Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Just because there's no RROD doesn't mean those aren't the symptoms of one. You could try the x-clamp replacement on it anyways, it could work and it'll only cost you a tenner. Worth a try :)

might just try my arm and send it into M$ in the new year. maybe leave a note, "RROD lights up after 2 hours gameplay" or some BS. Hopefully by now, the factory just says "another one? just throw it in the mountain pile with the rest of them!" worth a go anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    might just try my arm and send it into M$ in the new year. maybe leave a note, "RROD lights up after 2 hours gameplay" or some BS. Hopefully by now, the factory just says "another one? just throw it in the mountain pile with the rest of them!" worth a go anyway...

Better off trying the microsoft route, xclamp fix is only a temp measure, ring microsoft tell them 3 red lights tell them your psu shows the green light and they will send u on the labels and off it goes 2-3 weeks later new console or same console with new motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

x-clamp fix is only a temp measure

It might not be as neat as a new motherboard, but it's certainly not considered a temporary fix on any board I've ever been on.

Incidentally my xbox is on it's way back to Microsoft for it's second RROD, so their motherboard swap out isn't quite a permanent fix either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The X-Clamp fix isn't temporary.... the Xbox is just designed in such a way that it'll eventually RROD anyway due to motherboard flexing.

If you want a full permenant RROD fix check out the Hybrid Advance Xbox fix on www.xboxexperts.com/hybrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭robbie brazel

i got the rrod my warrenty is up .what can i do ?is there anywere in dublin that fixs them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Wucking Fanker

Just got the xbox back there now. Have to say I'm very impressed with the speed of the service - all done in under 2 weeks. Just a couple of things, though:

I got a wee bit of a fright when I turned it on first - got four red rings.:eek::mad: It's been working grand since, though. Anyone any idea what that might've been?

I'm also a little confused - there's a letter saying my console was replaced, but I checked the serial number and it's the same as the one registered on the Xbox site. :confused: It also says on the site that it was repaired. I'm assuming they just put the wrong letter in?

Anyway, all in all, happy out with the service and to have the Xbox working properly again!:pac:

Just got the xbox back there now. Have to say I'm very impressed with the speed of the service - all done in under 2 weeks. Just a couple of things, though:

I got a wee bit of a fright when I turned it on first - got four red rings.:eek::mad: It's been working grand since, though. Anyone any idea what that might've been?

I'm also a little confused - there's a letter saying my console was replaced, but I checked the serial number and it's the same as the one registered on the Xbox site. :confused: It also says on the site that it was repaired. I'm assuming they just put the wrong letter in?

Anyway, all in all, happy out with the service and to have the Xbox working properly again!:pac:

Hey the four red lights was probably the AV cable not plugged in correctly nothing to worry about. Your console was replaced which is a great result, what Microsoft do is they update your account with the new serial number of the replacement console, just to save you the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Wucking Fanker

Hey the four red lights was probably the AV cable not plugged in correctly nothing to worry about. Your console was replaced which is a great result, what Microsoft do is they update your account with the new serial number of the replacement console, just to save you the hassle.

Yeah, I think the cable was loose alright, but I nearly shat myself! The thought crossed my mind that they might've updated the serial number alright - jackpot!:pac: Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

With the towel trick do ya take out the hard drive ??
    I forget :P

F**k Sake :mad:
    Done the towel trick, then about an hour after it i got the e74
    Absolutely raging, no gaming for me over the crimbo :rolleyes:
    And im getting turtlebeaches for christmas, and not gonna be able to use them :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Right ... just a quick question. My xbox is maybe 3.5 to 4 years old. I got the red rings maybe 1.5 to 2 years ago. Sent it off to Microsoft to be fixed.

Now .. my xbox is freezing up on me... which seems to be a prelude to the red rings. when microsoft fix the red rings, do they extend the warranty? Or am I all outa luck?

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Right ... just a quick question. My xbox is maybe 3.5 to 4 years old. I got the red rings maybe 1.5 to 2 years ago. Sent it off to Microsoft to be fixed.

Now .. my xbox is freezing up on me... which seems to be a prelude to the red rings. when microsoft fix the red rings, do they extend the warranty? Or am I all outa luck?

No you should be ok, looks like the replacement console is starting to fail so ring them tell give them your serial number and tell them that its already 3RROD and that you have green light on powersupply, should be no issue in them approving the repair, if they start questioning you on the warrenty tell kick up tell them this is the replacement unit from another 3RROD and that that ur peeved that its happened again, check the back of the console just to see what the manufacturing date is out of interest

hope this helps

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Fcuk you xbox. My 360 just got its RROD, 3 days before christmas. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Lads mine has been acting weird, I got the RROD the other day then when I tried it the next day, it worked perfectly. I only turned it on for a few seconds. Then the next day I got the RROD again. Just last night I was playing away on it, absolutely perfect, and now as I go to play again tonight I got the red rings again. WTF?

Any ideas? Cheers.

Cactus Col wrote: »

Your warranty is extended by 90 days when you get your console back from an RROD repair. There is still a high chance you're covered but the only people who can tell you you're definitely covered are Microsoft, so call them.
    Damo 2k9 wrote:
    Absolutely raging, no gaming for me over the crimbo
    And im getting turtlebeaches for christmas, and not gonna be able to use them

Ouch, bad luck!
    Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Lads mine has been acting weird, I got the RROD the other day then when I tried it the next day, it worked perfectly. I only turned it on for a few seconds. Then the next day I got the RROD again. Just last night I was playing away on it, absolutely perfect, and now as I go to play again tonight I got the red rings again. WTF?

