Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I called MS on Saturday, they emailed me out the labels etc. Do I have to arrange for UPS to collect it now? On one of the emails there is a link to arrange collection, but it asks for a form of payment before completion.

I'm sure the last time I got rrod UPS turned up a couple of days after I rang MS without me doing anything further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

They've replaced my E74 360, new one is on it's way to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

itsjaybud wrote: »
    Lads apologies if this has been asked before but i dont fancy reading through the 30 pages of posts!

Anyway ive an xbox 360 brought over from Ireland to New York and once i connected everything up the three flashing lights problem arose.

Ive made enquires about this in electrical stores down in the city and i have been told that a european xbox wont play here in the states.

Is this true or is it a case that the console isnt receiving enough power from the socket due to differences in voltage output in the two countries.

Any other reasons why it wont work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

They are entirely correct. the USA operates on 100-110v @ 60hz, Ireland does 220-240v @ 50hz.

I've checked my power brick and it says Input: 220-240v @ 47-63hz, so while it can take the frequency of the USA power fine, it can't take the low voltage.

When the console RRODs did you check the colour of the power brick? It'll most likely be orange, indicating something is up with your power brick and not your xbox.

To solve the problem all you need to do it source a USA Xbox360 power block, shouldn't be that hard to do. Perhaps Microsoft are the best option for it because there are two different sizes of xbox360 power plugs - i.e. my old power brick can't be used in my newer xbox because the connector won't fit in the back of the console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

Hey all, I'm trying to send out a repair request for my Xbox online but it's asking me for the serial number, now there's a lot of number with the Xbox, which one exactly is the serial number? :confused:

Thanks in advance

And yes, feel free to call me a thick ijit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Keggers wrote: »
    which one exactly is the serial number? :confused:

Look on the back. See the number beside where it says "Serial Number"? That's the serial number.

I have a second-hand 360, don't have rcpt and it's out of guarentee. Called Microsoft two days ago and they will repair for free anyway - 360 picked up yesterday by UPS. Great service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Got a brand new xbox sent back today! very wuick sent it out only last monday.

Plug it in set it up turn it on bang 3 red lights

lucky it was just the power not connected proper

so after that shock boot it up woo its working put in halo 3 to test plays the opening movie then bang rrod again!!? wat the hell this is a brand new 09 xbox.. turn it on again still working.. Bring it downstairs plug it to other tv and download updates etc and swapped tvs and been running smooth ever since.....weird

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

so after that shock boot it up woo its working put in halo 3 to test plays the opening movie then bang rrod again!!? wat the hell this is a brand new 09 xbox.. turn it on again still working.. Bring it downstairs plug it to other tv and download updates etc and swapped tvs and been running smooth ever since.....weird

have you gone back to the first tv since?

I know my 360 took a few minutes to get its act back together when I first booted it up since I got it back (also the clock was wrong which I thought was weird cause it was exactly one hour behind and germany is one hour ahead?) but it crash once when I initially booted it up, but after that it has been (and still is) working fine.

Got a brand new xbox sent back today! very wuick sent it out only last monday.

Plug it in set it up turn it on bang 3 red lights

lucky it was just the power not connected proper

Sounds like a power block issue. There are only a few "temporary" RROD causes, power issues are one of them. For example, your xbox has a RROR 0102, general error. That's a perma RROD that requires fixing. You use a faulty power block, get RROD, swap to new block, no more RROD - Power RROD's are temporary ;)

See how it goes, make sure the power light is green on your block if you RROD again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

update on my xbox-

still going despite needing to overheat the console 4 times so far to get the display back on screen. crazy stuff. if i get RROD now, im fecked for an xbox over christmas so hopefully my faulty console will keep on going another while!

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    update on my xbox-

still going despite needing to overheat the console 4 times so far to get the display back on screen. crazy stuff. if i get RROD now, im fecked for an xbox over christmas so hopefully my faulty console will keep on going another while!

Haha, I see crossed fingers do I?

Microsoft told UPS I was in Clare, which is surprising because I Nato-Alphabeted my entire address. So it's still there sitting in a box waiting to be picked up. Guess I'll play on my banned one over the holidays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

firstly i would like to thank touchingvirus for all his help..... secondly i think i should thank him again.....thanks bud....

to every one else.... i got the dreaded RROD..... bought a kit (which still hasn't arrived)..... and set about doing some diy...... i done everything it said on the tin to no avail..... the box would power up for a split second and then power down thus not enabling me to overheat the syncs.... the box was trowing a 0002 code, and after talking with touchingvirus, he pointed me in the right direction...... the new screw's which replaced the old x clamp were too f**king tight.....(heavy handed fool) ... i released them by a full turn each..... and you guessed it... its working.... to say i'm impressed is an understatment..... thanks again T.V.:D:D:D

andyone wrote: »
    firstly i would like to thank touchingvirus for all his help..... secondly i think i should thank him again.....thanks bud....

to every one else.... i got the dreaded RROD..... bought a kit (which still hasn't arrived)..... and set about doing some diy...... i done everything it said on the tin to no avail..... the box would power up for a split second and then power down thus not enabling me to overheat the syncs.... the box was trowing a 0002 code, and after talking with touchingvirus, he pointed me in the right direction...... the new screw's which replaced the old x clamp were too f**king tight.....(heavy handed fool) ... i released them by a full turn each..... and you guessed it... its working.... to say i'm impressed is an understatment..... thanks again T.V.:D:D:D

You're very welcome andyone!

