Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easterly Blast Prospect Thread :

Options

Comments

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
    But the fire is so delightful,
    And since we've no place to go,
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

It doesn't show signs of stopping
    And I've bought some corn for popping,
    The lights are turned way down low,

When we finally kiss goodnight,
    How I'll hate going out in the storm!
    But if you'll really hold me tight,
    All the way home I'll be warm.

The fire is slowly dying,
    And, my dear, we're still good-bying,
    But as long as you love me so,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Oh the weather outside is frightful,

Bloody mad you are!! :rolleyes:......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ahem!
    We're discussing an easterly here.
    Away with talk of westerlies :D

East or West, it's all good here in Laois!

56 viewing the forum tonight-we're popular :)

Danno I don't know about tomorrows precip getting inland as far as Durrow.
    Tomorrows airflow will be slightly North east which may mean the wicklow mountains will dry out the showers en route to you.

They will be potentially big though so thats good.
    Best place to be probably will be up at artictree's or longfields gaff :)

Longfield Sing up!

The weather outside is delightfull...
    Lets change the words

Theres nothing frightfull about whats coming - Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

All getting very jolly here!

And I still have the Christmas lights around the house. Hope to get some lovely pics tomorrow!

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

56 viewing the forum tonight-we're popular :)
    It got to 74 earlier

Is that the words to that song,what have i been singing all these years:D

Wicklow Mtns shouldn't affect us here in Laois that much really. They havn't done so in the past. So does anyone think that the dying front in the south tomorrow can have enough power to track north and give some snow?

Tbh Danno,id wish for that to stay well south as it would kill off the shower activity over the sea or push it more northwards at the least.

Them fronts only deliver when it is pushed up against true siberian air,1982 style.

Very unlikely-that front is going to stay put.
    Danno what I meant was really that precip from the north east has to spill its load on the way south westwards and to be frank that means it's going to be weaker 50 or 60 miles inland.

If the precip passes over the wicklow mts on route to laois,then it's going to be pretty wasted agin it gets there.
    You could be lucky but then if you are areas inland further east are going to get plastered...

We'll see anyway.
    I wouldnt want to be wishing the snow away from you,I sincerely hope you get loads.I'm just not putting you in one of the most favoured areas which tomorrow would be meath,Dublin,Louth perhaps north Wicklow.
    Maybe East and north wexford and the rest of Wicklow especially east wicklow.
    Maybe carlow aswell especially obviously East carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Aint so hopefull on the 18z but what run could you trust at such short notice?

Anywhere could and probably will still see snow showers.

The set-up next week looks tasty but that is for another day or another thread:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I work near Greystones in Wicklow and then drive back to East Carlow border so lets hope I'll see some tomorrow evening on the way home at 5 or if not Friday morning at 6:30 am!

I know what you are saying about the precip spilling it's contents en route, but in this kinda setup - there is alot going for me here - closer to the centre of low pressure than say those in Dublin - this is better for keeping instability going, (in a Northerly setup - I would be at a disadvantage.)
    Plus the Wicklow Mtns and Castlecomer Pleatau will actually aid mixing in the air with lift etc...
    Remember last year when the Irish Sea got going with a large area of precipitation that came in over Dublin and lasted the whole joyrney down the N8 to Cork. Not even the mighty Galtees knocked that one out! :D

Uhm if theres no snow en route from greystones to East carlow at least somewhere on that route between 5 and 6pm or whatever length that journey takes I'll have to eat my hat.
    By 6pm in the evening proceedings should be well underway and assuming the route goes across rathdrum-clash aughrim-tinahely-hacketstown area ,there could be some very dodgy roads both coming and going-especially the following morning.

Villain wrote: »
    I work near Greystones in Wicklow and then drive back to East Carlow border so lets hope I'll see some tomorrow evening on the way home at 5 or if not Friday morning at 6:30 am!

You're not driving over the Wicklow Gap - are you?! Keep an eye on the forecast!

Music to my ear Black Briar and yep thats the route, although I could go Annamoe and across Glendalough which is more likely to give me snow in your opinion?

Danno wrote: »
    I know what you are saying about the precip spilling it's contents en route, but in this kinda setup - there is alot going for me here - closer to the centre of low pressure than say those in Dublin - this is better for keeping instability going, (in a Northerly setup - I would be at a disadvantage.)
    Plus the Wicklow Mtns and Castlecomer Pleatau will actually aid mixing in the air with lift etc...
    Remember last year when the Irish Sea got going with a large area of precipitation that came in over Dublin and lasted the whole joyrney down the N8 to Cork. Not even the mighty Galtees knocked that one out! :D
    Given that I expect the minus dewpoints this time to make the precip in Dublin snow,you must be expecting white outs in dublin for the precip to be that strong down in laois.
    I doubt it but best of luck!

