Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be Irish

Options
  • 26-12-2007 6:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭

Came across the original Riverdance clip from Eurovision '94, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Mc03_rlWo

proud to be Irish is all i can say.

So....

what makes you proud to be Irish? Anything you want, person, place, event, thing, food, drink... yore ma(mmy) even!! Positivity please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Can't think of much to be proud of, but it beats being English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Hmmmm....it's a start i suppose!! Jaysus what is with people! If this was a "scumbag-attempted-robbery on the Luas" we'd have 50 replies already giving out loads! Trying to inject some positivity and sense of national identity into AH! Come on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

FruitLover wrote: »

says more about you rather than anything about being irish or english tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

That we have a heritage everyone else wants a piece of I guess lol.

Without entering into any touchy debates I am proud of where 'we' came from and what 'we' have achieved as a country.

Now Bertie....he'd be on the other list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Um... hurling I suppose. And the fact that we're all a great bunch of lads and lassies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Our great pub scene, the stunning scenerey, that the flame of an independant irish identity was never extinguished, our folklore, our rich literary tradition and barrys tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

we live in a very beautiful country, in general, i find the people quite friendly, our language is beautiful, as is our folklore, hurling is a fantastic sport, the sheer atmosphere at all ireland time, for an amateur sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Our Passion in things that matter, our easy going cool in things that don't matter, our sense of humour. Literary tradition, Music tradition, Our Mythology and Celtic folklore. The fact that when we go elsewhere in the world we are instantly liked because of our nationality. Beautiful scenery here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm proud to be part of a nation that has a really relaxed attitude towards everything

same reason celebrities come to Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nothing really. It's just a place where I was born. There's lots of good stuff here but it's not as tho I'm actually 'proud' of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

That we're a handful of people on a small island who have
    emerged from black history with an unbroken spirit. That we are
    dreamers and poets in an international lineup of warmongers and
    empire builders. The philosophical, humorous and literary proclivities
    of the average person. The quick wit and loyally rebellious heart.

And a lot more besides ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And home and abroad we can be proud of our Irish defence forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Club Orange and Tayto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

says more about you rather than anything about being irish or english tbh.

Doesn't say anything about him tbh.

I'm not proud to be Irish at all. I'm not ashamed either but I've never really been proud. I think 'national identity' or general jingoism is silly. If anything, I'm proud of the family I come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This should be really good by page 4.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    This should be really good by page 4.
    Shut up Englishman, and get out of this thread!

:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

phasers wrote: »
    I'm proud to be part of a nation that has a really relaxed attitude towards everything

same reason celebrities come to Ireland
    I'd agree with that.

As for sport, heritage, history. I can't be proud of that because i simply know nothing about GAA or our History and i really don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that for a country with such a small population we seem to ****ing absolutely destroy countries when it comes to musical output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Cremo wrote: »
    that for a country with such a small population we seem to ****ing absolutely destroy countries when it comes to musical output.
    Its not just music either, I've employed artists for various jobs from every corner of the globe, and honestly, its damn hard to beat the Irish for quality artwork. Thats not just parochialism either, even local clients wherever I am agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I'm English but have irish roots. (my natural mother was from Galway), I moved here nearly 2 years ago, and must say that the irish seem to be a lot prouder of thier country than the english. Heck, we don't even really celebrate our patron saint's day! A few flags and maybe some drink offers in the pub, but that's about it.

I am happy here and have found everyone very friendly, cheerful and always willing to help. Also very sincere and don't put on any airs & graces like th english. So although I am not from Ireland I am proud to say I live here. In fact I hope to become an irish citizen. Oh and not just so I can have 2 passports! LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think we need to drop all this proud to be 'xxx' crap. The world is slowly changing and borders are disappearing. We should concentrate on being better human beings. Pride and nationalism breed racisim and hate and it isn't a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

FruitLover wrote: »

Do you have experience of being English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

eo980 wrote: »
    I think we need to drop all this proud to be 'xxx' crap. The world is slowly changing and borders are disappearing. We should concentrate on being better human beings. Pride and nationalism breed racisim and hate and it isn't a good thing.

Respectfully disagree. Our culture, heritage and history inherently form a part of who we are, who are parents are, who are children will be. Self-pride and being a good human is always something to advocate of course. Of course it's possible to be proud of where you come from without hating on other countries identities and cultures.

Anyway there is no question mark in my OP so keep the negativity for a different thread.

Back on topic, few more things - best fans in the world for sporting events, always observing national anthems impeccably and carrying themselves with class at foreign events. Very generous country for charity. I remember going to the Burren on a school trip and being in awe of the place; we have a very beautiful country to be proud of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

With Ireland as it is today, the only thing to me that gives me a sense of pride for being Irish, that can be contributed to being bore from being Irish, is our music.

Unfortunately this country has let me, and others down so gratuitiously on many occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Pride and nationalism has defined much of the world today, being human beings fair enough but I would hate to think where amoebic outlooks would get us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ah here we go, pc types claw out from the woodwork to attack you for being proud were your from!:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

gurramok wrote: »
    Ah here we go, pc types claw out from the woodwork to attack you for being proud were your from!:eek:

i didnt 100% agree with eo980 but we are more and more seeing in the world how your national identity is becoming less and less important on a macro level. Look for example at what we as a nation have gained from being a member of the EU.

Its fine to be proud of where we are from but that shouldnt make us better (or worse) than anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

. I remember going to the Burren on a school trip and being in awe of the place; we have a very beautiful country to be proud of.

Was the scenery created by the Irish or was the litter flowing out the bins created by the Irish?

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Was the scenery created by the Irish or was the litter flowing out the bins created by the Irish?

Mike.

:D oops, sorry for laughing Requiem4adream, wont happen again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-8ZBXsBOE8

:) x 30 billion

Apart from that, our ability to drink and the fact women abroad love our accent.

Apart from that its a windy overpriced godforsaken hole. Roll on Australia in 2008.

Advertisement