Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud to be Irish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pride

I think a lot of people posting about what makes them proud don't actually understand what the word means

You can only be proud of something you've done. So anything from Irish history is something other people did and you're claiming the credit! That's not a nice thing to do to those who truly deserve our admiration.

The only Ireland we may have a chance of being proud of is the Ireland of tomorrow - the one we create.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

BendiBus wrote: »
    So anything from Irish history is something other people did and you're claiming the credit! That's not a nice thing to do to those who truly deserve our admiration.
    Good point. And not just because I agree with it. If I was indifferent to the whole thing, I would find that a good point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

BendiBus wrote: »
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pride

I think a lot of people posting about what makes them proud don't actually understand what the word means

You can only be proud of something you've done. So anything from Irish history is something other people did and you're claiming the credit! That's not a nice thing to do to those who truly deserve our admiration.

The only Ireland we may have a chance of being proud of is the Ireland of tomorrow - the one we create.
    So if my make believe son wins an olympic gold medal, I'm not allowed be proud of them?

Yeah... anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So if my make believe son wins an olympic gold medal, I'm not allowed be proud of them?

Yeah... anyway....

You can be proud if they are cleared by the drug tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Dudess wrote: »
    I think Englishmen are sexeh!

Really, looks like I'm welcome here then?!

• Advertisement

Yep, you and Mike65!
    That's different. If it's a man's son it's HE who raises him, HE who encourages him to recognise and maximise his potential, HE who helps him out in every way to do these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yep, you and Mike65!
    That's different. If it's a man's son it's HE who raises him, HE who encourages him to recognise and maximise his potential, HE who helps him out in every way to do these things.
    I'm proud of the way my father raised me.

Yep, you and Mike65!
    What are you on about? Is this directed at me?

Is the mother not allowed to be proud?

What if i was never allowed see my son because of a psycho mother, and i read about him winning the olympics in the paper? Am i allowed to be proud in that scenario?

Seriously, this is just laughable now.

Yes it is directed at you. The only reason I said "a man's son" was because I was referring to your post and you're male (I think).

Yes it is directed at you. The only reason I said "a man's son" was because I was referring to your post and you're male (I think).
    Ok, fair enough. So what about the other scenario i mentioned?

• Advertisement

I think it's different if you've actually created the person, and not really comparable to the whole nationality thing.

Edit: Just saw your location - cool! I'm also in that very place. We should meet up!

I think it's different if you've actually created the person, and not really comparable to the whole nationality thing.

Edit: Just saw your location - cool! I'm also in that very place. We should meet up!
    Ok, what about if it's my big brother?

You've grown up with him, he's your family. I don't think you're comparing like with like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

You've grown up with him, he's your family. I don't think you're comparing like with like.

Dudess, i reckon your family must be really proud of you.

Oh stop talking sh*t and contribute something interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Dudess, wanna watch Micheal Collins, the film on at 11:10pm on TG4 above all stations(ya know that Irish lang station)? :D

To think that our little nation was one of the first to get independence from the mighty British empire makes me proud considering the likes of India(pop 500m at the time) had to wait another 25yrs!

Oh I'm certainly not disputing the might of such an achievement and I feel much admiration for those who stood up to the British. I certainly think they have plenty to be proud of, but the fact that they were Irish and I am Irish is - to me - irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Tayto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads your wasting your time with Dudess.

First Dudess is a woman, so you'll never get the last word in and already in this thread she's uttered the dreaded "yea, yea whatever".

SEcond and more importantly, she's from the Republic of Cork. Down there they consider themselves cork (what do you call people from Cork?.. Langers or something?).. Anyway she's from Cork, she consider's herself Corkownian first and Irish somwhere else.

But since Dudess is a dyed in the wool liberal she probably consider's herself Corkownian first, Nigerian/Roma second & Irish third.

''Up the independent Republic of Cork yiz langers"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Terry wrote: »
    Not at all. Just without the pedantry.

A lot of Irish people had to put up with a lot of shít for 800 years (oh no. I said the dreaded 800 years phrase). They produced the Irish of today.
    Over all, I'd say we did fairly well.

Oh yeah the 800 year rant. Whatabout all the **** the Irish have to put up with thesedays and everyday from the Irish??

A casual scan of the Boards will reveal much to the objective observer?

Oh don't you listen to the radio on Monday anymore, I mean how many routine weekly killings and stabbings etc etc are there???

