Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

noobiedoo wrote: »
    ok cheers touchingvirus, but in the usual ordinary approach do you get rid of the x clamps like in that guys vid that i posted?:)

Yes, the advanced fix appears to remove the x-clamps entirely/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Mr E wrote: »
    Proper order. Thats disgraceful.
    Hope you got her name before you left.

I wish I did, didnt have the guts to ask her name in the heat of the moment though, primary objective was getting my money or a new xbox back. Dont know should I ring Hmv in cork and ask for the manager, maybe she is the manager. either way, it was very bad form. i doubt my email to HMV based in the UK will do much damage.

im back to my crocked xbox, still works with overheating, mental stuff, console has been overheated at least 15 times now I'd say!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

up date i on my box lads......... it died again..... rrrod prone or what...... having said all that..... i'm now playing on a brand new just out of the box ELITE.......i had fun taking the other thing apart......and playing it for a couple of hours each time......:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thebillynator

i tried to register my xbox for repair but it keeps coming up as an error occured and you order cannot be processd and i rang them aswell
    what now:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They are certainly pretty quick getting the consoles repaired. Sent mine via UPS last Wednesday, and its already on its way back to me. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Agh! My xbox is gone fooked again, a couple of weeks after the towel trick for the E74. This time, however, it wasn't an E74. Every time I turn it on, the xbox seems to rev very high/loud and then I get two flashing red lights (both on the left side), then the revving stops altogether and the picture on the TV goes black and the xbox is just sitting there with the two red lights.

What should I do now? Not too sure if its in warranty or not, but I'll check.

Cheers.

Edit: My "Standard Warranty is Expired", and also, I went to turn on my Xbox there again, just to see what happens, and its back to the aul' E74. Hmmm...

And another thing, does the towel trick void the waranty? Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Kiith wrote: »
    They are certainly pretty quick getting the consoles repaired. Sent mine via UPS last Wednesday, and its already on its way back to me. Happy days.

when shud i ring UPS to arrange collection? with the new year and all i expect theyll be not collecting till next monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

How do i check the status of my xbox repair ?
    I put the service request number in and i live in dublin 11 so im guessing thats my postal code, but it just keeps saying:
    No service requests were found, please re-enter your information to try again or Sign In at Device Service Home to view all repair requests.
    Any help would be appreciated :D

Scram wrote: »
    when shud i ring UPS to arrange collection? with the new year and all i expect theyll be not collecting till next monday?

UPS are only open on Monday, expect collection on Tuesday I'd say.
    Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    How do i check the status of my xbox repair ?
    I put the service request number in and i live in dublin 11 so im guessing thats my postal code, but it just keeps saying:
    No service requests were found, please re-enter your information to try again or Sign In at Device Service Home to view all repair requests.
    Any help would be appreciated :D

Go here: https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?mkt=en-ie

Sign in with your Live ID associated with your gamertag (Ignore the box on the right about service request & zip code)

You'll see a list of xbox hardware associated with your account, ordered by serial number. The whole line is a link, click it.

You'll see something like this
    Device Information

* Device: Xbox360 Hardware
    * Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXX
    * Warranty Status: Standard Warranty Expired

* Repair Status: Waiting for Device at Service Center

Because Original Xbox has reached its end of life Microsoft no longer offers repair services for Original Xbox consoles. For more information, please read the Original Xbox support policy. Read the Original Xbox Support Policy notification

How long will this repair take and what is the status?

Your repair order goes through four stages:

* Repair order submitted - We have received your repair order and it is in the queue to be processed.
    * Waiting for device at service center - We have processed your order and are waiting for your console to arrive at our service center. The total amount of time for your repair order depends on how quickly you send your console to us by using the shipping instructions that we included. Your console should be returned to you within 2 to 3 weeks of the date that you send it to us.
    * Device received at service center - We have received your console.
    * Device shipped to customer - Your console has been repaired or replaced. We are shipping it back to you.

Standard Warranty Expired: A three-year warranty applies to conditions indicated by three red lights. Please click "request a new repair" to proceed.

• Advertisement

Agh! My xbox is gone fooked again, a couple of weeks after the towel trick for the E74. This time, however, it wasn't an E74. Every time I turn it on, the xbox seems to rev very high/loud and then I get two flashing red lights (both on the left side), then the revving stops altogether and the picture on the TV goes black and the xbox is just sitting there with the two red lights.

Cheers.

Edit: My "Standard Warranty is Expired", and also, I went to turn on my Xbox there again, just to see what happens, and its back to the aul' E74. Hmmm...

If you've got the E74, send it back for repair if it's covered under the extended warranty. Call Microsoft to check it out. Two left quadrants lighting is "Console Overheating", it is not covered by the extended warranty and goes away if you leave the console off for 10 minutes and power it on again.
    And another thing, does the towel trick void the waranty? Thanks :D

No, the "towel trick" doesn't void the warranty. It isn't a miracle cure though, not in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just ring them up and tell them you have 3 Red rings they will ask you what colour is the light on the powersupply tell them green and they will issue the repair order and send on the UPS labels, don't worry they don't check the actual error when they get it, they will just whip out the motherboard or send u a new one.

