Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be Irish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    TBH the riverdance would definately definately DEFINATELY be the thing that would make me most proud to be Irish. I've got such an incredible passion for Irish dancing no one could ever understand. Sure during the summer I must have watched it on DVD about 40 times! The music, the hard work and evergy, the thrill, everything about it....it's so inspiring. I know I probably sound like a weirdo here but it's absolutely amazing!!! As corny as this sounds, it's also one of the most beautiful things in the world...ha! I've gone too far! :rolleyes:

I can understand where your coming from. Although I'm not an Irish dancing fantantic I look at Judo with the same awe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Personally, I find the whole idea of nationality quite irrelevant in today's world. I wonder are the big US banks who are selling themselves to the Chinese worried that in a couple of years, the average American (not to mention US government agencies who also borrow from banks) will be repaying their debt to some Chinese banker in Beijing? Nationality how are you.

I don't feel the need to cry when I hear the national anthem and I feel sorry for those people who get tingles down their spines when they see Riverdance on TV. I don't know what the alternative is though. New world order? I wouldn't be willing to risk a break-down in this idea of 'nationality', because who knows what the alternative might be like -- the world is scary enough! So I would therefore have to resign myself to supporting (to a limited extent - i.e. don't expect me to go to war) the Irish nation and the UK/Europe (both of which I have an affinity towards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Cantab. wrote: »
    I feel sorry for those people who get tingles down their spines when they see Riverdance on TV.

Eh, why would you feel sorry for those people? It's like football with lads, go to a match over in england, and look around at some of the supporters faces after a loss. Some of them are close to tears. Thats what passions all about. If you're gonna "feel sorry" for them just because you may think it's gay or whatever then you're pretty ignorant tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cantab. wrote: »
    Personally, I find the whole idea of nationality quite irrelevant in today's world. I wonder are the big US banks who are selling themselves to the Chinese worried that in a couple of years, the average American (not to mention US government agencies who also borrow from banks) will be repaying their debt to some Chinese banker in Beijing? Nationality how are you.

I don't feel the need to cry when I hear the national anthem and I feel sorry for those people who get tingles down their spines when they see Riverdance on TV. I don't know what the alternative is though. New world order? I wouldn't be willing to risk a break-down in this idea of 'nationality', because who knows what the alternative might be like -- the world is scary enough! So I would therefore have to resign myself to supporting (to a limited extent - i.e. don't expect me to go to war) the Irish nation and the UK/Europe (both of which I have an affinity towards).

LIZARD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

im ashamed to be irish, that why i left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Sorry but look at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t26UA4INTcs
    Never actually realised how good they were. Nice to see that now it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Eh, why would you feel sorry for those people? It's like football with lads, go to a match over in england, and look around at some of the supporters faces after a loss. Some of them are close to tears. Thats what passions all about. If you're gonna "feel sorry" for them just because you may think it's gay or whatever then you're pretty ignorant tbh.

We are all tribal whether we like it or not. Perhaps we are too comfortable in 2007, soon to be 2008. Just mention the word patriotism in the US and they start singing the "star spangled banner" and ask "where do we go to join up"? We Irish are no different, nationality gives a sense of belonging, identity and culture. You just cannot get away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Mairt wrote: »
    I can understand where your coming from. Although I'm not an Irish dancing fantantic I look at Judo with the same awe.

And from an earlier post you made, you can be proud of YOUR CONTRIBUTION to what Ireland is today.

To take an example from earlier posts, my brother can be proud of representing Ireland as part of UNIFIL & KFOR. I can't because I wasn't there. For me to claim pride at the Army's performance overseas it to claim something I've no right to. It would be like me wearing my brothers UN medals and claiming I had a right to simply because I'm Irish too.

All that gets me about this thread is people claiming pride in someone elses achievements. Achievements of your children/grandchildren you can take pride in as you've contributed to their development.

I can't take pride in Riverdance because my first involvement in it was when I saw it on the telly. How can I claim anything for myself? Ditto any great achievement by other Irish people.

I'm proud of the little bit I've done to make Ireland a better place.

To put it another way, has a drug dealing criminal scumbag a right to be proud to be Irish? All he's done is made it a worse place. For this very reason, simply being Irish shouldn't bestow anything.

For the record I'm bloody glad I'm Irish. It's a great country to live in, and if you live elsewhere, it's a great country to come from.

I enjoy seeing Ireland and Irish people succeed. It gives confidence that the rest of us can do well. That's different to pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lollilollilolli

Came across the original Riverdance clip from Eurovision '94, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Mc03_rlWo

proud to be Irish is all i can say.

