase when every guy I seemed to attract had a girlfriend or wife!! And it was always they'd come onto me, and then i'd hear later that they had a girlfriend and I'd always come off as the boyfriend stealing b*tch in the story! Maybe thats just coincidence but it did my head in!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

At first thought, I would say no.

Excluding the type who are attracted to anything that has a pulse, the sheer number of small personality quirks that could spark an initial attraction and the potential for those same quirks in a man to link back to different physical characteristics, it's possible and likely (imho) that any woman would have a range of men that would be attracted to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I think the thing you have to work on is not why you attract them, but why they're attractive to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Was gonna go anon for this but feck it, I refuse to empower they gobsheens by hiding.
    Only had two "relationships" (if you can call them that) in my life.

The first was when I was eighteen years old. At the time, I was going through some drama and generally feeling very vulnerable. At college, I had only one 'mate' who later turned out to ony befriend me due to the fact he thought I was 'an easy target'. Things ended viciously when I called him on his assholery and afterwards, I became a virtual recluse.

I met my first 'boyfriend' not long after this incident. Let's call him Jerkoff. Being eighteen, I was young, naive and swept away by the hormonal surge brought on by teenage infatuation.
    Add to this low self-esteem/confidence and abandonment issues and you've the perfect recipe for disaster.

With the dubiously mixed blessing of hindsight, I realise now that I was indeed an easy target for abuse and Jerkoff openly exploited that fact.

He would play mind games, playing on my insecurities by doing things like arranging a date and then denying any knowledge of it whenever I showed up. He would scream at me if I didn't make him his tea or if I wore something he didn't deem as "appropriate" and on more than one occasion, he would slam me up against a door or wall, pinning me with his hand around my neck. The last straw came when, after I understandably spurned his advances, he forced himself on me and left me so bruised I could barely walk.

To this day, I regret not taking steps to report him to the guards. I was so afraid of him and his mood swings that all I could do was pretend it didn't happen. The relationship lasted about 3 months but to me, it felt more like 3 years. I finally managed to break free one day when he started threatening me in front of his mother for spilling wine on the carpet.

I just had enough and walked out of the house. Afterwards, I was such a nervous wreak and paranoid over wheter or not he'd come after me that i had a nervous breakdown. The worst part was feeling unable to tell anyone about what was happening. As far as everyone else was concerned, they simply thought he'd dumped me and I was "playing the martyr".

Ended up being committed for 24 hours to the "high risk" ward in St. Ita's.
    Scared the living bejesus out of me, it did. That day, I vowed to myself that never again would I allow myself to fall into the trap of the "flash bastard".

It would be 3 years until I'd find the courage to talk to another man again.
    Up to that point, I was getting my life back on track and trying to make sense of myself. Alone but slowly learning to find comfort my own skin and company, things were looking up. This time last year, I had a new job, I'd reached a milestone birthday and for the most part, I was on an even kneel for my mental health.

Then I met my second boyfriend. Let's call him Dick.

To this day, I have no clue what attracted me to him. He wasn't remotely attractive to me physically. Prehaps it was the witty banter. :rolleyes:
    Anyways, we arranged for a date and as much as I tried to play it cool, it turned into a whirlwind romance. After 6 weeks, he asked me to move in with him. Being once more giddy with infatuation, I was thrilled at the prospect. My parents? Hmmm. Not so much. They tried to disuade me and urged me to slow down but being a stubborn lady, I didn't heed the warnings and after another 3 weeks, I moved in to his family home.

That's when the trouble started. Between his interfering mother and her psychotic, steroid-popping partner from Hell, I found that co-habitation was not as all was cracked up to be. The magic had gone and reality settled in. Still, I pushed on and tried to make it work. I did everything I could to make reignite the spark but nothing seemed to work.

In short, I was the one putting all the effort into the commitment whilst Dick lazed about playing Xbox, spending all his money on drink, sponging off me and making me feel utterly worthless.

The final straw came when, after 5 months together (about 3 and half spent cohabitating), I moved out due to conflicts with his parents (they didn't like the fact that I stood up for myself and saw through their money-grubbing ways) and we went back to seeing each other semi-regularly.

We'd arranged to go on a date in town but as I'd other things on my plate at the time, I said I'd meet up with him later. Sure enough, I get a "where are you?" call from him a few hours later and it's clear he's drunk off his tree. Turns out by the time I met up with him, he was nearly parayletic and falling over himself.

I ripped into him for that, told him it's me or the drink. He promised to change and begged me to take him back. Like the stupid, naive, clingy, neurotic lonely little girl I am, I agreed. Things were tepid for a few weeks after that until, at the end of last year, the death kneel was sounded when he pulled the same **** on another night out. Kept on dragging me to pub after pub after pub and insisting I prop him up all night.

