Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 - 3 Red Lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I'm a new member of the 3 ring club as of half an hour ago and I was wondering will I get the labels to ship off my xbox quicker if I fill in the repair request form online now or wait until tomorrow to ring them?

It's quicker to do it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I bought a RRoD xbox off ebay there - checked it all out with the seller that they didn't open it, mod it, get it banned off live etc etc so if they lied to me I'll just claim it back off Paypal - I wonder if MS will repair it because it's Manufactured in June 2006. The guy says he's selling it because he got a newer model and it's been back for RRoD repair once before..

If MS don't want to deal with me I think I'll crack it open and give it the cpu/gpu repasting treatment and take it from there - is there anybody here who can do RRoD repairs without having to return the xbox to MS?

And yes, I am cheap :D

you bought yourself a whole load of pain there!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭faddius

My Xbox has the 4 rings of death. I have checked the cables with a different xbox and it is the console itself.

I phoned Microsoft on their lo-call number (call centre in india) and they said that there is only a 1 year warrantee on this and NOT the three year warrantee as there would be for the 3 RROD.

Are they talking BS or is the warrantee for 1 year for 4RROD correct? My xbox is 2y10 months old.

Any advice appreciated.

faddius wrote: »
    My Xbox has the 4 rings of death. I have checked the cables with a different xbox and it is the console itself.

I phoned Microsoft on their lo-call number (call centre in india) and they said that there is only a 1 year warrantee on this and NOT the three year warrantee as there would be for the 3 RROD.

Are they talking BS or is the warrantee for 1 year for 4RROD correct? My xbox is 2y10 months old.

Any advice appreciated.

correct, i have a problem with the display not showing and only got the same 1yr warranty. i wish i had the 3 lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

^ just wrapit in a towell and force the rrod

Okay guys i had a rrod 360 fr the last six months . I bought it second hand wen it was working obviously . I forgot about it but decided to ring up xbox for the sake of it. See the date on the barcode says 2006 -9-11 so i thought it must be out of the three year warranty for the rrod repair.. Anyway the guy on the phone after giving him the serial number went onto explain how he sending me ups courier labels and how i package xbox in a bob with hd etc and id have it back in 1 to 3 weeks and also i get 1 months free live! Is that it? like they cant ask me to pay anthing now cand they? it wont be deleviered to them and they email back saying i owe 80 euro as its out of warranty or anything??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

^ just wrapit in a towell and force the rrod

Okay guys i had a rrod 360 fr the last six months . I bought it second hand wen it was working obviously . I forgot about it but decided to ring up xbox for the sake of it. See the date on the barcode says 2006 -9-11 so i thought it must be out of the three year warranty for the rrod repair.. Anyway the guy on the phone after giving him the serial number went onto explain how he sending me ups courier labels and how i package xbox in a bob with hd etc and id have it back in 1 to 3 weeks and also i get 1 months free live! Is that it? like they cant ask me to pay anthing now cand they? it wont be deleviered to them and they email back saying i owe 80 euro as its out of warranty or anything??

Nope he would have told you on the phone if it was chargable so don't worry and hopefully you'll have it back in time for xmas

just tried breaking it, of course I fixed it! no LIVE though oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    just tried breaking it, of course I fixed it! no LIVE though oddly enough.

The "towel" trick is an overheating trick, it tends to take precendence over the 3RRoD and results in two lights in the left quadrants. It disappears after you let the console cool and if there is a problem with your console then you'll get the original number of lights representative of the problem - that is, I don't believe you can use the towel trick to turn 4 into 3 ...4 into 2 yes, but even that is temporary :)

Also, if you do the overheat trick a few times, you're going to wreck components :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Got an E74 Saturday night on my 2 year old 360, no harm for it to go now instead of when it's out of the extended warranty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lads the towel trick just extends the inevitable.
    I used it for over year on my sons 360.
    My advice if your console is acting up is ring MS and organise a repair.
    Chances are they might replace the console fully like they did for me a few weeks ago.
    More than worth a try and usually only takes 8-10 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Wucking Fanker

Lads, the Xbox just went fully kaput on me there a week ago.:( I'm not overly worried as I have another in the bedroom:pac:, which I use for pretty much everything, but this one I use for whenever someone calls to the house and fancies a game of Fifa, or whatever. I'd like to have it operational again if Microsoft can/will fix it.:confused:

Basically, the Xbox was bought in June 07, so it should still be covered. I intend to follow all the tips on this thread, I just can't remember if anyone said I actually need a receipt or not?

Cheers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

No need for receipt, just ring Microsoft and tell them your serial number.
    Thats all they need.
    You could process your repair request on www.xbox.com, when i tried a few weeks back it gave an error so i rang them instead.

Cheers. I think I will ring them, cos I'd rather talk to someone about it than leave it in the hands of a computer system!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

hey,my old xbox broke a while ago so im going to be getting a brand new one for christmas

my old xbox broke for the rrod,and i really dont wanna buy a new xbox if it'll

i heard rumours of a new line of xbox 360's that wont get the rrod called "jasper" or something to that tone

so can i buy an xbox 360 this christmas without it ever getting the rrod?

itsgrand wrote: »
    hey,my old xbox broke a while ago so im going to be getting a brand new one for christmas

my old xbox broke for the rrod,and i really dont wanna buy a new xbox if it'll

i heard rumours of a new line of xbox 360's that wont get the rrod called "jasper" or something to that tone

so can i buy an xbox 360 this christmas without it ever getting the rrod?
    Wrong topic for this but yes if you get a Jasper model there is a much lower risk of getting the RROD than with some of the earlier consoles. AFAIK all new 360's are Jasper's but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

anyone try this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250530448096&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

ordered 1 earlier, will let you know how i get on

sorry if it was the wrong topic,but i appreciate your reply,thanks!

