Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easterly Blast Part III(potential snow for east)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The snow for the last 15 minutes has been a downpour and not of that graupel stuff which has been falling for half of the time, just like after 9.

I saw a recovery vehicle drive up the road with lights and a siren and another car and that's it. The radar shows it weakening but it looks to be hanging in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

ashbourne rathoath and navan and drogheda

But arn't all these places "High Ground"...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

haha im so sad!

I got so excited when i saw about 5 flakes floating around just there.

Them showers to our east that we slagged Longfield about have beefed up in the latest radar shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

Delighted to say here too in Duleek it's still slofty but steadily falling! Footprints from earlier when I was out taking pictures completely covered in again! So hope it will remain for the night!

:)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Snowbie wrote: »
    Just back from my trip.I took the stamullen turn off and headed up to Naul and by Jaysus the road was near impassable.
    Stop just up the road on burnarook road or something the other(sign was covered in snow:D) as i could not get up the hill there.

There was 4 inches on the pavements to my amazement,and the snow was still pouring down.

Met a bloke who was from Swords out there but was stranded as he could not get back due to an impassable dip in the road on the way back to the M1 which i found tricky myself and knew what he meant.

I took a few photos on the phone and will upload them now in the weather pics forum.
    Myself and my two older kids had a ball.:D

Its amazing that Naul etc towards Stamullen is literally 5-10 mins from me.

Except for the 3 cans of Heineken consumed, I would take a spin myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Wow, what a magical evening.

In Ardee, Co. Louth. Snow has more or less been falling since 5pm with little small breaks between the snowfalls.... but when the snowfalls come, they are blizzard-y!!! Was just out walking and wondering at the snow... haven't seen snow like this in a long, long time. Ardee is fairly low-lying afaik and we don't usually get the big snowfalls... can only imagine nearby Drogheda and Dundalk getting pasted :) We got out the tape measure - 4.5 inches of snow on the lawn and it is still falling.

A truly magical evening all round - will put more pix up on the Weather Pictures forum :)

Mothman wrote: »
    But arn't all these places "High Ground"...:rolleyes:
    It's night there too...:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The difference between the haves and have nots tonight is as thin as a thread. Literally a matter of a couple of miles the difference between whiteout and nothing. Happy for those of you that got the snow. Snow is likely tomorrow in those places that have sen lying snow today for a time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the snow is over here and already a very slight thaw, can hear the droplets coming from the roof and the road has become more slushy. Ive put up a few more shots of snow in the pictures section showing the area after the snowfall.

Just when the wind shifts west the showers bubble to the east.!

Freezing up here now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

+0.2C almost an air frost
    DP -3C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

an extra few hours of the easterly would have made the world of difference to us all I think. I prolly would have ended with 8 inchs of snow rather than 4. But as it is this is prolly the most snow I have seen in my area since 1991 and im delighted. I never would have imagined this 24 hour cold snap could have delivered so much. I honestly believe it will be very slim chance of seeing this much snow again this year and I dont really mind now that my snow hunger has been fulfilled. Todays snowfall and the ice day before christmas has ensured that in my area anyway this winter has been the best in a long, long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

wow, I am so jealous of all the people who got snow today. None for me here in Tipp and no suprise at that. I would would be happy to see just a few snow flakes here. Some unexpected but spectacular snow falls in some parts of the east just goes to show how difficult forecating is and how hit and miss the showers are.
    Just wondering what any of you experts think about the chances of snow tommorrow before it turns to rain. Would their be significent falls.

Anywaqy I am happy for those who got snow as I know from looking at these boards regularly how much people on here like snow.:)

The snowshowers seem to be disapering for the meath are, Probably just east ulster for snow now methinks.

Didnt happen for me today, but good to see so many getting a decent dump.
    Good night everybody ;)

Goodnight to ya WC. Hard luck.

I've to take more pictures anyway so I'll make sure I have that done before posting any. I went outside briefly in runners but it was truly impressive. Absolute whiteout and there's snow sticking to three different sides of the house thanks to the shallow LP!

I measured 13 cm on the lawn, that's over 5 inches.

The car roof had 8 cm, and it lost 2 hours of snow this afternoon when it was used to go to Drogheda, where it blew off.

Last time I checked it was still snowing, but it may have died out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

No snow falling here for a while, have posted new photos in the other thread. The roads are treacherous and it's a real wonderland out there:D
    For others who didn't get snow, your time will come someday. I've been waitng since the xmas 2000 snow for something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

even the xmas 2000 snow wasnt as good as this altho this event will be washed away by 2moro afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just when the wind shifts west the showers bubble to the east.!

Freezing up here now.
    Yup,its the cold wind coming off Ireland now thats mixing with the Irish sea temps thats creating the showers.

Unfortunately they are pushing north being dragged up by the shallow LP.

No one was expecting the shallow LP to form in the sea which peped up the showers now mostly over NI.
    I did see my wind going NW down here at tea time but was unaware the system had developed.
    Again it had to track north.It would have been a different had it moved south.Typical.

Just goes to show you the Irish sea is enough to produce events like this catching everyone out.A simple cold wind flow over the sea is all it takes.
    Brilliant event today but i had to travel to get my snow fix again.Ahwell maybe next time i could step out into the yard.

The easterly still lives.

2 months to go for winter and today can still happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I hate you all, you Meath and Louth people!!! :rolleyes:

I don't remember snow lying on the ground here in Waterford since about 1985 or 1986, when I remember a good fall.

Even at Christmas, end 2000 when the rest of the country got covered, we escaped... unfortunately.

One day last year (or late 2006, I don't remember), we had a few flurries, but they disappeared as quickly as the clouds that carried them.

Oh for a beautiful covering of white (insert teardrop emoticon here...)

• Advertisement

Northern Ireland is now getting it alot worse, there must be nearly 8 inchs in parts around Belfast with more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

WTF? I've been looking at that lump of yellow/green floating over N Louth the last three hours but looking outside we've not had more than a mm or two of snow or anythng else. False echo?
    Drogheda and Ardee might be getting it, Dundalk certainly isn't at least not since around 9pm last night...I'm off to bed.

I'm off to the leaba now. The snow stopped close to 1. There was a decent snowfall between 9 and 12, which has finally left almost 3 inches on the driveway and 5 on the lawn.

I notice now that there's the odd glistening in the air beside any light. I think they're tiny ice crystals. It feels very nippy now with the breeze and the coldest I've ever felt while under full cloud cover.

I managed to get a few snaps of the completed snow before the battery died on the other one:rolleyes: I shall get some early tomorrow morning.

Never did I think a random feeling over a week ago would end up as the best snowfall since 1996 for south Louth!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Clear night and no snow in the West...

But it did go down to -4.3 overnight which is pretty low considering location is about 300m from the sea !

Presently -3.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

The west as usual has missed out on snow :-( Heavy frost but coast roads dry and no ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Keep an eye in the West this morning and North West as that front approaches you might see snow, it won't stay but might be nice to see it falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

about 1cm on the floor and snowing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep that front does look like giving snow as it meets the cold air, anyone else in the West seeing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Villain wrote: »
    Yep that front does look like giving snow as it meets the cold air, anyone else in the West seeing anything?

LOL just looked out -

Snowing heavily in Oranmore

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Galway city newsflash!
    Just started bucketing down snow, sticking easily on the frosty ground

Advertisement