Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious Storm likely this Saturday/Sunday

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

dloob wrote: »
    Seems to have calmed down a bit now if anything. I see some heavy rain to the west on the latest rainfall radar it may pick up again as that approaches.
    Pressure still seems to be dropping, the figure on my little Aldi weather station has managed to drop 3mb in the last hour. It says 969 now but I wouldn't put any trust in the actual number.

The worst winds are only about to reach you now i think, after the centre passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Air pressure now rising at Shannon. now 978 mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Air pressure now rising at Shannon. now 978 mb

968.8mb now in Galway. Lower than I thought it would go to
    That seems to be a tight pressure gradient developing between Shannon & Galway. We will see what happens in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

One way to tell if this has peaked is to watch the air pressure. at the moment in Shannon for example it's 978 mb. it was 185 mb three hours ago. when the pressure starts to rise again then you know it has peaked.
    Yes and no tbh.Pressure rises in the wake of the front by a few hpa,this to be true but if the central core pressure has not yet moved across the same region the pressure will obviously fall back,this is believed to be happening and has happend as Paddy 1 pressure is way back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

not a breath of wind here now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wind and rain has stopped here too, was gettin wild enough earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Marathon Gas Plarform has reported mean speeds above 67mph for past few hours.

I wonder if those are 1 or 2 minute means rather than 10 minute means. Also the anemometer may well be quite high on the platform, possibly not much different to being on top of cliff or headland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Still a lot of strong gusts here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Quite calm here in East Limerick at the moment - was very wild earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Quite calm here in East Limerick at the moment - was very wild earlier!

yep, dead clam here... if there was smoke it would be rising verticly:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If it happened I slept through it. But the lack of leaves/debris on the ground suggests to me it did'nt.

Mike.

Storm Realted news stories showing up now.

The stormy weather has caused up to ten thousand euro worth of damage to ballybunion lifeboat station. Link

Surfers, anglers and walkers are being urged to be extra careful when out and about this weekend. Link

and possibly related to the weather..
    A search is underway in the River Suir in County Tipperary this morning for a man who is believed to have fallen into the water last night. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well that was crap:D

In fairness though, if this storm had of actually hit us at its peak we really would not have liked it.

It was a vicious storm over the Atlantic but filled and pushed too far south to do any real damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Winds should pick up here shortly from the NW with that band of wet weather over the midlands to affect us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Pressure fell to 968.1 mb for 1 minute last night at 3.50am. The center of the low passed directly over my area at that time. Was expecting a bit of a blow in its wake, and although there is a gusty and strong wind out, it is no worse than the wind of the last few days to be honest.

I think we can all say that this is one of the more forgetable 'storms' of recent times.

At least in Co Galway anyway. Did others get the wind?

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Pressure fell to 968.1 mb for 1 minute last night at 3.50am. The center of the low passed directly over my area at that time. Was expecting a bit of a blow in its wake, and although there is a gusty and strong wind out, it is no worse than the wind of the last few days to be honest.

I think we can all say that this is one of the more forgetable 'storms' of recent times.

At least in Co Galway anyway. Did others get the wind?

hehe, A 'lets never speak of this again' kind of moment.:D

Im finished Storm watch now and back on "anything below 0c watch" still praying for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Storm in a teacup anyone? :p

What does everyone think of the models for Sunday 16th onwards. I dont want to start a new thread on it in case im way off (being new to this weather interest of mine)

From the temp charts it looks like we wont get over 6c much for that whole week. basicly leading up until xmas.Also loads of High pressure.

am i reading them right?
    cold snap on the way?

metcheck are calling a -1c in Limerick this day next week.

dont hit me if im wrong:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Lads it's very windy here still. Well maybe I'm just noticing it more :p . I can see Roche's point from my house. Do the gust readings seem any bit strong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Wind was terrible here today, first power cut 15 mins, second one over 2 hours.
    Made for a very interesting day at work. nothing like having a busy day with no power. A little calmer now though.

Fair play to those E.S.B guys that climbed those poles today. No money woulda got me up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

And the other side of country it has been less windy than the previous 5 days, with a max gust so far of only 33mph. Lowest daily gust this month to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It was windy during Saturday here with strong gusts but after that we missed the stormy weather completely. The winds were slack. I saw an item on BBC News 24 today about the high waves this week in the west. They were massive. Great for surfing:)

Advertisement