Cheers. I think I will ring them, cos I'd rather talk to someone about it than leave it in the hands of a computer system!

better to do it online, its faster and more relible. you will only be talking to someone in India who probably will struggle to understand you!

better to do it online, its faster and more relible. you will only be talking to someone in India who probably will struggle to understand you!
    Online system wouldn't work for me on Sunday, had to ring them instead.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the parcel to register on UPS's tracking system after it's been picked up for return to the repair center ?

mukki wrote: »

You could have bought the same in a hardware store :D

Basically you open your xbox360 (voiding any warranty), take out the fan shroud and the DVD drive. You then remove the fans and the front wifi board. Next you unscrew the motherboard from the metal chassis with the two X's and take it out. Using a screwdriver & careful hand you pry the x-clamps off their studs and remove the heatsinks for the CPU and GPU. You clean off the crap quality, overused thermal paste from the dye and heatsinks with thermal paste cleaner, reapply a proper amount of good quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5/Ceramique. Unscrew the xclamp holder studs from the heatsinks using a pliers.

And then you follow instructions on your kit, one washer on either side of the motherboard, and use the screws to pull the heatsink onto the dye properly. Don't forget a washer though, it could result in "tight" being too tight and could damage/crack the chip you're doing.

It could also be a good idea while you're at it to tape some cardboard to the top of the GPU heatsink fins (long and flat heatsink), this'll create a tunnel for the fan to draw air off the whole heatsink, instead of just the first part of it. There is no need for this step if your xbox has the new GPU heatsink with the heatpipe and second heatsink that's behind the CPU heatsink.

Hope it works out for ya!

• Advertisement

Cheers. It's blocked in work, so I can't do it just now, but I'm just wondering is it just fill out a form, etc? Do I still have the option to get the courier slips emailed to me/get them to bring it with them?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I'm just a little unsure as to which is the best way to go about it.

EDIT: I was wondering too, do I take my HDD out of the Xbox before sending it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gor93

you cant return it to the retailer they will just tell you were to go you have register your console on the xbox website for repair and then register a pick up date with ups (courier service)and then they bring it to germany for repair but most of the time they just send ye out a new one..........if your craving for a few more hours play do this it works good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h3uEEvrzSg it also ****s it up proper so when ye send it away for repair your gauranteed to get a new sent out to you................

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

gor93 wrote: »
    if your craving for a few more hours play do this it works good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h3uEEvrzSg it also ****s it up proper so when ye send it away for repair your gauranteed to get a new sent out to you................

It can sometimes get you a few more hours but it'll only really **** it up if you do it a lot and scorch the insides somehow! I did it the first time mine went, still got same console back.

Which died last night! Hunting for the box they sent it back in the last time to pack it up.
    Sorry if these are silly questions, I'm just a little unsure as to which is the best way to go about it.

EDIT: I was wondering too, do I take my HDD out of the Xbox before sending it?

All questions are answered once you register for repair. They send you an email with all the info. Here's a sample:

What to do next

· Remove the Hard Drive if attached (Xbox 360 only). For more information on how to do this, see KB Article 906204.

· Remove any custom faceplates (Xbox 360 only). For more information on how to do this, see KB article 907331

· Remove any discs from the disc tray. For more information, see KB article 907532 or KB article 906935. For the original Xbox, see KB article 817396.

· If you have already sent your console in for repair you can disregard the shipping instructions in this email.

It can sometimes get you a few more hours but it'll only really **** it up if you do it a lot and scorch the insides somehow! I did it the first time mine went, still got same console back.

Which died last night! Hunting for the box they sent it back in the last time to pack it up.

All questions are answered once you register for repair. They send you an email with all the info. Here's a sample:

What to do next

· Remove the Hard Drive if attached (Xbox 360 only). For more information on how to do this, see KB Article 906204.

· Remove any custom faceplates (Xbox 360 only). For more information on how to do this, see KB article 907331

· Remove any discs from the disc tray. For more information, see KB article 907532 or KB article 906935. For the original Xbox, see KB article 817396.

· If you have already sent your console in for repair you can disregard the shipping instructions in this email.

Thanks very much man, appreciate your reply. I'll do it online tonight so!

hey,advise you ring up MS and tell them to send the label with the UPS guy to come collect it at your house,i rang MS last night and they said they'd send the courier out to pick it up and that would take 3-5 days maybe.

less than 16 hours later,the courier came and picked up my xbox

very easy if you just ring em

What are the chances of getting a new Xbox as replacement, wouldn't mind getting a Jasper, my one was very noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

hello one and all, was playing need for speed today(lightly scratched disc).. when console paused and said that the disc was unreadable..... ever since then... there are three light segments around the on switch which are red....... the manual doesn't give an explaination,,,, other than seek professional help... can any one explain the reasons for, and possible remedy's also... thanks in advance
    Andyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

thread merged with sticky on 3 red lights. Andy this thread should help you, there are explanations on what the red ring of death is and how to get it replaced etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

so if i don't want to go through microsoft...... is there any one who can fix this problem locally...... will be in carlow tomorrow

• Advertisement

andyone wrote: »
    so if i don't want to go through microsoft...... is there any one who can fix this problem locally...... will be in carlow tomorrow

Why would you not go through Microsoft if you have that option? Anybody else who can fix it will void your xbox 360 warranty

Advertisement