Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

our xboxs went on holiday together it seems.

Cheers for the number, its "in the van". Delighted!!

How do ya know its a new one?

It says so on a letter than comes inside the box. But the dead giveaway is that the manufacturing date on the console is July 28th 2009, whereas I know the one I sent away was September 2006 :p The serial numbers don't match either, and there's not a mark on the xbox.

Merry Christmas to me, and with a bit of luck, for you too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

It says so on a letter than comes inside the box. But the dead giveaway is that the manufacturing date on the console is July 28th 2009, whereas I know the one I sent away was September 2006 :p The serial numbers don't match either, and there's not a mark on the xbox.

Merry Christmas to me, and with a bit of luck, for you too :D

haha indeed! thanks again for the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like I'm the latest member of the club.... I was all set for a game of Scene It with my brothers and I got my first RROD. :(
    Thought I was one of the lucky ones (I have it for 2y3m at this stage).

Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

@Doodee: I obtained the details for my second hand xbox and was able to provide them with the old owners name and address. Failing that, Microsoft should offer to call the current registered owner of the console to ensure it has not been stolen from them and everything is all right. This could take up to 2 days. After that, they will transfer it to your name and then you can request a repair.

Thanks for that!

I asked the guy on the phone if he could contact the registered owner and he said that is not possible. It looks like I'll have to track down the owner of the cafe some how. :/

Thanks for your help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

gyar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Just to clear the muddy waters:

If you have a receipt and a damaged Xbox, then the retailer you bought it from is legally obliged to issue you with a refund, replacement or a permanent repair. They can have all the '14 day returns policy' signs they want, but it doesn't change the law.

They may tell you to deal with Microsoft, but if you state your rights, they will swap your damaged one for a new one. Having worked in Gamestop, we took in damaged Xboxen all the time.

Does this still apply if I purchased my Xbox "Pre-owned" from Gamestop?

Edit; Sorry should have read more carefully this has already been explained

Doodee wrote: »
    Thanks for that!

I asked the guy on the phone if he could contact the registered owner and he said that is not possible. It looks like I'll have to track down the owner of the cafe some how. :/

Thanks for your help though.

It's been posted on other forums that it is possible, if not the policy when you don't have the old owners details. Call, be firm, and if necessary speak to a supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

If I may, just plug the advertisement in my sig(with the permission of the mods). I have been repairing Xbox 360s for quite a while now, so if you need help just contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

well that didn't last long... didn't think i'd be spending xmas day taking it apart again...:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

incredible stuff.

i bought an arcade from HMV just last week, ive been using it since then, its getting the RROD now-1 freaking week! HMV Cork, you better be nice to me the next time im in which will be soon! :( think ill try my old xbox again, wheres my towel?

• Advertisement

andyone wrote: »
    well that didn't last long... didn't think i'd be spending xmas day taking it apart again...:mad::mad::mad:
    who said there was no god..... stripped it again.... cleaned it all down again.... re applied my paste.... and over heated the bugger,,,,, and hey presto..... up and running again.....:D:D:D

andyone wrote: »
    who said there was no god..... stripped it again.... cleaned it all down again.... re applied my paste.... and over heated the bugger,,,,, and hey presto..... up and running again.....:D:D:D

You put the mockers on it telling me it was still working I think :p

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thebillynator

what do i do to get it fixed;)

f****** went again.... about seven hours play out of it...... gonna buy new.... i've had enough.... i'll buy the arcade.... and salvage parts of the old one:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

any body got suggestions for a decent ear piece and mic the bog standard version ain't up to much?????:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 noobiedoo

my 360 rrod a few days ago. this is the third time my 360 has broke it rrod the first time and second time the disc drive failed. both those times i rang ms and it was repaired no problem. when I rang them the other day about my third breakdown and second rrod I was told it was now outside the three year warranty and would cost me 90 euro. they didn give a crap this was the second three rings a problem rampant in 360's and conpletly there fault. At this stage I was expecting complete replaced of my 360 or something. Ive decided that il put the 90 towards a new one when i could afford it , at least id get a pad and stuff. however I've been reading that you fix this yourself have followed instuctions. it is now completly stipped down but i would like some advice on the thermal paste for the heatsink, using it, where to get some etc. I would appreciate the help:)

i'm gonna try this today......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPj9cP0sxtw&feature=related and i've already tried this twice..... the best thermal paste is artic silver..... but if you buy a "xbox repair kit" from ebay or some where........ it will have paste in it.....

let me know how it worked out for you

noobiedoo wrote: »
    let me know how it worked out for you

tried that the console is now working......but for how long.......??????
    going after russians now on mw2..... will lets ya know how long it last....

i wonder shud i do the the penny thing and change the washers and thermal paste on the cpu all at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

My xbox is over 3 years old but it rrod'd in warranty over a year ago and now its done it again. Anyone know if it still should be in warranty?

Online its looking for billing details so I 'x'd out of the process. Rang up there and he said he doesn't know if in warranty and to call back later tonight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Keith186 wrote: »
    My xbox is over 3 years old but it rrod'd in warranty over a year ago and now its done it again. Anyone know if it still should be in warranty?

Online its looking for billing details so I 'x'd out of the process. Rang up there and he said he doesn't know if in warranty and to call back later tonight...

Insist to the guy that it is in warrenty and give out that it failed within a year of it being returned to you if he gives you any crap.

i wonder shud i do the the penny thing and change the washers and thermal paste on the cpu all at once?
    as i said i changed the x clamps... and redid the thermal paste....... it worked..... but rrod'd again after a couple of hours.... i then done that process again with what i would regard as a better set of screws and washers(which came in a kit) and i used less paste..... it worked... but rrod'd again after a couple of hours.
    Yesterday i done the penny thing as in the video i showed you.... but i over heated the box apart, and did not use the towel trick.... IT worked and whats more is still working......(i did not redo the thermal paste on the cpu and the gpu)...

god knows how long it will last....... fingers crossed

all i can say is if you have nothing to loose...... go for it.... i'd do it all, whilst you have the box open anyway... and hope for the best....

toucningvirus(on boards) was a great help when i was doing mine, if you have any more questions don't hessitate in pm'ing me but please remember i'm only a novice too:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    incredible stuff.

i bought an arcade from HMV just last week, ive been using it since then, its getting the RROD now-1 freaking week! HMV Cork, you better be nice to me the next time im in which will be soon! :( think ill try my old xbox again, wheres my towel?

well lads, this was the worst customer experience I ever had, i went in first time round, im told by this american woman that i need to ring Microsoft for an authorization code in order to get my refund. I was doubtful about this but went along with it. I rang MS and went through their procedures and was told there is no such thing.

well, the attitude I got from the american girl when I got back was absolutely incredible, full of aggro and negative actions like slamming the biro and paper for me to sign and rudely asking for 1 cent because she was refunding me 129.99, not 130. she even said to another customer "sorry, there's some guy messing me around" with me well within earshot. I swear to god, my hand was shaking signing the return piece of paper with every emotion under the sun, mostly anger, nerves and relief all put together.

I walked away from it but think I have to e-mail someone at HMV about this just to get it off my chest, im still furious about it.

I walked away from it but think I have to e-mail someone at HMV about this just to get it off my chest, im still furious about it.

And you should, that is outrageous carry on from a customer service point of view. She was also filling you with bull about the returns authorisation thing but you found that out :)

@andyone: Achilles on here is recommending the hybrid x-clamp fix, so I've bought a kit to do one - seems a bit different to the usual swamp & replace job I've done but I'm giving it a whirl. Some boards last ages with the replacement, some don't last p*ssing time, it's the luck of the draw I suppose. There's a few more things you could try like putting a shroud over the top of the GPU heatsink so it'll draw more air over it, getting the newer type of GPU heatsink with a heatpipe, different x-clamp fix ..your call if you deem it worth it or not - Always help's if you've got a spare xbox though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Got the red lights a few weeks back but only rang microsoft today - my 3 year warranty went a few days ago but they said they would repair it for free anyway, nice one.

Hope these labels arrive soon

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Proper order. Thats disgraceful.
    Hope you got her name before you left.

touching virus: @andyone: Achilles on here is recommending the hybrid x-clamp fix, so I've bought a kit to do one - seems a bit different to the usual swamp & replace job I've done but I'm giving it a whirl. Some boards last ages with the replacement, some don't last p*ssing time, it's the luck of the draw I suppose. There's a few more things you could try like putting a shroud over the top of the GPU heatsink so it'll draw more air over it, getting the newer type of GPU heatsink with a heatpipe, different x-clamp fix ..your call if you deem it worth it or not - Always help's if you've got a spare xbox though :P[/quote]

could you let me know how that works out for you?
    im gonna try the usual way first in the mean time hopefully that will do.
    also in your method do you get new x clamp or just put in new bolts, washers and thermal paste like in this: this is vid 1 and 2
    vid.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wa05IgHr2s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aczn8lpDOlc&feature=channel

could you let me know how that works out for you?
    im gonna try the usual way first in the mean time hopefully that will do.
    also in your method do you get new x clamp or just put in new bolts, washers and thermal paste like in this: this is vid 1 and 2
    vid.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wa05IgHr2s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aczn8lpDOlc&feature=channel

Sure, I can let you know how it goes.

The fix involves sanding or grinding down a part of the case to 3mm to reduce flexing, using a shim and screws instead of the x-clamp along with various other fixes like the dram washers, or at least that's what I gather from their video. It's a more expensive fix, weighing in at €15 for parts but it's worth a try and if Achilles recommends it and fixes boxes with it then it's definitely worth a go.

It's the "advanced" fix on this video if you wish to take a look:

ok cheers touching virus, but in the ordinary do you get rid of the xclamps like in those vids i posted?

• Advertisement

ok cheers touchingvirus, but in the usual ordinary approach do you get rid of the x clamps like in that guys vid that i posted?:)

Advertisement