Any ideas? Cheers.

I suggest you try Microsoft and see if you can get it repaired under warranty first

Just rang them there, labels been sent out blahh blahh
    Found out my warranty is gone after i get my xbox back, in or around that date :P
    Seriously getting fed up with MS, they should extend your warranty for another 3 years, woo we get another months xbox live membership, tbh id rather an extended warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Any of yee have experience with sending back an xbox that was bought 2nd hand?

I bought a box from a Gaming cafe that closed down and now the guys on the phone tell me that they won't replace it without giving the correct registration info.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Doodee wrote: »
    Any of yee have experience with sending back an xbox that was bought 2nd hand?

I bought a box from a Gaming cafe that closed down and now the guys on the phone tell me that they won't replace it without giving the correct registration info.

Anyone have any suggestions?

the serial number is on the bottom of the 360, put it in on the microsoft website and it will tell you if it is in warranty or not. If it is in warranty you can request the labels online without issue. Outside of warranty and it will give you some options. Or you can look for others here.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    the serial number is on the bottom of the 360, put it in on the microsoft website and it will tell you if it is in warranty or not. If it is in warranty you can request the labels online without issue. Outside of warranty and it will give you some options. Or you can look for others here.

Nope, in order to request a repair (even online) you need to register the console in your name. This is fine if it's never been registered, but some second hand consoles have been registered to the previous owner. Microsoft have a policy that to transfer an xbox to a new owner you need the previous owner's name (and possibly address).

@Doodee: I obtained the details for my second hand xbox and was able to provide them with the old owners name and address. Failing that, Microsoft should offer to call the current registered owner of the console to ensure it has not been stolen from them and everything is all right. This could take up to 2 days. After that, they will transfer it to your name and then you can request a repair.

Score! Xbox is currently in the UK on it's way back to me before Christmas. No idea if they replaced the console or just did another repair on it. My warranty status reports that my console is now in warranty until March 17th 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Whats the link to find out if my Xbox is in warranty, and do I need the receipt when getting it sent back to Xbox or whatever?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Whats the link to find out if my Xbox is in warranty, and do I need the receipt when getting it sent back to Xbox or whatever?

If the console is yours since day one you only need to register it to your Microsoft Passport, which you should have if you have a Live! profile.

http://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?mkt=en-ie

You should see something like this
    Manage registered devices (select one below)

* Xbox360 Hardware (SN: 903xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

There is also a link to register a new device on that page if your xbox isn't there.

Click on the link that says Xbox360 Hardware (SN: 903xxxxx) and on the right is a link titled 'View Warranty Details'. It's below Request a repair.
    Current Warranty Status
    # Device: Xbox360 Hardware
    # Serial Number: 903xxxxxxxxxx
    # Warranty Status: In Warranty
    # Warranty Type: Repair
    # Warranty Start:
    # Warranty Expiration: 3/17/2010 8:00:00 PM

When I sent my xbox in for repair, the Warranty Status reported it was Expired so Warranty Status only indicates if you're within the standard warranty period, not the RROD warranty extended period - for that you have to call Microsoft :)

UPS picked my xbox up today, hope its not too long after christmas until i get it back :rolleyes:

On the other hand, im getting a lend of an xbox for over the christmas.....SCORE :)

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    UPS picked my xbox up today, hope its not too long after christmas until i get it back :rolleyes:

On the other hand, im getting a lend of an xbox for over the christmas.....SCORE :)

Maybe end of the first week of Jan. Mine was shipped from Dublin on the 15th December, and it'll be back tomorrow with a bit of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Maybe end of the first week of Jan. Mine was shipped from Dublin on the 15th December, and it'll be back tomorrow with a bit of luck

mine left Tamworth at 6.15 am.

thats the last information available!!

fingers crossed.

The chap that picked myne up today was like
    "Bad time for it to go eh" and walked out :P

mine left Tamworth at 6.15 am.

thats the last information available!!

fingers crossed.

6:15am for me too, should arrive in Dublin around 9pm so yeah, fingers crossed for delivery tomorrow :)

@Damo: LOL! What a nice guy :D

*Edit:* DUBLIN, IE 23/12/2009 21:31 DESTINATION SCAN

mine only has an arrival in dublin! No destination scan! God Damn.

mine only has an arrival in dublin! No destination scan! God Damn.

Call UPS and ask them if it'll be delivered today. I had no "Out for Delivery" when I woke up so I rang and was told that it's out for delivery. Took it off the UPS girl there a minute ago and found they gave me a brand new one :D

1800-57-57-57

Press * when it says to. Then press 2 to track it. Then press Hash, wait to be told the tracking number is incorrect, and press it again. It'll then put you through to an actual person who can tell you about your package :)

• Advertisement

Call UPS and ask them if it'll be delivered today. I had no "Out for Delivery" when I woke up so I rang and was told that it's out for delivery. Took it off the UPS girl there a minute ago and found they gave me a brand new one :D

1800-57-57-57

Press * when it says to. Then press 2 to track it. Then press Hash, wait to be told the tracking number is incorrect, and press it again. It'll then put you through to an actual person who can tell you about your package :)

our xboxs went on holiday together it seems.

Cheers for the number, its "in the van". Delighted!!

How do ya know its a new one?

Advertisement