Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be Irish

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Mordeth wrote: »
    surely a better video to post would have been one that didn't include 100 different ways of tripping people.
    kind of proved his point.
    Exactly what I was thinking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mordeth wrote: »
    surely a better video to post would have been one that didn't include 100 different ways of tripping people.
    kind of proved his point.
    although my dogs name is judo, so I'm not exactly going to bitch.

Actually it was to illustrate how dynamic and awesome judo is - not to try persuade someone who had already made up their mind on judo. FYI - just because there are various throwing combinations doesn't make the art pathetic. In either case, I know he's just trying to have a cheap pop - which is ok.. This is coming from the same guy who said he'd give Floyd Mayweather a good fight. So I'll take his comments with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Mairt wrote: »
    Listened to about 12 sec's, what does the boring cvnt say after that?.
    Something about his parents fukcing and putting it on the flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Father Ted makes me proud to be Irish, i absolutely despise when its classed as a British sitcom, it really gets on my nerves!

The Bord na Mona ad although it portrays a very romantacised irish scen it still gets me every time, The Planters Daughter is just brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6X8jv4JusQ

Irish phrases make me proud, like "the craic is 90", i mean it's just brilliant when your with your friends or family having a few drinks and a good ol sing song and all the ould Irish tunes start getting belted out. My personal favourite "The Rare Ould Times", gets me every time, although its more of a Dublin tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dlofnep wrote: »
    This is coming from the same guy who said he'd give Floyd Mayweather a good fight. So I'll take his comments with a grain of salt.

Oh boxing, 100 ways to pick someone's nose wearing gloves going by the Belfast lads logic :D

How about this one for Judo...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Father Ted makes me proud to be Irish, i absolutely despise when its classed as a British sitcom, it really gets on my nerves!

if it wasnt for the british, we wouldnt have Fr. ted. RTE wouldnt touch it when it was first pitched.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

faceman wrote: »
    if it wasnt for the british, we wouldnt have Fr. ted. RTE wouldnt touch it when it was first pitched.
    Had RTÉ made Fr. Ted, it would as hated by Irish people as every other sitcom made by RTÉ. Even if all the episodes were the exact same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Terry wrote: »
    Had RTÉ made Fr. Ted, it would as hated by Irish people as every other sitcom made by RTÉ. Even if all the episodes were the exact same.

do i detect a sense of cynicism there? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

faceman wrote: »

Oh RTE rejected Father Ted?.... Oh thank god channel 4 saved it, fair played to them for funding one of the greatest British sitcoms ever made.

Oh RTE rejected Father Ted?.... Oh thank god channel 4 saved it, fair played to them for funding one of the greatest British sitcoms ever made.

nowadays its hard to define what makes a tv show or film "irish". E.g. "The Wind the shakes the barley" was directed by an English man! Shock horror, the cheek! :rolleyes: There was a mix of british and irish crew working on it.

Most mainstream "irish" films are only part funded by the IFB and are often funded in majority by the UK.

For the record i was speaking to a friend in the industry who corrected me and said that the (irish) writers of the show approached Channel 4 before approaching RTE about the show. It was never offered to RTE in the first place. However when it first became available to RTE, they chose not to purchase it until after it's success on channel 4.

Useless Trivia; Father Ted was shot in the UK (with the exception of outdoor scenes)

We can definitely call Fair City an irish tv show, but it certainly doesnt make me feel any prouder to be Irish! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement