Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options
1596061626365»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

0ubliette wrote: »
    my 360 was out of warranty, MS wanted 90 euro to repair it! forget that, i fixed it myself. Its working grand now, i just did the x clamp replacement technique. Cost me 10 quid to buy the parts off ebay, and hopefully should be rrod-proof now that the x clamps are gone

Not for long the only long term fix for RRoD is to reball the GPU or whatever component failed, you might get a few months out of it but don't be surprised if it kicks the bucket again

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Thread revival!!

Ok have an old xbox with rrod. Not to worried about it really as i have a new one anyways. The original is outside of the 3 yr warranty, id like to try an get it going again to transfer over my old HDD to my new 250gb HD. Im going to try the old overheat method to see i this works. Any tips on how to transfer old 'white HDD info to new Black HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Thread revival!!

Ok have an old xbox with rrod. Not to worried about it really as i have a new one anyways. The original is outside of the 3 yr warranty, id like to try an get it going again to transfer over my old HDD to my new 250gb HD. Im going to try the old overheat method to see i this works. Any tips on how to transfer old 'white HDD info to new Black HD?
    Don't use the towel trick it'll wreck the thing and make it 100% unrepairable.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Achilles wrote: »
    Don't use the towel trick it'll wreck the thing and make it 100% unrepairable.
    Toooooo late...had three rrod, now 4..ahh well..

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Toooooo late...had three rrod, now 4..ahh well..

The motherboard has short circuited or your power supply has gone tits up. Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BIGGIEsmall

Hi lads,

Anyway yesterday I was trying to switch on the xbox and it wouldnt turn on. No fan noise or anything. Then the 3 red rings started flashing. The power brick light stayed orange. Nothing on the screen or anything. The error code is 0001. I've heard that it could be something with the PSU or something inside. Anyone had this problem before or know how to fix it?

P.S. I've had the xbox since 2008 so definitely out of warranty

Hi lads,

Anyway yesterday I was trying to switch on the xbox and it wouldnt turn on. No fan noise or anything. Then the 3 red rings started flashing. The power brick light stayed orange. Nothing on the screen or anything. The error code is 0001. I've heard that it could be something with the PSU or something inside. Anyone had this problem before or know how to fix it?

Try it with a new power supply, borrow one off a friend if you can. Same thing happened to mine after an update recently (Microsoft claim that their updates couldn't cause a power surge like that but I doubt it...).

Try it with a new power supply, borrow one off a friend if you can. Same thing happened to mine after an update recently (Microsoft claim that their updates couldn't cause a power surge like that but I doubt it...).

Thanks for the reply. I will try that out

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭keithoh

Hi lads,

Just had the same thing happen to mine about 3 weeks ago 2009 model. Turned out to be PSU thankfully. When you turn on the Xbox check the PSU light to see if it flicks from orange to green and back to orange.

Got a new PSU from the MS support site 30 Euro arrived in about 5 days

keithoh wrote: »
    When you turn on the Xbox check the PSU light to see if it flicks from orange to green and back to orange.

Mine just stays orange

• Advertisement

Just wondering did your power light stay orange or did it change?

Just wondering did your power light stay orange or did it change?
    It would go green, then orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Just got the RROD on my console, went to xbox online and they are charging €70 to fix it. But I can get one on adverts for €80 and ebay for €99, not that I have any intention of buying another one. Had two playstations before this and both are still working. Bloody irritating considering I have bought lots of extras for the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Anyone around Cork with dead xbox 360's? I can possibly get an ultra slow motion movie camera and am thinking of making an xbox smashing vid down on the coast. PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Mine is well outside warranty. I'm getting an intermittent 3 red rings. After I unplug and replug, it might stay ok for a little while, but more often than not the display freezes, audio cuts out, and graphic on screen gets corrupt; the controller also stops responding.

Is this indicative of the power supply or is there more coming down the track? I haven't yet got on to support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Mine is well outside warranty. I'm getting an intermittent 3 red rings. After I unplug and replug, it might stay ok for a little while, but more often than not the display freezes, audio cuts out, and graphic on screen gets corrupt; the controller also stops responding.