I'd had enough and stormed out. Ended up breaking it off with him there and then when he reluculently chased after me. Didn't see him again until a few weeks later when he was bragging about his new fangled gadget and asked to meet up. I basically told him to go "**** himself" and left without a backwards glance.

Good riddence to bad apples, I say.

The pair of them can both die in a fire. :mad:

Wheew... got quite emotional writing all that out. So, yar. That's my turbulent love life. Here's hoping the next person I meet isn't such a headtrip. Lord knows I need some positivity in my life...

I went though a phase when every guy I seemed to attract had a girlfriend or wife!! And it was always they'd come onto me, and then i'd hear later that they had a girlfriend and I'd always come off as the boyfriend stealing b*tch in the story! Maybe thats just coincidence but it did my head in!!

:eek: OMG i went through the same thing, wit lots of fella's tat i met nd no matter hw perfect they seem at the time ur wit them ur wait'n for the txt or phone call d next day of some one to tell you that the fella u were just with has a woman.. from now on i think when im talking to a fella im go'na ask the first three questions, Are u Married/ With someone? Have u been in Jail? And do you have children?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

McChubbin wrote: »
    Was gonna go anon for this but feck it, I refuse to empower they gobsheens by hiding.

The first was when I was eighteen years old. At the time, I was going through some drama and generally feeling very vulnerable. At college, I had only one 'mate' who later turned out to ony befriend me due to the fact he thought I was 'an easy target'. Things ended viciously when I called him on his assholery and afterwards, I became a virtual recluse.

I met my first 'boyfriend' not long after this incident. Let's call him Jerkoff. Being eighteen, I was young, naive and swept away by the hormonal surge brought on by teenage infatuation.
    Add to this low self-esteem/confidence and abandonment issues and you've the perfect recipe for disaster.

With the dubiously mixed blessing of hindsight, I realise now that I was indeed an easy target for abuse and Jerkoff openly exploited that fact.

He would play mind games, playing on my insecurities by doing things like arranging a date and then denying any knowledge of it whenever I showed up. He would scream at me if I didn't make him his tea or if I wore something he didn't deem as "appropriate" and on more than one occasion, he would slam me up against a door or wall, pinning me with his hand around my neck. The last straw came when, after I understandably spurned his advances, he forced himself on me and left me so bruised I could barely walk.

To this day, I regret not taking steps to report him to the guards. I was so afraid of him and his mood swings that all I could do was pretend it didn't happen. The relationship lasted about 3 months but to me, it felt more like 3 years. I finally managed to break free one day when he started threatening me in front of his mother for spilling wine on the carpet.

I just had enough and walked out of the house. Afterwards, I was such a nervous wreak and paranoid over wheter or not he'd come after me that i had a nervous breakdown. The worst part was feeling unable to tell anyone about what was happening. As far as everyone else was concerned, they simply thought he'd dumped me and I was "playing the martyr".

Scared the living bejesus out of me, it did. That day, I vowed to myself that never again would I allow myself to fall into the trap of the "flash bastard".

Up to that point, I was getting my life back on track and trying to make sense of myself. Alone but slowly learning to find comfort my own skin and company, things were looking up. This time last year, I had a new job, I'd reached a milestone birthday and for the most part, I was on an even kneel for my mental health.

To this day, I have no clue what attracted me to him. He wasn't remotely attractive to me physically. Prehaps it was the witty banter. :rolleyes:
    Anyways, we arranged for a date and as much as I tried to play it cool, it turned into a whirlwind romance. After 6 weeks, he asked me to move in with him. Being once more giddy with infatuation, I was thrilled at the prospect. My parents? Hmmm. Not so much. They tried to disuade me and urged me to slow down but being a stubborn lady, I didn't heed the warnings and after another 3 weeks, I moved in to his family home.

That's when the trouble started. Between his interfering mother and her psychotic, steroid-popping partner from Hell, I found that co-habitation was not as all was cracked up to be. The magic had gone and reality settled in. Still, I pushed on and tried to make it work. I did everything I could to make reignite the spark but nothing seemed to work.

In short, I was the one putting all the effort into the commitment whilst Dick lazed about playing Xbox, spending all his money on drink, sponging off me and making me feel utterly worthless.

The final straw came when, after 5 months together (about 3 and half spent cohabitating), I moved out due to conflicts with his parents (they didn't like the fact that I stood up for myself and saw through their money-grubbing ways) and we went back to seeing each other semi-regularly.

