Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easterly Blast Part III(potential snow for east)

Options
  • 03-01-2008 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Continue to post on current developments regarding thread title.

Keep on topic'ish as us Irish tend to get excited about the slimmest chance of snow(ok me too) and less singing untill the snow starts falling then singing allowedtongue.gif

Please feel free to start a thread about seperate cold type wintry events (FI included)

So fingers crossed at a short but interesting event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Is that anaprop off Dublin and down the East coast?
    And coming out of south west wales heading westward?
    I would say that is precip alright. We might get it flirting with the east right through the night but not amounting to much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Worth watching the areas of instability or showers as they approach Eastern England and how they develope because those areas will be with us tomorrow. I still think the best chance of snow will be tomorrow evening and for a while tomorrow night. The rest of tonight should be essentially dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well, thats me off for the night - work bekons in the morning - hopefully it snows 6ft overnight and we get an extension to the Christmas Hols! Doubt it tho :o

Back tomorrow evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I couldn't give a flying f*ck about snow, but the wind here since about 5 this evening has been bitter, howling in the chimney, gusting to strong gale straight in off the sea and I'd be surprised if there hasn't been damage somewhere along the east coast. Exceptionally dry though.
    Someone said they saw a snowshower in Ardee earlier today....dunno how accurate that was...certainly was dark enough all damn day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Wertz wrote: »
    I couldn't give a flying f*ck about snow, but the wind here since about 5 this evening has been bitter, howling in the chimney, gusting to strong gale straight in off the sea and I'd be surprised if there hasn't been damage somewhere along the east coast. Exceptionally dry though.
    Someone said they saw a snowshower in Ardee earlier today....dunno how accurate that was...certainly was dark enough all damn day.

Glad you brought that up the wind even this far North has been pretty severe with this easterly since about 4pm only just calmed down bout an hour ago.

The best thing is though round the coast the waves where breakin like crazy with floodin on the coast roads not often we get this wind direction though on the East coast.

Pretty crazy. Sayin that the west was stomy as well I think Malin head had some mad gusts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Its funny actually, I just drove from Dublin City Centre to North County Dublin and the temp on the car leaving the City was 7.5c and dropped to 4c by the time I got home...hardly cold enough for snow? Oh and I left town at about 2am. It did feel pretty cold though in that wind.

I was out all day and didn't get to lurk here or on NW etc, I assume things are looking better for snow - has there been an upgrade since this morning???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It looks like im the lone ranger!!

I actually didnt keep to my promise about my drinking!

Im abit better than New Years but only a tad!..

Off to look at the charts!

the 0z!

The 00z shows SIGNIFIGANT rainfall/snowfall in the east coast.

Temperatures @ 1c dews @ -1c.

Looks like there could be a few centimerters of the white stuff at low levels tomorrow in the east.

Looks pretty amazing really:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Current Met E weather forecast is emphasising snow more for Ulster with wintery showers elsewhere! Currently rain shower at Dublin Airport:(

However, I feel today will be one of those days that something mayhappen! :D Although I am starting to get a little worried about a possible lack of ppn around these parts! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep Met E have said snow on lower ground in Ulster, however what they have also said is
    Friday: Heavy rain will spread from the west during the late morning and afternoon, and may be preceded by snow for a time over the north midlands and Ulster
    There could well be a decent amount of snow in that breakdown even though it will be very brief.

WARNING: Tonight will have severe frosts with temps going as low as -6c inland, thats cold.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think if the wind backed ever so slightly just north of east we would have a far better chance of seeing something in Dublin today.

Showers are packing in to the east of the UK at the moment but there is a very clear line or north/south divide between those having showers and those not. Showers are actually, it appears, moving northwestwards. I also see that the blob of ppn over the north of france is falling as rain or freezing rain despite temps being at or just below freezing.

All the weatherstations I've just looked at on the East coast support snow with temps between 0c and shy of +3c (mothman is 3.5c) but crucially dewpoints around -2c or -3c.
    Those temps and dewpoints are impressive in a near galeforce at times. Northeasterly off the irish sea.
    The north easterly component also lends itself to potential shower distribution along the coast.
    Perfect conditions for the sneachta later really if the temp doesnt rise.I'm guessing it wont rise fiven the cloud and the wind.

(Hope I haven't jinxed this by saying what I've said...oh well)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Showers just starting to form now in the North Irish Sea:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Lets see what happens now....

A

I think south of Louth we may struggle today tbh. The instability over Eastern England pushing west looks a bit far of a Northerly track for my liking :/

Light snow showers at Aldergrove now - lucky them:rolleyes:

All I can say is back wind back!!!

Met E could well be correct if that wind dosn't back a little. Gerry in Glasnevin may not even have to light his blow torch - but I'd say he still has the matches ready!:D

darkman2 wrote: »
    I think south of Louth we may struggle today tbh. The instability over Eastern England pushing west looks a bit far of a Northerly track for my liking :/
    I wouldnt make that assessment untill lunchtime or early afternoon.
    The wind down this way for instance is North East.
    I'd also be thinking the barometer being at circa 1000mb means instability.

That said the ever reliable GFS at 12hrs suggests you are right.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Met E could well be correct if that wind dosn't back a little. Gerry in Glasnevin may not even have to light his blow torch - but I'd say he still has the matches ready!:D
    Oh I'd say he'll need the blow torch at some point because if anything falls out of the sky today in Glasnevin,it won't be shleeeet,it will be snow :)

Some light snow flurries heading towards Down/Louth counties

arctictree wrote: »
    Showers just starting to form now in the North Irish Sea:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Lets see what happens now....

A
    Yes they have appeared out of nowhere-though they are possibly a pepping up of what blew off the north of England overnight.
    They would have died on reaching liverpool bay but would pep up on crossing the warm sea.
    Thats 1000mb instability for you.
    Wind direction up there is due East so I'd say they are slamming into North Dublin northwards.
    It can only be good if they are developing that early.
    I'll be lucky to get a flurry down here I reckon as there are 2 things set against me (1) The wind is blowing off a Dry part of Britain so (2)I'd be relying on the short sea track to create showers-possible but less likely.

Definitely looking good for Dublin northwards though compared to down here and I'd say Gerry might want to borrow a ciggy lighter as matches are unlikely to work well on that roof :D

• Advertisement

Definitely looking good for Dublin northwards though compared to down here and I'd say Gerry might want to borrow a ciggy lighter as matches are unlikely to work well on that roof :D
    You can almost see tomorrows headline
    " Man on top of Met HQ roof gets impailed on that sharp point with what looks like a flame thrower pointing eastwards.Heaven knows why he got up there,but we dont know how much fuel he has left in the flame unit. God speed and keep warm":D

Just had a light flurry here with a definite few flakes there.WooT!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

A few snow flakes falling in the wind there, small flakes though. Lots of dark clouds around with a precip-giving look about them. 2.0c here

I have a light shower coming here - we shall see:rolleyes:

By lunchtime you will see more of them darkman2 and snowbie.They will be blowing into Down louth and meath as well as north Dublin at a pace by then so ye should see a bit of that being on its bottom flank.
    The air down here is too dry so I might see nothing bar a light flurry come evening.

Temp down this way is steady below 3c with a -2c dp.

No precip likely though :(

Another flurry now.

Im watching the Net weather 5 min weather radar and the band that is moving off the north sea has shifted a tad now more from a NW movement to a more WNW.
    As the LP swings into France this should become W then hopefully WSW so you might see a few flakes later on Black Briar. Its not set in stone here yet but really looking forward to this evening.Now praying for the Irish sea to deliver and pep back up the showers which i have confidence in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

In Dublin city lots of heavy looking clouds passing over atm, look to be heading due West,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

JackieChan wrote: »
    In Dublin city lots of heavy looking clouds passing over atm, look to be heading due West,

Yes but they don't have much, if anything, falling out of them- just a few very light flurries. More small flakes falling here now.

Xcweather is useful for following the wind direction and where the showers will go next-http://xcweather.co.uk/

I've been watching a few showers pep up in morecambe bay over the last half hour- they should be heading this way so keep an eye on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

will do.
    I think the first wave is for Danno in Laois so that he gets a little bit of snow later!
    Haven't seen anything fall here in Dublin 8

JackieChan wrote: »
    will do.
    I think the first wave is for Danno in Laois
    Lol is it getting down there via scotty's transporter-being beamed there like?
    Highly highly unlikely that precip is going down there from the irish sea unless activity peps up markedly.

• Advertisement

Just had a light flurry there! And again.

Clouds building up now;)

Advertisement