Is this indicative of the power supply or is there more coming down the track? I haven't yet got on to support.

Thats a GPU issue the degrading graphics indicate this - it will eventually permanently RRoD on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Lads,

My nephews xbox elite just got the three red lights but the power supply brick is green.

I think that pretty much means its ****ed.

It's well out of warranty so going to open it up myself, what sort of things are likely too have gone wrong with it and what needs checking?..

If I can't fix it myself would Microsoft still do it even tho I've opened it and is it likely to last long after they've fixed it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aquane69

Does the latest version of the xbox 360 get the 3 rings of death. I have had 2 xbox (big white) 360's in the last 24 months get the 3 rings.
    If the latest versons still get the 3 rings I am not going to waste my money on another xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

No they don't

Meesared wrote: »
    No they don't

Never say never... they haven't been out in the field for three years or more like the launch consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Never say never... they haven't been out in the field for three years or more like the launch consoles.
    They have been out almost 3 years at this point, and there is no failures being reported like they were with the original. That and the fact they do not 3 red lights, as they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Meesared wrote: »
    No they don't

LOL :pac:
    Yes they do fail....the 3 red lights were physically removed in favour of a single red light
    Nothing like the GPU failure rate that came with the original launch xenon consoles but they certainly do fail.

I found the lasers drop like flies in them

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

Lads,

My nephews xbox elite just got the three red lights but the power supply brick is green.

I think that pretty much means its ****ed.

It's well out of warranty so going to open it up myself, what sort of things are likely too have gone wrong with it and what needs checking?..

If I can't fix it myself would Microsoft still do it even tho I've opened it and is it likely to last long after they've fixed it?

Thanks.

You can get it reflowed and if done properly should last for a while, apart from trying the dodgy x-clamp repair there is nothing you can really that you can do without equipment - get someone to do the reflow for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The young lads 360 failed yesterday , single bottom right red light, e74 error.
    What's my best course of action for sorting it/getting it sorted (based in dublin) .

It's an original one I bought a few months after launch so it's served well though it did have fairly minimal use till I passed it on to him. The belt came off the drive tray a couple of months back so I had to open it and fix that but otherwise it hasn't had an repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The young lads 360 failed yesterday , single bottom right red light, e74 error.
    What's my best course of action for sorting it/getting it sorted (based in dublin) .

It's an original one I bought a few months after launch so it's served well though it did have fairly minimal use till I passed it on to him. The belt came off the drive tray a couple of months back so I had to open it and fix that but otherwise it hasn't had an repairs.

A launch model lasting until now would be considered quite a long lifespan for that model. Most have bitten the dust long ago. I'm not sure putting money into repairing that model (a Xenon non-hdmi I presume?) is a good idea. Might be an idea to consider putting that same money towards a new slim model...

Actually when i think about it I'm not entirely sure how long after launch it was . It's a 120gb elite.

We picked up a new one yesterday for him but if it's not going to cost the earth I'm inclined to get it fixed .

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

Actually when i think about it I'm not entirely sure how long after launch it was . It's a 120gb elite.

We picked up a new one yesterday for him but if it's not going to cost the earth I'm inclined to get it fixed .

A reflow will usually bring it back to life.

Any suggestions for someone good in Dublin and a rough price?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Any suggestions for someone good in Dublin and a rough price?

just a word of advice, dont expect the world from a repair, i only got 3 months out of mine after it was repaired before it died again, and it cost me 70 euros. I'd have been better served just buying a new console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

+1

Buying a used console can really work out better than repairing RROD/YLOD. Even if you get a reball, it might not last long.

If RGH wasn't released and it was a JTAG, I'd defo say you should, but there's no need nowadays! You can use your old HDD, cables and controller, so you can look for just a console on its own. You can even gutswap them, so you've still got the black case!

Just my opinion..

Advertisement