I'm no expert in RROD problems or console repair but think that if you're remotely handy with a screwdriver & electronics and are out of warranty then it's worth a shot to try fix the RROD error yourself before enlisting the help of the big boys (3rd party console repairers, of which there are a few here on boards.ie :))

Hope the repair lasts, the only thing questionable really is the quality of that thermal paste on those kits, but enjoy the new lease of life your xbox has gotten and go play some games ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

eightyfish wrote: »
    Look on the back. See the number beside where it says "Serial Number"? That's the serial number.

I have a second-hand 360, don't have rcpt and it's out of guarentee. Called Microsoft two days ago and they will repair for free anyway - 360 picked up yesterday by UPS. Great service.

Haha, ah bollocks that was stupid, I scoured the boxes and all the forms that came with it, but didn't think of looking on the dam machine itself! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

You're very welcome andyone!

I'm no expert in RROD problems or console repair but think that if you're remotely handy with a screwdriver & electronics and are out of warranty then it's worth a shot to try fix the RROD error yourself before enlisting the help of the big boys (3rd party console repairers, of which there are a few here on boards.ie :))

Hope the repair lasts, the only thing questionable really is the quality of that thermal paste on those kits, but enjoy the new lease of life your xbox has gotten and go play some games ;)

i done some reading,,,, and they said thet ARTIC SILVER 5 was one of the best thermal paste's... so thats what i used.... as i said kit still hasn't arrived..... so i can't vouch for what paste is in that....

andyone wrote: »
    i done some reading,,,, and they said thet ARTIC SILVER 5 was one of the best thermal paste's... so thats what i used.... as i said kit still hasn't arrived..... so i can't vouch for what paste is in that....

Great stuff, I use AS5 myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Q - Will UPS ring when they are delivering the xbox back?

I got an email during the week for xbox support saying my box had arrived for repair.

Hoping I'll get it back this week but need to be here to collect :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Q - Will UPS ring when they are delivering the xbox back?

A - Yes they rung me and arranged a change of address for pick up (I was at work the day they were returning it so they dropped it out to my office rather then my apartment)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

microsoft are pure evil.....sending my xbox back unrepaired:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

They are entirely correct. the USA operates on 100-110v @ 60hz, Ireland does 220-240v @ 50hz.

I've checked my power brick and it says Input: 220-240v @ 47-63hz, so while it can take the frequency of the USA power fine, it can't take the low voltage.

When the console RRODs did you check the colour of the power brick? It'll most likely be orange, indicating something is up with your power brick and not your xbox.

To solve the problem all you need to do it source a USA Xbox360 power block, shouldn't be that hard to do. Perhaps Microsoft are the best option for it because there are two different sizes of xbox360 power plugs - i.e. my old power brick can't be used in my newer xbox because the connector won't fit in the back of the console.

Just the last part there, my old brick does all my consoles, but my new one doesn't do older ones

Just the last part there, my old brick does all my consoles, but my new one doesn't do older ones

That's odd. I took a 360 down from my friends house in Dublin to mod and neither my brick (2006 console) nor my friends brick (2007) console fit it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

My replacement console arrived yesterday, not home till Friday, the MW2 starvation is driving me mad atm :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Last night, my xbox, got the red rings of death. :(
    I don't want to go through all 82 pages to see what I'm supposed to do next.
    The xbox is 4 years old, so what's my next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Does that towel trick actually work? I'm gonna give it a shot later...

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Last night, my xbox, got the red rings of death. :(
    I don't want to go through all 82 pages to see what I'm supposed to do next.
    The xbox is 4 years old, so what's my next step?

Call Microsoft anyways, ensure you are not able to get a warranty repair.

Failing that, consider trying to fix it yourself:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63197953&postcount=1175

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63197953&postcount=1177

If that doesn't work, try out a console repairer - there's a few here on boards (witnessmenow, consoledoc, docentore and maybe more).
    Does that towel trick actually work? I'm gonna give it a shot later...

The towel trick can work, but it's like treating the symptoms of an infection rather than the cause.

The towel trick can work, but it's like treating the symptoms of an infection rather than the cause.

Cheers, suppose I've nothing to loose by trying it.

Cheers, suppose I've nothing to loose by trying it.

Except maybe doing irrepairable damage to the console if you let it overheat for too long.

WORKED!!! :D

ive overheated my xbox 6 times now! how long more will it last??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    ive overheated my xbox 6 times now! how long more will it last??

till tomorrow? who knows...

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    till tomorrow? who knows...

im confident it'll last xmas, its not a RROD but i wish it was and maybe i can induce one :)

Advertisement