Cheers.

Mines on the way back, was shipped on the 31st according to UPS but only got the email today :)

ok sending my banjaxed xbox hopefully by ups on thursday. Hoping that MS dont notice the insides wrecked by overheating and no RROD! think i should leave a note saying "RROD after 2 hours, Please replace, would prefer not to change to Playstation!"

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    ok sending my banjaxed xbox hopefully by ups on thursday. Hoping that MS dont notice the insides wrecked by overheating and no RROD! think i should leave a note saying "RROD after 2 hours, Please replace, would prefer not to change to Playstation!"

As I've said before, RROD is a permanent error, it doesn't clear off after you power down the console. So if your console comes in with a note saying it happens after two hours they should know that not only has this console RROD'd once, it's RROD'd so many times you were able to give them an estimated timeframe - i.e. you've been overheating the console with the "towel trick"..they might not play ball.

yea but i never had it in the first place. You saying Im better off not sending a note? sending it off is worth a try anyway, my new xbox for nothing would be much better!

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    yea but i never had it in the first place. You saying Im better off not sending a note? sending it off is worth a try anyway, my new xbox for nothing would be much better!

Yep, I wouldn't bother sending a note myself. Snake Plisken seems to think you'll get a motherboard swapout anyways without them checking it, though I'm doubtful it's that easy myself :)

This is gonna sound stupid as feck but meh... Where do I get a padded box to ship the xbox? :confused: Cheers :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I didnt bother with a padded box, I threw it back into the xbox box, slapped on the UPS label. No problem

exiot wrote: »
    I didnt bother with a padded box, I threw it back into the xbox box, slapped on the UPS label. No problem

They say you shouldn't do that. Kinda the same reason why letters are sent in opaque envelopes, don't let 'em know what you're sending.

@antomorro-sei: Easons? Ask in Tesco? Any 'aul box will do as long as it's got the right dimensions. Pack with newspaper if you must :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

New Year's Resolution: Fix the Xbox/book end which has the RROD for the last year or so (it was already out of warranty)

But, can anyone recommend a decent kit to repair it? I dont know whether to just replace the heat sink compound, get a kit with the extra washers etc, or what.

seeing as there are a few of you here that have done the repairs, I'm just wondering whats the best option and where can I get it?

Cheers!;)

I've gotten a few kits off ebay, none have come back problematic. On another one I went all out with the xboxexperts Hybrid Advanced Fix, more difficult to do, but it's still washers, shims and that sort of repair. Put over 40 hours worth of gaming on it since I fixed it up on new years eve, hasn't balked yet - even the old cd reading slipups it was experiencing have vanished :)

Ebay gives you the regular fixes for €5 or thereabouts, the xboxexperts one came to €14 (ordered in USD because offered the cheapest conversion :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

RROD has hit poindexter while settling down to watch The Shield. i actually got my xbox360 off a mate, so what can i do now?? will they say well it's registered to someone else and therefore there is nothing we can do about it?

poindexter wrote: »
    RROD has hit poindexter while settling down to watch The Shield. i actually got my xbox360 off a mate, so what can i do now?? will they say well it's registered to someone else and therefore there is nothing we can do about it?

If you know your friend's name (which I assume you do), call MS support, tell them you'd like to register the console under your name. They will ask for the previous owner's name.

That is only the case if the previous owner registered the console. If it wasn't registered then you can just do this on xbox.com (including requesting a repair).

How you know if it was registered already is when you go to add it on xbox.com it'll tell you an error occurred and to contact support

TAMWORTH, GB 05/01/2010 20:07 ARRIVAL SCAN
    Woo :D
    Says it should be back on the 7th but with the roads being so bad i dont know :(

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    TAMWORTH, GB 05/01/2010 20:07 ARRIVAL SCAN
    Woo :D
    Says it should be back on the 7th but with the roads being so bad i dont know :(

Turnaround between Tamworth and Dublin is around 16 hours, so expect it to be in Dublin tomorrow at 1pm or so. Pretty sure this is too late for a pickup so it most likely won't be out for delivery until the 7th at the earliest - cross your fingers for good road conditions :D

Supposed to snow really heavy tonight :( (first time ive complained of snow :P)
    Fingers crossed :D

What are the chances of getting a new xbox with a hdmi port?

According to the Xbox website:
    Device shipped to customer - Your console has been repaired or replaced. We are shipping it back to you.

Sweet

exiot wrote: »
    What are the chances of getting a new xbox with a hdmi port?

According to the Xbox website:
    Device shipped to customer - Your console has been repaired or replaced. We are shipping it back to you.

Sweet

The chances are very low. They've got plenty of refurb'd consoles to send out as replacements, none of which have a HDMI port.

My own replacement says it was 'manufactured' in July 2009, but when I opened it up there was dust on the heatsink despite me never having plugged it in.

• Advertisement

Ah well, I do get an extra free month on live though? Not the worst!

Advertisement