Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options
  • 18-12-2007 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭

An all too common occurance amongst 360 owners is to switch on the machine only to find the ring-of-light blinking red and failing to boot up. The web will throw up various 'fixes' for the issue, most of which are completely off-the-wall and temporary at best.

So, what can you do?

Receipt in hand, bring it back to the point of purchase. They should swap it over for a new machine.

or

Ring Microsoft, and organise a replacement. They offer an extended warranty in relation to this particular fault, so you shouldnt have to pay a penny. The number is 1800 509186.

If anybody has any more helpful information, please post below. Off-topic posts or chat aren't welcome in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

For those People that are worried about warranty, The standard warranty is 12 months but as NekkidBibleMan said the 3 red lights has an extended warranty which is 3 years.

For those who don't know what the 3 red lights are see below.

redringofdeathvc8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just to clear the muddy waters:

If you have a receipt and a damaged Xbox, then the retailer you bought it from is legally obliged to issue you with a refund, replacement or a permanent repair. They can have all the '14 day returns policy' signs they want, but it doesn't change the law.

They may tell you to deal with Microsoft, but if you state your rights, they will swap your damaged one for a new one. Having worked in Gamestop, we took in damaged Xboxen all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

THE LETTER OF THE LAW

Under this Act the purchaser of goods has a number of rights - the main ones are

* Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    * Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do
    * Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

When you buy goods in a sale you have the same rights as when you pay full price for the goods.

If you have a contract with a supplier of services you can expect that:

* The supplier has the necessary skill to provide the service
    * The service will be provided with proper care and diligence
    * The materials used will be sound and that goods supplied with the service will be of merchantable quality

You can read more about your rights when you buy a service here.
    If things go wrong

If you have a problem with an item that you have bought it is always the seller who should put things right. As a general rule, the seller can either repair or replace the item. Alternatively, they can refund the costs of the item or service to the consumer.

If you are not satisfied with the quality of goods or services you can:

* Return the goods to the supplier who sold it to you (you should not return the goods to the manufacturer)
    * Act as soon as you can – a delay can indicate that you have accepted faulty goods or services
    * Do not attempt to repair the item yourself or give it to anyone else to repair it
    * Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)

You have no grounds for redress if

* You were told about the defect before you bought the item (for example, if the goods were marked 'shopsoiled')
    * You examined the item before you bought it and should have seen the defect
    * You bought the item knowing that it wasn’t fit for what you wanted it to do
    * You broke or damaged the product
    * You made a mistake when buying the item (for example, if you bought an item of clothing thinking it was black when it is actually navy)
    * You change your mind

So, there you have it. Return it to the retailer with your receipt, and they'll give you a repair/replacement or a refund. You are not obliged to accept a credit note, you are not obliged to deal with Microsoft and you are not held to the terms of any '7 Day Return Policy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

An all too common occurance amongst 360 owners is to switch on the machine only to find the ring-of-light blinking red and failing to boot up. The web will throw up various 'fixes' for the issue, most of which are completely off-the-wall and temporary at best.

So, what can you do?

Receipt in hand, bring it back to the point of purchase. They should swap it over for a new machine.

or

Ring Microsoft, and organise a replacement. They offer an extended warranty in relation to this particular fault, so you shouldnt have to pay a penny. The number is 1800 509186.

If anybody has any more helpful information, please post below. Off-topic posts or chat aren't welcome in this thread.

is there an irish number, when i call this, it tells me the service is not availabnle from my location..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some 1800 numbers don't work from mobiles. Try a landline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Xbox customer support for Ireland :
    Assistance by phone:

1 800 509 186

or +353 12420758 from a mobile phone

Hours of operation:
    Monday-Friday: 09:00-22:00
    Saturday: 09:00-20:00
    Sunday: 09:00-17:00

Before contacting them I would strongly recommend registering your Xboxs serial number online as it speeds up the process immensely. You can do this here (You'll have to log in first.)

You'll also be able to track the status of your repair via the support and then "View my repair status" areas on the above site.

When calling them they will arrange for UPS to pick up your bricked console, but before this, they will need to send out shipping labels to you.
    This can be done via two methods :

1. Mail the labels via email and you, you then print them out and attach them to the box and call UPS to arrange collection.
    2. Send the courier to pick up the box and the courier will have the labels themselves.

