Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious Storm likely this Saturday/Sunday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

How does this wind compare with the really bad St Stephens day we had years ago...(not sure about ten years ago)? Roof came off the grannies house and many others down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

themadchef wrote: »
    How does this wind compare with the really bad St Stephens day we had years ago...(not sure about ten years ago)? Roof came off the grannies house and many others down here.

How did your Granny fair out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Its pretty still down here in Limerick at the moment - will se see any wind tonight or will it all be tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

ian_m wrote: »
    How did your Granny fair out?

Gran had died the previous year so thank god the house was empty, but the house is next door to my parents and they were away that day, it was the most frightning experience. The window on the shed just seemed to implode too. My new fiat punto (oh god i was so proud :D), first car, was parked right under the gable of the house and slates were flying everywhere.......but it was too dangerous to move it.

It caused crazy damage all across the island and i hope it's nothing i have to see again.

We are so exposed to the elements sitting right on the sea, every beauty has it beast i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

themadchef wrote: »
    Gran had died the previous year so thank god the house was empty, but the house is next door to my parents and they were away that day, it was the most frightning experience. The window on the shed just seemed to implode too. My new fiat punto (oh god i was so proud :D), first car, was parked right under the gable of the house and slates were flying everywhere.......but it was too dangerous to move it.

It caused crazy damage all across the island and i hope it's nothing i have to see again.

We are so exposed to the elements sitting right on the sea, every beauty has it beast i guess.

Was that the year we had no electricity and i had my Christmas morning fry on a tiny gas cooker thing we found in the shed!?

My scalectric was useless:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

That was Christmas eve 1997, scary day!! Frost, cold and snow I love, heavy rain and thunder I can deal with..........but strong winds, no thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

A forum to talk about the weather on an Irish website. Who would have though.

Gale Force Warning: Stormy Weekend Weather For UK

By Sky News SkyNews - Friday, December 7 02:55 pmWeather forecasters are warning of severe gales this weekend across southwest England and southern and western Ireland.

ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody considering venturing out to sea across the Southwest Approaches has been warned to think again.

"Gales and storm winds will sweep across southwest Ireland and southwest Britain into the English Channel. Disturbed weather," says Sky News weather presenter Francis Wilson.

"There's no sign of snow for Christmas, but plenty of waterlogged ground."

There has already been a taste of things to come, with winds gusting over 70mph last night over Cardigan Bay and around the Isle of Wight and the Solent.

Many parts of Britain and Ireland have also been hit by torrential downpours, squalls and thunderstorms. More of the same is looming but with even stronger winds on the way for Sunday.

An active low pressure system has brought the wet and windy conditions eastwards, Sky News weather presenter Lucy Verasamy explained.

"Much of the South woke up to gales - gusts topped 83mph on the Isles of Scilly, 71mph on Aberporth, west Wales and 50mph along the southeast coast," she said.

"These strong, gusty winds were enough to cause some localised damage.

"In Essex, the winds brought chaos during rush hour as rail services were disrupted and trains were evacuated.

"In central London there were reports of fallen trees on Hampstead Heath."

The worst hit areas at the weekend are predicted to be Cornwall and Devon, and western parts of Connacht and Munster.

It was a year ago today that tornado-like winds ripped through parts of Britain, causing serious damage to buildings and property.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The track on this one is going to be hard to nail down.
    That said themadchef, you ARE going to see enormous winds there, but I guess you are used to it where you are. It it aint nailed down its going to blow away in many parts of the country tomorrow night :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hurricane force winds in updated forecast/outlook now for sea areas Sole and Shannon (UKMO).

Outlook until 2000 on Sat 08 Dec 2007
    Storm to hurricane force winds in Sole, Shannon, East Northern Section and East Central Section at first moderating from the west, but gales or severe gales continuing in these areas throughout the period. Gales or severe gales in Rockall, Bailey and Faeroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

150km/h gusts? That's 93mph:eek:
    Acording to the following- the low's track has been put further north in latest output.http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=42377&view=findpost&p=1124686

• Advertisement

Tonight is the proverbial "calm before a storm".
    Some people will probably die tomorrow night as a result of the storm coming. Tonight they are going about their business ..posting on forums, putting up xmas decorations, grumbling about work, wondering what to buy loved ones as presents for xmas etc etc etc

All I can say is, boardsies...dont be that person..don't drive if you dont need to tomorrow night, don't go walking by the shore, don't be driving that windy road beside the cliffs..this is a bad time of year to loose someone, tomorrow night could be the worst weather in years in many places...

