Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easterly Blast Prospect Thread :

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Snow/Sleet in the east but will be short lived? look at those wind speeds though ;)

I refuse to watch...
    But fill me in.

Will I need sunscreen and an umberella?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

More snow showers tomorrow evening/night according to them.
    The graphics showed the east of the country (from louth to wexford) under snow showers for later tomorrow. Sleet during the day though.

Tell me he said snow and high ground together.
    I need some continuity in my life.
    I need to know things never change with Gerry...

Tell me he said snow and high ground together.
    I need some continuity in my life.
    I need to know things never change with Gerry...
    Lol
    Actually it wasn't too bad- he said sleet showers during the day and then becoming snow , he didn't say it would ONLY be confined to higher ground.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

RTE Very interesting indeed. Tomorrow night especially snowy looking east of the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thats is the first time in a long time I have seen RTE Weather with Dark Grey clouds and snow under them, for the East Coast Tomorrow night. :D

Folks what you are withnessing tonight is very rare in the East.
    A strong wind off the sea yet the temperature is steadily dropping as is the dew point.

The percentage of hans christian anderson in it is rising by the hour :)

This mulled wine is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

From looking at the charts he showed, there could be some substantial falls tomorrow afternoon/evening in the east.

The REALPlayer playback feature should be available by 725pm.

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote: »
    Lol
    Actually it wasn't too bad- he said sleet showers during the day and then becoming snow , he didn't say it would ONLY be confined to higher ground.:)
    God the world is going to end.
    Oh no...

Someone take a picture tomorrow of Gerry.
    He'll be up on the roof of glasnevin with a blow torch dancing trying to blast every flake :D

arctictree wrote: »
    From looking at the charts he showed, there could be some substantial falls tomorrow afternoon/evening in the east.

Their graphics are confusing, he definitely said snow showers but the icons make it look like an organised band of snow- not showers.

Three things that really stood out to me were:

1 The use of the L symbol over the Welsh/England border area
    2 The use of the trough line over the Southern pennines/UK Mids area
    3 The precip chart showing the troughline enhancing as it crosses the Irish sea.

arctictree wrote: »
    This is all good.
    They must be expecting some of the north sea stuff to pep up as it crosses the irish sea.
    Good news - enjoy :)

The flow bends from Southampton - > Liverpool -> Dublin -> Midlands on those charts - not too much modification and quite a cool run of air.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

hmm, anyone with net weather high res radar?, too my mind the uk metoffice radar is starting to show a few blue blobs appearing in the Irish sea, these can only get bigger as the night goes on to my mind.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Longfield wrote: »
    hmm, anyone with net weather high res radar?, too my mind the uk metoffice radar is starting to show a few blue blobs appearing in the Irish sea, these can only get bigger as the night goes on to my mind.

We might see a few showers even tonight. But we must get a good nights frost aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A severe ground frost would do it, with min temps tomorrow with little or no cloud cover. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Folks what you are withnessing tonight is very rare in the East.
    A strong wind off the sea yet the temperature is steadily dropping as is the dew point.

The percentage of hans christian anderson in it is rising by the hour :)

This mulled wine is lovely.

The wind has really picked up here in last couple of hours and startin to feel bitterly cold. Temp is down to 4 dew -1 brrrrr

Everyone will be lampost watchin later for the first snow flurry:D

Ohh look at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html and flick between 18:30 and 19:00 - definate development there, and no prizes for guessing where those bad boys will end up later tonight..lamppost watch is on! (well run around outside shining a torch into the sky for me).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

repr wrote: »
    The wind has really picked up here in last couple of hours and startin to feel bitterly cold. Temp is down to 4 dew -1 brrrrr

Everyone will be lampost watchin later for the first snow flurry:D
    Yes, even to just see snow falling would make me happy, i don't mind if it doesn't stick. The nw extra radar is showing the first wintry shower over ireland- a very light sleet shower is west of the wicklow mts apparently (EDIT: Gonre now but is showing small snow shower over dublin mts and sleet shower approaching dublin). Don't know how accurate it is but it's also showing a good few light snow showers over north wales, east scotland and a few on the east coast of England.

Woo hoo, 1000 posts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember conditions very similar to tonight way back in 1987 I think it was, cloudy night like tonight about 4C, isolated snow showers was forecast for here by rte and bbc etc but we ended up getting about 6 inchs of snow from continuous showers that materialised over the Irish Sea, I would love if something similar to that happend to us tonight/2moro but I dont think it will. Hopefully we shud see a few decent snow showers tho.

Got a new 500w halogen lamp installed over the back door tonight - if one flake passes within 20m of the back of the house it won't be missed!!!

RTE 6.57pm online: http://www.rte.ie/news/6news/ - bottom of the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Met eireann can't handle the excitement - their website is down...

BigCon - what town are you near?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hey folks,

Earlier today i really thought this cold spell would fizzle to nothing but a few late minor upgrades have saved us.

The cold air has already moved into the east with Dublin Airport @ 5c and DP of 0c.

The cold will begin to dig in through the night on a bitter easterly breeze, what will be so exceptional about tomorrow is the sheer cold.

There will be a gale force gusting Easterly wind but i would expect a maximum of no more than 3c on the coast. With negative dewpoints.

The UKM suggest really severe temperatures tomorrow night, perhaps down to -7c.

It is radar watching time, i expect the atmoshphere to be capable of snow by midnight.

Nice showers in the Irish sea alright, interesting indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Longfield wrote: »

Latest

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6782/netweather2hw5.png

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/694/netweather1hj6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I love the fact that Gerry Murphy actually hates the word snow! Maybe years of hurt for him too!

Sleet, sleet! The problem won't be sleet IMO, it will be if there is precip!

Just watched it, he nearly forgot to mention higher ground!

"they then may turn to snow in evening.... especially over higher ground.. good night" :D

thanks repr, interesting images, very nice resolution on them. I'll subscribe to them when i get broadband here (hopefully in the next two weeks).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like there might be another chance for snow next tuesday and wednesday, next week is gonna be far from warm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement