Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

andyone just so you know if your 360 is less then 3 years old the repairs are free and can be ordered online through their website without receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

Why would you not go through Microsoft if you have that option? Anybody else who can fix it will void your xbox 360 warranty

exactly..... the xbox was a present from my brother in law.... who had a problem with it and got it fixed out side of microsoft...... so the warrenty on the box is non existant...... any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    andyone just so you know if your 360 is less then 3 years old the repairs are free and can be ordered online through their website without receipt.

only for 3 red rings and E74. otherwise its one year.

oh by the way, my problem returned. i need RROD because i would much prefer not to buy a new replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

andyone wrote: »
    exactly..... the xbox was a present from my brother in law.... who had a problem with it and got it fixed out side of microsoft...... so the warrenty on the box is non existant...... any ideas

Most RRoD are from overheating issues, they're not that hard to fix - you could have a go yourself :)

Most RRoD are from overheating issues, they're not that hard to fix - you could have a go yourself :)

go ahead i'm all ears...... mind you i don't think it was an over heating issue as it was only on for 20 mins......the manual suggests two red lights for overheating.... and mine showed three...
    :confused:

• Advertisement

go ahead i'm all ears...... mind you i don't think it was an over heating issue as it was only on for 20 mins......the manual suggests two red lights for overheating.... and mine showed three...
    :confused:

Two red lights on the left quadrants for overheating that's detected as overheating.

Most RRoD faults are related to the X-Clamp (thing that holds the heatsinks onto the GPU and CPU) becoming loose, meaning the heatsinks are not doing their job right which lets the CPU & GPU heat up to the point they become faulty. An incorrectly mounted heatsink can have repercussions within 5 minutes or less, nevermind 20 :D There are other issues such as poor quality conductivity material (thermal paste) between the heatsink and chip dye.

Pick up an "X clamp repair kit" from ebay - it's just a load of washers and screws. Pick up some thermal paste remover (I use ArctiClean), and some thermal paste (I use Arctic Silver 5) too - I'm pretty sure the stuff in the repair kits is cheapy stuff too.

Then in simple terms, open up the box, disassemble parts, remove x-clamp and heatsinks, remove old thermal paste, apply new thermal paste properly (thinly), remove studs in heatsinks designed to hold the x-clamp in place, use washers and screws to reattach heatsinks, reassemble everything except the outer casing. Chances are your xbox will still RRoD with 3 lights, so disconnect the fans from the motherboard. Let the xbox overheat until you've got two red lights in the left quad. Turn it off, shut it down, let it cool for 20 minutes. Reattach fan connector, and put the rest of the case back on. Power it up, and see what happens ;)

There are plenty of videos on youtube detailing this process

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Is there a way to tell if your xbox is about to Brick?

Mine has recently started to get louder, the fan sounds to be working over time and the noise coming from the disc drive.

Would it have anything to do that its standing o its side?

thanks for your help.... i have just orderd the parts from e-bay..... i'll let ye all know how i get on... thanks again:)

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Is there a way to tell if your xbox is about to Brick?

Mine has recently started to get louder, the fan sounds to be working over time and the noise coming from the disc drive.

Would it have anything to do that its standing o its side?

Usually if it's an RROD it's pretty sudden. You may get some artifacts on the screen, jaggies, weird video display issues and after you reboot your console you're in RROD heaven.

I don't believe the fans in the xbox360 are variable, they're on or they're not. If you notice increasing noise it could be an indicator that your fan's bearings are on their way out. If it's under warranty they could be replaceable, if not it's a simple swap with some after market part like the Talismoon Whisper or something like that.

The disc drives in the 360 always sound like you're beating animals to death, horrible noises altogether. If the DVD drive goes you won't be playing games. If the console is under warranty then you've nothing to worry about. If it's not it wouldn't hurt to use a modding tool to take a dump of the DVD Key so if/when the drive does eventually go you don't have a completely unusable xbox360 and can get another drive off some retailer and get back to working order. No DVD key, no warranty and a fried DVD drive = bad news for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

My son has had an Xbox 360 for just over a year
    He had the RROd problem and thinking he was out of warranty took it to a local repair shop. They say the motherboard is dud and cannot source a replacement.

Now I've discovered that the 3 year warranty exists for the RRod problem ! Damn!

The repair shop drilled out the gpu and cpu holes, slung the X pieces, and remounted the heatsinks with bolts.

By any standards , the warranty is voided :(

Do we just dump it ?

BTW. the power unit light is yellow ? Should it not be green ?

A.

• Advertisement

Anchises wrote: »

Do we just dump it ?

Most likely. Getting a new motherboard would mean a new CPU and new DVD drive too, I doubt the repair shop salvaged anything so if the motherboard is indeed a dud, and your warranty is undoubtedly void, it's for the bin. Maybe get a second opinion but I'm n ot sure it's worth it, a new one will only set you back €220 for the elite with a few games, and less for Arcade

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

the repair centre recieved my xbox today .. i still cant login to the site though it keeps saying No service requests were found, please re-enter your information to try again or Sign In at Device Service Home to view all repair requests.

how long does it normally take to get it back from here and does it matter where you live in ireland itself?

i opened up the xbox today..... so that when the parts came it would be half done.... and so take less time to get me back gaming.... as i said in an earlier post, my brother in law had previously got it fixed outside of warranty.... so when i opened it up i was a little surprised to see only one heat snyc was changed.... if i still install my new kit on the two heat snyc's.... should it still fix my problem....???? and why would any one only change one?????
    I also noticed 5 or 6 half inch things around the heat snyc that was changed, best described as pieces of sticky stuff with what looks like plasters on them stuck to the mother board... does any one know what they are and why their there.????:confused::confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

christ 3 time now Ive overheated my xbox in order to get the display back on screen, how much abuse can it take before hopefully RRODing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Got one red sector or whatever today and an "E 74" message. :(

What should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Theres a very easy way to repair the 1 red ring on axbox so ive heard, search it up on youtube.com and see if you can find it, if you have warranty bring it back and get a new one,if your outside the one year then crack it open and attempt the fix or get a 3rd party fix which normlay costs 30-50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Got one red sector or whatever today and an "E 74" message. :(

What should I do?
    Return it, got the same on Saturday myself.

i opened up the xbox today..... so that when the parts came it would be half done.... and so take less time to get me back gaming.... as i said in an earlier post, my brother in law had previously got it fixed outside of warranty.... so when i opened it up i was a little surprised to see only one heat snyc was changed.... if i still install my new kit on the two heat snyc's.... should it still fix my problem....???? and why would any one only change one?????
    I also noticed 5 or 6 half inch things around the heat snyc that was changed, best described as pieces of sticky stuff with what looks like plasters on them stuck to the mother board... does any one know what they are and why their there.????:confused::confused:.

Pictures explain it better than words :)

Pictures explain it better than words :)

GOD I CAN'T COUNT...lol... only 4 of those things, and they look like they were stuck on top of some chips of some sort.... i also noticed the cooling fans were altered.... one fan seemed to be directly soldered to the motherboard, whilst the other one was still connected to the proper connection... please excuze the photograhy.... hope they help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I got the 3 red lights for the second time on my 3 year old console, when I rang MS they wanted to know whether the power adapter light was green or orange. Its actually orange but they wouldn't take it for repair if it was orange, so I lied.

It has been freezing a lot and the disc drive has been acting up for the last 18 months anyway so I guessed it was just another bout of red ring. So is it possible that its actually the power supply and not the console? I'm sure the last time I got rrod the power supply light was orange too.

Btw where the hell is the call centre based? It sounded like the girl was speaking a blend of English, French and Polish.

• Advertisement

GOD I CAN'T COUNT...lol... only 4 of those things, and they look like they were stuck on top of some chips of some sort.... i also noticed the cooling fans were altered.... one fan seemed to be directly soldered to the motherboard, whilst the other one was still connected to the proper connection... please excuze the photograhy.... hope they help..

Those four pads look like thermal pads, they're designed to dissipate heat off the chips they are covering. I guess they are there as a precaution because there's no direct airflow that cools the pads since they are on the underside of the case :D

My xbox and my friends xbox both have them too, they weren't put on by the repair shop, they're part of the console :)

Picture of the fans and the heatsinks?
    Nephew wrote: »
    Btw where the hell is the call centre based? It sounded like the girl was speaking a blend of English, French and Polish.

India

thanks for all the explainations touchingvirus.. heres a couple more photos... do you think that re doing the work on one heat snyc and getting rid of the x clamp on the other should get my box working again..... the aluminium one was the one that had the work done to it already........ thanks again T.V.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Nephew wrote: »
    I got the 3 red lights for the second time on my 3 year old console, when I rang MS they wanted to know whether the power adapter light was green or orange. Its actually orange but they wouldn't take it for repair if it was orange, so I lied.

