Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious Storm likely this Saturday/Sunday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

K3 reporting 56.4 ft waves
    M6 reporting 55.4 ft waves
    M3 reporting 30 ft waves (56km southwest of Mizen Head)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Valentia recorded a gust of 103.7 kmph between 2200 and 2300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

rc28 wrote: »
    An more organised band of rain is making it's way onto the west coast.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Just had a squall here. I think this band of showers has a chance of getting across to the east. Thought I heard thunder, but the wind is now very loud so it is hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its now extremely rough here in Galway. This is the 1st time in a year or so its been this windy! Last half an hour its got wild. Just been in garden and put everything i could into shed. Hope shed doesnt blow away! Parked the motorised sat dish side into the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Winds finally appear to be increasing in the far south west corner according to latest xcweather update-http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The situation with the M6 buoy is probably that the wind sensor has been damaged so that it isn't transmitting all the time, thus disabling the sustained wind part of the report which has to be a 2 min average at the hour. But these gusts are consistent with what the waves are telling me, and so I suspect it is transmitting some accurate gust data, and as you've noted, these have increased to 71 knots which is almost 80 mph or about 130 km/hr.

Would expect that very large waves will shortly come ashore in all west coast locations from about Donegal Bay south but particularly large south of Galway, I don't live in Ireland myself but I have visited the west coast so I know large parts of it are elevated beyond what any waves could damage, but some parts are low enough that they should perhaps be evacuated here and there ... storm surge could develop in any of the inlets in the southwest at the high tides but it will be a sight tomorrow come daylight. As for the winds that could hit land, these reports from Galway suggest that the low has maintained its core winds and will now proceed to deliver them to the southwest quadrant of Ireland at least, a few places could see some damage tonight from this, wouldn't go out for a drive down a country road for sure.

Marathon gas platform now gusting to 84mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I just stuck my head out the window. Expect increased winds at Roche's Point in the next update :D

snaps wrote: »
    Its now extremely rough here in Galway. This is the 1st time in a year or so its been this windy! Last half an hour its got wild. Just been in garden and put everything i could into shed. Hope shed doesnt blow away! Parked the motorised sat dish side into the wind.

Hey there Snaps, what part of Galway are you in? Just talking to my brother in Galway City and he said things are getting scary there.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

some strong gusts round my way now.Pelting down again

Pressure just dropped to 979 mb

• Advertisement

Galway city, Knocknacarra. Very exposed overlooking the bay & the burren. Front of house faces east, side south and back west.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Wind picking up here now ahead of that front,a few gusts over 20mph.Flat calm 10 mins ago.

Knocknacarra, I lived there in 2005. Beautiful location, and especially on a night like this.

Wish I could see the bay now, must be really rocking!!

K3 buoy just reported 17.2m wave!!!!!!

New shipping forcast issued. still hurricane force 12 for Shannon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/shipping/

Modest increases in wind speeds, marathon still on 84mph while valentia up to 64mph. The worst winds will be in next few hours.

snaps wrote: »
    K3 buoy just reported 17.2m wave!!!!!!
    That's higher than a couple of double decker buses on top of each other.
    Where's my surfboard....

Highest recorded gust in the last hour was Valentia with 115 Km/h

Not much change to wind speed or wave height from the lastest reports from the buoys.

I guess the storm should be making landfall within the hour?

Valentia increased to 71mph, marathon decreased to 74mph according to xcweather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭monster1

very windy here in galway!!

calmed down a bit here now in galway.

a fierce and wet night now here in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'm over on the east side of Galway City in Merlin Park.
    2nd floor of the apartment block which puts it higher than most buildings near by and gives a nice exposed view of the bay and salthill coast.
    Just popped out on the balcony facing south west and while pretty windy it didn't seem much worse than recent storms. Although as I type this now a shower has blown in and it's getting noisy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I rekon the arse is going to fall out of it now.

dloob wrote: »
    I'm over on the east side of Galway City in Merlin Park.
    2nd floor of the apartment block which puts it higher than most buildings near by and gives a nice exposed view of the bay and salthill coast.
    Just popped out on the balcony facing south west and while pretty windy it didn't seem much worse than recent storms. Although as I type this now a shower has blown in and it's getting noisy out there.

Of course we are used to much more severe weather than this in Galway, but there hasn't been much weather around this autumn/winter so compared to recently tonights little event seems huge.:)

Highest gust in the last hour was in valentia at 119 km/h

One way to tell if this has peaked is to watch the air pressure. at the moment in Shannon for example it's 978 mb. it was 185 mb three hours ago. when the pressure starts to rise again then you know it has peaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Marathon gusting to 94mph now. Rain is just starting and getting a bit breezy here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Seems to have calmed down a bit now if anything. I see some heavy rain to the west on the latest rainfall radar it may pick up again as that approaches.
    Pressure still seems to be dropping, the figure on my little Aldi weather station has managed to drop 3mb in the last hour. It says 969 now but I wouldn't put any trust in the actual number.

• Advertisement

Marathon 50 gust 82 at 01:00...

Thats a gust of 151 kmph at the Marathon Gas Platform!

Advertisement