Incidently I doubt there will be more than 5mb of a pressure difference between you and Dublin tomorrow so that wont be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Where's Weathercheck?? I actually miss his ramping!!! Wouldn't he usually be getting VERY excited about now?? Especially since he is on the East Coast.. Right in the firing line by the looks of things!!! :D:D

Am I not ramping enough for you...

:(:(:(

I try my best :D:D:D

Given that I expect the minus dewpoints this time to make the precip in Dublin snow,you must be expecting white outs in dublin for the precip to be that strong down in laois.

Incidently I doubt there will be more than 5mb of a pressure difference between you and Dublin tomorrow so that wont be a factor.

You probably are right there - but I have seen these scenarios before where precip peps up as it moves inland.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents here.

Last year, can't remember exactly when (and cant find the thread!), there was a night with a similar setup. We were all waiting for precip to bubble up off the Irish sea. We waited and waited and were just getting a few showers on the coast and then we gave up as it was getting late.

Early next morning we woke up to reports of heavy snow in Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipp and all the way to Abbeyfeale in Limerick. It seems the precip just arrived from nowhere.

Point is, the weather can do the least expected thing at the last moment!

• Advertisement

Thats the event I am harping on about arctictree!

arctictree wrote: »
    You're not driving over the Wicklow Gap - are you?! Keep an eye on the forecast!

Normally go Glenealy, Rathdrum, Aughrim, Tinahely and Shilleagh but I could go over the Wicklow if its needed to see snow!

Danno wrote: »
    Thats the event I am harping on about arctictree!

This is very different artictree,it's not the same at all.
    pressure is much lower than that episode last year and there are disturbances moving out from southern scotland and northern England into the irish sea.
    Very very differnt synoptics.

I can hear Ian Paisley shouting now from the living room.
    Hell fire and damnation heavy snow must be coming :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Howdy, am off out for a while as i really don't think there will be any precip around this evening, maybe some by morning..

Will have a post around 3am!

And then from 10am tomorrow, i am restricting my intake of alcohol tonight because of this cold snap, it better deliver.

Now back to drinking with my mates! I had to take a computer check!!:D

This is very different artictree,it's not the same at all.
    pressure is much lower than that episode last year and there are disturbances moving out from southern scotland and northern England into the irish sea.
    Very very differnt synoptics.

Which is why I am happy! I was dismissing this event from the outset and only in the last 24 hours have I come onboard!

Where's Weathercheck?? I actually miss his ramping!!! Wouldn't he usually be getting VERY excited about now?? Especially since he is on the East Coast.. Right in the firing line by the looks of things!!! :D:D
    Stuck into the books studying to be a meteorologist:D
    or trying to get his ban lifted on NW:D:D

ah there he is.
    Lets all celebrate the forthcoming,Black Briar and i have already started on the juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Villain wrote: »
    Music to my ear Black Briar and yep thats the route, although I could go Annamoe and across Glendalough which is more likely to give me snow in your opinion?

I think you would be insane to go via Annamoe and Glendalough unless you drive a 4x4 if there is precipitation. If there is any precipitation, and that's a big if, then it will probably settle around here tomorrow making the roads lethal.

Plenty of height down in Rathdrum to see some nice snow (again IF there is any precipitation), but at least is likely to be a safer drive as I don't think there will be any settling stuff there.

Going across the mountains tomorrow might be foolhardy in these conditions unless you know the roads like the back of your hand and have a car equipped to handle icy conditions. Even if thers no snow, the mountain roads around Glendalough are always wet and at night will be icy.

Latest BBC forecast after the 10 news showed it dry on the east of Ireland all day tomorrow so I think its far from a foregone conclusion that there will be any widespread snow.
    Its very much going to be a nowcast situation - keep an eye on those radar charts before making any journeys around hilly areas.

The webcam on my site is set to update every 30 mins so you'll be able to see if there's any settling snow around these parts :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Have a Subaru Legacy All Wheel Drive and know the road well, I'll see how the day goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm still holding fire on what's to happen. I've quite a lot to be optimistic about, on a hill in Co. Louth with sight of the sea ENE of me.

I'm going to wait with baited breath and maybe I'll sing tomorrow:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement