Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easterly Blast Part III(potential snow for east)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

If I were you I would head for Staunton's and get a nice hot whiskey from Ger !
    On a serious note the roads are very bad right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭arctictree

Why did Met Eireann get it wrong for so long?

Because:

A) The models are uncertain beyond 3 or 4 days, and they dont want to get it wrong
    B) They are concerned that events may be cancelled and then it doesn't snow at all

BTW, I could have forecast todays temporary snow in the east, but they only mentioned sleet/snow in the west/midlands yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Castlebar sounds great. Has stopped snowing here, I presume that's the gap in the radar. Hopefully the heavier stuff later will still be snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

it is now snowing here in cavan town

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Great idea. Thanks :-) Need to get cigs so the pub's the place. Can walk to the Tavern though lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

drizzely sleet/rain here now, very light.

uploading a final set of pics to the pictures section.

A very short lived snow event but what a great event it turned out to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Still snow falling quite heavily in Ox Mountains, Sligo. The flakes are much larger now than an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

No precip falling here- just snow from the trees. Still 0.0c

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Getting heavy in Leterkenny now. I'll get a few pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

very intense squally cold front after passing through Cork city in last 20 minutes accompanied by really heavy rain and hail...a lot of flash flooding around here traffic outside work brought to a crawl..lots of surface water in fields...was quite impressive..everyone in office was gawking out window for 5 minutes or so!! that was my weather moment of the day...no snow for us!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Stopped snowing here. did not turn to rain. brightening up now. I assume rain on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Pissing down sleet in Dundalk now, lying snow was already starting to recede after the wind picked up an hour or two ago. Nice while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Heavy snow shower in Kells right now

Beleive it or not the sun just broke through here a few minutes ago. Very nice with about 3 inches of snow on the ground.

Sleeting now but mainly rain, 0.3c:( Can't complain though after what we got.

Edit: In fact the raindrops are big, nothing but heavy rain now. The upper air must be very mild for it to snow at 0.3c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its bucketing down rain here now, snow melt is still very slow tho. Looks like RTE were correct tho in predicting the snow with the rain belt in the west of the country and it mostly rain in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    its bucketing down rain here now, snow melt is still very slow tho. Looks like RTE were correct tho in predicting the snow with the rain belt in the west of the country and it mostly rain in the east.

The southeasterly winds are off the land in the NW while here they are off the sea, that makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Heavy rain here at Kippure now:( All snow gone.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Loads of Snow in Meath last night!

DSC01401.JPG

DSC01417.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Could quite possibly snow in March.Met Eireann are predicting a mild February only for a cold snap like March 2006 to hit the country.This usually means a bright,warm summer in June/July and a cooler August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Link blackbelt, the Met wouldn't usually give long range like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Lashing rain in Oranmore now, 3.3 C

If I had a lie in today(cos I'm off work this week) I wouldn't have known there was snow - not a trace left !

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Had around 1 inch snow here in around 2 hours. Took us over an hour to go and collect the kids from school. They had rang to say come and collect them. Car temps showing -1.5 degrees. Its just easing off now though, but still snow and no rain.

there was some austrailen or new zealand based amateur forecaster on the radio yesterday (dunno what station it was) and he was predicting a very mild february for Ireland and a bitterly cold March and early April with cool conditions lasting into the beginning of June followed by another wet and cooler than average summer. He said we are currently going thru a cycle of mild winters, cold springs and late summers and that this cycle will end around 2012 with a return to cold winters and warm summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Read it in the Independent before Christmas.Just citing what I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah right, predictions like that are wild guesses based la nina and temps at sea etc, I wouldn't pay much attention to them. That NZ guy goes by the position of the moon, he has been right and wrong in the past, he reckons we will get our coldest spell on the 17th January with Snow up north because that is the time when the Moon is furthest from the earth to the north!

raining here again after it stopped nearly 40 minutes ago. Still plenty of snow on the ground though. 1.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Very heavy rain here at the moment, just west of Mt Leinster, with strong winds. Very strong gusts.

about 1 to 1.5 inchs have melted now, still a good 3 inchs left on the ground, still cant see any blades of grass except where we walked on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

:D
    trogdor wrote: »
    Heavy rain here at Kippure now:( All snow gone.

Yeah - just back from a trip up there. Went up to Sally Gap and the gates of Kippure. Not a trace or a sign of snow (despite what Jim Fahey just said on the news) just heavy rain and ap. +2.0c on the car thermo. Could just about see the summit of Kippure between the rain and no sign of anything on the summit.

On my way back heard Gerry doing the forecast on the radio - 'shleeeet and shnoooow to high ground' - they must have him on a loop in there! :D

Also heard the radio forecast this morning and she (don't know her name - the new one) said that the cold/wintery spell had materialised as predicted over the last few days! :eek: A joke I presume! ;)

Advertisement