Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easterly Blast Part III(potential snow for east)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Well after the initial snow flurries last night I ended up with nothing.

It started to snow a bit bout 30mins ago but turned quickly to sleet.

Might take a drive down to Belfast in a mo to take a few pics and maybe have a snowball fight with the local chavs before it all disappears
    later on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Still snowing in Letterkenny with about three inches now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

3 inches of lying snow here!! was very surprised it didn't turn back to rain as predicted. i guess the atlantic got more than it bargained for this time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

The rain has cleared and the sun is about to come out but there's still a good bit of snow on the fields and lawns. 1-2 inches about.
    4.0c

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

clear blue sky with a temperature of 6 degrees. the snowy look is now gone from the sky. it was fun while it lasted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think most of us can agree that this was probably the best Irish snow event (albeit shortlived) since the Weather forum started on boards.ie. Apart from xmas 04, I don't recall such a widespread incident of snow in the last 5/6 years. The fact that so much more of the country got to enjoy snow this morning was an added bonus - my sympathies to those of you reading that did not get any white stuff this time around but as someone said earlier, it is only the start of the potential snow season so here's to more opportunities this winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking at tomorrow, if you have snow on the ground it might survive.

Maxima tomorrow are expected to be 4-5c widely, with dewpoints at 0c in a cool westerly flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭squonk

sounhds like the snow has held on for some people! Brightened up out here now. Cool but not a bad evening. More frost maybe tonight. Wind has died down now.

There will certainly be no terribly mild air over the coming days.

Maxima for Sunday

Rtavn4817.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

slightly over an inch still on the ground and its not really shifting at all now, i reckon it will still be there in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Even in an Easterly the North-West get snow, i give up:p. Although the best snow still seems to have been from those showers last night, if only they'd come further South:(. Back in Bray now and it's a normal dull winters day, looking at the forecasts it doesn't look like it's going to warm up significantly any time soon but if we can't get snow from the last set-up I'm not holding out for anything.

As this thread is nearly complete, i would like to add my small conclusion.

It has often been said it just cannot snow here anymore, this cold snap has proved that it indeed can snow right down to the coastline. At the end of the day where it snows is mostly down to luck once you get all the factors for snowfall.

With a moderate Easterly flow for a mere 36 hours the northeast of Ireland managed to get a thick blanket of snow, just 15 miles north of here recieved a couple of inches.

Many places managed to get as much snow as they did in 2001, if the Easterlies had of lasted longer things would have been really fun.

It has just reinforced the old saying that there's nothing like an easterly for snowfall in Eastern Ireland.

With 7 weeks of winter left there is still ample time for another easterly to set up and hopefully it will last longer then.

Most importantly when watching the next RTE forecast during a cold snap don't beleive em!

They forecast maxima of 4-7c with sleet showers and some snow on high ground.

In reality temperatures ranged from 1-4c with snow showers and accumalations in places of up to 9 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

We got about 2inches of snow ere in kilcock yesterday evening, while 3miles away in Maynooth there only seemed to be a dusting of snow!I heard from a friend, that belfast got a right hammering last night.

Already in the longterm this look positive.

I am anticipating a severe cold spell from mid January :)

UKM 144hr chart
    Rukm1441.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

It has often been said it just cannot snow here anymore, this cold snap has proved that it indeed can snow right down to the coastline. At the end of the day where it snows is mostly down to luck once you get all the factors for snowfall.

With a moderate Easterly flow for a mere 36 hours the northeast of Ireland managed to get a thick blanket of snow, just 15 miles north of here recieved a couple of inches.

Many places managed to get as much snow as they did in 2001, if the Easterlies had of lasted longer things would have been really fun.

It has just reinforced the old saying that there's nothing like an easterly for snowfall in Eastern Ireland.

With 7 weeks of winter left there is still ample time for another easterly to set up and hopefully it will last longer then.

Most importantly when watching the next RTE forecast during a cold snap don't beleive em!

In reality temperatures ranged from 1-4c with snow showers and accumalations in places of up to 9 inches.

Well said WC, good summary.

As we all know here, its all about the charts. If we get the right charts in winter, Ireland can be a snowy wonderland. Imagine that easterly had lasted a week or more?

Also, it was just a matter of chance that Dublin/Wicklow didn't get hit. If the winds were slightly more north of east, we would have got a pasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

All we need is that low to take the same path as the last one and pull in another easterly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

arctictree wrote: »

As we all know here, its all about the charts. If we get the right charts in winter, Ireland can be a snowy wonderland. Imagine that easterly had lasted a week or more?