It has been freezing a lot and the disc drive has been acting up for the last 18 months anyway so I guessed it was just another bout of red ring. So is it possible that its actually the power supply and not the console? I'm sure the last time I got rrod the power supply light was orange too.

might be a stupid question but is the console turned on when the light is orange? its orange on standby and green when the thing is running. the ppl on the phone can be from anywhere but your xbox is shipped off to germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Yeah the console is turned on when the adapter light is orange. I couldn't eject the disc from the drive when I got the rrod, I had to open it with a paper clip so perhaps it is the power supply.

thanks for all the explainations touchingvirus.. heres a couple more photos... do you think that re doing the work on one heat snyc and getting rid of the x clamp on the other should get my box working again..... the aluminium one was the one that had the work done to it already........ thanks again T.V.

Howdy andyone, the flat heatsink is for the GPU, it's the standard xbox heatsink. It looks like it's missing it's studs for the xclamp, so I suspect that's the one that was fixed by the other guys.

The CPU cooler looks like the original 360, complete with xclamp studs. Removal with a pliers is required there, twist them off. Keep the underside of the heatsinks off the desk and clean, so turn those heatsinks upside down :D

I'm not sure what's up with the fans there, there might be a problem with your motherboard because the 4 pin plug has a cover over it, the brown and red wires are spliced onto the board. So rather than risk breaking it, when you want to "overheat" your xbox if it still RROD's after replacing the xclamps simply take the fans away from the board, or put the xbox back together entirely and do the "towel" trick, as in wrap the xbox in a towel and block off the fan vent holes. That'll overheat it just as well as disconnecting the fans :)

I can't guarantee this'll fix it, there could be other problems causing your RROD problem but hell it'll only cost €5 and a small bit of your time to find out if this'll fix it and save you €150 on a new console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 timmyG

Does anyone know the best place to get a xbox 360 repaired in Dublin? My warranty is expired and ive 3 flashing red lights!?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

How long does it take from the Xbox being received at the repair centre to it being sent out ?

timmyG wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best place to get a xbox 360 repaired in Dublin? My warranty is expired and ive 3 flashing red lights!?:(

D.I.Y. its the way to go.... hopefully my parts will be here tis week.... missing my box

D.I.Y. its the way to go.... hopefully my parts will be here tis week.... missing my box

Haha, a convert to D.I.Y. :D

Here's another tip if you're the inquisitive type - try to get your RROD Error Code. Fire up the xbox, let those red lights flash, press & hold the sync button for the controllers then press eject. Read the number of flashing lights. Press eject again, read again. Repeat two more times to get a 4 digit code.

4 flashing lights = 0
    1 flashing light = 1
    2 flashing lights = 2
    3 flashing lights = 3

The most common one I've experienced is 0102 (Unknown Error) on three xboxs that I've fixed. Usually relates to that overheating/sh!t xclamp problem. There is an incomplete list of codes over here.

As a further update to the xbox 360 that I bought off ebay, it arrived today. It has one of those new xbox warranty stickers on it, completely intact from what I can see. There's no marking on the case around the holes at the back so there wasn't a screwdriver used to pry the case off at any point :p Error code 0102, no bootup at all, no DVD noise like almost all xboxes but surprise, surprise, it's actually still under warranty - I bluffed the guy on the phone saying I had it six weeks and only found out I needed to transfer ownership when I went to submit a repair. Thankfully the ebay seller gave me his name & address (apparently the previous owner's name is all he needed) and UPS is coming to collect it at some stage this week.

The manufacture date of the console is September 26th 2006 ..so maybe the 3 year extended warranty for RROD is in addition to the 1 year standard and not concurrent. 1 year standard warranty + 3 extra for the RROD making 4 years total protection from the 3 red lights? Other than that I can't see how on earth it's still under warranty :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Lads apologies if this has been asked before but i dont fancy reading through the 30 pages of posts!

Anyway ive an xbox 360 brought over from Ireland to New York and once i connected everything up the three flashing lights problem arose.

Ive made enquires about this in electrical stores down in the city and i have been told that a european xbox wont play here in the states.

Is this true or is it a case that the console isnt receiving enough power from the socket due to differences in voltage output in the two countries.

Any other reasons why it wont work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement