Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easterly Blast Part III(potential snow for east)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Heavier snow shower here but only slightly. A bit of sletty rain too. Saw a snow flurry earlier so obviously getting on the wrong side of marginal now at the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Proper snow shower now, light but nice!

These are good signs folks, the showers are going to build all day.

Current sat

ukvis_sat_200801031200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just had a 2 min shower/flurry of snow here in Swords. Didnt last long and didnt stick. It was too light.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,754 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Looking north from a high vantage point in Dublin city centre there seem to be quite a few showers rolling in over the north city & county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

The latest radar shows a marked increase in activity NE of Dublin.

In fact Dublin could be right in the firing line. No flurries here yet!!

A

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

darkman2 wrote: »
    Heavier snow shower here but only slightly. A bit of sletty rain too. Saw a snow flurry earlier so obviously getting on the wrong side of marginal now at the coast.

Yeah - temps up a bit now. They are having rain in parts of the UK with lower temperatures than we have at present, albiet with slightly higher dewpoints.

My ideal scenario would be that wind continues to back a little further north, shower activity builds across Irish Sea this afternoon but showers stay off shore 'til after dark so that temps. fall back a bit, wind drops (a little - need some wind to get activity over the Pennines) so that any showers blown in will have more time to dump their loads! Wishful thinking but here's hoping! :rolleyes:

Have to go away now as this weather is playing absolute havoc with my work today!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

NW radar isn't picking up any of those fluries over dublin. I'm not sure if the premium it costs is worth it- it never seems to be that accurate and picks up way too much anaprop so you never know what is real and what isn't. Meteox do 15 minute updates for free.http://meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

arctictree wrote: »
    The latest radar shows a marked increase in activity NE of Dublin.

In fact Dublin could be right in the firing line. No flurries here yet!!

A
    NW radar keeps showing precip just to the east of dublin at every 15minute interval when I think the dublin radar does a slightly higher-res capture. You can see this on the meteox radar too. The wind is blowing easterly so showers to the NE might miss dublin.

These are good signs folks, the showers are going to build all day.

Current sat

ukvis_sat_200801031200.jpg
    Yeah you can see the convection building rightly on that in the fattest section of the Irish sea from liverpool outwards.A lot of that will be a pepping up again of the stuff pushing acrosss yorkshire which has dried out by the time it gets to liverpool or manchester.
    It soaks up more moisture heading across.

Despite the sunshine down this way the temp is struggling at about 2.5c and a minus dew point,it's all good in the hood...if only the NE wind would pull down some of that precip.
    It would have to be snow if it got here.
    Big ask so far.
    We need the precip to pep up a good bit and it has to about 3pm for signs of that to be happening.
    I'm liking this swing NE in the wind,it can be good

• Advertisement

Temperatures are prime for snow here now, you just need abit of zip into the shower to counteract any of the suns heat, for example if you have a shower the temp will dip!

If we get the wind backing NE, we are in business, it is between now and midnight that we should see some good snow showers, from 3 or 4pm it should really get going!

Oh im getting excited:D Because the Irish sea looks like it is getting its gear on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Looks good - This weather watching is playing havoc with my day job!!

A bit of a streamer going on here atm. Shower one after the other. Mostly light - the odd moderate burst. Mostly sleety snow, hail and some rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

darkman2 wrote: »
    A bit of a streamer going on here atm. Shower one after the other. Mostly light - the odd moderate burst. Mostly sleety snow, hail and some rain.

Ditto here in D15. Nothing you could call pure snow, and quite light, but it has dulled up quite a lot now.

Could we have confirmation of wind directions from ye guys further up north?
    Are ye ENE?

You need that NE element to drift that precip south over Dublin a bit more as opposed to heading into Belfast.

And it's deffo needed down here

edit it's NE down here the whole time which is encouraging.
    The fact that the temp is sitting at 2.5 or so in such a strong sea wind is also good in the hood :)

A fairly decent shower to my east, just heading to the north.

Ronaldsway isle of man is reporting snow showers at 1220

Aint enough beef in the showers just yet, but we have a good 12 hours of really cold air over us and the sea.

Another sprinkling of snow pellets here.

Now i want some proper flakes!

I would say the wind is slightly North of an Easterly direction right not.

I can see some moderate showers coming on shore now though.

• Advertisement

Oh you'll get them.
    Strong precipitation coming in off your part of the Irish sea.

For here looking at the radar I've almost given up to be honest :(
    Theres not even an inkling as yet of some activity in the mid irish sea so curtains for here.
    We may have a NE flow but the North Irish sea has a straight East flow and that seems to be the only shower birthing place at the moment.
    Those will continue to drift in over North Dublin Louth Meath south Down,Armagh and south monaghan.

Enjoy the snow folks.
    I'll be back later :)

Found a stunning 15 minute update satellite.

It shows the veer in the winds well

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Havy soft hail/sleet showers on and off the last hour or so here in Dundalk. No idea of wind direction and I ain't going outside to find out...BBC predicting more significant event for the North tommorow. Gonna be bitingly cold here tonight with heavy frost.
    One thing I'll say, if it does manage to proper snow here today it'll stick....

Oh you'll get them.
    Strong precipitation coming in off your part of the Irish sea.

For here looking at the radar I've almost given up to be honest :(
    Theres not even an inkling as yet of some activity in the mid irish sea so curtains for here.
    We may have a NE flow but the North Irish sea has a straight East flow and that seems to be the only shower birthing place at the moment.
    Those will continue to drift in over North Dublin Louth Meath south Down,Armagh and south monaghan.

Enjoy the snow folks.
    I'll be back later :)

Not like your missing mush anyway unless you like rain with a hint of sleet;)

Found a stunning 15 minute update satellite.

It shows the veer in the winds well

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

That's a brilliant site. Some beefy looking showers to my east/northeast but they never seem to reach here. 2.2c
    The weather widget on my phone says it's currently snowing in Dublin- I wonder if it uses dublin airport for that data-IMG_9000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Wind is steady ENE.
    Thats a good sat pic WC but you see the towers of NE UK,thats what we need to develop for here to see any proper stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Hailstone-type-snow falling here in Drogheda at the minute. Bittery cold and lotsa dark grey clouds building

I can see plenty of moderate snow showers to my north (this time you can see the lines of snow/hail falling out of them) and the nw radar seems to back that up-hiradarzoom2.pl.png

Phew boards is back.

Looking east right now it looks very clear, worringly so.

We need the winds to back NE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

@ 13:00 :

Casement : Snow Shower

Dublin Airport : Snow Shower

Advertisement