So....

what makes you proud to be Irish? Anything you want, person, place, event, thing, food, drink... yore ma(mmy) even!! Positivity please!

The riverdance makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up it makes me burst with pride

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

utick wrote: »

Why are you ashamed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

The riverdance makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up it makes me burst with pride

Riverdance makes me slightly nauseous, but to each their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good ridence, try Lagos the next time you leave somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

See I've no time for that sh*t either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I think one's nationality is as much a part of someone as their hair, their sense of humour or their interests. The culture, history and habits of Ireland influence Irish people in almost every aspect of our lives, in ways that are probably impossible to quantify. In different ways, to different extents, we are all (well, most of us) Irish. Whether it's the tea we drink, the music we listen to, the conversations we have, the people we know, even the jobs we have - we are all products of Ireland. Maybe it's not entirely rational, but to me it's perfectly valid that people should take pride/feel ashamed at their Irishness, because it is a genuine part of who we all are.

I'm proud to be Irish, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

To address the Dudess/Other posters debate earlier, I think it was pretty plain to see that Dudess was making a fairly logical point, that if you don't feel ashamed by "things done by other people that also happen to be Irish"(e.g. Omagh), then to the same extent, she finds it hard to see why you would take pride in "things done by other people that also happen to be Irish" (e.g. Riverdance). From what I read, too, she didn't seem to be attacking anyone, just asking how you would feel pride for something accomplished by someone with whom you have no tangible connection (unlike a family member/friend)

However, I do feel pride in being Irish. I love the fact that people instantly warm to you throughout most of the world when they hear you’re Irish. I love our neutrality, both politically and in the easy going nature of most of the population. What I'm most proud of is can only be summed up with the word "craic". That certain joie de vivre that no other nation could have a word for (:D:P)

Dudess, to answer your question of how/why could I be proud to be Irish? I suppose for me, it's because the link I share with another Irish person is far less tenuous than just happening to be born in the same country. For me, the country I was born in has a very strong impact on who I am as a person. While you might argue that it's just a bit of land with lines drawn around it by governments, to me a country's characteristics and personality are made up of the characteristics, personalities, actions, loves/hates etc. of it's people. These people both helped mould the national identity, and were moulded by it, as was I. And this is the "Irishness" I think we share, and this is why I feel pride in things that were accomplished or created by "Irishness".

I suppose the best way I could sum it up is the proverb "It takes a village to raise a child." I'm proud of my village.

Very well put. And there are certainly plenty of great things about coming from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

The-Rigger wrote: »
    LIZARD!

;) Like it

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Heck, we don't even really celebrate our patron saint's day!

But we celebrate St. Patrick's. Why is that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Livvie wrote: »
    But we celebrate St. Patrick's. Why is that? :)

Better reason to have a pi55 up!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Better reason to have a pi55 up!

I think it's that we recognise that the Irish are more capable of having fun. Like the Scots. I'd love to be in Scotland tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Livvie wrote: »
    Like the Scots. I'd love to be in Scotland tonight.

So would I, the OH isn't really a drinker and she is the driver, so for the first time in 30ish years I'm staying in on NYE :mad:

We did have the offer of going down to her brother he has his own bar in the back garden, complete with barrels and pumps! :p

Oh well Happy blooming New Year everyone!

DJ Spider

We did have the offer of going down to her brother he has his own bar in the back garden, complete with barrels and pumps!
    Aw sickener! Well, happy new year anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mairt wrote: »

Judo for life!

Also, Ireland for life.

My greatest accomplishments thus far.

(1) Being Irish.
    (2) Training judo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

Judo is the most pathetic of all the martial arts.
    100 different ways to trip somebody give me a break.
    It's mostly for kids and over weight women.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I ****in love being Irish, nothing in particular about it, it's just great. We're a great bunch!! Wouldn't change it for the world!!

Fr Ted Christmas special - just watching that makes me proud to be Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I am proud to be Irish, I love my country, but does it love me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Tayto.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think that might be one for PI, Bunny Shooter ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Judo is the most pathetic of all the martial arts.
    100 different ways to trip somebody give me a break.
    It's mostly for kids and over weight women.

I'll pretend you didn't say that. You don't want an army of overweight women and children tripping you six ways 'til Sunday.

Behold the beauty that is judo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPLCHw9QeAA

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely a better video to post would have been one that didn't include 100 different ways of tripping people.
    kind of proved his point.
    although my dogs name is judo, so I'm not exactly going to bitch.

Advertisement