I'd strongly recommend option 2, as having Microsoft mail you the labels can again take much longer.
    The courier usually is dispatched the next working day, whereas folks have waited weeks for the email to arrive with the labels.
    On the call to support they can be reluctant to send the courier with the labels, so ask if they don't offer.

Turn around time is around 3 weeks on average. Also it's worth noting your original serial number before shipping so as you can tell whether they've repaired your original box or replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

can only return it to the shop legally up to one year
    after the second year you have to prove it's not your fault (they have to send it back to ms)
    year 3 to 6 you have to show
    1: i't not your fault
    2: it was meant to last longer than it did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quick question: my 360 just red ringed and they are sending the labels, but do I put the power supply in the box as well, or just the console itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Quick question: my 360 just red ringed and they are sending the labels, but do I put the power supply in the box as well, or just the console itself?

Did they ask you to check the Power Supply, was it green when u powered on the xbox?. If the power supply hasnt failed u dont send that over. you just send the xbox on its own, no hard drive, no cables, just the box. and they told me to put it into a box that isnt the xbox box. probably for security. i actually printed out the lables, and then UPS collected next day. just taped them to the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Make sure you dont leave a game inside the console when your sending it like I did :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Also... if for some reason you've opened your Xbox and voided your warranty (and therefore can't send it to MS), there is a guy here in ireland who'll fix it for you.. (cheap enough I think)...

www.modchipsireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Mine just red ringed last week, gonna go about getting MS to get it fixed this week, really sucks.

Do ya have to pay for p&p yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just got a call from my housemate saying he turned on my xbox and it had three flashing lights asking me what it meant.

Anyways i told him not to touch it and ill sort it out when i get there. A few minutes later he rings me back saying he took all the wires out and took the hard drive out and put it back together again and now its working.

Can anyone tell me is this a genuine fix or should I just bring it back to the shop...although one of my friends lost my reciept for the xbox as i had it inside a game i leant to him?

Any info on this would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

joe123 wrote: »
    Just got a call from my housemate saying he turned on my xbox and it had three flashing lights asking me what it meant.

Anyways i told him not to touch it and ill sort it out when i get there. A few minutes later he rings me back saying he took all the wires out and took the hard drive out and put it back together again and now its working.
    Great housemate he is! :eek:

Quick tip: never leave your girlfriend alone with him and make sure you don't say the following to him: "don't you shag her?! Don't do it.. mmmkay? I'll be back in 4 days!" :D

Back on topic.. not a genuine fix but you've voided the warranty by opening it up anyways. It's as fixed as any of these unofficial RRoD fixes are (towel trick etc), best to get parts replaced and fixed by Microsoft themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

basquille wrote: »
    Great housemate he is! :eek:

Quick tip: never leave your girlfriend alone with him and make sure you don't say the following to him: "don't you shag her?! Don't do it.. mmmkay? I'll be back in 4 days!" :D

Back on topic.. not a genuine fix but you've voided the warranty by opening it up anyways. It's as fixed as any of these unofficial RRoD fixes are (towel trick etc), best to get parts replaced and fixed by Microsoft themselves.

Yeah that annoyed me a bit :cool:

Now when i say he took the wires and stuff out i just mean the cables in the back and stuff not like actually unscrewing anything. He took out the hard drive aswell something ive never even bothered to touch. But of course he had to go messin with it....

at least I hope he hasnt attempted to unscrew anything!

I had a quick look there and i found the receipt (ended up inside the game manual)

After these red lights happening am i just better bringing it back to the shop? ( I also get a hell of a lot of "this disc is unreadable" ) which is possibly one of the most annoying things.

Got the xbox in may....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

joe123 wrote: »

After these red lights happening am i just better bringing it back to the shop? ( I also get a hell of a lot of "this disc is unreadable" ) which is possibly one of the most annoying things.

Well, I got the RROD on my box today so back it will have to go, thanks for the tips in this thread folks.

I was getting a lot of the 'disc unreadable' errors too recently, I wonder will this be fixed too? Or is it the DVD drive thats at fault and probably won't get fixed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For anyone dealing with RROD, I'd recommend getting the labels emailed rather than posted. After waiting nearly two weeks for the labels in the post (based on fellow boardsies advise) I phoned today and asked them to email: had the labels less than an hour later, and my Xbox will hopefully finally be picked up in the next 48 hours or so.

All seems to depend on who you get on the phone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sekelly

Assistance by phone:

1 800 509 186

or +353 12420758 from a mobile phone

Hours of operation:
    Monday-Friday: 09:00-22:00
    Saturday: 09:00-20:00
    Sunday: 09:00-17:00

When calling this number what details are required to speed up the process, i am away from my xbox so i dont have much details with me. I want to call the number now if possible but need to find out will i have to wait til i have access to my xbox

sekelly wrote: »

When calling this number what details are required to speed up the process, i am away from my xbox so i dont have much details with me. I want to call the number now if possible but need to find out will i have to wait til i have access to my xbox

You will definitely need the serial number from the back of the Xbox.
    Also, you may have done it already, but there are a number of checks they will go through with you (e.g. making sure your power 'brick' is still showing a green light). If you've done all those checks yourself, then the serial number is all you will need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sekelly

:o
    You will definitely need the serial number from the back of the Xbox.
    Also, you may have done it already, but there are a number of checks they will go through with you (e.g. making sure your power 'brick' is still showing a green light). If you've done all those checks yourself, then the serial number is all you will need.

Thanks, i will try that so and we will see what happens!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

sekelly wrote: »
    :o

Thanks, i will try that so and we will see what happens!!

a little ray of hope for you RROD guys, i received my xbox back yest after only a week with repair centre (two weeks to the day from RROD). Its now also much quieter! Plus got a free months XBL.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

im worried i got my evil death rings yesterday, but I have this machine since they first came out, is that too long to void all warrentys? am I gonna have to pay microsoft to fix it?

If so I'll **** the thing out now and get a ps3, I hear you get an instant trade in if theres any faults with them.... no wait I lie thats just Blasphemy that is!

Sm0ke wrote: »
    im worried i got my evil death rings yesterday, but I have this machine since they first came out, is that too long to void all warrentys? am I gonna have to pay microsoft to fix it?

If so I'll **** the thing out now and get a ps3, I hear you get an instant trade in if theres any faults with them.... no wait I lie thats just Blasphemy that is!

The warranty for the RROD has been extended to 3 years, so you will get your repair for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Got the RROD the other day 1year and 2 days after purchase! Thanks god they extended the warranty!

Anyway when you ring MS do they organise UPS or do you ring them and organise a time that suits you. I mean if I ring today can I have UPS come next Wednesday to collect when I'm off? Do UPS do Saturdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

Batesy wrote: »
    Got the RROD the other day 1year and 2 days after purchase! Thanks god they extended the warranty!

Anyway when you ring MS do they organise UPS or do you ring them and organise a time that suits you. I mean if I ring today can I have UPS come next Wednesday to collect when I'm off? Do UPS do Saturdays?

just talking to them there they said within 5 working days :( didnt ask any specifics as theres someone here generally during the week. theY best be careful with my baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I just got the RROD. Disconnected and reconnected the power cable and its working fine now. Should I send it back anyway or wait till its perma-rrod?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just got this today while playing H3 online. Thought it was a one off but it keeps happening now. Support ticket logged. Poopy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've a launch console and last week I got the RROD.
    Not three lights but 4 lights so a complete circle.

I went to great trouble asking around and then searching for a contact number for Microsoft (should have checked Boards first :))

4 red lights means the AV cable is not connected properly so it's not a terminal failure to clear this. Just connect the AV cable, problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Rang MS this morning at 9.30 and got my labels mailed to me at 12.30. Rang UPS at 3pm and they will be out to collect the box tomorrow. Pretty happy with the support so far. *fingers crossed*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

got mine back last Tuesday. Hardly played it.. RROD again Sunday. piece of $hit. new one on the way apparently when this one goes back plus offered free accessory or game because of failure no. 2. seriously considering a PS3 after this..

Advertisement