We'd arranged to go on a date in town but as I'd other things on my plate at the time, I said I'd meet up with him later. Sure enough, I get a "where are you?" call from him a few hours later and it's clear he's drunk off his tree. Turns out by the time I met up with him, he was nearly parayletic and falling over himself.

I ripped into him for that, told him it's me or the drink. He promised to change and begged me to take him back. Like the stupid, naive, clingy, neurotic lonely little girl I am, I agreed. Things were tepid for a few weeks after that until, at the end of last year, the death kneel was sounded when he pulled the same **** on another night out. Kept on dragging me to pub after pub after pub and insisting I prop him up all night.

I'd had enough and stormed out. Ended up breaking it off with him there and then when he reluculently chased after me. Didn't see him again until a few weeks later when he was bragging about his new fangled gadget and asked to meet up. I basically told him to go "**** himself" and left without a backwards glance.

Wheew... got quite emotional writing all that out. So, yar. That's my turbulent love life. Here's hoping the next person I meet isn't such a headtrip. Lord knows I need some positivity in my life...

I hope you dont mind my saying so but Ive just read your post and had to pop one up myself to say that Ive great admiration for you, what youve been through and how you have managed to come out on top. IMO you have managed to do what many women cant in those situation, and think you have shown a lot of strength and courage. You go girl!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

McChubbin wrote: »

Fair play to you for having the courage to post that. And for over-coming such hard times. I hope some of that positivity you're looking for comes about soon, 'cause you do deserve it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,738 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

jaysus that some story right there.
    if i wasnt already a fella id be put off of fellas after reading that!
    fair dues for getting on top of both situations there, amazing stuff.
    but i will say that not all blokes are like the two mentioned there (im prob guna get slated for saying that but what the hell)
    there are 1 or 2 more daycent blokes somewhere in the world (dont ask me where though coz i havent got a scooby doo!):D
    again though, fair dues to you.

papagormo wrote: »
    jaysus that some story right there.
    if i wasnt already a fella id be put off of fellas after reading that!
    fair dues for getting on top of both situations there, amazing stuff.
    but i will say that not all blokes are like the two mentioned there (im prob guna get slated for saying that but what the hell)
    there are 1 or 2 more daycent blokes somewhere in the world (dont ask me where though coz i havent got a scooby doo!):D
    again though, fair dues to you.

I agree with you not all fellas are like tat, there are gud ones out there to and whilest a girl is looking for him he's prob looking for her too..
    So fair due's to tat girl but fair dues to u as well for giving a guys perspective on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Thanks for the kind words. It took a lot outta me to talk about those experiences but I honestly feel it's better to let it out than vent.
    As for finding a decet chap, I'm not that bothered tbh.
    I've wasted enough time already crying over blokes without adding the whole "When will I ever meet my prince"-type worries to the mix...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Babypanda welcome to the Ladies Lounge, but could you not do textspeak please. It's against the charter of the place. Thanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'd say look in different places maybe. As a bloke if I found I kept ending up with, I dunno, women who were nurses or doctors say, and I wanted a change, then I'd stop going to places where nurses and doctors hung out. Or the second I heard that was their job I'd make my excuses and leave.
    I'd agree mostly with Carsinian Thau, but I would add some support for the idea that we can attract a certain type more than others.

What Giselle said;
    Giselle wrote: »
    I think the thing you have to work on is not why you attract them, but why they're attractive to you!
    would be a lot of it. We all have a kinda template in our head of what we find attractive. Childhood experiences, social pressures, the first few people we fell for, that first triggered that oul loving feeling. My first teenage crushes and "first loves" were brunettes and looking back I didnt go with any blondes for years. I mean there are a lot of blondes out there and I knew a few, yet I didnt go for them(missed out on a couple of nice women too. Doh!:D). Subconsciously I selected for brunette.

No doubt subconsciously I selected for personality types too. Again looking back I tended to select for very smart, but insecure women I thought I could help not be insecure. Often women who had been screwed over by other men in the past. Birds with a broken wing types. Sounds "nice" and was genuine on my part, but not so good for me long term, as usually it was all about me helping them, but not looking for that in return so much. So I reckon we all have some good bits and some not so healthy bits in our attraction template.

It can be very hard to see at the time though. I know I couldnt and didnt. At least Babypanda you can see a pattern. That's a start. Now you can change it. One trick I learned from my own life and others. If you have a string of muppets in your past, the next guy you really feel the horn/love for is likely to be another muppet. Listen to your head more than your gut. In my humble and experience women tend to run with "gut" more and put a lot of faith in that. That's grand if you've had pretty ok guys in the past, but if you have a lot of muppets, not so much.