Perhaps they overstayed their welcome, but in many ways we are better for it, unless someone living with the head up the arse will disagree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

agamemnon wrote: »
    Well said, Mairt. We can also be proud of the way we brought prosperity to the country after being economically on our knees for so long. That's something that all of us who've worked over the last 10-15 years can take some credit for.

Sure we can take some credit, but tell me who's willing to take credit for the weekly toll of suicide, murder, violent assaults, rape, sytematic crime, drugs, gangland killings, robbery, etc etc, hardly an imported affliction?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I have a pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Terry wrote: »
    I have a pizza

what toppings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I have an in your face Irish last name. Whenever anyone in the US hears it, Im asked if I have 10 brothers and sisters and if I like to party. It doesnt exactly make me swell with pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Ok im extremely disappointed by the course this thread has run and regret that some mods havent taken action against certain posters. My intention was to explore things that make us proud in our identity - things like culture, heritage, tradition, history, achievement, success.... i made it crystal clear in OP that i wanted positivtiy. Positive contributions from people proud to be Irish.

For me it's a really simple situation: if you're proud of your nationality and identity, throw in a few reasons why :) Anything you want - proud of our supremely talented Poets past and present, our sports men&women, our musicians and actors, our achievements in industry, our armed forces and peace-keepers, our stance on human rights and charity,....whatever it is, whether it's massive or deeply personal, i wanted to hear it.

If you're not proud of your nationality, by all means dont contribute to this thread. There was never a "?" in this thread. It was never a "Proud to be Irish: Discuss." thread. This was a simple "i'm proud to be irish" thread, that has been derailed by standard cynisim and negativity.

I was playing a team poker tournament this summer, televised in 2008 sometime, i was asked how did i feel about being Captain of my country, my response was "it's an absolute honour to represent my country in any discipline and i hope i can do her justice". That sums up my feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

i am proud of http://www.steorn.com/

Ok im extremely disappointed by the course this thread has run and regret that some mods havent taken action against certain posters. My intention was to explore things that make us proud in our identity - things like culture, heritage, tradition, history, achievement, success.... i made it crystal clear in OP that i wanted positivtiy. Positive contributions from people proud to be Irish.

For me it's a really simple situation: if you're proud of your nationality and identity, throw in a few reasons why :) Anything you want - proud of our supremely talented Poets past and present, our sports men&women, our musicians and actors, our achievements in industry, our armed forces and peace-keepers, our stance on human rights and charity,....whatever it is, whether it's massive or deeply personal, i wanted to hear it.

If you're not proud of your nationality, by all means dont contribute to this thread. There was never a "?" in this thread. It was never a "Proud to be Irish: Discuss." thread. This was a simple "i'm proud to be irish" thread, that has been derailed by standard cynisim and negativity.

I was playing a team poker tournament this summer, televised in 2008 sometime, i was asked how did i feel about being Captain of my country, my response was "it's an absolute honour to represent my country in any discipline and i hope i can do her justice". That sums up my feelings.

There are alot of very shallow people in Ireland at the moment. People with no sense of pride or identity, people who are full of self hate. People who think that to feel like this makes them more intelligent than the rest of us. It makes them feel they can talk down to the rest of us. They feel because of how they are its ok to label the rest of us racists or nationalist, or whatever other label they can pin to us to give themselves a feeling of higher authority.

I feel sorry for those people.

Ireland, I love Ireland.

I think there's no better country in the world. I think there's no better people in the world. Experience has given me a huge feeling of pride in myself and my nationality.

I've served under the UN flag as an Irishman. With NATO as an Irishman. I've fought on Irish team's (kickboxing & Judo) abroad and competed at other sports under the Irish flag.

Look at 'famous Irish people' on wikipedia and there's hardly another country with a list as long and distinguished, comparable in size to our country.

No matter where I've been in the world I've always taken pride in my nationality and have always looked forward to coming home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W27wBf7Jw34

couldn't have put it better myself

Listened to about 12 sec's, what does the boring cvnt say after that?.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Lads your wasting your time with Dudess.

First Dudess is a woman, so you'll never get the last word in and already in this thread she's uttered the dreaded "yea, yea whatever".

SEcond and more importantly, she's from the Republic of Cork. Down there they consider themselves cork (what do you call people from Cork?.. Langers or something?).. Anyway she's from Cork, she consider's herself Corkownian first and Irish somwhere else.

But since Dudess is a dyed in the wool liberal she probably consider's herself Corkownian first, Nigerian/Roma second & Irish third.

''Up the independent Republic of Cork yiz langers"!!!
    :D

Advertisement