Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be Irish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Slightly OT but the blockbuster offering on RTE tonight reflects the Ireland that the next generation will have to be proud of! ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

Ok im extremely disappointed by the course this thread has run and regret that some mods havent taken action against certain posters. My intention was to explore things that make us proud in our identity - things like culture, heritage, tradition, history, achievement, success.... i made it crystal clear in OP that i wanted positivtiy. Positive contributions from people proud to be Irish.

For me it's a really simple situation: if you're proud of your nationality and identity, throw in a few reasons why :) Anything you want - proud of our supremely talented Poets past and present, our sports men&women, our musicians and actors, our achievements in industry, our armed forces and peace-keepers, our stance on human rights and charity,....whatever it is, whether it's massive or deeply personal, i wanted to hear it.

If you're not proud of your nationality, by all means dont contribute to this thread. There was never a "?" in this thread. It was never a "Proud to be Irish: Discuss." thread. This was a simple "i'm proud to be irish" thread, that has been derailed by standard cynisim and negativity.

I was playing a team poker tournament this summer, televised in 2008 sometime, i was asked how did i feel about being Captain of my country, my response was "it's an absolute honour to represent my country in any discipline and i hope i can do her justice". That sums up my feelings.

Lets not go there, only read this after making post. Strange question to ask when all you need to do is listen to it. It's the reason I posted the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There are many reasons why Irish might be proud to be Irish, most probably because of the people. For generations we have been modest but intelligent, fearless yet sympathetic, impoverished yet first to help.

IMO much of these traits can be traced back to our own self searching and Chrsitian beliefs.

Nowadays with so much change (not all for the good, but mostly), Ireland and as a consequence Irish are changing. It is becoming much more difficult to distinguish between Irish and coarse International equivalents.

Still for most the people are most important, and yet there are clear sign sthat it is also people who will drag this country down. For the time being it is the better who are still the majority but for how long?

impoverished yet first to help.

Not true we gave ourselves that particular title when in fact we give less than most European countries to charity.

^^^^ Some are proud Irish because they like to argue!

IMO Irish are generous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

mike65 wrote: »
    Slightly OT but the blockbuster offering on RTE tonight reflects the Ireland that the next generation will have to be proud of! ;)

Mike.
    The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that: Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right; greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms, greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge — has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words — will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA Ireland.
    20 years later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Too right. There are aspects of Irish society in 2007 that are most reminiscent of Thatcher's Britain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The op expressed his disappointment at the negativity expressed in this thread and while i can understand his anger, the 2 go hand in hand.

I guess the question to ask is what we can do to turn our cons into achievements to be proud of.

Masters of Destiny, the few will lead the many. Nothing wrong with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Guys, don't you read? You can't be proud of anything you haven't done. This whole thread is pointless can't you see?

Thread closed!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Guys, don't you read? You can't be proud of anything you haven't done. This whole thread is pointless can't you see?

Nonsense! Im proud of my mate for gettin the rattle last night with a foreign burd, by using his irishness to score!

That's my opinion, I'm not saying anyone else has to have the same one, but this is a discussion forum so I have a right to debate the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

eo980 wrote: »
    I think we need to drop all this proud to be 'xxx' crap. The world is slowly changing and borders are disappearing. We should concentrate on being better human beings. Pride and nationalism breed racisim and hate and it isn't a good thing.
    /me points waggly finger

"COMMUNIST! KILL IT!" :p

=-=

Less likely to be attacked abroad for being Irish, than for being American or British.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

the_syco wrote: »
    Less likely to be attacked abroad for being Irish, than for being American or British.

Unless they make a mistake.

^^^^ Some are proud Irish because they like to argue!

IMO Irish are generous

Not pickin a fight just pointing out a common misconception ;)

http://www.vexen.co.uk/countries/charity.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Came across the original Riverdance clip from Eurovision '94, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Mc03_rlWo
    Bloody hell, Michael Flatley is the image of Aiden McGeady in that video.

the_syco wrote: »
    /me points waggly finger

"COMMUNIST! KILL IT!" :p

=-=

I think the issue is that the world is becoming a very small place very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

http://www.cgdev.org/section/initiatives/_active/cdi/

2007 report.

We are the 5th highest nation in the world for Aid, quality and quantity. That doesnt sound like much of a misconception to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Bloody hell, Michael Flatley is the image of Aiden McGeady in that video.

LOL. and both have tricky feet!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Sure we can take some credit, but tell me who's willing to take credit for the weekly toll of suicide, murder, violent assaults, rape, sytematic crime, drugs, gangland killings, robbery, etc etc, hardly an imported affliction?
    The credit for almost all of those things can go to the criminals themselves. You're not one of those "Irish society made them do it" hippies, are you?

• Advertisement

One thing I'm pretty sure Sonnenblumen is most certainly NOT is a hippy! (Despite his username translating as "sunflowers").

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Six countries above us, five tied and 10 below us.

I'd say that's fairly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think the issue is that the world is becoming a very small place very quickly.

Precisely.

agamemnon wrote: »
    The credit for almost all of those things can go to the criminals themselves. You're not one of those "Irish society made them do it" hippies, are you?

Nah, more like "are you feeling lucky?"

Terry wrote: »
    Six countries above us, five tied and 10 below us.

I'd say that's fairly good.

Yeah not bad we could of course be a lot worse but fairly good is a long way from our notions that as a race we are world leaders the most generous nation in the world. Seem to me theres a lot of people out there who believe we are.

Yeah not bad we could of course be a lot worse but fairly good is a long way from our notions that as a race we are world leaders the most generous nation in the world. Seem to me theres a lot of people out there who believe we are.

Who's claiming 'most generous' or 'world leaders'??

Seems we might be in with a shot of being worldleading poor readers!

Who's claiming 'most generous' or 'world leaders'??

Seems we might be in with a shot of being worldleading poor readers!

nobody here just a general attitude I come across a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

TBH the riverdance would definately definately DEFINATELY be the thing that would make me most proud to be Irish. I've got such an incredible passion for Irish dancing no one could ever understand. Sure during the summer I must have watched it on DVD about 40 times! The music, the hard work and evergy, the thrill, everything about it....it's so inspiring. I know I probably sound like a weirdo here but it's absolutely amazing!!! As corny as this sounds, it's also one of the most beautiful things in the world...ha! I've gone too far! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    TBH the riverdance would definately definately DEFINATELY be the thing that would make me most proud to be Irish. I've got such an incredible passion for Irish dancing no one could ever understand. Sure during the summer I must have watched it on DVD about 40 times! The music, the hard work and evergy, the thrill, everything about it....it's so inspiring. I know I probably sound like a weirdo here but it's absolutely amazing!!! As corny as this sounds, it's also one of the most beautiful things in the world...ha! I've gone too far! :rolleyes:
    What an embarassing admition.

I also bought said dvd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Sorry but look at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t26UA4INTcs

Advertisement