Fair play to McChubbin for that. Talk about the school of hard knocks. As you say though you'll know better next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Well I'm totally head over heels for an ex that appears to be only using me. He texts when he wants something and because of my naivity I always say yes, I just can't say no and a major part of me doesn't even want to say no considering how much I like him.

My previous ex to him asked my best friend for naked photos of herself, which she sent..

My ex ex EX was a mad metallica head so that ended pretty soon..

I'm socially retarded when it comes to boys I like.. I get too shy and awkward :(

I seem to only attract dickheads and "bad boys"..

Actually scrap that - I seem to only BE ATTRACTED to dickheads/bad boys..

Defo not lucky in the aul relationships department :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

How would you feel if you were going out with a guy for a year and he never complimented you?

Niamho! wrote: »
    How would you feel if you were going out with a guy for a year and he never complimented you?
    Angry and a little daft that I stuck around for that long or didnt ask why. Then again I've done similar, you're not alone there. Was with one woman who never stopped picking at me in public. You know the type. The lets go for someone then try to mould him/her. God knows why I stuck around. Young I suppose and thought getting laid made up for it. It didnt and doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 suzy q

Hi everyone,

I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half and everything was great, totally in love, etc. But now I feel all of a sudden that the relationship is failing. I don't feel that he is putting any effort into the relationship now, it has fallen to the bottom of his priority list. I have talked to him about this but he can't see any problems. I am starting to feel quite resentful about this but at the same time, I still love him. Sigh.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Babypanda welcome to the Ladies Lounge, but could you not do textspeak please. It's against the charter of the place. Thanks.
    Sorry im only knew,on't do it again. and sorry again

No worries :) .Not a hanging offence.Yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Misticles wrote: »
    My bf and I were to move in together, not long together, goin out since sept.
    He dosnt live in Dublin so wed only see eachother once a week, every day would I miss you etc

Id love to come home to you and wake up to you, he was the one who suggested we move intogther so I started looking for jobs where he lives, grand, got an interview for a really good job, would of been a great start to my career, told him, he was happy etc

About 2 days later I woke up to a txt sayin Im sorry that he couldnt that he wasnt ready etc, needless to say I flipped, in hindsight I over reacted but the fact he suggested and I was willing to uproot myself for him and him to turn around and say that, just knocked me for six. After a few days of fighting about it, it brough about a whole new arguement.

He start Open University last month, a 4 year degree.
    He works shift work, would have to do his study and assignments for the course, sees me at the weekend- not the full one as I work either saturday or sunday or sometimes both.

So anyways, what came about was him saying he dosnt know if he has time for me with work and study.

I told him to think about that as I wont play second fiddle so to speak considering we only see eachother once a week, its nt much to ask for- which I dont think it is.

I get that he wants to progress with his education and I have my degree already and I wouldn deprive him of that.

So he decided he wanted a break from us...

This co inciding with him starting new meds, theyre making him constantly tired, moany, depressed, everything!!! So the break in a way is good for me ha as I couldn be around him as hes just sleeping and being moody.

I spoke with him today, asked him about the break- how long it will go on for, he says he dosnt know, that he hopes not long.

Im just upset, I didnt think Id miss him as much I do, and it just hurts to think that after this break hel turn around and say he dosnt have time to make a go of our relationship that he wants to put his study first...

and like a sap, Ive done nothing but cry for the last few hours.
    Been smelling his clothes for his smell but its all sniffed out :(

ugh I sound so sad-- oh well.

Was dumped by phone on sunday- dosnt want a relationship- wants to focus on studies! says he loves me!

GUESS WHAT!!! I just found him on a dating site!! kick in the teeth!
    makes me feel like he never loved me at all- infact I dont think he did!

jaysus sounds like you dodged that bullet nicely, he sounds like a whole heap a good for Sweet fuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

he does indeed papa- i pulled him on it and he said oh i just threw it up.
    told him he wrecked a loving relationship to go on there and settle for what he can get!! he can get lost now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

told him he wrecked a loving relationship to go on there and settle for what he can get!! he can get lost now!

Think of all the fun we can have next weekend :D

ladies...giggiddy..
    that is all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

He sounds like a first class a**hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Ok so from some of the threads on here it seems that if i want to find a nice girl i have to have

(A) done time in prison
    (B) have a kid
    (C) already have a wife/girlfriend and be cheating

OK.... i have none of these so it looks like im doomed to be alone! Great :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Ok so from some of the threads on here it seems that if i want to find a nice girl i have to have

(A) done time in prison
    (B) have a kid
    (C) already have a wife/girlfriend and be cheating

OK.... i have none of these so it looks like im doomed to be alone! Great :(

Ha ha ha ha.

Advertisement