If you are heading out tomorrow night :-
    • Tune into the weather forecast on the car radio home from work
    • Check http://www.met.ie forecasts for your area
    • Check the boards weather forum for up to the minute updates on the developing situation
    • If its windy...please slow down..gusts will be severe, just get home safely, your loved ones would prefer that you arrive alive.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

18z moves the LP further south, looks like the brunt of the storm will stay out to sea and over Cornwall and Devon ;)

Good advice Longfield. What time are the worst winds expected to hit tomorrow night?

rc28 wrote: »
    Good advice Longfield. What time are the worst winds expected to hit tomorrow night?

To be honest i reckon we will have worse winds tonight than tomorrow night as we are likely to be under the centre of the LP tomorrow.

Really just southern and western coast will feel the wind tomorrow, will be breezy but it looks like the Storm is taking a track to far south to affect the Dublin region.

WC hope you are right (in an Irish context - its going to be awful for many Cornish and Welsh coastal facing villages).
    This thing could track either way, storms with this much energy tend to do their own thing and make up the rules along the way.
    Definitely a case of check the forecasts before heading out tomorrow night for EVERYONE in IRL tomorrow.

By tomorrow morning it will be clearer, but no way in hell am i downgrading this beastie before tomorrow morning given the uncertainties around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

At 6am Sunday morning, the LP seems to be located right over Dublin.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn361.png

What conditions would this give? Calm but very wet?? Cold or Mild??

A

Indeed Longfield

Not often we have a storm off our coast with sustained winds of 70 knots or 80mph

Rtavn248.png

arctictree wrote: »
    At 6am Sunday morning, the LP seems to be located right over Dublin.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn361.png

What conditions would this give? Calm but very wet?? Cold or Mild??

A

Cold as the winds are likely to be strong.
    As the centre crosses the mountains for us in the east the significant "wind shadow" effect will be negated.
    East coast may not see much wind until morning Sunday but it will go from low to high pretty fast as the low clears the mountains. It all depends on the track of the low, a few degrees north or south will have massive local implications.

this is an exciting thread...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

eek. First rain form the system showing up on radar.

Met Radar

And so the Weekend from Hell begins!:cool:

• Advertisement

Looking at the ENS,s the exact location of the LP is actually more uncertain than i first thought.

The Operational having the center of the low further south than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Indeed Longfield

Not often we have a storm off our coast with sustained winds of 70 knots or 80mph

Rtavn248.png

Lads this looks rough for the weekend. Whats the very latest? Will it be very bad in the south east?????:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looking at the ENS,s the exact location of the LP is actually more uncertain than i first thought.

The Operational having the center of the low further south than most.

So is this good or bad, excuse my ignorance. How is it looking for the Limerick region?

What are meteireann playing at. On their main forecast page they just say for saturday night-"windy at first". I know there is still some uncertainty about the low's exact track but i think they are taking way too much of a risk to not even mention the possible severity.http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
    They have a separate warning out but then why to they appear to forget about it in the actual forecast.

So is this good or bad, excuse my ignorance. How is it looking for the Limerick region?
    I think you should keep checking online.

Yes if Limerick should be on alert, gusts above 70mph are likely through tomorrow night.

The track could change 100 miles north or south which could make a huge different as the core of intense winds is rather small.

Thanks for the info!

Cloud formations to the Southwest don't appear too unsettling in Weather in my Google Earth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

ian_m wrote: »
    Cloud formations to the Southwest don't appear too unsettling in Weather in my Google Earth...

How you get that on google Earth????

• Advertisement

You should have a 'Weather' layer under the 'Primary Database'. You can see cloud formations there. I'm using version 4.2.0198.2451 (beta).

Late RTE late Weather forecast just seemed to think we should just expect high winds in the south of the country...

Advertisement