Also, it was just a matter of chance that Dublin/Wicklow didn't get hit. If the winds were slightly more north of east, we would have got a pasting.

The firat time ever i havent got snow in an easterly. Just wet auld stuff this morning.

No snow around or on kippure. Just remains on the road sides. IF only..... Bring on the next easterly...And it aint far away by todays 12z run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

So so close, and yet so far:(. It was cold enough and the temps up the mountains today were very low. After the rain finished, temps started going down again and there were quite a few icicles around, they're gonna be pretty huge by the end of this week!

The Met have to be conservative sometimes but yes don't beleive em:p. Good summary:)

I am anticipating a severe cold spell from mid January :)

I'm intrigued, go on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

I am anticipating a severe cold spell from mid January

ye cant leave us ponder like that:D:D
    Tell us more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Unfortunately my dialup precludes me from thanking everyone individually in the snow pics treads but i was sneaking peeks at them in work and have to say some of you really got lucky with the snow, it was a real winter wonderland in Louth and Meath it seems.

Huge thanks to those of you that posted your lovely pictures so us snow starved people could drool over them :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Damomanye wrote: »
    ye cant leave us ponder like that:D:D
    Tell us more!!

Nothing concrete yet, i just like the way things are set to evolve.

Lets just say there will be lots of talk of the "Arctic High" on here in the coming days/weeks. Whether it reaches and affects us is yet to be known.

Although i think it will ;)

The temp is fluctuating between 1 and 2c here with a breeze. Looks like there's showers on the way too. If only a slight ground frost formed, the snow which is still on the ground here, would last through the night but I think it's just too mild now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Still some snow on the ground in Dunshaughlin and if anyone in Dunshaughlin know's some muppet with a golf gti who was in the SuperValu carpark today at about half twelve they are an irresponsible moronic w*nkbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Totally agree and we may have to come back to this paragraph in years to come!

I'll correct you a bit here
    Yesterday, maxes ranged 3-8C, though generally 4-6C
    Today, maxes ranged 4-10C, generally 5-9C

Yes, the snow was underplayed (understatement!), but IMO they wern't as far out as some may think.

Met Eireann get a pasting when forecasts are wrong, but through the years here on boards, often Met Eireann have been pasted for bad forecast before an event, and in the end they, Met Eireann were fairly spot on, but do we give them credit then?

We all know how fine a line it is between snow and not. It was a wrong call for some places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The charts don't make the weather.
    How often are the charts correct, and don't follow through with promises.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

lol - check out the ECM at 240hrs

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ecmwf/run/ECM1-240.GIF?04-0

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2401.gif

:D Chance of coming off very slim but what a chart.

And look at this at 192 - I sees an artic high

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1921.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have a feeling that we could see at least one more snow event if not 2 this year, I mean we can't get keep getting disappointed every Winter.

Just remember people charts in FI rarely turn out as expected and where snow is concerned they usually downgrade not upgrade although of course that could change this year.

BTW WC, Darkman and other more expierenced weather nuts I'm off to Stockholm on the 1st of Feb for 3 days so I'll be looking for some heads up for snow before I head, the last 2 winters have starved me of decent snow so a weekend away with the woman was the best excuse I could find to head to Stockholm which I hope will have Snow in Feb.

GDM wrote: »
    Still some snow on the ground in Dunshaughlin and if anyone in Dunshaughlin know's some muppet with a golf gti who was in the SuperValu carpark today at about half twelve they are an irresponsible moronic w*nkbag.

Lol, what did they do? I'm just down the road from you and there's still snow on ground here too but the temp needs to be lower for it to last throught to tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

rc28 wrote: »
    Lol, what did they do? I'm just down the road from you and there's still snow on ground here too but the temp needs to be lower for it to last throught to tomorrow.

They decided it would be a good idea to practice their rally driving skills on the narrow road between the main street and Supervalu and came within an inch of smashing through the drivers side of my dad's car as he was travelling in the opposite direction..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

GDM wrote: »
    They decided it would be a good idea to practice their rally driving skills on the narrow road between the main street and Supervalu and came within an inch of smashing through the drivers side of my dad's car as he was travelling in the opposite direction..
    Sounds like they got their rallying skills just right then.

This is seriously OT guys, lets keep it about the weather please.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement